Game of Thrones Season 8 (Bookfags unite)

Michael Knight

40 minutes ago, ernest_t_bass said:

This one got me the most.  I was like, "OK, they got that dragon.  So now she's going to circle around and just take this idiot out, right?"  That, and Cersei not ending everything with her nukes when she had the chance.

Unless Euron is an idiot, something he appears not to be, I'm assuming he has scorpions mounted at the front, back, left side, and right side of as many boats as possible.  And since you can teleport in this universe, I assume mass producing scorpions is no problem at all.   They has a bunch of them mounted on the walls of KL and it looked like every boat had at least one on it.  What's another 50-75 scorpions in this world?  

Cersei's pregnancy is a little bit of an issue for me as well, but the show has been pretty ambiguous with pregnancy in the past. Dany's took a whole season, gilly was about to pop but let the night's watch march to the fist and back before she gives birth (not to mention little Sam barely aging). 

In the end, it doesn't really matter, travel time in this era is hard to fit in narratively. Rome often just takes huge jumps in time and ages everyone up to avoid this problem. I'm not sure that's a better solution than just ignoring it like thrones does. 

15 minutes ago, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

The wheel cannot be broken.  No matter who wins, they will be facing an insurgent challenge to the throne from somewhere, forever.  I have a feeling this is what the fat man communicated to D&D and they have been hamfisting their hollywood blockbuster into that amorphous framework ever since.  

I have questions:  1) can dragons swim; 2) would dragonglass work on someone like the mountain (or Jon) the same as the WWs? 

No.  That seems to be restricted to people resurrected by the NK only.  

5 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Unless Euron is an idiot, something he appears not to be, I'm assuming he has scorpions mounted at the front, back, left side, and right side of as many boats as possible.  And since you can teleport in this universe, I assume mass producing scorpions is no problem at all.   They has a bunch of them mounted on the walls of KL and it looked like every boat had at least one on it.  What's another 50-75 scorpions in this world?  

Is it hard to mass produce scorpions?  I'd guess not, even without Gendry.

I've tried really hard not to nit pick, but the last 1.5 seasons (at least) have been a disaster, and the show has generally become a mess. That entire episode was stupid moment stacked on top of stupid moment. I've spent more hours than I could count over the last 10 years reading the books and watching the show, but this is really disappointing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

Is it hard to mass produce scorpions?  I'd guess not, even without Gendry.

Scorpions?  What show were ya'll watching?  Those are motherfucking rail guns.  Even the US Navy is jealous of Euron.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Well I hope greyworm kills some folk. He’s probably dead now but I hope he goes out on a rampage. 

I'm guessing we get a fight between him and the Mountain in which he gets killed, opening things up for the Hound to come in and do his thing. 

3 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Do we know whether D&D are going to be running any of the spinoffs? I may be out if so, dudes are total hacks who are so out of their league it's not even funny.

Looks like D&D aren't involved with the current spinoffs because they are writing a new series of Star Wars movies, lovely.

9 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Looks like D&D aren't involved with the current spinoffs because they are writing a new series of Star Wars movies, lovely.

It's a shame the assclowns couldn't have started directing Star Wars several years ago. GOT is bad fan fiction now. Fan fiction would actually be better, since D&D can't be bothered to learn their characters, or even how to pronounce their names. Fuckers both mispronounced Missandei on the Inside the Episode. Gives me a Charlie Strong not knowing his players names kind of vibe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MillerEP said:

The Starbucks coffee in the shot really does make it look like they’re all just phoning it in this season.

Exactly. It's just a metaphor about how nobody on the cast or crew gives a shit anymore.

22 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Dany has to die.  She probably obtains the throne before being assassinated by Jaime or Varys or Arya.

no, Varys plots against her for Jon. Dany finds out and burns him with dragonfire like she said she'd do. However it won't just be him. She told Jon not to tell anyone, because it would be harmful to her claim. Then Jon went and told Sansa and Arya because they're his actual family. Then Sansa told Tyrion  to get the secret out to try to protect Jon because she is watching another Stark go south to get involved in Southern dynastic issues when like 10 times out of 10 Starks end up dead doing that. So Dany will blame the Starks for whatever Varys tries and probably burn one of them as well. 

Now if the writers are smart...which they're not, but if they were, they would mirror it like the first season with Lady and Nymeria where Lady was punished for Nymeria protecting Arya from Joffrey. So Arya will be punished for Sansa trying to protect Jon. 

1 hour ago, Pods said:

It's a shame the assclowns couldn't have started directing Star Wars several years ago. GOT is bad fan fiction now. Fan fiction would actually be better, since D&D can't be bothered to learn their characters, or even how to pronounce their names. Fuckers both mispronounced Missandei on the Inside the Episode. Gives me a Charlie Strong not knowing his players names kind of vibe. 

They also both pronounce Cersei differently in those vidocs.  I've always wondered why they did that. Is it supposed to be a statement that there's no right way to pronounce it? Or is it a Charlie Strong not knowing his zip code type thing?

i've tried to keep an open mind but the show is beyond fucking stupid now.  so many small and large holes and issues.  the whole sansa hating danny for no other reason that she's a foreigner is beyond fucking stupid.  that's the very thing that jon tried to change when he took in the wildlings.  but now it's ok to hate outsiders.  this is approaching rian johnson fuck up of star wares lore with "the last jedi". 

grrrmartin has to be thinking, what the fuck are you two idiots doing to my lore?  

let this sink in.  this is the d&d's plan for the airing of the finale.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/04/game-of-thrones-creators-drunk-far-from-internet-series-finale-airs-1202057274/

if you think it's bad already and can't get worse, these shitheads just said, "hold my beer...."

“We’ll be in an undisclosed location, turning off our phones and opening various bottles,” Weiss said. “At some point, if and when it’s safe to come out again, somebody like [HBO’s ‘Thrones’ publicist Mara Mikialian] will give us a breakdown of what was out there without us having to actually experience it.”

Added Benioff, “I plan to be very drunk and very far from the internet.”

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

They also both pronounce Cersei differently in those vidocs.  I've always wondered why they did that. Is it supposed to be a statement that there's no right way to pronounce it? Or is it a Charlie Strong not knowing his zip code type thing?

Yep, remembered that right after I posted. They've done that in previous years and it's bugged me every time.

Mispronouncing the names is exactly like the Starbucks cup in the last episode. They have zero attention to detail. They don't understand the characters or story they are trying to tell. They are stupid, lazy men that hit the jackpot because GRRM thought that L+R=J was a difficult riddle to crack. 

I’m pretty much totally defeated at this point. I still try to find small slivers that I enjoy, like some of the Tyrion and Varys discussion, but it all just feels so pointless now.

It’s painfully obvious that D&D just want to get this shit over with as they just fast forward to each plot point.

3 minutes ago, Bojack said:

In the books, wasn't it Euron that had the dragon horn that could have maybe converted a dragon?  That would have been way better than laser guided super crossbow missiles.  

Yes and then he gave it to Victarion who is on his way to Meereen.

2 hours ago, Viper said:

no, Varys plots against her for Jon. Dany finds out and burns him with dragonfire like she said she'd do. However it won't just be him. She told Jon not to tell anyone, because it would be harmful to her claim. Then Jon went and told Sansa and Arya because they're his actual family. Then Sansa told Tyrion  to get the secret out to try to protect Jon because she is watching another Stark go south to get involved in Southern dynastic issues when like 10 times out of 10 Starks end up dead doing that. So Dany will blame the Starks for whatever Varys tries and probably burn one of them as well. 

Now if the writers are smart...which they're not, but if they were, they would mirror it like the first season with Lady and Nymeria where Lady was punished for Nymeria protecting Arya from Joffrey. So Arya will be punished for Sansa trying to protect Jon. 

This take is far too poetic and thoughtful for the show we’re watching.  

For this show, I think everyone except Jon Snow (Aegon Targaryan) is expendable and is more likely to die than survive. 

Jon Snow is cursed to end up on the iron throne and has been since birth despite the countless man made obstacles and his lack of ambition.

I mean, he was born a bastard and took the black only to be assassinated by his own men for treason.   It doesn’t matter if the truth of his heritage is revealed or not, he’s doomed to sit on the iron throne.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

6 hours ago, Skipper said:

I need to go back and watch again as I watched after all day boozing before/at Stars game so this could be off, but even suspending reality on the ridiculousness of that scene and taking for granted that these weapons are powerful enough to take out the dragon in the fashion that it did, then why does Daenerys and the rest of her team remain so confident they can't take Kings Landing now down a dragon? I mean it's pretty clear she is significantly outnumbered and her only advantage is the dragon, but if the dragon can be taken out that easily (and presumably these things are spread all over the walls of Kings landing to provide maximum defense), why are they acting like it's just a fact that if she chooses to burn Kings Landing (and innocent civilians) it's an automatic victory?  Seems 50/50 at best but the conflict from Daenery's and her advisors perspective doesn't appear to be "if" she will win but only how she should go about doing it (and if the fact she will win taking innocent lives means Jon would be the better King).

Among so many other issues, this was my biggest issue. The scorpions being so powerful and so plentiful really undercuts this whole, should we assassinate Dany because she’ll burn King’s Landing storyline. How the fuck is she gonna burn it when it’s surrounded by dragon-seeking missiles that auto-reload?

5 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Yeah, I was sure it was a dream when she suicide dive bombed the scorpion fleet.... 

Same. That’s how bad this show has become. Fuck D&D. They’re not even trying to end this series with an ounce of intelligence or wit.

5 hours ago, seven said:

Last year I felt they needed to add another 20 minutes of content to tie up the looser ends and re-edit for 8 episodes, really feeling the same for this season but with 7 episodes. 

They would just waste however many episodes you gave them. Last year, they’d spend tons of time doing nothing to menaingfully adavance the plot, then they’d just zoom forward past all the meaningful moments in no time.

5 hours ago, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

2) would dragonglass work on someone like the mountain (or Jon) the same as the WWs? 

They can both be killed by normal weapons (or at least we think with the Mountain), so I don’t think it really matters, but I’d bet if you stab either in the heart with dragon glass, then they’d die. 

26 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I'd assume they would want to consolidate support and fighting men from Dorne, the Vale, Riverrun, what is left of the Tyrells, and then make their move.  Seems like Dorne should have plenty of people alive and willing to fight.

No, they must rush in with boats for some reason.

Bran's character makes no sense to me. I don't see the point of his storyline at all. I thought it would be somewhat relevant during the fight with the NK but even that was dumb. Part of me is hoping there's some big reveal coming up that I'm totally not seeing because it would at least justify all the time they spent developing him as the Three-Eyed Raven. Everyone's fighting the NK and his ass wargs into a bunch of ravens? What?

Him getting pushed out the window in Ep 1 was his greatest contribution to the storyline.

3 minutes ago, austingirl said:

Bran's character makes no sense to me. I don't see the point of his storyline at all. I thought it would be somewhat relevant during the fight with the NK but even that was dumb. Part of me is hoping there's some big reveal coming up that I'm totally not seeing because it would at least justify all the time they spent developing him as the Three-Eyed Raven. Everyone's fighting the NK and his ass wargs into a bunch of ravens? What?

Him getting pushed out the window in Ep 1 was his greatest contribution to the storyline.

Seems like confirming Jon Snow’s true identity is his most significant contribution. 

48 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I'd assume they would want to consolidate support and fighting men from Dorne, the Vale, Riverrun, what is left of the Tyrells, and then make their move.  Seems like Dorne should have plenty of people alive and willing to fight.

They absolutely should but assuming the main characters in this show will act with even a semblance of logic has become a faulty premise unfortunately.

Having said that, I won’t be surprised at all if Yara builds a massive fleet off screen and sails from the Iron Idlands to Dorne back to King’s Landing in time for a sudden ambush.

6 minutes ago, austingirl said:

Yeah. He’s a great character in the books and has a ton of potential in books 6 and 7 (if they very get written by anyone), but the show writers have never known what to do with him (or really any of the fantasy/magic elements) and have complete ruined him and made him a useless character.

1 minute ago, austingirl said:

But didn't Sam confirm it, too? Did we need Bran's confirmation to be sure?

Sam discovered it.  Bran confirmed it. 

I would say Bran has more credibility than anyone since he can see literally everything.  His verification was necessary to get even Jon to believe it. 

2 minutes ago, austingirl said:

Yeah, Sam plus a harp in Lyana’s crypt could have easily sufficed.

Still can’t believe they didn’t have a shot in this episode where someone sees a harp through a hole in Lyana’s crypt.

5 minutes ago, austingirl said:

i think sam only confirmed that rhaegar and lyanna were married.  that only gets you R+L.  once you get J, it legitimizes J. 

12 minutes ago, austingirl said:

It's the way D&D have handled all the magic and fantasy elements in the story. They're woefully unqualified to cleverly weave them into the story, so they just keep it all very vague and ambiguous until they can move on from them. Like the whole NK storyline, for example.

• Like 1

Just now, CurlyDumps said:

It's the way D&D have handled all the magic and fantasy elements in the story. They're woefully unqualified to cleverly weave them into the story, so they just keep it all very vague and ambiguous until they can move on from them. Like the whole NK storyline, for example.

Yeah, most people don’t remember but the Night King is referenced in a Bran chapter in SoS.  Of course the legend of the Night King in the book is nothing like the show’s take on him. 

6 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

Scorpions?  What show were ya'll watching?  Those are motherfucking rail guns.  Even the US Navy is jealous of Euron.

So you’ve never shot a bird out of the air with a rifle whilst standing on a ship at full speed in the ocean? And all your buddies didn’t also put a round through it at the same time? Rookie. I suppose you never ignored a much easier target, like a bird sitting on the ground while you had 20 mounted rifles pointing right at it.

But to the bigger point, I believe that was the worst episode of the entire series. So much shit that made absolutely zero sense and so many people doing shit completely out of character. I was bitching the entire episode. Hell, my wife is an illiterati and even she called out a bunch of the bullshit.

I think the scene with Bronn pissed me off more than anything else, but gotdamn 90% of the episode was a beating.

On the plus side, I guess we can all be excited to read the books if they ever come out. D&D have certainly done the fatass a favor.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I think the scene with Bronn pissed me off more than anything else, but gotdamn 90% of the episode was a beating.

On the plus side, I guess we can all be excited to read the books if they ever come out. D&D have certainly done the fatass a favor.

Can't quite put my finger on it, but that Bronn scene felt off.  Like the actor wasn't quite sure how to play it.  Or we were watching a rehearsal with the actors quickly running through their lines. What specifically pissed you off about it?