The Surly Mountain Biking Thread

Braff Zacklin

No, you don't have to own a Surly.

This thread is for those who love single track--you have experiences, photos, videos, questions, and more. Lay them on us.

(Hopefully, wd40 will get us started with some excellent trail footage.)

And since this is a thread about mountain biking on the new forum, it seemed appropriate to leave this here:

WP_20170314_15_11_59_Pro_911

Edited by Braff Zacklin
  • Like 2

Has anybody done the Whitefish Bike Park in Montana?  I've never done downhill before and will be headed to Glacier in August and am thinking of giving it a go. I'm looking for intermediate trail at the most since I'll have my 11 year old in tow.  Looking at the trails, it's difficult to get a feel for it.  From the maps, it looks like a lot of the easy and intermediate trails feed directly into the technical trails which seems like a bizarre design. If anyone has experience there, please share.

hey, Braff:  Thanks for the kind words on the vids.  they're kind of frustrating to make because they're mostly meaningless to those who don't ride or haven't actually been on those trails.  they work for me because I can relive the rush I feel when I ride there, but they just don't do it justice.  everything is small and flat.  glad others can enjoy them a bit.  and I enjoy the editing process.

so, nothing new that isn't blasty (visible faces).  maybe I'll start drinking again and post one of those, one of these days.

Edited by wd40
  • Like 2

On 3/31/2018 at 6:40 AM, wd40 said:

they work for me because I can relive the rush I feel when I ride there, but they just don't do it justice.  everything is small and flat.

I feel ya, man. Nearly every pano or vista I shoot, I get home and look at it on the monitor and go, "That's it? It seemed so much more impressive in person."

I think our eyes are programmed to distort vertical distances (cuz gravity). Think about it--something 1000 feet straight away seems relatively close, but something 1000 feet straight above seems intimidatingly massive.

If you'll ignore the idiot in the foreground, this pic is a good example--it was taken a couple of years ago from the saddle of one of my favorite trails/climbs, some 1,700 feet above town. But it doesn't seem that high on camera.

ZJAAA3y.jpg

Things have finally warmed up and dried out enough over here. I've been hitting 'em pretty hard the past couple of weeks but haven't made the effort to take pictures. And, alas, I have no fancy GoPro footage to share, luddite that I am.

Most of our trails are fast and flowy, but today's ride was at a place that I imagine is probably similar to what one experiences in the Hill Country--techy with lots of exposure, transitions, and intervals. It essentially runs parallel to a river, riding along a rim, dropping down toward the water, then climbing back to the rim, rinse and repeat, for about 15 miles round trip.

Again, no new pictures, but here are some older ones featuring my deceased 26-inch hardtail. Flows on that day were less than 2,000 cfs; they were over 11,000 cfs today, so the river looked very different.

bjS7GDR.jpg

0pmpki4.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I feel ya, man. Nearly every pano or vista I shoot, I get home and look at it on the monitor and go, "That's it? It seemed so much more impressive in person."

I think our eyes are programmed to distort vertical distances (cuz gravity). Think about it--something 1000 feet straight away seems relatively close, but something 1000 feet straight above seems intimidatingly massive.

If you'll ignore the idiot in the foreground, this pic is a good example--it was taken a couple of years ago from the saddle of one of my favorite trails/climbs, some 1,700 feet above town. But it doesn't seem that high on camera.

ZJAAA3y.jpg

Ed Zachary

lol.  I meant the bit about vertical perception.  was too lazy to whittle your post down.  I shouldn't try to be funny at 6am.  I wasn't even thinking of the context of that punchline.   consiously, anyway.

5 hours ago, wd40 said:

lol.  I meant the bit about vertical perception.  was too lazy to whittle your post down.  I shouldn't try to be funny at 6am.  I wasn't even thinking of the context of that punchline.   consiously, anyway.

I learned about youtube vids and the total elevation perspective vortex the hard way.  By previewing trails as a newb.   "This isn't so . . . . .  ffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu"

• Like 1

I miss riding.  Just don't seem to have much time these days between work, family and other hobbies.  Also, riding alone gets boring.  Posted this before, here is my single speed.  Although I haven't any issues with the BB, I kind of wish I would have held off for a late model Santa Cruz Chameleon that didn't have an eccentric bottom bracket.

6904140829_4be65f9350_b.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Also, riding alone gets boring.

Venha para Idaho, meu amigo. Traga Big Red.

Seriously, though, dig the root beer finish on your bike. Never used an EBB--those are the ones with an offset spindle? What's the advantage to them?

All I know is, I hate press fit. Just ordered a new PF92/30 BB because my left bearings are shot. Only a year-and-a-half of use on them. It's a relatively cheap part, and the shop (that presumably botched the original install) will press them in for me, gratis.

Venha para Idaho, meu amigo. Traga Big Red.
Seriously, though, dig the root beer finish on your bike. Never used an EBB--those are the ones with an offset spindle? What's the advantage to them?
All I know is, I hate press fit. Just ordered a new PF92/30 BB because my left bearings are shot. Only a year-and-a-half of use on them. It's a relatively cheap part, and the shop (that presumably botched the original install) will press them in for me, gratis.

Tem espaço para fusca também?

Yeah, it’s designed so you can go the geared or single speed route. It has gotten a little squeaky at times, but never slipped on me that I can recall.
  • Like 1

So, apparently imgur and this website are no longer compatible?

Anyway, here's the view from the top of today's ride, courtesy of flickr:

WP_20180409_14_28_25_Pro_View from Saddle

If you look closely to the right, you can see one of the switchbacks we climbed getting to the saddle. And to the left is more of the trail (just before the descent begins).

Edited by Braff Zacklin

Looking at buying a fat bike.  We have a lot of single track in my neck of the woods, and in the winter, there are groomed off-road snowmobile trails that guys ride fat bike on.

Anyone have single track experience with a fat bike?  All research seems to indicate you'll be fine as long as you aren't looking to compete with it, which I'm not.

Don't own a fatbike myself, but have ridden a friend's on several occasions. They are a lot of fun.

People are churchin' them up these days, but I prefer the simpler, original versions: rigid fork and frame, 1x drivetrain, and mechanical disc brakes (a la Avid BB7s). Not the fastest climbers or descenders, but if you're just out to have fun and enjoy the scenery, seems like a great idea.

And since winter just ended, you should be able to get a screamin' deal on one.

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Don't own a fatbike myself, but have ridden a friend's on several occasions. They are a lot of fun.

People are churchin' them up these days, but I prefer the simpler, original versions: rigid fork and frame, 1x drivetrain, and mechanical disc brakes (a la Avid BB7s). Not the fastest climbers or descenders, but if you're just out to have fun and enjoy the scenery, seems like a great idea.

And since winter just ended, you should be able to get a screamin' deal on one.

That is exactly what's going on.  I'm pretty good friends with the guys at my local bike shop, and was up there having beers a few after-work beers last week and he knew I was kind of interested in adding a versatile bike to the fleet.  I could get into a pretty decent one for what seems like a dirt cheap price to me. 

My goal is basically to combine exercise, a little adrenaline, and scenery.  Cover ground I wouldn't otherwise, that sort of shit.  Sounds like that should do the trick.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

My goal is basically to combine exercise, a little adrenaline, and scenery.  Cover ground I wouldn't otherwise, that sort of shit.

giphy.gif

Your words pretty much sum up my approach to mountain biking and the outdoors in general.

If you--or anyone else on this forum--ever get out this way, hit me up and we'll go put the mountain in mountain biking. We literally have hundreds of miles of singletrack here with varying degrees of difficulty.

11 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

giphy.gif

Your words pretty much sum up my approach to mountain biking and the outdoors in general.

If you--or anyone else on this forum--ever get out this way, hit me up and we'll go put the mountain in mountain biking. We literally have hundreds of miles of singletrack here with varying degrees of difficulty.

Sounds good.  I'm in a good spot for MTB, for being in the Midwest.  You're in a good spot, period.  There's no relativity.

Trails are trails. I love where I am, but I also love the trails y'all post about and want to ride them. That's the beauty of mountain biking--the exploring, the experiencing of something new and undiscovered (for the observer). lapping the miles, as Emily Dickinson would say.

Introducing someone who has a similar approach is a vicarious pleasure. But I am by no means trying to imply that the trails we have here are better. They aren't. They're just different and we have lots of them.

Funny story. I thought I was a mountain biker when I lived in Austin. Then I moved to Oregon and I learned what mountain biking is. Lol. I was a Hill biker when I was in Austin.

Not to take away from anyone or anybody mountain biking I just realized the difference. Most trails here start out several miles going up the mountain. But damn it beautiful up here.

Here are a few pictures from our first fat tire snow ride we did in Bend Or a couple weeks ago. 13d117556e23b575baeefc7029b10873.jpg25bc97d4ba46d21d02a4c6eeaa57b6ee.jpg3752755e134baec55b6366e5763a6a83.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Awesome pics, Eugene.

Buddy I rode with today was telling me about some trails near Salem and how, on one ride, you can pass by 10 or so waterfalls. He loves it here but said if he ever moved elsewhere it'd probably be Oregon.

Haven't ridden Bend but hear they have a lot of great tech trails in addition to flowy XC.

Slinky+  yesterday.  bcgb today.   neither trail got touched by that crazy friday night storm.  hero dirt.

here's an edit I did while laid up with a busted leg for some buddies who went to Angel Fire.  it all looks flat as Kansas until you realize they almost never crank the pedals.  you have to mentally tilt the whole world down about 40 degrees, I guess.

Edited by wd40
  • Like 2

Awesome vid, wd. Doesn't look flat to me, but I kwym. Love the flow. And Sail is always a good listen.

While watching, kept wondering how many of those table tops I would case. (All?) Wish we had more of those here. More berms would be nice, too.

Best weather of the year so far here in SE Idaho--65, sunny, and breezy, so I went on a 22-miler. Here's a shot overlooking the north end of town and across the Snake River Plain as I was making my way home.

WP_20180415_16_27_31_Pro

• Like 1

that. is a big.  sky.

nice thing about Austin, is I can ride in the dog days of summer and not need any sunscreen.   that does not appear to be the case up yonder.

I've done some mountain riding, in CO (Durango, Salida) and CA (Santa Cruz, and between there and Los Gatos).  it's a different kind of fitness, that's for sure.  the grind (with near sea level lungs) to get to the top of Uncle Nazty on S Mountain was well worth it, though.  fun mix of tech and flowy speed.  but even in April, it felt dry and hot af.  weird.

Imgur ate your pic, Al. It seems to be doing this to everyone--they show up for a while, but then the random URL changes and the previous image URL becomes invalid.

In other news, I will be in the Austin and San Antonio areas for two weeks, starting Wednesday of next week (April 25). In hopes of maintaining what little base I've accumulated so far this spring, I'd be very grateful if one of you bastards showed me some local dirt.