Wine

Hollywood

3 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

What you saw a lot this last year in the wine business was that due to COVID putting a severe strain on the restaurant industry, a lot of those wineries that focused most or all of their efforts in the restaurant sector all of a sudden had a large supply of wine with no place for it to go.  There are many wines that wineries would historically say were "restaurant only" and even then, only the top restaurants.  So then a lot of of these wines were all of a sudden being offered to key retailers so that wineries could move through inventory knowing that the next vintage would be released soon.   Wineries were making pitches to Costco that would never allow Costco to sniff their inventory before.  Wine clubs became another great avenue to move inventory, and that usually comes with a more aggressive cost.  Not exactly sure if that is the case with Emmolo Merlot, but $30 seems pretty aggressive from a small family wine shop.  

On another note: 

I have a friend who frequents Underground Cellar. I am not sure how it all works but my understanding is there are lots you can blindly buy and every once in a while the slip in a rare bottle.  They fucking shipped him a bottle of DRC Richebourg 2016.   Kermit Lynch has it listed for $2400.  He doesn't even know where to start as far as trying to sell it.  

If the DRC is the real thing, I'd be interested in buying it if he's trying to sell it.

If the DRC is the real thing, I'd be interested in buying it if he's trying to sell it.

042bb75a0d0fc5adb5e4181fa429d57c.jpeg
5b46982001562135969636cd5b48eab4.jpeg

Here are the pictures he sent me when he received the bottle.

Obviously you would have to find someone to authenticate it.

If you want to PM me an offer, I would be happy to send it over to him. The bottle is in San Antonio.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

I’ve had the LLC a few times and it really underperformed so curious about your thoughts.  Also had the GPL and a few of the Poyferre’s, and they were absolutely singing.

All 4 bottles were excellent and the LLC was the favorite of our group.  I’ve also had the LLC several times and to me it’s been consistently very, very good, even when next to some of the 82 first growths. 

3 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

The Nyetimber isn’t bad. I drink a bit of it in London as it is always reasonably priced for a sparkler. 

it’s not Krug or Cristal but it can do the trick.

I like Nyetimber.  Actually, I am a fan of a couple of the English sparklings, Nyetimber and Hattingly Valley (sp).  

@b_p, can I be your friend?  That looks outstanding.

On 8/12/2021 at 2:32 AM, VABuckeye said:

How was the Sassicaia?

It was fantastic, in its prime, but also has enough in the tank to drink well for the next 20-30 years.  We tasted all of them blind and it tied for 3rd in our group, with the Ducru and Penfolds ahead. That’s a tough lineup, though, and the third place finisher is still a damn good bottle.

• Hook 'Em 1

Late last year we moved to the Portland, OR area (Vancouver, WA) and looking to try some local wine from WA or OR. Any recs for wine that we should try or wineries to visit?

We’re huge fans of reds (more on the dry side). In fact, we have some 2005 Rauzan-Segla that we’re looking to try soon and will post the pics when we do. 

Late last year we moved to the Portland, OR area (Vancouver, WA) and looking to try some local wine from WA or OR. Any recs for wine that we should try or wineries to visit?
We’re huge fans of reds (more on the dry side). In fact, we have some 2005 Rauzan-Segla that we’re looking to try soon and will post the pics when we do. 

Willamette Valley has tons of wonderful wineries. Mostly Pinot noir and white varietals but many also source grapes from eastern WA (cabs etc).

I really like Stoller Family Estate but you could spend weeks in the area exploring.

For more robust wines you have the entire Columbia River Valley and other WA wines.

My favorites of the bigger WA wines are Quilceda Creek and Betz.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I cannot buy anymore wine at the moment.  Missed a great sale from Astor yesterday on Southern Italy.  They have a Loire Valley sale today.  I am currently sitting on 250+ bottles.  Sigh.

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

Rookie numbers.  🙂

I kid.  I'm about the same right now.  A trip to Italy or France would up that by about a dozen cases.

24 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I don’t have anymore space to put it.  

I'm on the back side of the wine purchasing curve.  At one point I had around 3K bottles.  I have been working through what I have in storage the last couple of years.  These days I'm only buying summer rose's for the back porch, some cheap weeknight wines for SWMBO to open with her girlfriends for happy hour (when I'm too lazy to go to my offsite storage to reload for the house), and wines from a handful of makers that I still buy from mailing list (Rochioli, Rhys, e.g.)  But even those I'm only buying a few here or there on release.

The nice thing about picking up the wines from storage is like it's Christmas.  There are so many wines I've forgotten I bought that when I go through to grab stuff to take home I'm like, "cool, look at this."

• Hook 'Em 2

Just finished a trip to Croatia and found some really good wines that are great values. Unfortunately they’re almost impossible to find unless you’re there. If you’ve never heard of BIBICh, it’s worth learning about. 

E640B4B6-B77E-4620-9FF6-58ABDD0C4774.jpeg

D2B6B39E-63AD-4837-B1FF-AAA01D8628A1.jpeg

7D10178B-E116-4032-9DFE-4A7A464211E3.jpeg

0D4A390B-4ADD-4FA6-AF51-CA4750A0EBA1.jpeg

151B8302-2547-4F5B-A39D-B6846D09AD37.jpeg

DDB6CC25-9720-4896-9C34-0F5D8F166042.jpeg

7D0FA276-9FD6-41C4-A00F-7A88182B9DD2.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone know anything about this cab? A law partner just gave it to me after I helped her out with a personal matter free of charge. I don’t really drink California cabs anymore, but she generally has very good (and expensive) tastes in wine.
95BF1EF0-BF4B-4A72-996C-E03FFC119B3F.thumb.jpeg.367a71e91227b2b4bfd67e08912ff6cf.jpeg
Never tried but just about everything from Howell mountain is outstanding.

Anyone know anything about this cab? A law partner just gave it to me after I helped her out with a personal matter free of charge. I don’t really drink California cabs anymore, but she generally has very good (and expensive) tastes in wine.
95BF1EF0-BF4B-4A72-996C-E03FFC119B3F.thumb.jpeg.367a71e91227b2b4bfd67e08912ff6cf.jpeg

Very expensive self-styled cult wine from Jayson Woodbridge. When it first came out there were mixed reviews within the online wine community, but I think it is generally considered to be a fine wine.

I never had it but suspect it is very nice.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

Very expensive self-styled cult wine from Jayson Woodbridge. When it first came out there were mixed reviews within the online wine community, but I think it is generally considered to be a fine wine.

I never had it but suspect it is very nice.

Yeah, I read some mixed reviews on some of the wine sites, mostly along the lines of, "this is a good wine, but I wouldn't pay $500 for it."  I've seen it listed in the $400-$600 range.  Very generous gift from my partner for a couple hours of my time, but I've never shelled out close to that for a bottle of wine.

Edited by South Austin

9 hours ago, South Austin said:

Yeah, I read some mixed reviews on some of the wine sites, mostly along the lines of, "this is a good wine, but I wouldn't pay $500 for it."  I've seen it listed in the $400-$600 range.  Very generous gift from my partner for a couple hours of my time, but I've never shelled out close to that for a bottle of wine.

I've had it and I agree with the assessment.  It's good, but very much overpriced.  With that said, that's a damn fine gift.

On 9/21/2021 at 11:40 AM, South Austin said:

95BF1EF0-BF4B-4A72-996C-E03FFC119B3F.jpeg

it is probably my favorite expensive California Cult wine.  It is exceptional every vintage and does not require 20 years of age to drink great which is kind of their target.  they wanted to make a cult cab you could "drink now".  Of course, they age well too, but generally there is not need.  I had a 2016 recently that tasted like it had 15 years of age.  it is simply exceptional juice.  Wish it wasn't so damn expensive.  

Edited by pepper brooks
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Been in Italy the last 2 weeks and have loved all the Italian wines. Spent time in 3 distinct regions, and always ordered local ones. Haven't had a bad one yet, even when we've just ordered the house wine. One last dinner tonight, and head home tomorrow.

Go to the local Conad, check out the wine selection and then cry at the prices.

1 minute ago, Mo Horn said:

I know what I've been paying for it here, and know what I'm facing when I get back. 

Its even more painful at lesser known but equally great wineries... when I say lesser known, I mean the ones that don't attract tour buses.  So much incredible wine, as you've seen, at great prices.

We spent 8 nights in Greece in July... wine was always cheap and always good, especially when we opted for half a liter at 6-7 Euros.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Its even more painful at lesser known but equally great wineries... when I say lesser known, I mean the ones that don't attract tour buses.  So much incredible wine, as you've seen, at great prices.

We spent 8 nights in Greece in July... wine was always cheap and always good, especially when we opted for half a liter at 6-7 Euros.

The only tour we booked was a wine and olive oil tour in Tuscany. We visited a small family owned winery. I had several bottles shipped home. We'll save them for special occasions. 

8 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I know what I've been paying for it here, and know what I'm facing when I get back. 

Barolo was the hardest for me.  We spent three days in the town of Barolo in 2014.  It wasn't exactly cheap in that region, but even with the euro conversion it was much cheaper than here in the States, and each night at dinner there were several bottles on the menu that were excellent and didn't feel like a huge splurge.  I was spoiled.