google fiber

futureman

heard an ad on the radio yesterday that google fiber was pulling out of another city.  I think it was a spectrum ad saying that google fiber was a failure.  what happened with this?  and why isn’t it a bigger deal?  google fiber was supposed to take off and be huge a couple years ago and it seems to be shitting the bed.

Edited by futureman
ou sucks

I read an article speculating that this was a trojan horse by Google. It's intent was to give other ISPs a kick in the butt to spur build out of their high speed infrastructure which would ultimately benefit Alphabet.  

Here's the article: https://hbr.org/2018/09/why-google-fiber-is-high-speed-internets-most-successful-failure

Edited by TonyTexas

19 minutes ago, futureman said:

heard an ad on the radio yesterday that google fiber was pulling out of another city.  what happened with this?  and why isn’t it a bigger deal?  google fiber was supposed to take off and be huge a couple years ago and it seems to be shitting the bed.

You heard a Spectrum ad. They failed in Louisville, but they are not pulling out of any other markets. They continue to expand in Austin. They are $25-50 a month cheaper than any alternative at my place in south Austin, and I've never had to reset my box, or do any sort of trouble shooting due to slowdowns in the 3 years I have had them. It's literally the exact opposite of every other ISP experience I have ever had.

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I read an article speculating that this was a trojan horse by Google. It's intent was to give other ISPs a kick in the butt to spur build out of their high speed infrastructure which would ultimately benefit Alphabet.  

That's always what it was. Google is about ad revenue. More people, more sites, more apps, more content on the web = more clicks.

Same idea behind the google labs shit like wi-fi delivered through a series of helium balloons. Marketed as a way to get networks in times of disaster  (which is 100% a valid use case) ... but more interesting as a way to get service to under--served areas. Don't fixate on the balloons idea, fixate on the "underserved areas" idea.

Thy finally turned my street on this week after trenching it about a year and a half ago.  They've really jacked up the prices from when they announced they were coming to Austin.  I was excited back then, now, not so much.  My biggest concern is giving up my austin.rr.com address that I've used for twenty years.

35 minutes ago, Horn_Spanker said:

Thy finally turned my street on this week after trenching it about a year and a half ago.  They've really jacked up the prices from when they announced they were coming to Austin.  I was excited back then, now, not so much.  My biggest concern is giving up my austin.rr.com address that I've used for twenty years.

Yes, they're very proud of their service(s) now.   I can't imagine them being much cheaper than anyone else in the market. 

45 minutes ago, Horn_Spanker said:

I'll sell you surlyguy69@hotmail.com for some best buy coupons and some pleated khakis O.B.O.

• Like 1

We're in Barton Hills and have had it for at least a couple of years.  I'd say it's slightly cheaper (was quite a bit cheaper but it's been gradually going up) and materially more reliable/faster internet than our previous Uverse.  RC/interface for DVR etc is almost identical to Uverse. 

When we first got it it was cheaper than what we were paying for AT&T but it’s crept up to being about the same now. 

I get ragey during storms because you can’t exit out of the warnings and they take up 1/3 of the screen. 

Edited by 4th&Five

5 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

You heard a Spectrum ad. They failed in Louisville, but they are not pulling out of any other markets. They continue to expand in Austin. They are $25-50 a month cheaper than any alternative at my place in south Austin, and I've never had to reset my box, or do any sort of trouble shooting due to slowdowns in the 3 years I have had them. It's literally the exact opposite of every other ISP experience I have ever had.

Minimal expansion, if any. All work is underground now which is expensive and takes forever. It’s fucked, they’ll never build a 1/4th of their original plan. People didn’t switch like they planned.

18 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Here's the article: https://hbr.org/2018/09/why-google-fiber-is-high-speed-internets-most-successful-failure

You know, I don't know about that. It may have been part of it, but DOCSIS 3.1 came along which allows for realistic 1Gb on existing docsis plant. Plus GPON technology really got going about that time. They may have given a boost, but they also started deploying at the time the above two technologies became technologically feasible.

I think some of it may be what I thought all along - providing a direct to consumer service will destroy a name. Google probably doesn't really want to go down that road. People hate the words Charter, Comcast, Spectrum, Time Warner. Google doesn't want to end up in the same boat as all those MSOs.

• 3 months later...

I have Google fiber in kc. I agree with the dude that said they never have any problems with it. The only negative I can think of is the wireless box they give you isn't the best, has no range at all. I just bought a router and turned the wireless off at the box. 

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Pretty sure google will pull the plug soon on fiber. They’re rolling out gigabit WiFi in austin now for $80/mo. Currently it’s just in multi family buildings. Eventually it’ll get to single family houses.

They might transition everyone off Google Fiber TV to YoutubeTV, but the idea that they'll "pull the plug soon on fiber" is laughable.

They've already paid for and built out their infrastructure in 10 states and 20+ metro areas. They're still laying fiber in multiple cities.

Yeah it's fine. Internet is blazing fast. TV interface is a bit weak but we mostly watch on the Rokus anyway. Biggest gripe we've had was having to go down to 2nd street and find parking to get a live person for support. But he gave us 3 new remotes for free after our dog ate all three.

Worst thing I've experienced was their coverage of the NFC championship game last year. The DB speared WR before the ball got to him and on Google fiber coverage there was no PI. Hopefully they get that technical issue worked out.

It's solid for a cable/internet company. Much better than spectrum, on par with AT&T (who I never had problems with), but better internet.

2 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Google hasn't come to my location yet, but it seemed to have spurred on others.  Signed up for AT&T "gigapower" a while back, I guess now it is called "AT&T Internet 1000."  Tends to average about 700Mbps.  After taxes its $ 74 a month. 

I miss my AT&T gigapower. I was always at around 950 Mbps. 

Loving Fiber. I used to have to reset my Fire Stick at least once a week when I had Spectrum.   Haven't done it once since we got Fiber.  As soon as we were getting installed, Spectrum sales people were camped out at the local HEB pushing in the neighborhood hard.  Those idiots should have been out talking to us 6 months ago. 

Called Spectrum today and they would not budge on the $20 increase I was hit with this month.  Cocksuckers!

Google said it would take 2 to 6 weeks to get from the curb to my house.  So let me ask about Google equipment, is this correct thinking?

1. Little white fiber termination box inside the house opposite where they mount the outside box?

2. Cat5e from the termination box to the Router?

3. Cat5e from Router to the TV box as if it's a networked device?

4. HDMI from TV box to TV?

5. Cat5e from the Router to the telephone device, and then a RG11 plugged into that?

So, the Router only has four ethernet ports, and the TV and Phone are taking up two.  Any reason the Router needs to be near the fiber termination box or the TV?

Also, fuck Spectrum!

The fiber jack doesn't have to be located opposite of the external box. Mine is attached to a joist in the basement directly below the TV. I don't use the phone, so I can't answer that part. Each TV box will need a wired connection though, I think, so if you want to put the internet box somewhere else you'll still need to run a cable to the TV box. Everything else is correct. 

Both of the boxes are pretty small compared to the equipment other providers use 

Yeah,  they will put the fiber jack most anywhere you want.  At least my installers did.  Ran fiber from the outside box, up to 2nd story and routed to junction box in master closet.

You can also use coax for the tv boxes if the house isn't wired for cat 5/6.  Coax is limited to 100Mbit but will work fine.

If you need more ports, an 8 or 10 port gigabit switch can be had for pretty cheap.  just plug into one of the ports on router and you're set. 

Also, the wireless function of the router they supply you with isn't great and may not provide good coverage depending on size and layout of the house.  It's also limited on features (lack of a guest network being a prime example). I and many others disabled the wifi on it and purchased a better AP.

The GF tech that installed my service asked me which room to put the fiber jack.  He ran it through my attic down to my office  I ditched the GF box for a Netgear switch, Linksys unmanaged switch, enGenius AP,  and Asus router.  http://itnutt.com/how-to-bypass-google-fibers-network-box/

I like hard-wired connections for everything but mobile devices and laptops.  Wireless is flaky. 

The hardware:

Netgear GS108T-200NAS  -  Only thing plugged in to this is the network cable from the fiber jack.  Don't plug in any unprotected devices, unless you're setting up a honeypot for attackers.

Linksys LGS108P  -  Plugged into the Asus router so all clients are behind a firewall.

enGenius AP  -  The wireless converage sucked using the Asus router.   Plugged the AP into the PoE port on the Linksys.

Ausus RT-AC68U  -  The wireless is turned off.  This router has CTF so 1 gbps is possible. 

If I had to do it over, I'd buy the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite or PoE instead of the Netgear switch and Asus router.  Link

I hit 940/940 from wired clients and up to 300/300 with wireless AC clients.  I was happy to ditch TWC. 

On 8/10/2019 at 7:57 PM, MC Fresh Breath said:

Google hasn't come to my location yet, but it seemed to have spurred on others.  Signed up for AT&T "gigapower" a while back, I guess now it is called "AT&T Internet 1000."  Tends to average about 700Mbps.  After taxes its $ 74 a month. 

These sound like business school case study names.  Or satire. 

• 11 months later...

I live in central Austin (Allandale).  Workers just put signs  all the way down my street and in front of my house: "No Parking - Tow Away Zone.   For questions, please call Google Fiber at XXXXX".   

All the natural gas lines have also been marked.  

I assume  Google Fiber is being installed in my neighborhood.    AT&T Fiber is already installed and Spectrum has high speed coax.   I've been switching between AT&T Fiber and Spectrum every year or two to get their latest promotional rates.  Hopefully I can add Google Fiber to the rotation.

11 minutes ago, Shaggybevo said:

I live in central Austin (Allandale).  Workers just put signs  all the way down my street and in front of my house: "No Parking - Tow Away Zone.   For questions, please call Google Fiber at XXXXX".   

I assume  Google Fiber is being installed in my neighborhood.    AT&T Fiber is already installed and Spectrum has high speed coax.   I've been switching between AT&T Fiber and Spectrum every year or two to get their latest promotional rates.  Hopefully I can add Google Fiber to the rotation.

Was installed in my house (Hyde park) a month or so ago. More plans to expand across Austin. 

It fucking rocks. So funny bc at&t is going door to door asking people to switch back offering big discounts 

1 hour ago, Redpuma said:

Was installed in my house (Hyde park) a month or so ago. More plans to expand across Austin. 

It fucking rocks. So funny bc at&t is going door to door asking people to switch back offering big discounts 

That's crazy because I was on AT&T Fiber and my promotional rate ended a couple of months ago.   I called AT&T asking to keep the promotional rate, they said no, and jacked up the rate by 50%.   So, I just switched back to Spectrum to get their promotional rate, plus Spectrum threw in an Apple TV 4K 32GB for free, which I've already sold for beer money.

2 hours ago, Shaggybevo said:

I've been seeing a lot of markings on the roads in my area (Rosedale) and was wondering if it was Google.

But when I check my address, I still get "Austin sign-ups are coming", which is what I've gotten for years.

On the plus side, Grande keeps giving me discounts every so often, even though we've been with them for 8 years, so we are at 600 Mbps for a reasonable price.  Only thing I miss from when I had a gig with them, was the upload speeds.

Is fiber more reliable than coax? I used to have AT&T at my office and it would go out all the time. I gave up and went to Spectrum and now I rarely have an issue. Based on this thread, I went to AT&T's website and it looks to be significantly cheaper than fiber with Spectrum. If I go to AT&T fiber, though, I can't have it going out like AT&T coax. Whatever issues AT&T was having with service, when the internet went out, it would also screw with my Fortinet router and cause my patient management system to stop working.

Is fiber more reliable than coax? I used to have AT&T at my office and it would go out all the time. I gave up and went to Spectrum and now I rarely have an issue. Based on this thread, I went to AT&T's website and it looks to be significantly cheaper than fiber with Spectrum. If I go to AT&T fiber, though, I can't have it going out like AT&T coax. Whatever issues AT&T was having with service, when the internet went out, it would also screw with my Fortinet router and cause my patient management system to stop working.

Fiber screws up when bent to the slightest, coax doesn’t have that problem. You must have had some bad fiber or ongoing line disturbance at your office(like construction).

• 2 months later...

So my neighborhood in SA FINALLY got fiber to the house.  Had it installed yesterday.    I'm sick of Spectrum and their service was not good.   and there modems are garbage and yes I've bought my own in the past.     To my question.   I am getting +300 wifi to all 5 devices using the google wifi routers.  which is great.   I do have a Netgear Nighthawk R6700 Router which should be good up to 1750 MPS.  Can I swap out the google routers for the netgear and expect higher up and downs?

10 minutes ago, midtown said:

I do have a Netgear Nighthawk R6700 Router which should be good up to 1750 MPS.  Can I swap out the google routers for the netgear and expect higher up and downs?

Is that speed for wifi or ethernet?  You're also limited to the speed limit of the wifi card your device uses.  300Mb/S is solid for wifi on a 1GB internet connection.

Edited by CooterBrown