Underrated or ignored albums you think are incredible

pepper brooks

rarely hear any mention of the beta band. they put out some great music that was a unique blend of psych-folk/trip hop. was fortunate enough to see them at la zona rosa before they broke up, this album still gets a lot of play:

I will now sell 5 copies of the 3 EPs by The Beta Band.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/6/2020 at 10:09 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

I don’t know that you can call it ignored because it produced a mega hit (Santa Monica), but Everclear’s “Sparkle and Fade” is a post grunge 90’s Alt rock masterpiece.

I think people never take it seriously because they got so comically bad later in their career, but holy shit does that album smoke.

I agree. Heartspark Dollarsign has a strong progressive social commentary on inter-racial relationships wrapped up in a kickass jam.

Albeit not on Sparkle and Fade, Father of Mine speaks to me as my dad was absent much of my childhood. It speaks to the pain and disillusionment of a boy whose dad discards their relationship.  Another powerful message delivered in a great song.

They’re coming to Plano in April, and I’ve got tix. F the haters.

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, GenXer said:

I agree. Heartspark Dollarsign has a strong progressive social commentary on inter-racial relationships wrapped up in a kickass jam.

Albeit not on Sparkle and Fade, Father of Mine speaks to me as my dad was absent much of my childhood. It speaks to the pain and disillusionment of a boy whose dad discards their relationship.  Another powerful message delivered in a great song.

They’re coming to Plano in April, and I’ve got tix. F the haters.

Heartspark Dollarsign should been a radio hit.

Elektra Made Me Blind, Heroin Girl, Strawberry, Pale Green Stars, and My Sexual Life are my favorites.

So Much for the Afterglow was a great follow up album.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I never understood the scorn for Everclear.  I really like a couple of their records, and I've seen them several times -- they always deliver.  Are they The Clash or Nirvana?  No.  They're still damn good and hooky.

With the exception of the occasional hooky song, they fell off pretty hard in the aughts

Edited by Al_4_ISU

16 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I never understood the scorn for Everclear.  I really like a couple of their records, and I've seen them several times -- they always deliver.  Are they The Clash or Nirvana?  No.  They're still damn good and hooky.

"Sparkle and Fade" and "So Much For The Afterglow" are both great records. I haven't really kept up with them since the late 90s, though. 

On 2/13/2023 at 11:00 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Is there scorn for Everclear? I did not know that. I saw them with Spacehog in like '95 or '96, good show.

10 minutes ago, G650 said:

Is there scorn for Everclear? I did not know that. I saw them with Spacehog in like '95 or '96, good show.

Yeah, I saw them get lumped in with bands like Matchbox 20 as the 00's picked up steam.

I think a lot of it had to do with the shitty albums that followed Afterglow.  They did fall off quite a bit.  Remember "Wonderful"?  It was dreck.

15 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

ACDC-LetThereBeRock.jpg

Def_Leppard_-_High_'n'_Dry.jpg

Both of these bands had a peculiar thing with a song and album title…..not sure this happens in the music industry very often

AC/DC released a live album in 1978 “If you want blood….”. The song of same name wasn’t released until the next album 1979 highway to hell

Def Leppard releases the studio album “On through the night” 1980….the song was released 1981 on High n Dry

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, rungeflash said:

Both of these bands had a peculiar thing with a song and album title…..not sure this happens in the music industry very often

AC/DC released a live album in 1978 “If you want blood….”. The song of same name wasn’t released until the next album 1979 highway to hell

Def Leppard releases the studio album “On through the night” 1980….the song was released 1981 on High n Dry

Hell that's better than the band name, song title, and album name are all the same...it would crack me up in the old MTV days when that would happen the bottom left of the screen would say:

Talk Talk

"Talk Talk"

Talk Talk 

Jabroni Records

I remember Iron Maiden and Big County did it too, probably some others

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Hell that's better than the band name, song title, and album name are all the same...it would crack me up in the old MTV days when that would happen the bottom left of the screen would say:

Talk Talk

"Talk Talk"

Talk Talk 

Jabroni Records

I remember Iron Maiden and Big County did it too, probably some others

Led Zeppelin.

I listened to this way to much back in the day... they're not all bangers, but oh man there are some pop culture packed in this bad boy

Beelzebubba.jpg

Keep your head and arms inside The Mixer at all times! 

If you haven't heard Stuart, do yourself a favor.  It could be Shaggy's theme song

Edited by locodos

55 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Country isn’t really known for albums the rock is but this album is fantastic and may be underrated.  

E8320E2E-3B32-4AF9-8DEA-BFC1A420F541.jpeg

Not sure how much this crew hung out with Waylon.

image.jpeg.3423226b8ed07d6b52d530c303582e8e.jpeg

I listened through some of the album after considering posting on here in fun and have been whistling various tunes over the past couple of days. They bring it like a…

👊

8B8C9B34-3C22-4579-868E-6F2A719EEE5B.jpeg.95d46ead2082a0795b37d82cdd436a0c.jpeg

Starting an album with the gritty…

”He had a stroke at the age of 24, it could have been a brilliant car.”

#Legendary

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Not sure how much this crew hung out with Waylon.

👊

8B8C9B34-3C22-4579-868E-6F2A719EEE5B.jpeg.95d46ead2082a0795b37d82cdd436a0c.jpeg

Starting an album with the gritty…

”He had a stroke at the age of 24, it could have been a brilliant car.”

#Legendary

Absofuckinglutely.  Best played at high volume in the car in which I'm a drunken passenger riding shotgun.

"She wears the clothes of an emperor.  But her paintings are a sham.  And they're going for a grand . . . ."

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

I could simply say, "Anything they released after 1992," because so many great albums came afterwards, but especially this one, which Neil Peart has called his favorite:

Counterparts is one of their best albums. Fantastic mix and production; the weakest song on it turned out to be amazing live.

Tweekend is a great album. Tom Morello plays guitar all through it if I remember correctly.

Never been a huge electronic fan but love Crystal Method their music always has a great groove, not just the stupid UNCE! UNCE! UNCE! UNCE! of most electronic.

About 16 years ago I trained for an ran a 1/2 marathon (no small feat for my fat ass). Great album for running. Heavy rotation on the iPod nano. Feels like I listened to front to back 1,000 times.

On 2/13/2023 at 10:46 PM, GenXer said:

Listening to my 90’s alternative playlist, and one of the songs on this album came on.

image.png.7da88255fa76cd59321ce180c008269f.png

Not sure it's underrated or ignored. It is fucking terrific though. Spin Magazine named it Album of the Year in 1991 -- the same year that Nevermind, Achtung Baby and Loveless were released.

8 hours ago, C-Man said:

Not sure it's underrated or ignored. It is fucking terrific though. Spin Magazine named it Album of the Year in 1991 -- the same year that Nevermind, Achtung Baby and Loveless were released.

I think it falls in the ignored territory by the masses; it certainly was not underrated by critics at the time.

At the time it was released in Nov ‘91, I only found it on 120 minutes on Mtv. Nevermind  and Ten dropped in Sept and Aug ‘91, respectively.

The Seattle scene consumed all the oxygen in the room when Nirvana and PJ crossed from alternative to mainstream. Teenage Fanclub never got out of the alternative umbrella.

On 2/13/2023 at 9:17 PM, Doc Daneeka said:

Hurricane — Take What You Want

Vocalist —  Kelly Hansen — is Foreigner’s current vocalist. 

Slave To The Thrill is a personal favorite of mine. 

And also Kelly’s Perfect World album. Damn good stuff from a great guy.