Breaking news - Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris on fire

Armybrat

4 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Fire looks like it's starting to intensify again to some extent.  Also looks like the hoses are a little further away.  They're getting worried about the structure  

When there's collapse hazard, they need to stay back 1.5 times the height of whatever structure might collapse...

Water supply to an 850 year old 226 foot tall building with no sprinklers or standpipes would be a nightmare, just the access with lines without standpipes would be hard, my guess is they’ll set up shop and try to pick a defendable space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

CNN Showing firefighters up in the towers. Well at least moving lights they think are firefighters. 

That seems really unwise. I don't care how historic, beautiful, or loved any structure is - if there's nobody inside, it's not worth the life of a single firefighter.

• Like 1

Just now, tokamak said:

That seems really unwise. I don't care how historic, beautiful, or loved any structure is - if there's nobody inside, it's not worth the life of a single firefighter.

I don't disagree in principle but there are probably others who would see it differently

39 minutes ago, NowThis said:

epic photo, thanks for that. 

don't the french have the bigass planes that dump the orange fire retardant? Or the water dumping helicopters? They really are slow at everything. 

36 minutes ago, NowThis said:

why open during major renovations? Just for safety , keep the public out.  Dumb French. 

Brilliant back to back takes there buddy..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Texas_Rocks said:

At this point I’m not necessarily convinced that the entire building getting wiped out by fire will be better than possibly only wiping out part of it with an early air drop.

Early air drops don't exist.

15 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Whoever built the scaffolding did a damn good job. 

Seriously, right? I mean, how could you compete with the advertisement?

"700-year-old building: Ruined. Baise les Voleurs de Terres brand scaffolding: Still Standing! Call us today for a free quote!"

Edited by Rimbo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

To think that Philippe Petit wire walked between both the Notre Dame towers and the WTC Towers and now both may disappear in his lifetime. Unimaginable.

This is like my Mom making needlepoint pillows of our cats. Both were eaten by coyotes. I've told her not to make any more needlepoint pillows of our cats.

• Like 1

The magnificent Cavaille-Coll pipe organ dating to 1868 is probably gone as well, only six years after a total restoration. Listen to this beauty, and weep.

"The theology behind the Alternatim is so spine-tingling: the Te Deum is supposed to unite the two choirs of Heaven and Earth in prasing God. So the choir here is only singing half the verses while they leave the choirs of angels and saints in Heaven to sing the alternate verses (while the organ roars out its accompaniment to them)."

5 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

I just hope they rebuild a faithful replica, resisting the French urge to do some modern reinterpretation, some kind of Centre Pompidou. 

Plenty of time to think about this later, and obviously it will depend greatly on what's left, but I disagree. Obviously something Pompidou-style would not work, but IMO there is the opportunity to combine old and new into something great if it's done right. People built the original 900 years ago with the best and most advanced construction techniques of the day - they were showing off to future generations. We should try to show people 900 years from now what we were capable of. Think about buildings like the Sydney Opera House or Guggenheim Bilboa - 20th/21st century culture can do great things. They should pay homage to the original, incorporate as much as they can, but show that in the face of tragedy we can do something even better than a brick-by-brick recreation.

25 minutes ago, Loco said:

D4N_4TiWsAAUYdD.jpg:large

I always see weird shit in images, but look at the base of the spire, the two large negative spaces look like two skull-headed aliens looking at each other, the one on the left has an ammo belt strapped across his chest, the one on the right is in a robe. #DontTellAlexJones

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gecko said:

It would appear that they are no longer shooting water into one of towers. Perhaps it’s saved.

Yeah, on the live stream I'm watching (CBSN), there's no focus whatsoever on the bell towers right now. Appears that all the focus is on the back.

This gets me thinking...

What iconic structures are out there globally that would generate this level of shock and sadness worldwide?  I’m curious what people would compare the loss of Notre Dame to.

Just off the top of my head

The Eiffel Tower

Buckingham Palace

Saint Peters Basilica

Taj Mahal

The Sphinx