Minneapolis recs?

Zepol87

Give me some good recommendations around Target Field. Taking the older kid up there at the end of the month to see her best friend. Getting a free day to myself while they go to Mall of America with the friend's mom so I'm going to take in a Twins day game and mill about downtown. Staying near the University of Minnesota so I think I can take the metro downtown from there. I was going to see about Surly Brewing. 

Edited by mdmost

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Give me some good recommendations around Target Field. Taking the older kid up there at the end of the month to see her best friend. Getting a free day to myself while they go to Mall of America with the friend's mom so I'm going to take in a Twins day game and mill about downtown. Staying near the University of Minnesota so I think I can take the metro downtown from there. I was going to see about Surly Brewing. 

Runyons for wings, or Pizza Luce, both within blocks of Target would be my recommendations for good solid food. If you want something more high end there is Murray's Steakhouse. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Looks like there are some good reccos to sift through but any specific recommendation for a place to sit at the bar and eat dinner after flying in? Downtown Hilton, looks like I’m not meeting up with the rest of the crew until the morning.

Brit's Pub is right on the corner. (English pub fare with a beautiful roof top if the weather's nice.)

Butcher's Tale isn't much farther. (The place for carnivors and whiskey nuts).

• Hook 'Em 1

Minneapolis rehash:

First off, being from San Antonio, I find it completely hypocritical to call any other city's women fat, but good lord there are a lot of white women in Minneapolis who are built like Stonie Clark from the waist down. No wonder the big 10 keeps cranking out nfl olinemen.

Brit's was cool. To call what they have up there a rooftop bar is a disservice. I mean, it's like a football field up there. Watched some NBA finals on their big screen outside. Neat place. 

Murray's was really good. I didn't go for the monster steak because I'm pretty sure I would have killed myself trying to finish it. But the steak I had was fantastic. Note: there is decent amount of seating at the bar if you don't have a reservation. 

The bar next door to Murray's is fine too. Forget the name. I found a surprising lack of bars downtown open during the day but this one was. Enjoyed the team photo from the first twolves season. Scott Roth and Pooh Richardson for the win (but not many of them). 

The juicy Lucy at Matt's was good. Not life altering or anything, but a really good burger. That's a great dive btw. Love those types of joints. I'm pretty sure that's the first place I've ever eaten that didn't have ice. Much respect. 

I wasn't overly impressed with breakfast bar. The soul music cranked to 11 while nursing my (quite delicious) bloody mary and hangover didn't help. Decent biscuits and gravy. Grits were really runny. 

Target Field - I'm not much of a baseball fan but I do love going to MLB stadiums. Good time, good stadium. The Kent Hrbek statue threw me for a loop. I just picture aliens finding our uninhabited planet thousands of years from now trying to piece together our history stumbling across the Kent fucking buy me a vowel Hrbek statue. Did Kirby get a statue too? 

Smack Shack was good. We ended up there after the game so I wasn't properly hungry but the food was good. My wife, who always orders the wrong thing at every restaurant we go to got the shrimp poboy which was surprisingly really tasty. Red velvet Boston cream pie dessert sounds weird but damn good. 

Pizza luce - solid, solid pie. 

We also ate at buca di beppa which I didn't realize was a chain but apparently that's the original location. I wasn't hungry when we went there and they serve portions large enough to feed a small country. I thought it was fair but we probably ordered the wrong thing (manicotti) but the place is cool. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, CoTex said:

If you want a big badass Italian sammich, Cossettas in St P is the place.  Not the uppity restaurant on the roof but the first floor deli/grocery.

They have ridiculously good pasta salads and various Italian meat sauces packaged to go.  I can't go to St Paul without my wife emptying the bank account there.

They have ridiculously good pasta salads and various Italian meat sauces packaged to go.  I can't go to St Paul without my wife emptying the bank account there.

Cousin?

If my dad has any ample of free time when he’s in StP, he’ll always get a quart of sauce and a dozen meatballs or so to give to mine and my sisters family.

On 6/14/2022 at 2:16 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Minneapolis rehash:

First off, being from San Antonio, I find it completely hypocritical to call any other city's women fat, but good lord there are a lot of white women in Minneapolis who are built like Stonie Clark from the waist down. No wonder the big 10 keeps cranking out nfl olinemen.

Brit's was cool. To call what they have up there a rooftop bar is a disservice. I mean, it's like a football field up there. Watched some NBA finals on their big screen outside. Neat place. 

Murray's was really good. I didn't go for the monster steak because I'm pretty sure I would have killed myself trying to finish it. But the steak I had was fantastic. Note: there is decent amount of seating at the bar if you don't have a reservation. 

The bar next door to Murray's is fine too. Forget the name. I found a surprising lack of bars downtown open during the day but this one was. Enjoyed the team photo from the first twolves season. Scott Roth and Pooh Richardson for the win (but not many of them). 

The juicy Lucy at Matt's was good. Not life altering or anything, but a really good burger. That's a great dive btw. Love those types of joints. I'm pretty sure that's the first place I've ever eaten that didn't have ice. Much respect. 

I wasn't overly impressed with breakfast bar. The soul music cranked to 11 while nursing my (quite delicious) bloody mary and hangover didn't help. Decent biscuits and gravy. Grits were really runny. 

Target Field - I'm not much of a baseball fan but I do love going to MLB stadiums. Good time, good stadium. The Kent Hrbek statue threw me for a loop. I just picture aliens finding our uninhabited planet thousands of years from now trying to piece together our history stumbling across the Kent fucking buy me a vowel Hrbek statue. Did Kirby get a statue too? 

Smack Shack was good. We ended up there after the game so I wasn't properly hungry but the food was good. My wife, who always orders the wrong thing at every restaurant we go to got the shrimp poboy which was surprisingly really tasty. Red velvet Boston cream pie dessert sounds weird but damn good. 

Pizza luce - solid, solid pie. 

We also ate at buca di beppa which I didn't realize was a chain but apparently that's the original location. I wasn't hungry when we went there and they serve portions large enough to feed a small country. I thought it was fair but we probably ordered the wrong thing (manicotti) but the place is cool. 

I think I saw the Kirby statue.  No racist.

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I think I saw the Kirby statue.  No racist.

I saw the Kirby HR seat, but not the statue. Is the statue of him fondling a woman? Was it in the bathroom?

The 'Puckett homer' seat – the real one – unveiled at Target Field | Star  Tribune

One other thing... we hit up the MIA and it's a pretty cool museum. Lots of classics... Rembrandt, Picasso, Monet, etc. My favorite exhibit though was the preserved office of their former curator who boarded a train to NY and disappeared without a trace in the 1950's. They boarded over and sealed up his office, only to discover it decades later completely preserved and then they turned it into an exhibit. I thought... man that's really cool. Then I got home and googled the story only to find out that the dude showed back up in 2017. He'd been living in Minnesota the whole time as a landscaper. He just got on that train, said "fuck it, I ain't working for Maggie's Farm no more," and got a new life.

Crazy story:

https://new.artsmia.org/stories/lost-and-found-missing-mia-curator-mysteriously-re-emerges-to-praise-guillermo-del-toro-show

17 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I’ll be eating at Mara when there in late august and will def report back. 

I just learned of it this morning and came to post.  Gavin Kaysen is very good at what he does.  He's very active too.  There's a high likelyhood that you'll see him there working.

https://artfulliving.com/mara-restaurant-minneapolis-gavin-kaysen-interview/

On 6/14/2022 at 4:16 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

For high profile soccer games they put up a big screen and every sits on the lawn to watch.  It's a fun time.

Calendar — Brit's Pub & Eating Establishment

On 6/16/2022 at 9:20 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Italian meat sauce huh?  Wife likes it, huh?  Think I'll stick to the sammiches.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a great time in Minneapolis the past few days. The daughter and friend went with the friend's mom on Saturday so I was able to get some time to myself. Went to the Twins game against the White Sox. Finally broke my streak of having the home team lose every game I attend at a new ballpark. Twins won 6-3. Went over to Surly Brewing after that. Awesome set up. Since I had a little more time, I went over to Lake Monster Brewing and Blackstack Brewing. Both were interesting locations. There's a ton of breweries in that area. Tried to have Pizza Luce on Monday but they were closed for an employee picnic. Took the kid and her friend out to Valleyfair on Sunday. It was hot but they managed to go from open to close. The water park in the middle helped. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't really care about baseball, but it's been too long since I've gone to Target Field.  It's a beautiful park.

I really dug it. I love the switch to the tighter ballparks. It reminded me a bit of the new Braves Stadium. What a great setup on the edge of downtown. I love that you can take the metro there if you want. I actually got there late but they were retiring Jim Katt's number so the game didn't start until 2pm which worked out nicely. 

I echo what others have said upthread, Minnesota ladies are a little rough. 

Will be there this weekend for a guy's weekend with my son. Going to the 3M at least one day. Not sure what else we're doing but he has some things planned. One thing I know is a restaurant that specializes in old fashions. I'll report back. 

We have a guys trip planned up to MSP at the tail end of August.  Mainly going to play golf during the day and drink at night.  Just a Thursday & Friday night. Unfortunately the Twins aren't in town those nights.

It is looking like we will be staying at the Bloomington Hyatt Regency.  Any recs within an uber distance?  Also any golf suggestions on that side of town?

Got back this weekend from a trip to see my son, and we went to the pga tournament Saturday and Sunday. Ate at Chimborazo, and Ecuadorian place,  Friday evening. Highly recommend.  I've eaten a lot of South American food, and it's legit. Saturday we went to Matt's for the original Juicy Lucy and then ice cream at Sonny's. Both classic Minneapolis. Sunday after the golf we went to Oliver's near the course. Really good wygu burgers, and old fashions to drink, but nothing to go out of the way for. But if you're in the area, it's good. We got dessert a bit later that evening at Edward's Dessert Kitchen, which is a block from his apartment. If you're in downtown, stop in for dessert. 

12 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

This pleases me…but the online menu sucks. All it shows me it breakfast plates. I’m passing through Minneapolis this weekend and that looks promising..if the menu is anything I’m used to

I think you may have hit the link to the bakery in Dundas that bakes the buns for Scotty's.

https://www.scottyswholehogbbq.com/ <= whole hog trailer in Northfield.

Animales is very tasty but I don't like Bauhaus. Boomin BBQ isn't too far from me, I'll have to try that.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 8:45 AM, TexasHooch said:

For high profile soccer games they put up a big screen and every sits on the lawn to watch.  It's a fun time.

Calendar — Brit's Pub & Eating Establishment

Is this event sponsored by the Greater Minneapolis-St. Paul Chiropracters' Association?

On 7/26/2022 at 12:23 PM, baboso said:

Boomin BBQ is legit CenTex Q.

image.png.702af1c0119870ea732ca4cdd9ffd53e.png

My Dad is in town so we swung by to check it out.  Pictured is Beef Cheeks and an enormous Beef Rib. Not pictured are some really good Pork Ribs (about 2/3rds of a rack).

Phenomenal.  The location is whatever- picnic tables in a parking lot- and the price was very very high ($100 all in), but this was real Texas BBQ.  Heavy bark of salt and pepper, savory sauce on the side (and summarily ignored, but good when I dipped my bread in it). Oddly, they didn't have brisket ala cart, but I don't know if that's the norm.

They had a bunch of sandwiches and sides, but I'll save that for next time.

Now I don't know how much I'd recommend this place to anyone who has regular access to the heavyweights in TX, but this is every bit on par with those joints.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

Boomin BBQ is legit CenTex Q.

image.png.702af1c0119870ea732ca4cdd9ffd53e.png

My Dad is in town so we swung by to check it out.  Pictured is Beef Cheeks and an enormous Beef Rib. Not pictured are some really good Pork Ribs (about 2/3rds of a rack).

Phenomenal.  The location is whatever- picnic tables in a parking lot- and the price was very very high ($100 all in), but this was real Texas BBQ.  Heavy bark of salt and pepper, savory sauce on the side (and summarily ignored, but good when I dipped my bread in it). Oddly, they didn't have brisket ala cart, but I don't know if that's the norm.

They had a bunch of sandwiches and sides, but I'll save that for next time.

Now I don't know how much I'd recommend this place to anyone who has regular access to the heavyweights in TX, but this is every bit on par with those joints.

Next time you're down towards to Decorah, swing through the little town of Spring Grove.  There's a place called Fat Pat's that's run by a guy who worked and trained in Central Texas for a few years and he knows what he's doing.  Plus they have a brewery (I haven't tried it yet but heard good things) and Rockfilter Distillery which makes excellent bourbon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a good one night stay - stayed at the Four Seasons and it’s a beauty of a room. Nice view too  

B9-D92-C23-24-AF-47-D2-BDE2-076-D9-AB521

F8954-A74-E481-4967-BA85-AB9761-C8-E522.

Mara crushed it. Wife had the salted branzino (no pics of either) while I had the braided lamb shank and a fucking incredible gin drink made with currant and elderberry. 

46-BE1-D9-E-0-EFE-46-C6-87-D6-D9-CC4-A3-

521607-A2-40-D4-4369-B044-DED69-E55-D759

Had drinks before the Sox game (god we suck so bad) at Britt’s in the roof, great vibe. Love Summit beers. Saga is the shit. Target Field is a fine stadium, excellent venue  

6-BB8-F5-CC-C56-B-4601-90-FC-A3-A91-CD8-

We didn’t do much - walked across the stone bridge and back. City reminds me of Indianapolis with a few more blocks of buildings. Wish we had more time to explore. Next time.

• 5 months later...

Going to Minneapolis at beginning of April for the Twins home opening series against your 2022 World Champion Houston Astros.

My airbnb is pretty much in LF so I will be staying close to Target Field.

I have some of the breweries on my to go to list (Pyres, Surly, Dangerous Man) but if anyone has some other joints they recommend I will try to check them out. Brit's Pub seems to be a popular choice on here. I had a buddy who has been there mention CC Club and The Bulldog (? I think)

Personally I rather waste my money checking out drinking spots than restaurants so not really looking for any food recs.

Can't wait to watch baseball in the 40s!

The CC Club is great.  It's the Replacements old haunt.  Classic dive bar.  The Bulldog is kitty wampus from there.  Pretty cool place as well, but not as historic.

I've always liked drinking at the 1029 Bar in Nordeast.

It could actually be pretty nice in early April.  February was mild.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1