Breaking news - Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris on fire

Armybrat

2 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

This gets me thinking...

What iconic structures are out there globally that would generate this level of shock and sadness worldwide?  I’m curious what people would compare the loss of Notre Dame to.

Just off the top of my head

The Eiffel Tower

Buckingham Palace

Saint Peters Basilica

Taj Mahal

The Sphinx 

Colosseum, Louvre, The White House, Empire State?, Patheon, Look kids, Big Ben/Parliament

Someone up thread posted an article from Newsweek claiming there’s been a recent spate of crime directed at French Catholic churches, so that could be a cause, but when I saw the initial flames emanating from the scaffolding area, my first thought was renovation related. Also, don’t discount European Smoking Asshole (they are everywhere), so one of the workers could have been careless with his Lucky Strike.

9 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

This gets me thinking...

What iconic structures are out there globally that would generate this level of shock and sadness worldwide?  I’m curious what people would compare the loss of Notre Dame to.

The Eiffel Tower

Buckingham Palace

Saint Peters Basilica

Taj Mahal

The Sphinx 

Kyle Field, duh. 

(Dang it, Brisket done looked into my brain)

Edited by deadshank
Gotta be fast around this joint
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Vito Andolini said:

Someone up thread posted an article from Newsweek claiming there’s been a recent spate of crime directed at French Catholic churches, so that could be a cause, but when I saw the initial flames emanating from the scaffolding area, my first thought was renovation related. Also, don’t discount European Smoking Asshole (they are everywhere), so one of the workers could have been careless with his Gauloises.

FIFY

Plenty of time to think about this later, and obviously it will depend greatly on what's left, but I disagree. Obviously something Pompidou-style would not work, but IMO there is the opportunity to combine old and new into something great if it's done right. People built the original 900 years ago with the best and most advanced construction techniques of the day - they were showing off to future generations. We should try to show people 900 years from now what we were capable of. Think about buildings like the Sydney Opera House or Guggenheim Bilboa - 20th/21st century culture can do great things. They should pay homage to the original, incorporate as much as they can, but show that in the face of tragedy we can do something even better than a brick-by-brick recreation.

No offense, but this is a horrible idea.
  • Like 2

Just now, Hate said:

No offense, but this is a horrible idea.

fuck it, its offensive, its a horribad idea.... like Aggy level bad.

we dont need to rebuild it exactly with all the built in arches, but the external and internal view need to be the same, along with the acoustics.  

The problem is, it will be 30 + years before its restored, and its going to cost multiple billions of dollars to redo.

16 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Plenty of time to think about this later, and obviously it will depend greatly on what's left, but I disagree. Obviously something Pompidou-style would not work, but IMO there is the opportunity to combine old and new into something great if it's done right. People built the original 900 years ago with the best and most advanced construction techniques of the day - they were showing off to future generations. We should try to show people 900 years from now what we were capable of. Think about buildings like the Sydney Opera House or Guggenheim Bilboa - 20th/21st century culture can do great things. They should pay homage to the original, incorporate as much as they can, but show that in the face of tragedy we can do something even better than a brick-by-brick recreation.

@Onboard 2.0 drawing up plans as we speak.  

Low bidder wins the contract.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

This gets me thinking...

The Eiffel Tower

Buckingham Palace

Saint Peters Basilica

Taj Mahal

The Sphinx 

I felt it every time I saw the empty field where Astroworld was once located in Houston

18 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

This gets me thinking...

The Eiffel Tower

Buckingham Palace

Saint Peters Basilica

Taj Mahal

The Sphinx 

il duomo in firenze. shit, most of the buildings in florence. 

leaning tower of pisa?

neuschwanstein?

1 minute ago, AUS-97HORN said:

fuck it, its offensive, its a horribad idea.... like Aggy level bad.

we dont need to rebuild it exactly with all the built in arches, but the external and internal view need to be the same, along with the acoustics.  

The problem is, it will be 30 + years before its restored, and its going to cost multiple billions of dollars to redo.

Says you.

All we gotta do is a slight tweak to migration patterns, and voila, it'll be done in a year, for a few million, max....all we gotta do is get a few trucks full of these guys to Paree.....

IMG_0440

On time.  Under-budget.  And will introduce taco truck food culture to Paris....will be fascinated to see what they do with it after a few decades...

• Like 2

My dad took me there in the late 80s. I took my then-wife in 2001. I went again with my dad in 2014. Took my kids in 2017. 

I’m no Catholic but this cathedral goes beyond religion. Hand carved stone, not a single power tool, just the strength of many generations of men and lots of ingenuity and the art.  All that art. The building itself was art. 200 years in the making. Can you imagine starting a project that you know your great great great great great great great great grandchildren will have to finish?

This is gut wrenching. I’m glad my kids got to see it. 

• Like 3

Just now, Your Mom said:

My dad took me there in the late 80s. I took my then-wife in 2001. I went again with my dad in 2014. Took my kids in 2017. 

I’m no Catholic but this cathedral goes beyond religion. Hand carved stone, not a single power tool, just the strength of many generations of men and lots of ingenuity and the art.  All that art. The building itself was art. 200 years in the making. Can you imagine starting a project that you know your great great great great great great great great grandchildren will have to finish?

This is gut wrenching. I’m glad my kids got to see it. 

This sentiment is why, the first time I picked up Pillars of the Earth, I couldn't put it down.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

The building itself was art. 200 years in the making. Can you imagine starting a project that you know your great great great great great great great great grandchildren will have to finish?

No liquidated damages clause in contract.  

6 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Was just reading an article from a few years back about how badly it needed extensive renovations. Maybe that's what was currently underway. Apparently a half ass renovation was done in the 1800's using shitty materials and it was crumbling all over the place.

I wish some of the half-ass, shitty renovations I've been a party to lasted 120- 219 years....

1 minute ago, Laxtonto said:

So who pays to rebuild Notre Dame?

The Vatican or does the French government get stuck with the bill?

I assume the church will do it all on their own, but a huge price tag.

Wouldn't it have been insured?