Underrated or ignored albums you think are incredible

pepper brooks

Frank Black's Teenager Of The Year. Blares almost like a dare to Get Happy! right out of the gate with Whatever Happened To Pong? and Thalosocracy, smoothing out to chords Steely Dan haven't discovered, maaaaang..

First half of side 2 is lame but it ends as good as anything Davies did, and he was the master at ending pop albums.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, I Got Worms said:

Blind Melon's "Soup" is so good top to bottom, Mouthful of Cavities, 2x4, Galaxy, etc.  Think they got unfortunately pigeonholed by No Rain. I would argue that Shannon Hoon's death was comparable to Kurt Cobain's - in terms of what might have been.

“Galaxy” is a great fucking song. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Blind Melon's "Soup" is so good top to bottom, Mouthful of Cavities, 2x4, Galaxy, etc.  Think they got unfortunately pigeonholed by No Rain. I would argue that Shannon Hoon's death was comparable to Kurt Cobain's - in terms of what might have been.

Blind Melon is wildly underrated.

5 hours ago, I Got Worms said:

5 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

“Galaxy” is a great fucking song. 

*Galaxie

As a follow-up to an earlier post, I recently noticed this cool little Easter egg on Liz Phair’s Whip-Smart. The song “Jealousy” includes a brief sample of / homage to a classic track.  Forward to 3:33:

100 Internet Points to anyone who can identify the original source of that little outro riff.  

When the Levee Breaks by Led Zeppelin.  There's a cool story behind how that all came to pass.  Or so it was explained to me f'd up at SXSW about 5-8 years ago watching Liz Phair with Brett Hull /csb

16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

When the Levee Breaks by Led Zeppelin.  There's a cool story behind how that all came to pass.  Or so it was explained to me f'd up at SXSW about 5-8 years ago watching Liz Phair with Brett Hull /csb

That sounds like a legit CSB.  Care to share?  

And no matter how drunk you were, I bet Hull was drunker.

4 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

As a follow-up to an earlier post, I recently noticed this cool little Easter egg on Liz Phair’s Whip-Smart. The song “Jealousy” includes a brief sample of / homage to a classic track.  Forward to 3:33:

100 Internet Points to anyone who can identify the original source of that little outro riff.  

What kinda Ascended Level of Name That Tune are you playing here?

It's Zep, right? 

• 1 year later...
On 6/4/2019 at 4:50 AM, HenryJames said:

Too Bob Rock, imo.

On that note, Metallica's Load. They went some really cool places on this album and expanded themselves in ways... they seemed to retract afterwards, like this album was a bit too far out of their comfort zone.

And in particular, "Wasting My Hate" is the best Metallica song nobody ever talks about.

A lot of the songs stuck around past their welcome (it was the fashion of the day) ... but yeah, I lost interest in Metallica after they seemed to lose interest in the direction they'd gone here. (And the interminably half-assed covers on Garage inc...) Maybe they did something cool since then, but...

I've only looked at the first and last pages of this thread. I'm betting no one else posted this one in between. There aren't a lot of Spirit fans out there and that's a damn shame because they made some great music. This is one of my all time favorite albums. It's a psychedelic masterpiece that stands up to others like Sgt. Pepper's and Dark Side of the Moon. 

spirit_12f.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 7/22/2019 at 12:07 PM, d2o said:

Lupe Fiaso - Tetsuo and Youth

71TMqLz5axL._SY355_.jpg

and Drogas Waves

lupe%20fiasco_drogas%20wave.jpg

T&Y is an absolute masterpiece that can and has been debated like fine art for yrs.

I think it's a little messy to be considered a masterpiece. Lupe has always tried a little too hard in my book. 

But Mural and Prisoner 1 & 2 are awesome tracks. Even though I have no idea what the fuck he's talking about on Mural. I'm not sure Lupe knows what he's talking about. 

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I think it's a little messy to be considered a masterpiece. Lupe has always tried a little too hard in my book. 

But Mural and Prisoner 1 & 2 are awesome tracks. Even though I have no idea what the fuck he's talking about on Mural. I'm not sure Lupe knows what he's talking about. 

Mural is pretty much stream of consciousness.   An extremely glorified freestyle (the original meaning of the term not what it has evolved to mean).  A glimpse into his mind.  Much like how our thoughts can seem to ramble or jump from subject to subject quickly or even get way into minutiae the song does that as well.    Its one of my favorite songs.   The amount of references and double/triple entendres are just insane.    The genius breakdown is equally insane if you are into that sort of thing like I do. https://genius.com/4729523

I dont think he tries too hard at all.    His music is like art to me as many people will see different things in it.  Some people dont like to discuss music like that and there is nothing wrong with it.    I thoroughly enjoy breaking down what he is saying, who/what he is referring to and its ultimate meaning.   I firmly believe he knows what he is trying to say and rarely if ever has throwaway lines.   You dont put that kind of thought and detail into your rhymes to not know what you're trying to say.

T&Y has only one song that I skip, No Scratches.   I get the point of it.   I just dont really like the song.    Any and every other song on there is great.    Outside of the two you listed Deliver is my next favorite.   Chopper is f'in amazing too.   Then you have deep cuts like The Adoration of the Magii and Madonna (and Other Mothers in the Hood) 

Edited by d2o

12 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I've only looked at the first and last pages of this thread. I'm betting no one else posted this one in between. There aren't a lot of Spirit fans out there and that's a damn shame because they made some great music. This is one of my all time favorite albums. It's a psychedelic masterpiece that stands up to others like Sgt. Pepper's and Dark Side of the Moon. 

spirit_12f.jpg

CSB...  back after my freshman year at UT I came back home and spent most of the summer staying up all night listening to the radio (we lived about 5 miles outside of town, and honestly after being in Austin for a year I had no desire to go hang out with my bumfuck "friends" any more...).  One night I was listening to KPFT (Houston) and slapped a cassette into my boombox and hit record.  Got about 1 1/2 hours of the most szhicophrenic radio I'd ever heard.  Years later I converted it to digital and donated it to this site.  LINK

On the May 28, 1985 Part 2, about 5 minutes in, the DJ starts playing The Twelve Dreams... until an unfortunate skip in "Nature's Way" causes him to break in and shut the record down.  ...CSB

But I was always fascinated with those first few minutes, and now that you have revived my memory, I will seek this album out and give it a listen.  Pepper and Dark Side being in my top 10 of all time, I look forward to checking this out.  

On 4/23/2019 at 10:39 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

since he's posting in this thread, I don't have to pretend to be sly by saying I really liked When I Let Go by Mr. Wesley

I saw this resurrected thread at the top of the page, and I was looking to see if I'd already replied to it ("Final Cut" by Pink Floyd was going to be my reply).  Scrolling down the first page, and I saw your comment that I missed in real time.  Anyway, a belated thank you.  I appreciate it a lot.

15 hours ago, UTCzech III said:

CSB...  back after my freshman year at UT I came back home and spent most of the summer staying up all night listening to the radio (we lived about 5 miles outside of town, and honestly after being in Austin for a year I had no desire to go hang out with my bumfuck "friends" any more...).  One night I was listening to KPFT (Houston) and slapped a cassette into my boombox and hit record.  Got about 1 1/2 hours of the most szhicophrenic radio I'd ever heard.  Years later I converted it to digital and donated it to this site.  LINK

On the May 28, 1985 Part 2, about 5 minutes in, the DJ starts playing The Twelve Dreams... until an unfortunate skip in "Nature's Way" causes him to break in and shut the record down.  ...CSB

But I was always fascinated with those first few minutes, and now that you have revived my memory, I will seek this album out and give it a listen.  Pepper and Dark Side being in my top 10 of all time, I look forward to checking this out.  

That is a cool story. Nature's Way is a great song and the one I knew and liked the most, from hearing it on the radio in my youth, when I first heard 12 Dreams. 

I'm really tempted to write a long dissertation on the subject of Spirit but I'm going to try to restrain myself. It's a struggle. I've already typed and deleted a lot. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the album. I'm always trying to preach the gospel of Spirit. They're a great and tragic story in the annals of rock music. They were more popular with other musicians than they were with the general public. 

Must resist the urge to go on further. The last thing I'll add is that my best bootleg is of their performance at the 1969 Texas International Pop Festival. I often wonder if anyone on this board happened to be there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That is a cool story. Nature's Way is a great song and the one I knew and liked the most, from hearing it on the radio in my youth, when I first heard 12 Dreams. 

I'm really tempted to write a long dissertation on the subject of Spirit but I'm going to try to restrain myself. It's a struggle. I've already typed and deleted a lot. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the album. I'm always trying to preach the gospel of Spirit. They're a great and tragic story in the annals of rock music. They were more popular with other musicians than they were with the general public. 

Must resist the urge to go on further. The last thing I'll add is that my best bootleg is of their performance at the 1969 Texas International Pop Festival. I often wonder if anyone on this board happened to be there. 

I will, gonna order a vinyl copy off eBay and hear it as intended, will report back...

• Like 1

One of my favorite records is Thurston Moore's Psychic Hearts.  It's outstanding from start to finish.  IMO it would land in the top half of SY albums.  It was released in Spring of '95 and Sonic Youth released Washing Machine that Fall so I think a lot of focus went to WM (deservedly so).  Maybe not so much ignored but overshadowed by WM.  It was reissued in '06 and has subsequently gotten critical praise.  If you dig Sonic Youth you will love this album.

ThurstonMoore-PsychicHearts.jpg

I don’t know that you can call it ignored because it produced a mega hit (Santa Monica), but Everclear’s “Sparkle and Fade” is a post grunge 90’s Alt rock masterpiece.

I think people never take it seriously because they got so comically bad later in their career, but holy shit does that album smoke.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

On October 7, 2020 at 4:39 PM, tbone_ said:

c34581ee7ce0b3aab350db1fefe05628.jpg

That was the last Rush album I owned. My first concert was Rush on the Signals tour. I saw them again on the Power Windows tour but by then we had mostly parted ways. (I saw them again in around 2000-ish with my brother who has remained a huge fan all his life.) I used to love that album. It was the first of their albums I owned on cassette and I have a vivid memory of listening to it on my Walkman as I walked across campus on a cold, gray winter day. It seemed like the perfect soundtrack at the time. 

It's probably been more than 30 years since I last heard it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/27/2020 at 3:32 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Just wanted to check in with you on this one, I had listened to a crappy version on youtube a while back since it wasn't on Spotify.  Well now it is, so I gave it a nice loud listen this afternoon since the wife was out of the house. Yeah, that is a great album, I need to give it a good listen with headphones and a dark room so I can really concentrate on it, but I dig it, a lot.  I like the mood swings between quieter and more rocking songs, the brass I like a lot as well.  Love the guitars as well.  Don't know a lot about Spirit, so didn't know that Jay Ferguson was the lead singer (who I would discover in my teenage years with Thunder Island and Shakedown Cruise...).  This album actually reminded me a lot of Forever Changes by Love, musically anyway, they would make a good pair back to back.  Thanks for suggesting it.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2020 at 12:41 AM, Viper said:

I fuckin love this album. 

TWB-Album-Cover-FINAL-1024x1024.jpg

Thanks for turning me onto this. Just ordered it on vinyl.

My submission to the thread is Drugstore. A few songs got some airplay on the edge back in the day. The album is solid all the way through.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...

720642431122.jpg?v=2

I listened to this album this weekend. Hadn't heard it in well over 25 years, and it sounded every bit as good as I remembered.

Was never a huge Tesla fan, but this album has Beatles, CCR, and Rolling Stones covers and helped introduce me to 60's music when I was entering high school.

Edited by Bookman
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, locodos said:

Grunge and the NW scene had sucked all the air out of the room and this band just didn't get the attention it deserved.   Blues for the Red Sun is also great.

Listen to the whole thing or jump to 20:23 Space Cadet => Demon Cleaner

I never listened to Kyuss -- that's great.  I love the blues undertones.

rarely hear any mention of the beta band. they put out some great music that was a unique blend of psych-folk/trip hop. was fortunate enough to see them at la zona rosa before they broke up, this album still gets a lot of play: