What We Do In The Shadows (Show)

dogbreath

I knew nothing about this show or movie until I stumbled on this thread a few weeks ago.  All I can say is Thank You.  I binged the first season last week, watched the movie over the weekend and am up to date on this season.  The show is some of the funniest stuff I have seen on TV in years.  Nandor speaking into the mic at the city council meeting in season 1 slayed me.  I think the show is better than the movie which I found to be just OK although the line about virgin blood comparing it to a sandwich was fantastic.  

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Who’s having a Superb Owl party next year? emoji23.pngemoji23.png

I wonder if it will let us touch its little beak.

Colin Robinson is the best character on tv.  "I like to see what they come up with for the clydesdales every year."

I love the way they hiss every time there is a bible or cross.

• Like 3

On 4/22/2020 at 9:20 PM, Goofyboy said:

Who’s having a Superb Owl party next year? emoji23.pngemoji23.png

If there's no football, why not?

On 4/23/2020 at 1:49 PM, Buzzrock said:

Holy shit I just got to the trial episode of season one. Loved the cameos.

So damn funny. I smile every time I think of Nandor telling the story why he became a US citizen in 1992: "Dream Team, baby!"

On 4/23/2020 at 6:58 PM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I knew nothing about this show or movie until I stumbled on this thread a few weeks ago.  All I can say is Thank You.  I binged the first season last week, watched the movie over the weekend and am up to date on this season.  The show is some of the funniest stuff I have seen on TV in years.  Nandor speaking into the mic at the city council meeting in season 1 slayed me.  I think the show is better than the movie which I found to be just OK although the line about virgin blood comparing it to a sandwich was fantastic.  

That's the order I went too. Loved Jemaine and Flight of the Conchords but completely missed the Shadows movie. Started watching the show when it debuted last year and loved it. Finally caught the movie one night and thought it was fantastic. I think the "secondary" characters (Colin, Guillermo) are better in the TV show and the production values are much better. Each set of vampires is great. It's just an awesome show -- probably the best TV show I've seen since Veep. After this and Jojo Rabbit, I'm a complete Taika Waititi fan boy.

• Like 2

On 4/23/2020 at 6:58 PM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Love this show, though I'm bouncing around from YouTube clips to Season 2.  In the same episode as Nandor's city council speech.  The part where Laszlo is going to get rid of the raccoons.  He floats across the street, says something, floats back and say, "fucking thing bit me".  

One of us! One of us!

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

More Matt Berry centered episodes please. The Jackie Daytona segment was hilarious. 

I mentioned this on the first page, but besides IT Crowd, check out Garth Marenghi's Darkplace on YouTube - whole series of deliberately cheesy shows (forgot what it was based on, some crappy 70s hospital or something).  Matt Berry shines in it.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

I mentioned this on the first page, but besides IT Crowd, check out Garth Marenghi's Darkplace on YouTube - whole series of deliberately cheesy shows (forgot what it was based on, some crappy 70s hospital or something).  Matt Berry shines in it.

I’ve seen a lot of mixed feelings, but I really enjoyed Toast of London. 

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Did Berry kill a guy and the Brits pulled his  passport? He's been active in the industry for a pretty long time to not have not made to Hollywood. With his baritone, you'd think he'd at least pick up plenty of voice acting work. 

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Did Berry kill a guy and the Brits pulled his  passport? He's been active in the industry for a pretty long time to not have not made to Hollywood. With his baritone, you'd think he'd at least pick up plenty of voice acting work. 

He has done some voice work.  The crazy thing is, that Garth Merenghi's DarkPlace was on both SyFy and Comedy Central at some point, not to mention plenty of his other work showing up on streaming platforms.  My only guess is that his face is not quite up there with what they want.

The guy is sharp - they do a lot of improv on Shadows - this was from a recent interview he gave about it: "it’s good fun. I like it. I enjoy it. It’s different and it’s very free. The scripts are starting points and then we go from there. That’s how I like to work, anyway. So, for me, it was perfect. That’s my background, improvisation. It was home for me in that department."

I want to see Year of the Rabbit, where he plays Detective Inspector Rabbit:

Set in London in 1887, the series follows "a group of Victorian detectives including Detective Inspector Rabbit, a hardened booze-hound who’s seen it all, and his new, hapless, by-the-books partner. While investigating a local murder, the chief of police's lewd but insightful adopted daughter becomes the country's first female officer. Together, the trio must fight crime while rubbing shoulders with street gangs, crooked politicians, Bulgarian princes, spiritualists, music hall stars and the Elephant Man."

Was not expecting Mark Hamill to show up in this episode. So good. He was so happy to get that Billy Bass.

Finally got to this week’s episode. That was Mark Fucking Hamill?!?!? Gonna have to watch again.

Thought it would be impossible to get better than Colin Robinson’s episode but fuck if that didn’t come damn close.

On 5/11/2020 at 1:42 PM, atomheartbevo said:

You're liable to end up binge watching it.  This is one of those few series that hit its stride early on and then continued to improve.

Just did the entire thing today starting with the movie. I think my absolute favorite part of it all is how Lazlo yells “bat!” before he transforms. Just kills me for some reason. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I watched last week’s episode again with my wife, and I couldn’t stop laughing over the thought that he was ready to bail on everybody and everything at a moment’s notice, and that he had a bug out bag in a cheap hotel, and would find himself at small-town bar. It’s definitely within his character, but it just struck me as really funny to see it play out.