What We Do In The Shadows (Show)

dogbreath

21 minutes ago, C-Man said:

It's really funny how so many seem to be finding this show and having that exact same reaction. I've recommended it to a couple of people and before I was even to check back to see if they'd started it, they've told me they binge-watched the entire series in a couple of days.

All good but you're missing one of my favorite bits of Season 1 when Nandor went to get his US citizenship because of, "Johnson, Jordan, Bird, Barkley, Ewing -- the starting lineup for the 1992 US Men's Olympic Basketball Team. Dream Team, baby!"

LOL yeah. When I think about it, there are so many things, I could probably come up with a new list each time.  I didn't even mention anything about The Baron, and "Baron's Night Out" with the aforementioned "Now I'm a wizard" quote is probably my favorite single episode...either that or Jackie Daytona, lol... or maybe "The Trial."  Fuck they are all so good!

As for my reaction - yeah... there have really been only 1 or 2 shows that I've ever had just an instant reaction like this, in terms of it seeming like the show was "fully formed" right away and I was 100% in like 5 minutes into the show.... this one, Arrested Development and Veep fit the bill right off the top of my head.

Edited by oSuJeff97

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

As for my reaction - yeah... there have really been only 1 or 2 shows that I've ever had just an instant reaction like this, in terms of it seeming like the show was "fully formed" right away and I was 100% in like 5 minutes into the show.... this one, Arrested Development and Veep fit the bill right off the top of my head.

The world-building is so well done on this show - in less than 20 minutes, we learned an amazing amount about the witches in their world, and it felt completely like a normal part of the world.  

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The world-building is so well done on this show - in less than 20 minutes, we learned an amazing amount about the witches in their world, and it felt completely like a normal part of the world.  

They mentioned witches and their desire to steal semen in an earlier episode.  It was fun to see it pay off this week.

1 minute ago, WBT said:

They mentioned witches and their desire to steal semen in an earlier episode.  It was fun to see it pay off this week.

Yeah, awesome to see it actually play out.   And they do that a lot - things that could almost be a one-off line or even one-off episode about something that the writers have no intention of actually showing again, only to bring it back later.    For instance, there's no way Jim the Vampire doesn't come back, or Gizmo's vampire hunting squad (and the roommate of the missing vampire).

15 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Holy shit. I just discovered this show about a week ago, and binged through season 1 and am now caught up on season 2.  It's my favorite show on TV now.

"Jackie Daytona" fucking killed me.

If you haven’t yet, watch the movie. The series is better overall, but it gives you a base for where this came from and also some great characters and callbacks. 

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

If you haven’t yet, watch the movie. The series is better overall, but it gives you a base for where this came from and also some great characters and callbacks. 

Deacon:
I think we drink virgin blood because it sounds cool.

Vladislav:
I think of it like this. If you are going to eat a sandwich, you would just enjoy it more if you knew no one had fucked it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

All good but you're missing one of my favorite bits of Season 1 when Nandor went to get his US citizenship because of, "Johnson, Jordan, Bird, Barkley, Ewing -- the starting lineup for the 1992 US Men's Olympic Basketball Team. Dream Team, baby!"

Why didn't you complete the citizenship process in 1992?

Probably because the macarena swept the nation. I really didn't have time for anything else.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/6/2020 at 2:57 AM, Nicole44 said:

Deacon:
I think we drink virgin blood because it sounds cool.

Vladislav:
I think of it like this. If you are going to eat a sandwich, you would just enjoy it more if you knew no one had fucked it.

LOL that's awesome. Yeah watching the movie is definitely on the list. I've watched the trailer a bunch of times and I've watched the original short film on YouTube.

Sort of a related quote from the series that cracked me up... it was the one when Simon the Devious returned and they were inquiring about eating Guillermo.... and Nandor said something like, "Well you figure if someone hasn't eaten him already there must be something wrong... like the last doughnut in the display case..."

On 6/8/2020 at 11:55 AM, oSuJeff97 said:

LOL that's awesome. Yeah watching the movie is definitely on the list. I've watched the trailer a bunch of times and I've watched the original short film on YouTube.

Sort of a related quote from the series that cracked me up... it was the one when Simon the Devious returned and they were inquiring about eating Guillermo.... and Nandor said something like, "Well you figure if someone hasn't eaten him already there must be something wrong... like the last doughnut in the display case..."

For some reason this quote from the movie cracks me (Deacon is trying to comfort Nick who has just lost his friend):

This is what happens when you're a vampire. You have to watch everyone die. Your mother and father. All your friends. Sometimes brutal, like slipping and falling onto a giant spike. Or falling asleep in an autumn pile of leaves and having some of them block your windpipe.

Or making the simple mistake of fashioning a mask out of crackers and being attacked by ducks, geese, swans.

Or even dying of old age, but even old age is brutal.

Watching your friends grow old. They can't piss, and they say stupid things, and their brains go, and they can't remember anything. And then one day they can't even remember who you are, and you wish they were dead, and then they do die.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Random but: I skip the intro for almost every streaming show but this one. I like the song and love all the old pics of the characters.

Crazy to think the song is from the 60s.  When I first heard it, I assumed it was some little current band that made it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Crazy to think the song is from the 60s.  When I first heard it, I assumed it was some little current band that made it.

Yeah, I went looking for the song last year after I started watching the show. Just checked and "You're Dead" now has 3,816,000 plays on Spotify. 

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

The little tuba intro when you watch it on Hulu with Nandor trying to figure out the computer cracks me up.

LOL me too.

That whole bit with him checking e-mail and finding "the curse" is one of the best bits on the show.... "THIS IS NOT A JOKE!  It says that several times!!!!"

Great finale.  There were so many great lines from the on stage re-enactment onward.  I also loved Nandor's Dream Team Jordan jersey and Collin Robinson saying he wouldn't be the others' Mr. Belvedere and followed it up with a Uecker reference.

Edited by WBT
  • Like 1

Yeah great finale. I need to watch it another 10 times to catch all of the lines, lol.

The opening bit with the house disgusting and in shambles without Guillermo was hysterical.... and Nandor bringing back his Jordan Dream Team jersey was fantastic, lol.

• Like 1

I don’t actually laugh out loud very often during TV shows but this is definitely the exception. That last episode was so good. Damn near every line was perfect.

“That’s your hot take? You have a problem with the choreography?”

“That’s Pamela! Don’t embarrass me...”

The cast, characters, and writing are just perfect. FX is killing it lately.

• Like 1

Wow that was good. Great Jermaine cameo too. 

“We’re vampires, we can all do it.”

How long until the next season?  Do we know if it’s delayed because of this fucking virus?  I may just start from the beginning again. I binged all of it in one day and only caught three episodes in real time. I don’t want to wait!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

“I don’t care what the fuck your name is. We had to pick up our own laundry!”

Was a beautiful ending.    At times you knew Nandor didn’t care enough to learn stuff about Gizmo, at other times it seemed like he was either covering for him, or was embarrassed that his familiar had killed other vampires.     Or all three.   

Jermaine Clement has left the show and the writing room. He also mentioned that the big hope for the season two finale would be to get Antonio Banderas since he is Guillermo’s hero. There just wasn’t a way to make that happen. 

I hope this doesn’t change the quality of humor too much for season three.

On 6/12/2020 at 5:29 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Wow that was good. Great Jermaine cameo too. 

“We’re vampires, we can all do it.”

How long until the next season?  Do we know if it’s delayed because of this fucking virus?  I may just start from the beginning again. I binged all of it in one day and only caught three episodes in real time. I don’t want to wait!

My guess is that it will be awhile before we see Season 3.

42 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Jermaine Clement has left the show and the writing room. He also mentioned that the big hope for the season two finale would be to get Antonio Banderas since he is Guillermo’s hero. There just wasn’t a way to make that happen. 

I hope this doesn’t change the quality of humor too much for season three.

Well that's unfortunate.

20 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Well that's unfortunate.

Yeah. Bummed. Apparently he is creating a new show and also in the new Avatar movie. I didn’t want to post a link because most of the sites are like fan sites types. 
Quote from him though:

The writers will have to figure that one out because I won’t be in the writers’ room next season. I’m leaving them with this big problem to work out. I think it’s a good idea to end on a big cliffhanger, we did the same thing last season. Now they can figure out how to get out of this big mess.