Game of Thrones Season 8 (Bookfags unite)

Michael Knight

44 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’m still trying to figure out the whole Bran angle and here’s my take:

According to the show the army of the dead were created by the Children of the Forest to fight off the men (the First Men and later the Andals) that were killing all the trees and children.  

However, this act of desperation turned out to be the Children of the Forest creating Frankenstein’s monster because the dead would kill everything living.  The children, the men, and the trees were all enemies of the dead.  

The men and children worked together to contain the dead by building the Wall but it didn’t last.  

Bran represented the memory of men, the children, and the trees.  If he was destroyed, then darkness could not be stopped because history is what shapes Westerosi civilization.  All would be lost.  

I hear ya but not a big fan of this explanation. It sets Bran up as an existential threat to the NK when a more better story is that Bran somehow (perhaps unknown to him) represented a physical threat. As in Bran somehow warging into all of the dead army at once. But the story/tv show doesn't go in that direction so we have to accept their reasoning.

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

That was a lot of fun last night and some of the most heart pounding tv I've ever seen, but it still feels like Michael Bay taking over halfway through Schindler's List to me...oh what could have been fat man.

GRRM would have, and presumably will kill off more main characters in a battle like last night. D&D are more about giving the audience what they want: mainly the heroes surviving.

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

GRRM would have, and presumably will kill off more main characters in a battle like last night. D&D are more about giving the audience what they want: mainly the heroes surviving.

but are we sure that is what the audience wants? the uncertainty of who lived vs died has always been one of the biggest draws of the show if not the biggest. sure, someone always got pissed because some character bought it, but  I don't think the "audience" suddenly started demanding everyone lived.

2 minutes ago, naija said:

but are we sure that is what the audience wants? the uncertainty of who lived vs died has always been one of the biggest draws of the show if not the biggest. sure, someone always got pissed because some character bought it, but  I don't think the "audience" suddenly started demanding everyone lived.

depends on what you mean by audience: fans of the books (10%) or the show (90%)

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

When one of Dany's dragons sort of crashed landed, did it die?  Or are both of them still alive?  If she still has two, they have a distinct advantage v Cersei.

Someone said that two dragons were in next week's preview, but I don't remember seeing them both.

So Cersei's strategy has seemingly paid off.  Unless there's a massive Unsullied army that survived the battle she should win and that sucks.  I don't think the dragons can survive the badass spears that undoubtedly will be positioned around Kings Landing.  But I'm sure there will be one or two twists before it's over.  I would rather have seen the Night King win than the cunt Cersei.

6 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

When one of Dany's dragons sort of crashed landed, did it die?  Or are both of them still alive?  If she still has two, they have a distinct advantage v Cersei.

Rhaegel was sent to rehab his knees after taking a bit of a tumble. He's a game time decision on the battle of King's Landing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thujone said:

The legend of the sword is that Azor-Ahai, the hero who wielded "Lightbringer," tried forging it in water. That didn't work. Then he put it into a lion. Then into his love. Then the sword was finished. 

Wife thinks Tyrion is the Prince that Was Promised (pretty clear it ain't fucking Jon after he danced around like a dipshit all this last episode) and "Lightbringer" the sword is actually Tyrion's mind (as she said, kind of nerdy, but a very GRRM thing to do). 

Tyrion: forged of wine, not water. Killed a lion (his father). Killed his love (Shae). In that order, exactly as the legend says.

Lightbringer: enlightenment. Tyrion haz it. Break the wheel. No more kings. 

I like this theory, with one amendment.   Forged of wine instead of water is both a bit too clever for a theory that is already a bit of a stretch.   And it's a metaphorical miss, since his drunken, whoring days represent his efforts to avoid his potential (as he just discussed with Jaime in Episode 2 of this season).

But Tyrion (and/or his mind) was directly "forged" of water:   the Blackwater, which was the first major turning point for his character and set him on this path.   Blackwater, killing his father, killing Shae.  That's really Tyrion's arc to this point. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thujone said:

The legend of the sword is that Azor-Ahai, the hero who wielded "Lightbringer," tried forging it in water. That didn't work. Then he put it into a lion. Then into his love. Then the sword was finished. 

Wife thinks Tyrion is the Prince that Was Promised (pretty clear it ain't fucking Jon after he danced around like a dipshit all this last episode) and "Lightbringer" the sword is actually Tyrion's mind (as she said, kind of nerdy, but a very GRRM thing to do). 

Tyrion: forged of wine, not water. Killed a lion (his father). Killed his love (Shae). In that order, exactly as the legend says.

I like this theory, with one amendment.   Forged of wine instead of water is both a bit too clever for a theory that is already a bit of a stretch.   And it's a metaphorical miss, since his drunken, whoring days represent his efforts to avoid his potential (as he just discussed with Jaime in Episode 2 of this season).

But Tyrion (and/or his mind) was directly "forged" of water:   the Blackwater, which was the first major turning point for his character and set him on this path.   Blackwater, killing his father, killing Shae.  That's really Tyrion's arc to this point. 

2 hours ago, Thujone said:

dp

Edited by Mojo Hand

Water cooler talk led to this series ending idea which would probably be much better that what we get.

It ties in with the history...which due to greenseeing could actually be the future...

• Dany dies in the swarm of undead.
  • The Night King is severely injured but doesn't die. All his wights drop dead though. The White Walkers take Dany's body as they retreat north.
  • All the Cercei shit gets resolved.  Hot Pie on the throne. I guess Tyrion is a good option also.
  • House Stark is disseminated except for Arya. She marries Gendry. Being a bastard, the new Queen of the North legitimizes him via marriage. He is now a Stark and the House continues.
  • The Night's Watch is rebuilt since the White Walkers are still a threat.  Jon goes back to being Lord Commander.
  • Years pass.  While ranging north of the wall, Jon sees a pale woman with blue eyes in the distance. He goes towards her, recognizes her, fade to black.
Edited by CooterBrown

39 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Water cooler talk led to this series ending idea which would probably be much better that what we get.

It ties in with the history...which due to greenseeing could actually be the future...

• Dany dies in the swarm of undead.
  • The Night King is severely injured but doesn't die. All his wights drop dead though. The White Walkers take Dany's body as they retreat north.
  • All the Cercei shit gets resolved.  Hot Pie on the throne. I guess Tyrion is a good option also.
  • House Stark is disseminated except for Arya. She marries Gendry. Being a bastard, the new Queen of the North legitimizes him via marriage. He is now a Stark and the House continues.
  • The Night's Watch is rebuilt since the White Walkers are still a threat.  Jon goes back to being Lord Commander.
  • Years pass.  While ranging north of the wall, Jon sees a pale woman with blue eyes in the distance. He goes towards her, recognizes her, fade to black.

Terrible and cliche.

My version.   Arya gets caught and burned at the stake in some sort of Joan of Arc symbolism after she steps out beyond her role.  Jon and Dany fight atop their dragons but when Jon is in trouble she chooses not to aid the rightful heir and Jon is killed.  Mountain and Dog go at it, both dying and Dog weilding Beric's flame sword as the final killing blow.   Jamie and Tyrion are killed by Cercei's guards off camera.  Cercei is killed by Dany.  Dany surveys the aftermath only to be killed by Euron who was hiding.    Gendry dies in the battle.  Tormund and Brianne kill Euron and are the only lords left and create a house of giants.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

i would think lyanna would be more popular than arya.

did a great job of showing how panic set in and she reverted back to arya the little girl.

I guess...but she had spent time as a full on badass assassin. This wasn't her first rodeo.

Tyrion is not a good war-time consigliere.  More in times of peace.

Been saying that ever since eveyeoke started the whole “show ruined Tyrion/made him dumb!” Narrative.

Always felt like drop his ass off in Kings Landing and let him run the kingdom and it’ll be great.

Asking him to be a tactical genius in war time against his own family, and it’s just asking too much imo.

4 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

did a great job of showing how panic set in and she reverted back to arya the little girl.

She's tired and wounded. She was fine sneaking around until there were too many dead and she was spotted. Once that happened, well, a short, tired woman won't always be able to out-run the dead. That's when the panic set in. After a breather, she got over it.

Looks like I was right, Bran spent the entire time greenseeing trying to figure out that Hot Pie's recipes. He then realized the key to defeating the Night King, making a pie that is so hot it would melt the Night King when he tried to eat it. But before Bran could put his plan into action Arya had to go and be a hero and fuck everything up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In real life you can’t fight that fiercely for that long.  

I boxed in high school.  Back then I probably ran 5 miles five times a week at a 7:30 minute pace and it didn’t hardly phase me.  A few 2-3 minute rounds of just boxing will wear your ass out.  I can’t imagine swinging a heavy ass sword against relentless attackers for more than a few minutes.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I boxed in high school.  Back then I probably ran 5 miles five times a week at a 7:30 minute pace and it didn’t hardly phase me.  A few 2-3 minute rounds of just boxing will wear your ass out.  I can’t imagine swinging a heavy ass sword against relentless attackers for more than a few minutes.  

Faze

• Like 1

Looks like I was right, Bran spent the entire time greenseeing trying to figure out that Hot Pie's recipes. He then realized the key to defeating the Night King, making a pie that is so hot it would melt the Night King when he tried to eat it. But before Bran could put his plan into action Arya had to go and be a hero and fuck everything up. 

Maesters still working on magnetron technology.

5060c6b65954e.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

True.  And we never see them shit.  In real life, I shit.  If I saw an army of the undead coming for me, I probably would need to shit a few times.  At least 3.  

Yes, I am making fun of you.  Everyone knows they couldn't give maximum effort all the time for hours on end in a show that has dragons, magic, and zombies.   And yet, real battles without those elements happened.  It is probably why knights were so expensive to train, equip, and maintain, and did not form the bulk of armies.   Agincourt was under 3 hours and Hastings was approximated to be between 8-9 hours.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HouTex said:

So Cersei's strategy has seemingly paid off.  Unless there's a massive Unsullied army that survived the battle she should win and that sucks.  I don't think the dragons can survive the badass spears that undoubtedly will be positioned around Kings Landing.  But I'm sure there will be one or two twists before it's over.  I would rather have seen the Night King win than the cunt Cersei.

It's like people don't even remember the history of Westeros, when one king, two sister-queens, and three dragons pretty much single handedly conquered the 7 kingdoms (all, 6, and then brought Dorne in later). As long as there are dragons, and they aren't fighting the dead, they have an advantage. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mdmost said:

In a way, each of us has a Night King to face. For some, shyness might be their Night King. For others, a lack of an education might be their Night King. For us, Night King is a big, icey man who wants to kill the living. But as sure as my name is Jon Snow, the people of Winterfell can conquer their personal Night King, who happens to be the actual Night King. 

Stealing this, without attribution. 

• Like 2

something that would have been kind of cool looking if nothing else (and i was kind of waiting for it to happen)...when the dothraki did their cavalry charge into the dark unknown (smart!) and we had the kind of cool cinematography of all the flaming swords being extinguished...would have been cool if they would have just held the shot like they did, and then all of sudden, a bunch of blue-flamed swords went up and started charging winterfell. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hornian said:

It's like people don't even remember the history of Westeros, when one king, two sister-queens, and three dragons pretty much single handedly conquered the 7 kingdoms (all, 6, and then brought Dorne in later). As long as there are dragons, and they aren't fighting the dead, they have an advantage. 

What I don’t understand is why the throne has any value now when Dany has the fire breathing dragons.   

Why not just make your own throne and declare yourself ruler of the seven kingdoms until someone stops you?  Like, fuck your chair, I have the dragons.

Why should anyone recognize Cersei’s rule now that she has proved herself a coward for failure to defend her kingdom from the Army of the dead?

It’s kinda like the riddle about the rich man, the holy man, and the sell sword in a tavern.  Where does the real power lie? 

22 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

What I don’t understand is why the throne has any value now when Dany has the fire breathing dragons.   

Why not just make your own throne and declare yourself ruler of the seven kingdoms until someone stops you?  Like, fuck your chair, I have the dragons.

Why should anyone recognize Cersei’s rule now that she has proved herself a coward for failure to defend her kingdom from the Army of the dead?

It’s kinda like the riddle about the rich man, the holy man, and the sell sword in a tavern.  Where does the real power lie? 

Symbols hold power, and it's the most powerful symbol in their world.  Plus it kind of comes with King's Landing. 

13 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Symbols hold power, and it's the most powerful symbol in their world.  Plus it kind of comes with King's Landing. 

Right but Aegon the Conqueror didn’t need any symbols when he conquered Westeros, he just did it.

Then he built King’s Landing and forged the throne.  Nothing is stopping Dany from doing the same thing.  She writes the rules now, because dragons.  

Burning down King’s Landing over an uncomfortable chair seems really petty and shortsighted.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

10 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Right but Aegon the Conqueror didn’t need any symbols when he conquered Westeros, he just did it.

Then he built King’s Landing and forged the throne.  Nothing is stopping Dany from doing the same thing.  She writes the rules now, because dragons.  

Burning down King’s Landing over an uncomfortable chair seems really petty and shortsighted.

I'm sure Aegon used all of the symbols at his disposal... crowns, branded swords, and the rest.   That this particular one didn't exist back then is irrelevant. It exists now, and Dany would be stupid not to take it and the power it brings.  People believe in symbols. That's precisely why Aegon made this one, and in the particular way he did. 

Edited by Mojo Hand

10 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

I'm sure Aegon used all of the symbols at his disposal... crowns, branded swords, and the rest.   That this particular one didn't exist back then is irrelevant. It exists now, and Dany would be stupid not to take it and the power it brings.  People believe in symbols. That's precisely why Aegon made this one, and in the particular way he did. 

I understand what you’re saying and you’re not wrong but attacking King’s Landing seems dumb when you can easily destroy Cersei politically and economically while making all the seven kingdoms bend the knee in the meantime.  

Cersei’s people will turn on her and the Golden Company can be bought or destroyed if necessary.  The throne will shortly follow. 

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

That's why the Romans had a system to trade out their front rank every so often so that they could stay fresh for the fight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidis said:

something that would have been kind of cool looking if nothing else (and i was kind of waiting for it to happen)...when the dothraki did their cavalry charge into the dark unknown (smart!) and we had the kind of cool cinematography of all the flaming swords being extinguished...would have been cool if they would have just held the shot like they did, and then all of sudden, a bunch of blue-flamed swords went up and started charging winterfell. 

Thought the same thing.

Cersei’s people will turn on her and the Golden Company can be bought or destroyed if necessary.  The throne will shortly follow. 

*checks thread*

Is there a difference in the Gold Company book to show? They haven’t broke a contract since Blackfyre Rebellion in either TV or books, correct?

I remember whilst slogging through DWD and thinking some of those Gold Company and 2nd Sons would “heel turn” and pledge loyalty to their families liege lords, rightful heirs Jon and/or Dany. Is there a chance Tyrion or Varys convinces them to follow the mother of dragons?

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I'll make my own kingdom,  ...with blackjack and ... hookers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

*checks thread*

Is there a difference in the Gold Company book to show? They haven’t broke a contract since Blackfyre Rebellion in either TV or books, correct?

I remember whilst slogging through DWD and thinking some of those Gold Company and 2nd Sons would “heel turn” and pledge loyalty to their families liege lords, rightful heirs Jon and/or Dany. Is there a chance Tyrion or Varys convinces them to follow the mother of dragons?

I don't remember the nuances of any of this, but perhaps in the show, the Golden Company switches sides and it is revealed that Daario is there behind it all

• Like 1
  • Haha 1