Your unpopular food opinions

Parliament

On 4/30/2020 at 12:47 PM, Iconoclast Texan said:

I like cauliflower crust pizza.

Nothing wrong with that.  We all have to watch our figures since it costs hard earned money getting our jerseys let out.

Edited by Tom
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

Croutons are fucking annoying 

1 -- Caesar salad says you're fucking WRONG.

2 -- my first real job was waiting tables at Red Lobster in SW Houston in the late 80s.  Asian family (wasn't sure of the specifics at the time, I was a kid) was seated, and asked me to bring something for their young child -- a bowl of "croons."  "Excuse me, what's that?"  "Croons.....CROONS."  I just stood there, completely flummoxed.  Finally, they got frustrated enough to hold their fingers apart a little showing the size and said "you know, little crunchy bread on salads."  OH.  "You mean croutons?"  "Yes, croons."

I brought them the bowl of croons.  Can't remember how they tipped me.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

1 -- Caesar salad says you're fucking WRONG.

2 -- my first real job was waiting tables at Red Lobster in SW Houston in the late 80s.  Asian family (wasn't sure of the specifics at the time, I was a kid) was seated, and asked me to bring something for their young child -- a bowl of "croons."  "Excuse me, what's that?"  "Croons.....CROONS."  I just stood there, completely flummoxed.  Finally, they got frustrated enough to hold their fingers apart a little showing the size and said "you know, little crunchy bread on salads."  OH.  "You mean croutons?"  "Yes, croons."

I brought them the bowl of croons.  Can't remember how they tipped me.

So they were actually asking for cloons"?

Edited by Deej
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I agree it's annoying to eat them because when you try to stab them, they just break apart. But it's worth it because they are tasty.

its nice when the caesar dressing kind of soaks into and softens the outer layer of the croon but the inside remains dry and crunchy.  welcome to flavor country.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Had a Caesar with too many croutons today which sparked said unpopular opinion. Gtfo my salad

I'm with you on this. Local pizza place puts way too many croons on their salads, we always joke "who ordered the croon salad??"

11 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I agree it's annoying to eat them because when you try to stab them, they just break apart. But it's worth it because they are tasty.

Unless they are the jalapeno polenta croutons that Stephen Pyles makes:

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Deej said:

An overpriced ceasar salad.

Sure looks like it.

I will say that a real-deal tableside caesar, with the dressing made with the raw egg, anchovies, and everything, is a thing of beauty.  That pic....the croutons sound good, but WTF?

• Like 1

I worked as a line cook in high school.  The restaurant made its own croutons.  When we dropped a piece of bread on the line, the piece went into a bucket.  After becoming suitably stale, it was used by the day prep folks to make croutons.  I tend to avoid restaurant-made croutons.  

On 5/9/2020 at 11:05 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

I don’t want to get flamed in the Texas BBQ thread. Rudy’s moist brisket is pretty good. I love their smoked prime rib. Pretty solid baby back ribs as well. 

I think something along this line was posted on the Shag, but TX is lucky to be able to rip on Rudy's. It's better BBQ than 98% of the BBQ in the US. There's a location in Phoenix, and I gladly eat there whenever convenient.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam Lin said:

I think something along this line was posted on the Shag, but TX is lucky to be able to rip on Rudy's. It's better BBQ than 98% of the BBQ in the US. There's a location in Phoenix, and I gladly eat there whenever convenient.

Yes, I'd gladly take a Rudy's here.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, WBT said:

What the actual fuck?  Have you ever had a homegrown one?  I will agree that most grocery store tomatoes are tasteless, watery monstrosities.

Yep. It's a texture thing. They're gross. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, threesheets said:

I don't know how unpopular this take is, but I don't care for beef that's aged to the point that it actually tastes like death, and I'm pretty  adventurous.  

Doesn't ALL beef taste like death?  How else are you eating it?  Same with poultry, fish, etc...

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Doesn't ALL beef taste like death?  How else are you eating it?  Same with poultry, fish, etc...

I like to take a big bite out of a fully alive, breathing cow.  That way it tastes like LIFE.

Life, that I am ending.

The only time raw tomatoes are any good at all is if they're straight out of the garden, and one of the smaller, fancy heirloom kinds.  And they need plenty of salt and or herbs.

The raw tomato chunks that come on sandwiches are fucking disgusting.

• Like 1

I love a good sliced up beefsteak tomato with steak, pops used to eat tomatoes just like an apple, take a bite and add a bit of salt to it.   I'll have a tomato with a burger but take it off and eat it alone, yet at home I eat it on the burger, no idea why I do it that way.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

Big difference between eating something that is dead but kept fresh (or frozen) vs something that's been given time to literally decay to intensify the flavor.

Edited by threesheets

25 minutes ago, threesheets said:

Yeah I feel like folks that don't like raw ones have never had a quality tomato with sea salt and cracked pepper on it.

I've had them. Mom grew beautiful tomatoes in her garden during my childhood. I just don't like raw tomatoes. I can handle them in paper thin slices on something, but the texture just sits wrong with me. 

On 5/28/2020 at 5:23 PM, ss13 said:

Is Taco Casa accepted by the Shag/Surl mafia? Had a super burrito with their green salsa earlier, it was pretty goddamn good. 

I like taco casa. Basically what Taco Bell used to be in the 80s/90s before they started going crazy with the menu choices. I would say they have the best crunchy taco* of all the fast food joints.

*JitB tacos are their own category of taco. 

• Like 4

I love a good sliced up beefsteak tomato with steak, pops used to eat tomatoes just like an apple, take a bite and add a bit of salt to it.   I'll have a tomato with a burger but take it off and eat it alone, yet at home I eat it on the burger, no idea why I do it that way.  

Tomato with steak?