Breaking news - Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris on fire

Armybrat

3 minutes ago, Whiskyteer said:

Wifey and I were at the Cathedral around noon today.   We heard first responders speeding by our hotel around 7:15 this afternoon.  By 7:30, we could see the flames through the thick smoke.  So sad for the people of Paris and for the Church.  There were hundred thousand folks lining both banks shocked and distraught.  So sad :(

The handful of friends I've still got over there have been radio silent on Facebook. Of course, as a people, they tend to not be the attention whores that Americans can be.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I bet they get it done within 10 years.  1) high-profile campaign will easily get them $1-$2 billion.  Worldwide.  2) "We have the technology".   If you're a stonecutter/carpenter/etc., you're there and will get paid handsomely.

Because it's Easter Week, and because this is one of the most unearthly beautiful things I've heard on YouTube, Victimae Paschale Laudes, the Easter Sequence, sung from... Notre Dame by the Choire of Notre Dame de Paris, arranged by former cathedral organist Pierre Cochereau (d. 1984), played by current titular (er, "chief") organist Pierre Grandmaison ... in 2009.  Sound isn't terrific but it's good enough.  If nothing else, the last "Amen. Alleluia." at 3:00-3:15 is drop-dead gorgeous.

Imagine how much more unbelievably incredible this would sound in person - Notre Dame has a more resonant, lasting echo to it than most other cathedrals.  You are immediately surrounded by a swell of sound, there's almost nothing like it (and I've been to a buncha cathedrals).  Imagine this live.  Well, you can't.  Neither can I (wasn't there for this).  Unbelievably, no-words-beautiful what sounds can come from that organ in that church.

Yeah I don't think they'll have any budget constraints.  And they'll be able to use modern engineering and building techniques to rebuild it better than ever.  Just imagine the acoustics they can build into that thing.

3 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

I always see weird shit in images, but look at the base of the spire, the two large negative spaces look like two skull-headed aliens looking at each other, the one on the left has an ammo belt strapped across his chest, the one on the right is in a robe. #DontTellAlexJones

Damnit Vito, I didn't need to hear/see that...

11 minutes ago, Whiskyteer said:

Wifey and I were at the Cathedral around noon today.   We heard first responders speeding by our hotel around 7:15 this afternoon.  By 7:30, we could see the flames through the thick smoke.  So sad for the people of Paris and for the Church.  There were hundred thousand folks lining both banks shocked and distraught.  So sad :(

Surly suspect #2

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Can the sagrada familia burn, or is it all concrete and stone?

It doesn’t have the centuries behind it though. 

The timbers between the stone groin arches and the roof (I'd guess it's slate or zinc or lead) is what is burning.  This is Nantes, which burned in 2015.

GettyImages-477216500.jpg

goddammit. just waking up to see this shit. this sucks.

such an icon. there are certainly larger and arguably nicer, more grand cathedrals in Europe, but ND is so majestic there on the island, right in the middle of town

poor Paris. Poor France. they are just in some shit for what seems like so long now. One of the great cities in the world. sigh

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

WTF are those candles on the wall made out of?  How in the hell are they not melted?  Something doesn't seem right with the "inside" photos.

Glass canisters filled with oil, per the internet.

I thought the same about the photos, but the one with the illuminated cross and the smoke around the altar is from Reuters.

Edited by retread

LOL.

Like Brisket said he means the plane drops its load of water, water weighs 8.34 lbs a gallon, obviously on the higher end of the aerial tankers but a 20,000 gallon drop is dumping 165,000 pounds in a fairly small area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, mcbrisket said:

I was expecting those interior photos to be wayyyy worse.

Did the stone arches contain most of the fire from above? I see a hole or two but that's about it.

That's what it looked like. I'm guessing the spire coming down punched out one of the stone arches. 

The one on the right. 

13 minutes ago, thestud said:

Im not good at finding a proper explanation of it because I’m on my phone, but if someone had piled up some rags covered in stain/paint thinner/etc it can cause a problem as well. I’ve been on numerous fires that were spawned because of this. If they were renovating it isn’t outside the realm of possibility that this was the culprit. Also, welders seem to be a common theme as well. And then occasionally a room will be so full of fumes that it has reached its LEL and all it needs is a spark. Lots of options here

https://cultureofsafety.thesilverlining.com/safety-tips/spontaneous-combustion-of-oily-rags/

Cigarette, maybe

13 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

That's what it looked like. I'm guessing the spire coming down punched out one of the stone arches. 

The one on the right. 

Ok--I got to tell you--that looks a lot better than I would have expected.  That there are still substantial parts of the barrel vault still intact is really very promising.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

WTF are those candles on the wall made out of?  How in the hell are they not melted?  Something doesn't seem right with the "inside" photos.

What candles? I see the candle holders, but no candles.

8 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Ok--I got to tell you--that looks a lot better than I would have expected.  That there are still substantial parts of the barrel vault still intact is really very promising.

There could still be significant structural damage.  We will know more tomorrow.  It still may be compromised.  They do need to potentially shore things up until restoration can start.  

I know I will be contributing to the restoration campaign.

1 hour ago, Whiskyteer said:

This sucks.  Wife and I going to Paris next week.  She has been to Notre Dame, I have not.  Just terrible for the people there.  

Glad they saved the relics and enough of the structure to rebuild.  Still a tragedy.  

Just now, thestud said:

Damned Parisian Bomberos did a bangup job. Those boys deserve a raise or at least a nice snail dinner. Not to disparage the surly masses but very few here will ever understand or comprehend the amount of work and mental strategery that had to take place to achieve today’s outcome. The French deserve a lot of shit for a lot of things, but today they deserve a helluva commendation.

Agreed.  I have watched those guys drill while in Paris.  Getting to the blaze was a logistical nightmare.  It is the best possible outcome at this point in time.

10 minutes ago, thestud said:

Damned Parisian Bomberos did a bangup job. Those boys deserve a raise or at least a nice snail dinner. Not to disparage the surly masses but very few here will ever understand or comprehend the amount of work and mental strategery that had to take place to achieve today’s outcome. The French deserve a lot of shit for a lot of things, but today they deserve a helluva commendation.

Yep.  When they realized once they were on the scene that the roof/spire fire were a lost cause, they ran in to help remove the stuff that could not be replaced at risk of their lives.   That’s some heroic shit if I’ve ever scene/heard it.   

Edited by Trey3216
  • Like 1

Agreed.  I have watched those guys drill while in Paris.  Getting to the blaze was a logistical nightmare.  It is the best possible outcome at this point in time.
I wonder how bad traffic screwed them. It started around 6:45 so that's got to be a terrible time.
Only bright side is the core looks ok and it can be renovated to better tech

Also. Sounds like they saved some art. I'm sure a ton was lost but hopefully they got some out.

I wonder how bad traffic screwed them. It started around 6:45 so that's got to be a terrible time.
Only bright side is the core looks ok and it can be renovated to better tech

Also. Sounds like they saved some art. I'm sure a ton was lost but hopefully they got some out.
They had a guy that knew the alternate routes.

28ad347aae2a5c8a4f4dfd9dd63d2486.gif
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, BrickTop said:

Like Brisket said he means the plane drops its load of water, water weighs 8.34 lbs a gallon, obviously on the higher end of the aerial tankers but a 20,000 gallon drop is dumping 165,000 pounds in a fairly small area.

oops. never mind.

Edited by wood