Your unpopular food opinions

Parliament

Guest Lobo

This is really the only thread on which I think I can vent about this:

In-laws (2 parents, 2 siblings) are in town recently.  They like pizza.  So I offer to get ABGB, Pinthouse, Via 313, etc.  Any number of outstanding pizza places the likes of which they have never seen.  Wife informs me they are very particular about their pizzas since the pizza place in their town is the one they visit most often and so they really are kinda "pizza snobs."  So I acquiesce.  I get a call later from them asking if I'd like to get in on their pizza order since I'll be home late.  To be easy, I just said "whatever you get, I'll take 2 slices"...thinking they selected one of the many great places within a few miles of our home.  I get home, thinking these pizza afficionados have something wonderful---maybe even from some place I've never even heard of in Austin.  I am greeted with, "Help yourself, there's Meat Lovers and Supreme!"  

There is no such thing as bad pizza.  But don't shut down somebody else's pizza suggestions when your idea of the great pizza debate of our time is Meat Lovers versus Supreme.  A dozen great pizza joints here in South Austin, but we gotta eat one step up from Red Barron?  

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

This is really the only thread on which I think I can vent about this:

In-laws (2 parents, 2 siblings) are in town recently.  They like pizza.  So I offer to get ABGB, Pinthouse, Via 313, etc.  Any number of outstanding pizza places the likes of which they have never seen.  Wife informs me they are very particular about their pizzas since the pizza place in their town is the one they visit most often and so they really are kinda "pizza snobs."  So I acquiesce.  I get a call later from them asking if I'd like to get in on their pizza order since I'll be home late.  To be easy, I just said "whatever you get, I'll take 2 slices"...thinking they selected one of the many great places within a few miles of our home.  I get home, thinking these pizza afficionados have something wonderful---maybe even from some place I've never even heard of in Austin.  I am greeted with, "Help yourself, there's Meat Lovers and Supreme!"  

There is no such thing as bad pizza.  But don't shut down somebody else's pizza suggestions when your idea of the great pizza debate of our time is Meat Lovers versus Supreme.  A dozen great pizza joints here in South Austin, but we gotta eat one step up from Red Barron?  

Not sure what your complaint is.  Meat lovers and supreme aren't pizza places.  They're pizza flavors.  And most pizza places offer their version of them.  Pinthouse's "supreme" is called "the works"...Via 313's "meat lovers" is called "the carnivore"...etc.  Are you bitching about where they ordered from?  Or are you bitching about the toppings they chose?

But yeah, it is a kick in the balls when out-of-towners can't appreciate your best good local food.  Happens to me probably more often than not.

I figured it was just because they're old and set in their ways (mostly happens with parents).  Took my in-laws to the best Italian restaurant in Dallas (hard reservation to get - had to book it months in advance) and they thought it was over-priced (even though I paid) and the portions were too small (kind of a small plate set up by design).  My parents are pretty much the same way whenever they visit.  It blows my mind what impresses them vs what they don't really care for.  It's kind of not even worth trying to treat any of them to anything special food-wise when they're here.

Although, friends do the same shit.  I've had friends come visit and I suggest great places to eat and they want to go to chains.  "We don't have a Maggiano's where we live so we like to eat at one whenever we can."  What the fuck?  You don't have a James Beard nominated chef where you live either you dumbass.

People do it on Surly all the time too.  They'll start a new thread asking for recs for whatever city and Surly unites and gives them all kinds of cool places to stay and eat and visit and then they report back and took none of our suggestions.  I've pretty much given up trying.

Anyway, back on topic but back to your original post...Via 313 is very meh.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Not sure what your complaint is.  Meat lovers and supreme aren't pizza places.  They're pizza flavors.  And most pizza places offer their version of them.  Pinthouse's "supreme" is called "the works"...Via 313's "meat lovers" is called "the carnivore"...etc.  Are you bitching about where they ordered from?  Or are you bitching about the toppings they chose?

But yeah, it is a kick in the balls when out-of-towners can't appreciate your best good local food.  Happens to me probably more often than not.

I figured it was just because they're old and set in their ways (mostly happens with parents).  Took my in-laws to the best Italian restaurant in Dallas (hard reservation to get - had to book it months in advance) and they thought it was over-priced (even though I paid) and the portions were too small (kind of a small plate set up by design).  My parents are pretty much the same way whenever they visit.  It blows my mind what impresses them vs what they don't really care for.  It's kind of not even worth trying to treat any of them to anything special food-wise when they're here.

Although, friends do the same shit.  I've had friends come visit and I suggest great places to eat and they want to go to chains.  "We don't have a Maggiano's where we live so we like to eat at one whenever we can."  What the fuck?  You don't have a James Beard nominated chef where you live either you dumbass.

People do it on Surly all the time too.  They'll start a new thread asking for recs for whatever city and Surly unites and gives them all kinds of cool places to stay and eat and visit and then they report back and took none of our suggestions.  I've pretty much given up trying.

Anyway, back on topic but back to your original post...Via 313 is very meh.

Nicely done.  Very reasonable and insightful comments, right up to the unpopular take on the city's second-best pizza. ;)

Eating at a chain when you travel should only be reserved for really good hyper-regional chains, like Whataburger.

Or if you're on a road trip and you roll into butt fuck nowhere at 10PM off the interstate, hungry as hell, and Applebee's is the only place open that will serve food and booze.

3 minutes ago, threesheets said:

My kids would be pissed if I took them to a chain while we were on a trip. But they're 12 and 8.

This.  Eating at odd/local places is part of the deal and they look forward to it....although....last summer, we were in Paris, and the boy was in the middle of a growth spurt.  So, in one day -- and I'm confident he did this just to annoy me -- he made us stop at three different McDonalds in goddamned Paris so he could get a Filet o Fish as a snack.  Three times.  He ate them all.  In fairness to him, he DID eat all of the other meals that day in actual French restaurants, these were just snacks.  But he got a shitload of "really?  We're in fucking Paris?  And you want McDonald's?" from the family.  I think he enjoyed fucking with us.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So, in one day -- and I'm confident he did this just to annoy me -- he made us stop at three different McDonalds in goddamned Paris so he could get a Filet o Fish as a snack.

It’ll be a cold day in hell when my kid “makes” me do anything.  Let alone stop at McDonalds.  Let alone in Paris.  Let alone 3 times.  Jesus, man...get some fucking scene control.

• Like 5

It’ll be a cold day in hell when my kid “makes” me do anything.  Let alone stop at McDonalds.  Let alone in Paris.  Let alone 3 times.  Jesus, man...get some fucking scene control.

Exactly. The insane don't run the asylum.

Guest Lobo

You go through all the trouble of taking a children hundreds of miles across the country traversing weather topography expenses etc.     are you drive them with great purpose and fervor towards a particular city or landmark or national Park or even historical monument like the worlds largest ball of twine      But then you fucking give him a McDonald’s ?    Makes zero fucking sense 

56 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I remember when I was a kid, my folks took us on a road trip to the grand canyon with my mom's brother's family (who had a fat fuck son that was my age at the time). 

This was before the time of cell phones, so when you saw the other vehicle exiting the highway, you did too.

Well, after being on the road for at least 600 miles, and having us get off every 100 miles or so to stop at McDonald's because it was all my uncle's kids ate, sure enough there's a McDonald's in the distance and my uncle's blinker turns on just ahead of us. 

Next words I hear from my dad as my uncle's truck is exiting the highway just ahead of us is "Fuck that fat motherfucker!" and he keeps driving until our destination leaving my uncle's vehicle on the frontage road in the rearview. 

Edited by TXs
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Do you have kids?

I don't think Brisket meant that literally by the way. 

Taco Bell is one of those things where you can recognize it for what it is, and isn't.  It is not quality of food any kind.  It does, however, taste fine, especially when you're drunk or stoned.  And it's very cheap.

The downside is (at least I do) that you tend to feel like complete death within an hour of ingesting it, and it's probably pretty much poison.

Reading this whole thread in one sitting is an eye-opener. There's just so much to unpack.

The only time I don't like avocado is when one of my wife's yankee friends makes her "prize winning" bleu cheese guacamole. What's the fucking prize, the Barf Cup?

Crawfish is uber-popular with aggy. That should tell you all you need to know about how vile and worthless it is.

Pizza is good, period, unless some dumbass puts pineapple on it.

Maple syrup on sausage with a lot of onion, garlic, and serrano schmaltz is one of life's great joys.

Vinegar can ruin practically anything. Give me plain peppers over pickled every time.

Anything a bear would eat is okay by me. Salmon, berries, honey, I'm good.

The best ice cream is made with goat's milk.

For that matter, I'll take cabrito over pork ribs without even blinking.

Not only is mayo on fries disgusting, but fries shouldn't actually have any condiments at all, just salt and pepper.

And the sun got a little dimmer the day BBQ Fritos went away.

12 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Meh sometimes I like to stop into one in a foreign country once per trip to try something international that you can't get at the U.S. McDonald's.  Kinda cool to see fast food in other countries.  But it's a snack, not like "oh man, its dinner, I better eat this McDonalds right now."  

25 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Meh sometimes I like to stop into one in a foreign country once per trip to try something international that you can't get at the U.S. McDonald's.  Kinda cool to see fast food in other countries.  But it's a snack, not like "oh man, its dinner, I better eat this McDonalds right now."  

And that's where we were, the 14 yr old didn't "make" me do anything.  It was much closer to "hey, we're walking by a McDonalds [it's amazing how many there actually are in Paris], I need a snack."  This was at a stage where he was eating 6-7 "meals" a day.  In Berlin, he grabbed a wurst from a street vendor every time we saw one.  In Austria, he grabbed snacks from bakeries.  Mostly, we just shoved 8,000+ calories a day in him.  And yeah....he DID enjoy getting a rise out of me by asking for McDonald's.  In Paris.  It was kinda the whole gag.

Edited by Brisketexan

40 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Did that in Australia many moons ago

"Bula" burger @ McDonalds.  Slice of beet and a fried egg.  F-ing delicious for a hungover, poor college kid.  

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  Eating at odd/local places is part of the deal and they look forward to it....although....last summer, we were in Paris, and the boy was in the middle of a growth spurt.  So, in one day -- and I'm confident he did this just to annoy me -- he made us stop at three different McDonalds in goddamned Paris so he could get a Filet o Fish as a snack.  Three times.  He ate them all.  In fairness to him, he DID eat all of the other meals that day in actual French restaurants, these were just snacks.  But he got a shitload of "really?  We're in fucking Paris?  And you want McDonald's?" from the family.  I think he enjoyed fucking with us.

but at least you took the opportunity to get 3 beers, right?

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:57 AM, Ollie Slatt said:

After reading the most overrated restaurants in Austin thread, I realized some of my food opinions may be unpopular.  Here goes: 

- breakfast tacos are better with a strip of bacon (not pieces) and should have re-fried beans

- The influx of "Californians" to Austin is making the food better -- not worse

- y mas is the most overrated restaurant in Austin (at least by Surly) 

• Image result for gif the californians snl

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

And that's where we were, the 14 yr old didn't "make" me do anything.  It was much closer to "hey, we're walking by a McDonalds [it's amazing how many there actually are in Paris], I need a snack."  This was at a stage where he was eating 6-7 "meals" a day.  In Berlin, he grabbed a wurst from a street vendor every time we saw one.  In Austria, he grabbed snacks from bakeries.  Mostly, we just shoved 8,000+ calories a day in him.  And yeah....he DID enjoy getting a rise out of me by asking for McDonald's.  In Paris.  It was kinda the whole gag.

We didn't stop but it seemed like the ones in Mexico City were all just selling vanilla cones for a nickel. I didn't see anyone with actual food from there any time that we walked past.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

The parenting failure isn’t that Lil’ Brisket wanted to go to McD’s in Paris, it’s that he ordered the Filet O Fish. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

We didn't stop but it seemed like the ones in Mexico City were all just selling vanilla cones for a nickel. I didn't see anyone with actual food from there any time that we walked past.

CDMX had a lot of McCafe Postres that just sell the ice cream and treats under the McDonald's brand. 

Image result for mexico city mcdonalds postres

• Like 1

I hate IPA's and most microbrews.  Give me a banquet, high life, or bud heavy any day over that garbage.  I also think Rolling Rock is a damn tasty beer at a great price point.

I will drink the shit out of several $10 bottles of red blends.  Best bang for buck.

Napa valley wines are overrated.  Santa Ynez blows it away.

I like kidney beans in my chili.

Cucumbers should be in-invented

Certain bbq sauces are damn good on brisket -- Pinkerton's and Luling

I don't give a fuck how you cook your steak or what sauce you put on it.  I ain't eating it, so if you want to Donald Trump burn your good cut of meat, that's your business.   I am a medium rare no sauce man, but your choices don't affect me.

I like the In and Out burgers better than Whataburger (slightly).  WB has better fries though.