Minneapolis recs?

Zepol87

9 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

Depends a bit what you mean by High-end. All the best restaurants are pretty unassuming and casual. Many are also pretty moderately priced.  Manny's is great but it's a steakhouse. Murrays is good, but also a Steakhouse.  I enjoy both but I know when I visit a new city I want a meal I can't get everywhere else, even it is executed better.

You can't go wrong with Spoon and Stable but here are some you should look into- some have already been mentioned:

Meritage, The Lexington, Bachelor Farmer, Saint Dinette, Corner Table, Travail, Tilia, Ngon Bistro, Butcher and The Boar, and of course Bar La Grassa.  

Sounds a bit like Austin, so my comparisons would probably Uchi, Barley Swine, Emmer and Rye, etc.  We'll try to go to really high-end places if they are available (went to Alinea while in Chicago last summer), but I don't expect there to be any in Minneapolis.  Steak houses are out since we try to go to more unique places and I can easily get a great steak in Texas or really any major city.  

Minneapolis and Austin are very much alike in many ways, but you're right.  I think The sensibilities of chefs/restaurateurs are very similar between the two cities. For the most part it's young, classically trained chefs that don't give a shit about exclusivity, status, or Michelin stars.  They just want a little 5 to 20 table spot, whether it's in a warehouse district or the middle of a neighborhood, to cook the food they love to eat. They care most about the ingredients, customers, and staff (in that order).

There is definitely nothing approaching Alinea here (no one is trying and it wouldn't work anyway).  If you want a fancy, romantic establishment your best bet is the Lexington. 

Aside from that, there are a few trends that are hot right now here: fancy pizza, southern comfort, smoked meats (at 3x's the price of better food down south). That's fine for us locals but I can't recommend any of it to a traveler- well maybe some fried chicken and greens at Revival if you're here for a while. 

The true culinary identity around here is "farm to table" with ingredients that are locally sourced, and technique that is decidedly French (with a smidge of Vietnamese).  Expect small menus and small plates meant for sharing.

If I were pushed right now to recommend 3 "fine dining" dinners to an out-of-town friend, I think it would be Bar La Grassa, Spoon and Stable, and Travail Kitchen Amusements.  You can't go wrong with any of the other ones I listed though.

• 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:
On 4/30/2018 at 1:45 PM, Longhornfan1024 said:
Other than Spoon and Stable, what is the best high-end restaurant in the city?  We'll be there in June and we always like to hit up a few nicer restaurants when we are visiting a new city.  

Where did you go?

Restaurant Alma and Spoon and Stable.  Alma had really good drinks and food.  S&S had really good food, but the drinks were lacking.  The veal belly at S&S was legit and highly recommended.  We actually spent most of our time at Brit's pub to watch the World Cup.  

Last minute trip to Minneapolis for a soccer tournament in Blaine.

intercontinental hotel in downtown St. Paul and commute or nah?  It’s cheap on Priceline.

Where should I stay - definitely not stay?

anyone have any Schwanns cup tips?

that soccer complex is massive. Blaine is on the very north end of the cities so everything from dt Mpls/StP is a good 45 min to the fields. thats a big tournament so Im sure everything in the north metro is booked.  I pricelined a night at the intercontinental for my parents last year....they said it was really nice. 

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

St Paul to Blaine is a pretty good hike, especially during construction season. It's doable though, as long as you're only doing one round trip a day.

If the cities of Minneapolis, St. Paul, and Blaine were 3 points of a triangle, the middle would be right around the Roseville/Arden Hills/New Brighton area. There's nothing particularly notable about that area by itself, but provided you're reasonably close to 35W, it's about 25 minutes from anywhere you want to go (Except the airport).

The only area with a lot of hotels that I'd steer you clear from is Brooklyn Center.

If you're at all interested in curling, plan a happy hour or "learn to curl" session at sticks and stones in Blaine (four seasons curling club).

Thanks for the tips.

i wish we could have put together the curling.  That’s a rare experience for Texans.

Soccer tournaments are always such an asswhip.  3 nights at the staybridge suites eating rubber omelette for breakfast for $169 per night.

intercontinental is tempting af at $102 per night.  

Yeah, I say you just do it if the price is right (make sure you check into parking though, they probably charge extra and street parking is tricky around there). I've never been in that hotel, but it's in a great spot. walk to Lowertown, west 7th, the science museum, and more.

Last minute trip to Minneapolis for a soccer tournament in Blaine.
intercontinental hotel in downtown St. Paul and commute or nah?  It’s cheap on Priceline.
Where should I stay - definitely not stay?
anyone have any Schwanns cup tips?

You here for the Swans USA tournament? Hit me up if you have time for beer.

• 11 months later...

Headed to Minneapolis next month for an anniversary trip. Few days in the city, a few up north at Grand Marais doing outdoorsy shit.

In Minneapolis we already have reservations for
Spoon and Stable
Popol Vuh
Volestead’s Emporium - anyone ever been here? It’s an old fashioned speakeasy.

Hitting the Twins for sure.
Betty Danger’s Country Club.
Matt’s for a juicy Lucy.
Doing the Mill City Farmers Market and probably the museum.
Rooftop bar at Hewing Hotel.

Taking a day trip up to Duluth for a dinner on an old school train - something we did on our honeymoon too.

Any other major recs?

11 hours ago, BlueGreySky said:

Any other major recs?

Bar La Grassa. I've advocated it on the old site and this one. Not a new restaurant anymore I guess but still my favorite Italian restaurant in the country. My wife and I went back the 2nd time we went to MPLS with high expectations and were both concerned we'd built it up too much from our first trip. 2nd time was probably even better. 

Also enjoyed The Bachelor Farmer, Pizzeria Lola and Butcher and the Boar on our last trip. Butcher we ate outside after a Twins game (more casual/informal than the inside dining and good bourbon and beer selection). 

• 3 months later...

Bump!

What is the business climate like in Minnesota? Specifically Minneapolis and St Paul? I know healthcare is big and they have Target and BB HQ's, but everything I've heard from others it that it's a hot, growing business-centric marketplace but I'm not seeing what people are basing that upon? Headed up to the Great White North in November where I'm sure it will be 10 degrees, but not sure what to expect.

• 6 months later...

Hey surlyhorns.com Team,

First off, thank you for mentioning "Minneapolis–St. Paul International Airport Guide" on your website:

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/877-minneapolis-recs/

Anyway, I’m reaching out to you because we’ve recently updated our informational airport guide website. And we’re just wondering if it would be possible for you to include a link to our site as well, in case your readers want to know more about what we do and the newest information about guide to Minneapolis–St. Paul International Airport.

http://msp-airport.com/

SM

Media Relations Manager

• 2 years later...

bump.

heading to minneapolis first week of may for craft brewers conference. staying at embassy suites downtown. i’ve got all the breweries bookmarked, but would love some downtownish food recs since it’s been 2.5 years (precovid) since this thread was active.

also top current brewery choices from [mention=2568]TexasHooch[/mention] and [mention=1238]Al_4_ISU[/mention] if you’ve got time.

bummed the twins won’t be in town.

Glad to see this bumped. One of our sons just accepted a job there and will be living downtown. I was checking out food places and there are tons within a few blocks that look great. He's going to be just a few blocks from Target Field. We'll let him get settled, and check out some places, and then we'll go try some out. I'm already planning a trip in July for the 3M Open. 

That's a good time to come.  Bummer that the Twins won't be in town.

I'm really not aware of many new and trendy spots downtown, but some of the spots already listed in this thread are gone, so I'll restate my favorites.

Spoon and Stable- Get a reservation soon 

Bar La Grassa- I've never been disappointed

Butcher's Tale- Used to be Butcher and the Boar.  The place to go for a whiskey drink.

Union Hmong Kitchen- This one's pretty new and I haven't been yet, but it's a Beard nominee and where the hell else are you going to get Hmong food than the Twin Cities (huge community here)?

Key's Cafe- Hangover breakfast. 

Freehouse- It's more of a restaurant, but they brew their own beer and it's location is a perfect lunchtime jumping off point for a North Loop beer crawl.

Trivia Mafia- If you like trivia, this company operates hosts trivia at a bunch of different spots.  Their website will tell you what you need to know.

Breweries... Damn, there's so many.  First, read this to help develop a plan:   https://wanderlustinreallife.com/twin-cities-brewery-crawl/ 

My favorites (in no particular order) are Modest, Pryes, Duel Citizen, Fulton, Surly, Indeed, Barrel Theory, Tin Whiskers, Dangerous Man.  That's off the top of my head.  I'm sure I'm missing some. 

Oh, one more.  Though I don't go there often, you may really appreciate the concept behind The Lab https://thelabmn.com/

Edited by TexasHooch
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Since COVID I haven't spent as much time actually visiting those kind of places in the Twin Cities.  Mostly when I go up there, I'm at my brother's place spending time with my niece and nephew, or we're out biking or something.

I don't know dick for downtown Minneapolis food these days.

The one exception, and I assume this is already on your brewery list, is the Town Hall Brewing location just SW of the Vikings stadium, adjacent to the U of M law school.  They have great beer, really good bar food, and are definitely in the downtown sphere.  I'd also still highly recommend Matt's.  I've been to the 5-8 Club since I last posted in this thread, and Matt's is definitely the superior Lucy, IMO.

Don't remember if Blue Door Pub was mentioned in this thread previously or not, but I always liked their burgers, and they have locations close to downtown.  Ramen Kazama is a great little place my Japanese SIL took us to the last time we were up.  Just north of U of M about 5-6 blocks.

I still think the best breweries in Minneapolis/St Paul are Barrel Theory, Bauhaus, Fulton, and Fair State.  I think Indeed is a bit overrated, I've only had Modist once and it was very new at the time.  I hear a lot of good things.  I haven't been to either Utepils or Pryes' respective tap rooms, but I like their beer quite a bit.  Surly has jumped the shark, and I'd almost say don't bother.  Just don't care for their beer much these days.

Have fun.  Minneapolis/St Paul is a very cool town, but I can only take it in small doses these days.  Fuckin' hipsters everywhere.  No offense to Hooch.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 2

I still think the best breweries in Minneapolis/St Paul are Barrel Theory, Bauhaus, Fulton, and Fair State.  I think Indeed is a bit overrated, I've only had Modist once and it was very new at the time.  I hear a lot of good things.  I haven't been to either Utepils or Pryes' respective tap rooms, but I like their beer quite a bit.  Surly has jumped the shark, and I'd almost say don't bother.  Just don't care for their beer much these days.

Have fun.  Minneapolis/St Paul is a very cool town, but I can only take it in small doses these days.  Fuckin' hipsters everywhere.  No offense to Hooch.

Ha. No offense taken.  I'm neither a hipster nor a MSP/SP resident ( I'm in Arden Hills).  Bauhaus has a great outside area if the weather's nice, I'm just not into what they're best at. (Pilsners and Gose's).  Similar thing with Utepils.  Great tap room but German(ish) beers just aren't my preference.  As for Surly... I get it, but come on.  He has to go there. It's a cool spot, they usually have some rare and aged stuff, and -most importantly- it's fresh at the brewery.  The main reason I don't buy surly retail anymore is because the distributor sits on that shit for weeks before putting it in the trucks.

19 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

Ha. No offense taken.  I'm neither a hipster nor a MSP/SP resident ( I'm in Arden Hills).  Bauhaus has a great outside area if the weather's nice, I'm just not into what they're best at. (Pilsners and Gose's).  Similar thing with Utepils.  Great tap room but German(ish) beers just aren't my preference.  As for Surly... I get it, but come on.  He has to go there. It's a cool spot, they usually have some rare and aged stuff, and -most importantly- it's fresh at the brewery.  The main reason I don't buy surly retail anymore is because the distributor sits on that shit for weeks before putting it in the trucks.

I've soured on the massive tap room/beer hall sort of thing.  Toppling Goliath adopted a smaller version of the Surly model, and I go (at most) 2-3 times a year despite living 20 minutes away.  I'd much rather go to Pulpit Rock and have a conversation with the people behind the bar, the other patrons, brewers, etc.  That said, It is cool the first time for sure, and you're right, is totally a worthwhile stop for some visiting the Twin Cities area.

And I've definitely shifted towards Pilsners and Germanish beers recently.  Just last night I was drinking a TG/Untitled Art collab DIPA and the level of hops almost irritated the back of my throat.  I think I've developed a mild hop allergy, TBH.  A good hazy IPA is delicious, but I have to move on after 1 or 2 these days.  I think Barrel Theory makes the best version of those beers in the Twin Cities, so I left them on the list.

While it's not a Minneapolis/St Paul brewery, I would encourage @patrickdrinksbeer to grab plenty of various Schell's beers he might see on tap around town.  My favorite Minnesota brewery, and probably a Top 5 brewery for me, period.  They've dialed back some of their Iowa distro since COVID and it's a bummer.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

That's a good time to come.  Bummer that the Twins won't be in town.
I'm really not aware of many new and trendy spots downtown, but some of the spots already listed in this thread are gone, so I'll restate my favorites.
Spoon and Stable- Get a reservation soon 
Bar La Grassa- I've never been disappointed
Butcher's Tale- Used to be Butcher and the Boar.  The place to go for a whiskey drink.
Union Hmong Kitchen- This one's pretty new and I haven't been yet, but it's a Beard nominee and where the hell else are you going to get Hmong food than the Twin Cities (huge community here)?
Key's Cafe- Hangover breakfast. 
Freehouse- It's more of a restaurant, but they brew their own beer and it's location is a perfect lunchtime jumping off point for a North Loop beer crawl.
Trivia Mafia- If you like trivia, this company operates hosts trivia at a bunch of different spots.  Their website will tell you what you need to know.
Breweries... Damn, there's so many.  First, read this to help develop a plan:   https://wanderlustinreallife.com/twin-cities-brewery-crawl/ 
My favorites (in no particular order) are Modest, Pryes, Duel Citizen, Fulton, Surly, Indeed, Barrel Theory, Tin Whiskers, Dangerous Man.  That's off the top of my head.  I'm sure I'm missing some. 
Oh, one more.  Though I don't go there often, you may really appreciate the concept behind The Lab https://thelabmn.com/

Isn’t Tin Whiskers closed now or will be soon?

I do get the impression that COVID hit the businesses in the Twin Cities, really hard.  Harder than outlying parts of the state and harder than neighboring states.  No CR (I leaned more towards how Minnesota handled things than my home state did, FWIW), and I don't have stats to back that up, but I've heard of more places going under there than other areas I frequent.

It's also possible (probable?) that a lot of these places were just barely scraping by and COVID was an easy "out".

44 minutes ago, po elvis said:

I won’t even take a flight with a connection in Minneapolis is how much I don’t want to go to Minneapolis.

This post needs elaboration.

I enjoy hating on Minnesota, but it's more in the civic rivalry/good natured ribbing sort of way.  I actually like the place.

My gripe is that Minnesota is the only state that rivals Texas for how much it likes itself, and consequently can't wait to tell you how awful your state is.  Particularly if it's a state that borders Minnesota.  I like Texas in spite of this mildly annoying trait too.

18 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

That’s cause we’re surrounded by boring states, who in their right have better things going for them than Minnesota. But because you live in the home of Sioux City, you’ll always deserve the hate. The rest of Iowa is fine

Look, no one hates Sioux City more than the rest of Iowa. 

No one.

• Haha 1

bump.

heading to minneapolis first week of may for craft brewers conference. staying at embassy suites downtown. i’ve got all the breweries bookmarked, but would love some downtownish food recs since it’s been 2.5 years (precovid) since this thread was active.

also top current brewery choices from [mention=2568]TexasHooch[/mention] and [mention=1238]Al_4_ISU[/mention] if you’ve got time.

bummed the twins won’t be in town.

While I haven’t been to the brewery, I’ve had a few beers from Falling Knife and they have all been really good.
  • Like 1