Houston - best cheese enchiladas?

baboso

9 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Superica

Never been so maybe they're great but it's interesting that you recommend cheese enchiladas from an Atlanta-based restaurant group.

Other recs could include Tony's, La Fiesta and Molina's. Escalante's enchiladas are really good but not nearly as heavy as  Dart Bowl or others previously mentioned. They serve delicious queso blanca as well.

15 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Never been so maybe they're great but it's interesting that you recommend cheese enchiladas from an Atlanta-based restaurant group.

Other recs could include Tony's, La Fiesta and Molina's. Escalante's enchiladas are really good but not nearly as heavy as  Dart Bowl or others previously mentioned. They serve delicious queso blanca as well.

ford fry grew up here, so it's not the carpet bagging i initially thought it was.

18 minutes ago, elfenix said:

ford fry grew up here, so it's not the carpet bagging i initially thought it was.

Came to post this as well. And La Lucha and State of Grace are excellent. Been to Superica 5 or 6 times and its definitely the best Tex Mex in the Heights. Fry modeled his cheese enchilada after Felix’s.. which is the all time best ive had

Superica in Atlanta uses way too much cumin in the con carne.  Pretty much everywhere else here uses queso blanco for the cheese.  Pappasito's are about the best I've found in Atlanta but is a tad spendy for cheese enchiladas.

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I had low expectations thinking Mexican food from Atlanta would be terrible and have been pleasantly surprised.  

El Real are pretty good and have a fried egg option.

Spanish village are good.

Tony's mexican on Ella are my personal favorite, though.  Old School Tex mex that tastes like the places I grew up eating.  Of course you could go to the place I grew up eating...it's still there, although I haven't been in years.  La Hacienda on Memorial and Dairy Ashford.

Edited by Tylerocks

Lopez out on Kirwood or wilcrest has great, old school cheese enchiladas.  very similar to Tony's on Ella.  El Real's as mentioned are also very old school.  I think their gravy has a bit more richness to it than most.  as do the al la taylor ones at Span Vil.  Love all of them.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

Lopez out on Kirwood or wilcrest has great, old school cheese enchiladas.  very similar to Tony's on Ella.  El Real's as mentioned are also very old school.  I think their gravy has a bit more richness to it than most.  as do the al la taylor ones at Span Vil.  Love all of them.  

Love lopez.

16 hours ago, Mez2 said:

i had Teotihuacan yesterday and they were great 

I love Teotihuacan but didn't care for their cheese enchilades last time I had them; which was, admittedly, a few years ago.

should we all pour one out for Los Dos Amigos?

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

a bit surprised at listing Escalante for "best cheese enchiladas" in Houston.  Don't get me wrong, I love escalantes, but I find it hard to fathom their enchiladas would ever be considered on any best of list. They're fine, but they're definitely nothing special.  Similar to Chuy's or something along those lines.  If I am thinking of cheese enchiladas at a more high end kind of place I think of Armando's cheese enchiladas, the ones at State of Grace, El Tiempo's are certainly a bit different from a traditional tex mex cheese enchilada but do stand out.  For that matter the ones at Pappacita's are pretty damn good.  The "San Antonio" enchiladas at Mamacitas are also really really good.  Basic cheese enchilada with cili gravy, but then smothered in queso.  I haven't had those in years, but damn they're good. 

On 4/16/2019 at 2:03 PM, Tylerocks said:

El Real are pretty good and have a fried egg option.

Spanish village are good.

Tony's mexican on Ella are my personal favorite, though.  Old School Tex mex that tastes like the places I grew up eating.  Of course you could go to the place I grew up eating...it's still there, although I haven't been in years.  La Hacienda on Memorial and Dairy Ashford.

Used to love going to Tony's for enchiladas when I lived in the Heights.  Great place. 

Remember that they had some high-octane margaritas.

2 hours ago, LosIllini said:

Used to love going to Tony's for enchiladas when I lived in the Heights.  Great place. 

Remember that they had some high-octane margaritas.

Not  a Tony's fan. They have a breakfast on the weekends for $5.99. Pretty good. 

I'll probably get laughed out of this thread, but I love the fajita enchiladas at Los Cucos. 

• Like 1

Those recipes would be "Felix" recipes and not Leo's recipes last time I ate there. 

Many of the dishes at Larry's Mexican restaurant in Richmond are very similar to what Felix served. IIRC, Larry learned the trade under Felix. I grew up going to Larry's once a week. I miss it.
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, HouTex said:

Many of the dishes at Larry's Mexican restaurant in Richmond are very similar to what Felix served. IIRC, Larry learned the trade under Felix. I grew up going to Larry's once a week. I miss it.

Rep for Larry's as well as it relates to old school Tex Mex.