Underrated or ignored albums you think are incredible

pepper brooks

b43588eb837087e3ec23db6997b8646c.jpg
Can’t remember why I bought this when it was released. It seemed so intense it took numerous listens before it wormed its way into my brain.

“More recently, other musicians have written very favorably of the album; for instance, Lydia Lunch named it one of her 13 favorite albums in 2013.[16] A 2009 article in Magnet called the album a "lost classic", and said that on the album, "the Fibbers' warped alt-country twang haunted the City of Angels like ghosts of California country’s past, full of grinding violin and poisoned tales of junkies, madness and lost innocence."[17] Nels Cline, who joined the Geraldine Fibbers for the recording of their second album, Butch, called Lost "a stone classic" in an interview with the Vancouver Sun in 2014.[18] Also in 2014, Spin ranked the album as the 9th best album of 1995, and, like previous reviews of the album, compared its sound to that of X.[19] In 2017, Al Shipley described the album as a "country feedback masterpiece", adding that it was his "...favorite rock album of the 90's.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Somewhere_Between_the_Earth_and_My_Home

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

For others into heavier stuff…

075533424df77188af23ad75da559548.jpg

931ff884ae985a6e24cd770c628631c7.jpg

Roots usually gets all the praise, but I think Arise is under appreciated.

6172d6e79b0ecc51dea5a6c2ad9ca5a9.jpg

Roots is definitely their best imo. The first Soulfly album I think is even better.

Roots is definitely their best imo. The first Soulfly album I think is even better.

We have been seeing eye to eye on stuff lately (goddamn The Edge), but gonna have to disagree.

I think Roots and Chaos AD are neck and neck, but I think people go for roots because it’s a diverse album with tribal elements. I loved the first Soulfly album, but I think it has aged horribly. I still will listen to a few tracks because of nostalgia. It came out a few months before I left with my brothers to backpack Europe for a month and it got a ton of a play on the trip. I will say though, Ritual (2018) has some amazing songs that rival Sepultura.

5 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I loved the first Soulfly album, but I think it has aged horribly.

I gotta be honest, I haven't listened to it in a long time, so I may be off. But I really liked it when it came out.

• Like 1

b43588eb837087e3ec23db6997b8646c.jpg
Can’t remember why I bought this when it was released. It seemed so intense it took numerous listens before it wormed its way into my brain.

“More recently, other musicians have written very favorably of the album; for instance, Lydia Lunch named it one of her 13 favorite albums in 2013.[16] A 2009 article in Magnet called the album a "lost classic", and said that on the album, "the Fibbers' warped alt-country twang haunted the City of Angels like ghosts of California country’s past, full of grinding violin and poisoned tales of junkies, madness and lost innocence."[17] Nels Cline, who joined the Geraldine Fibbers for the recording of their second album, Butch, called Lost "a stone classic" in an interview with the Vancouver Sun in 2014.[18] Also in 2014, Spin ranked the album as the 9th best album of 1995, and, like previous reviews of the album, compared its sound to that of X.[19] In 2017, Al Shipley described the album as a "country feedback masterpiece", adding that it was his "...favorite rock album of the 90's.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Somewhere_Between_the_Earth_and_My_Home

Geraldine Fibbers-Dragon Lady

• 3 weeks later...

Kowloon Walled City is infamous among urban planning, architecture, and people who study poverty and human development. The city block on the edge of Hong Kong was immortalized in a coffee table book of photos of its inhabitants a long time ago. The aerial photos before it was demolished are frequently shared as examples of the most intense kind of urban vertical environment. It was even in a Van Damme movie from street level back in the day.

Kowloon Walled City is infamous among urban planning, architecture, and people who study poverty and human development. The city block on the edge of Hong Kong was immortalized in a coffee table book of photos of its inhabitants a long time ago. The aerial photos before it was demolished are frequently shared as examples of the most intense kind of urban vertical environment. It was even in a Van Damme movie from street level back in the day.

Indeed accurate. I do own City of Darkness (revisited) by Greg Girard. Since it’s the revisited pressing it mentions the band. Fascinating book and amazing photos.

83afefe62d72edff34eb6e7384743057.jpg
1a10baf7126df1167796e4d8f0ad0c0f.jpg

• 3 months later...

Just got a copy of East River Pipe’s Poor Fricky from a seller on discogs in japan.

ERP is a one man show. He records out of his brooklyn apartment, never plays live gigs, works at home depot, and records beautiful depressing songs.

image.thumb.jpeg.f1f52e87f7e3c81408d46fda93f90e0c.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

A little known band from Cleveland called Disengage put out a few releases starting in 1997.  I think their last album, Application for an Afterlife, was really great.  Then they disappeard.   Here two tracks I really dig.  I wish I knew the story behind the title of this first one as we are mostly Longhorns here...

• 5 weeks later...

So I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, I scrolled through a couple pages and this thread seemed the most appropriate is I think it's an underrated album, but I learned at least part of the answer to a question that has always bothered me. Urge Overkill's album Saturation (underrated as I say), has a stylized pictured of the Houston skyline on it. I could never figure out why a band famously from Chicago had a picture of Houston on the cover. Well, it turns out that it was a homage to a late 80's compilation of the most stereotypical 80s rock songs you could imagine call Rock City Nights.

I'm sure about three people actually care about this, but anyway I was happy to finally know. Plus probably some posters from Houston here who might get a kick out of it.

995062026c76c534.png

MS5qcGVn.jpeg