Wine

Hollywood

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

While I’m always hesitant to post after bp I had to post this one.  David Fulton Petit Syrah has been a favorite of mine for a while.  Sadly, the vineyard was sold a few years ago and those beautiful vines were ripped up to plant yet more Cabernet in Napa Valley.   I still have a case or so left but it’s not a great aging wine so it will be gone far too soon.  

spacer.png

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Hook 'Em 2

7f5fc1113d1c80f2c789ff2631d97ebd.jpg
ea4c5a5dca440294fc507e3236431893.jpg
359dbaa35ad09485bc1fef568a1cdfa2.jpg

My friend and neighbor opened up some old stuff last night for his wife’s birthday. I should have done better with the pics. The Buena Vista is 1978 and the BV is 1980. Each was perfect. My favorite was the Buena Vista that was silky but still had good fruit (plus Buena Vista was the first winery in California we visited so it’s special to me). His collection of California reds is spectacular.

Had group dinner at The Little Nell in Aspen last night with two different winemakers and we let the Somms do a mystery blind tasting with us throughout the night. Basically can you guess varietal and region.

We ordered a Gosset Celebris 2008 to start.

They then brought out the Poully Fume and the Ink Grade. Poully Fume was delicious . Ink Grade was the least favorite wine of the night. It had a green quality to it that I couldn’t get past.

Then we ended up ordering a mag of the Sancerre which I am told was a unicorn type wine. That was confirmed when someone from a different winery stopped by the table and saw the bottle and said “oh!” Everyone geeked out about it. I just looked it up on the list and it was $1000. Somm said they get the only two bottles that come to Colorado

Next wave of blind wines was the Barbaresco and the Bernstein. Barbaresco showed really really well and the Bernstein was out of this world good. Both winemakers were blown away by it.

The Erasmus threw everyone off. Nobody even came close to guessing Priorat. It was big and chewy though.

Final wine was a tough one. Everyone kept guessing Bordeaux but the Monte Bello was of course great. It held up fantastic on the fruit and had zero of that typical brickish color that you would expect with a 94 vintage .

Pretty solid little dinner. Weather was high of 65. Going to be hard to get back on that plane to TX.

62e192a391f3dfe9392898ba4e9d0999.jpg

ec805928387697cd0725dfcb98104847.jpg

69441c8e9cebdc122d0896bae6be6051.jpg

9f8e27f2afc842d2ef00a574408d1990.jpg

4f00c34b440c2ca8302e8f3e8afa4a6c.jpg

2ffb3a8212a03f8caefdc18117501bcd.jpg
0ff1a0a445ccfd347660330f3f94c639.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

We just went under contract on a new home complete with a nice wine space, so I suppose you'll be seeing more of me on this thread. I'm not greatly experienced, but I am wine curious and have been reading Aldo Somm's Wine Simple to gain the lay of the land. Happy to entertain suggestions on how I should fill this bad boy up, but don't be an asshole and suggest a bunch of Burgundy that will get me divorced. 

Screenshot_20230620_052210_Chrome.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

So, this week went from good to silly in a hurry.

f68cb0c8191259dd5605f888d9c47329.jpg
212cdd647cc444dcd41c793ad9ada455.jpg

I’ve been fortunate enough to taste select vintages of d’Yquem over the years, all of which were superb… but they were entirely outclassed by this Fargues. This expression was simply mind blowing and worth every penny… what a bottle!

• Drool 1

Will be up in the Santa Cruz Mountains area of CA later this summer.  Looking for recs on wineries to visit.  I don't think I've had any wine from that AVA aside from a bottle or two from Ridge's Monte Bello vineyards, so I'm pretty clueless.  Have heard/read some good things about Thomas Fogarty and Sante Arcangeli, but other than that I'm starting from scratch.  Any recs?  I'll take restaurant suggestions as well.  TIA

Ridge is a fun visit (also fun to pack a picnic), but my favorite in the area is Rhys.

Sadly, the best restaurant in the area--Manresa--closed after 20 years late last year.  You could do worse than checking out Mentone and The Bywater.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...