Breaking news - Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris on fire

Armybrat

2 minutes ago, NowThis said:

epic photo, thanks for that. 

don't the french have the bigass planes that dump the orange fire retardant? Or the water dumping helicopters? They really are slow at everything. 

Pour wine on it maybe. 

Jesus, those aircraft are not all just sitting around ready to go. Took three days to get them to Bastrop during those fires and the planes were sitting in Oklahoma. 

• Like 1

Just now, wood said:

Everyone is slow at mobilizing these aircraft, even if they happen to be in the area, which isn't likely. They aren't just sitting around everywhere. They're in areas where there are lots of forest fires.

username checks out.

5 minutes ago, NowThis said:

epic photo, thanks for that. 

don't the french have the bigass planes that dump the orange fire retardant? Or the water dumping helicopters? They really are slow at everything. 

Hey genius. What happens when you dump heavy amounts of water on a structure that could very easily crumb given the vast majority of the frame is already gone?

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Pour wine on it maybe. 

Jesus, those aircraft are not all just sitting around ready to go. Took three days to get them to Bastrop during those fires and the planes were sitting in Oklahoma. 

Oklahoma isn't a model of efficiency. 

43 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I don’t know I’m not there. I’m just surprised they haven’t been able to get it under control. How often do we see a massive building burn completely nowadays? Much less one of such importance. 

Remember when the Texas Capitol caught on fire 35 years ago? Kudos to AFD for saving the whole building from destruction.

A TV set in the Lieutenant Governors apartment caught on fire while his daughter was entertains a couple of guests.

that precipitated the renovation of the whole building and the subsequent construction of the underground annex.

Edited by Armybrat

2 minutes ago, NowThis said:

still a big fucking area, monkey cunt. 

Are you actually holding the belief that the French, for whom this building is a national icon and a huge part of their cultural identity for nearly a thousand years, are holding back their efforts to fight this fire?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Remember when the Texas Capitol caught on fire 35 years ago? Kudos to APD for saving the whole building from destruction.

A TV set in the Lieutenant Governors apartment caught on fire while his daughter was entertains a couple of guests.

that precipitated the renovation of the whole building and the subsequent construction of the underground annex.

Can you tell us about the Great Fire of London in 1666 too?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bama Chick said:

Translation of a statement from a priest at ND -

As usual, it’s breaking news and Twitter, so grain of salt and all that.

Please be true...

The stone and wood and be replaced and the structure rebuilt. The masterpieces contained within cannot.

I’ll echo everyone here saying this is awful. I was there in the summer of 2003. I’ve also been to a few other famous landmarks on par with Notre Dame such as the Vatican. Notre Dame was the only place that gave me goosebumps. There was nothing like walking into that building and hearing the choirs singing with all of the candles lit. It was amazing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The Jersey City Fire Chief was on ABC News saying you cannot dump water on a structure like this from a plane or helicopter and not have it completely collapse. I'll take his word over your stupid fucking ass any day. 

Ask him his thoughts about football position terminology next. 

• Like 2