Wine

Hollywood

14 minutes ago, HouTex said:

I like Gigondas.  Get a St. Cosme.   Most CDPs are better but if she wants a Gigondas then get one.  

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/de+st+cosme+hominis+fides+gigonda+rhone+france/2007/usa-fl-y 

I like my Rhone wines with more of a blend of Mourverde and Syrah.  

Edited by Litig8r

From Wine Enthusiast: 

The Best Wine Shops in Texas

Lolo Wine

Austin, TX

Interior of Lolo Wine Shop IMAGE COURTESY OF LOLO WINE SHOP

“Lolo Wine is easily my favorite wine shop in East Austin,” says Will Ryan, a beverage professional. “It’s a shop and wine bar focusing on mostly natural wines. They hold events and bring in local DJs and musicians to play. The location is killer too, right next to a bunch of food trucks and great dives.”

Marfa Wine Co.

Marfa, TX

“[It’s] a tiny little wine shop filled with a great selection of natural, minimal intervention wines” says Briana Volk, owner of The Portland Hunt and Alpine Club. “You can buy bottles to go or hang on their patio and enjoy them as well.”

Sunrise Mini-Mart

Austin, TX

“I really love the fact that one of the best wine shops in Austin is in a random corner store north of the city simply because one person took it upon himself to make it happen,” says Gabriela Acero, owner of Wolfpeach. “It’s absolutely incredible. No fear, no concern about the ‘market’ or the “demographics” not aligning with natural wine or wild beers. It’s a powerful reminder of the simple humanity of beverage, and that anyone, anyplace can attain the knowledge to curate an incredible program. And furthermore, that anyone anywhere deserves to have access to these beautiful beverages.”

Gaja was just ok, Poyferre wasn’t good (it wasn’t corked, but it was cloudy and just didn’t sing like it should), Lynch Bages was the star of the show with Ducru right behind. 
The SQN wines were fantastic, and the 2012 Rhône-style white side-by-side was great as well. I love Schrader wines and the 2013 CCS is pretty close to perfect. 

2 hours ago, Tonesky said:

Nice glass selection.  Our flutes have been gathering dust for about 15 years....

Can’t go wrong with Reidel Sommeliers, though I think they’ve been discontinued for some reason. They’re really hard to find now. 

3 hours ago, Tonesky said:

Nice glass selection.  Our flutes have been gathering dust for about 15 years....

1 hour ago, b_p said:

Can’t go wrong with Reidel Sommeliers, though I think they’ve been discontinued for some reason. They’re really hard to find now. 

I attended a mind blowing Reidel glass tasting/seminar some years ago.  Max Reidel told me in a side conversation that he drinks champagne from varietal glasses rather than flutes. I gave it a try and I’ve never looked back. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 9/2/2022 at 9:48 AM, Mac8111 said:

From Wine Enthusiast: 

The Best Wine Shops in Texas

Lolo Wine

Austin, TX

Interior of Lolo Wine Shop IMAGE COURTESY OF LOLO WINE SHOP

“Lolo Wine is easily my favorite wine shop in East Austin,” says Will Ryan, a beverage professional. “It’s a shop and wine bar focusing on mostly natural wines. They hold events and bring in local DJs and musicians to play. The location is killer too, right next to a bunch of food trucks and great dives.”

Marfa Wine Co.

Marfa, TX

“[It’s] a tiny little wine shop filled with a great selection of natural, minimal intervention wines” says Briana Volk, owner of The Portland Hunt and Alpine Club. “You can buy bottles to go or hang on their patio and enjoy them as well.”

Sunrise Mini-Mart

Austin, TX

“I really love the fact that one of the best wine shops in Austin is in a random corner store north of the city simply because one person took it upon himself to make it happen,” says Gabriela Acero, owner of Wolfpeach. “It’s absolutely incredible. No fear, no concern about the ‘market’ or the “demographics” not aligning with natural wine or wild beers. It’s a powerful reminder of the simple humanity of beverage, and that anyone, anyplace can attain the knowledge to curate an incredible program. And furthermore, that anyone anywhere deserves to have access to these beautiful beverages.”

I really like Lolo although sometimes I don't feel like heading over there.  When I don't, we go to Meteor on South Congress which has a great selection of wines and good food to boot.  Meteor is underrated.  

On a side note, I enjoyed watching some winemakers on Twitter ripping apart Meomi (and doing the same with other "trendy mom wines").  Love seeing winemaker perspectives. 

Edited by texasdago

4 hours ago, creeper said:

Love both of these.  Have you had any of Boudignon's higher end stuff?  Just grabbed some '20 Savennieres Fremine but plan to let 'em rest.  The '19 Anjou Blanc is delicious right now...

Yep, my issue is that they can sometime be too natty. I mean, I like natty, but I don’t like $80 bottles of wine that go mousey in an hour. Bonnezeaux and Angeli have those issues too. We brought the Lambert (a ‘15) as an example of something that was more classic and a better value. I will say though that the Anjou Blanc was drinking really well. Dude is hyped for a reason. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Update. We evacuated this morning. The good news is that if we get past the 3 am high tide the house will survive as will the wine.  We are now safe in Miami. 

The bad news is that friends across Vanderbilt Beach Road on the fingers have all lost their houses. Total devastation from the surge. 

• Rage+1 1

I need some resources on learning more about wine. I don't have time to do exhaustive tastings at liquor stores and wineries, I mostly just want to be able to have a decent idea of what I'm looking for when going into a nice wine shop. 

Last bottle I enjoyed: La Crema Chardonnay 

Thanks for helping the noob. 

18 minutes ago, Eggo said:

I need some resources on learning more about wine. I don't have time to do exhaustive tastings at liquor stores and wineries, I mostly just want to be able to have a decent idea of what I'm looking for when going into a nice wine shop. 

Last bottle I enjoyed: La Crema Chardonnay 

Thanks for helping the noob. 

Aldo Sohm, the sommelier of Le Bernadine, released a book called “Wine Simple” which I’ve given as a gift. 

Soon enough you’ll be into tastings. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

Aldo Sohm, the sommelier of Le Bernadine, released a book called “Wine Simple” which I’ve given as a gift. 

Soon enough you’ll be into tastings. 

Ordered. 

Thank you, sir. 

On 9/28/2022 at 5:19 PM, VABuckeye said:

Update. We evacuated this morning. The good news is that if we get past the 3 am high tide the house will survive as will the wine.  We are now safe in Miami. 

The bad news is that friends across Vanderbilt Beach Road on the fingers have all lost their houses. Total devastation from the surge. 

What's your status? 

On 9/29/2022 at 11:19 PM, Eggo said:

Ordered. 

Thank you, sir. 

What's your status? 

Came home today.  We got power and internet back at 7 pm.  We are fortunate that even though we live close to the gulf we were far enough away to avoid the devastation that many are dealing with.  The wine survived.  I opened three bottles with a neighbor and they drank well.  I can only consider myself lucky because we have a lot of friends dealing with major damage to total loss of their homes. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2