Wine

Hollywood

10 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Point me toward a good $20 - $30 red that’s not Zinfandel, please.
I like Napa Cabs. I do not like $80+ per bottle often.

That’s a tough price point for a good Napa cab.  Here are a couple of suggestions though right at $30:  Hess Allomi and Obsidian Ridge (this one is Lake County, so just north of Napa County, but pretty good for that price).  You can get both of these at Total Wine.

6 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Oh, it doesn’t have to be Cabs. Any other red beside Zin in the $20 - $30 range. My favorite is Napa Cabs, but I can’t afford to drink $80+ bottles of wine really often.

Try the Stags' Leap Petite Syrah; it should be in the low $30 range.

• Like 1

Or most anything from the Willamette Valley. However if you’re looking for something a little heavier I’d look to Langedoc for a red blend for good value. Typically combinations of one or more of Grenache, Mourvèdre, Syrah.

Or some lower priced Rioja or Ribera del Duero.

yep, plenty of them. Alphonse Mellot is a great producer there

I had no idea. Did some reading after the earlier posts. Apparently Sancerre producers began planting PN in the region in the 90’s. The rest of the Loire reds are typically Cabernet Franc.

I will need to try some of these.

We signed up for First Leaf wine club. 

6 bottles for 19.99. Using Drinkfirstleaf19.

You fill out what you like and they send a package.

I'm far from a wine douche but pretty good wine for about 3/bottle.

We've used that code 3 separate times and it's worked every time.  Just remember to cancel your next shipment and you won't be billed.

Anyway

3 hours ago, TeddyBearStallion said:

Am I the only one that finds that pretty much all wines taste like grape-flavored mouthwash?  

You are drinking crappy wine, or you are drinking good wine and not letting it open 

Or you just don't like wine

On 7/27/2019 at 1:45 PM, HenryJames said:

How was the Ste Hune?

I found it surprisingly fresh and crisp for its age. I expected it to be dominated by minerality and petroleum, but it was still very acidic and had a lot of citrus notes as well. Definitely would recommend it. 

I bought a Vinotheque insulated cabinet with racks last year that fits perfectly into the recess below my stairwell.  It holds about 120 bottles and is insulated, but was missing the refrigeration unit.  I had to shell out another $1400 for a WhisperKOOL 2500 cabinet system with controller and probe, but now it's under warranty and I can cellar some nicer stuff.

The decorations are temporary-- I've got a collection of nice wine crate panels that I'll cut down to fit over the wall as a veneer. 

IMG-9527.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

@AustinMT, what brand are those and how do you like them?

From Costco;  not on sale now but they often have these on sale.  I really like them -- wood shelving that rolls smoothly, plenty of storage.  I like the side display rows they put in the middle:

https://www.costco.com/Wine-Enthusiast-Giant-300-Bottle-Wine-Cellar-with-VinoView-Shelving.product.100378590.html

On 8/7/2019 at 9:19 AM, Gravy Train said:

I bought a Vinotheque insulated cabinet with racks last year that fits perfectly into the recess below my stairwell.  It holds about 120 bottles and is insulated, but was missing the refrigeration unit.  I had to shell out another $1400 for a WhisperKOOL 2500 cabinet system with controller and probe, but now it's under warranty and I can cellar some nicer stuff.

The decorations are temporary-- I've got a collection of nice wine crate panels that I'll cut down to fit over the wall as a veneer. 

IMG-9527.jpg

That's beautiful. If I ever get a 2nd one I would love one that style. 

Picked this one up last year (photos are from the seller not my place).

Holds about 425. I have it about 3/4 of the way filled. Had it all organized in cellar tracker until the right side filled in recently. So badly need to pull everything out and organize. 

s-l1600-4.jpg

s-l1600-8.jpg

• Like 1

100 bottle Eurocave at the house and offsite storage in Houston and London.

I’ve been interested in getting one of the Eurocave models, probably something like this:

https://www.wineenthusiast.com/eurocave-premiere-m-wine-cellar?quantity=1&doorstyle=9

My only hesitation is that there is nowhere locally (DFW) to look at one in person so I have to rely on online specs, descriptions, and reviews. In fairness, that’s true for most other brands as well.

How do you like yours?

I’ve been interested in getting one of the Eurocave models, probably something like this:

https://www.wineenthusiast.com/eurocave-premiere-m-wine-cellar?quantity=1&doorstyle=9

My only hesitation is that there is nowhere locally (DFW) to look at one in person so I have to rely on online specs, descriptions, and reviews. In fairness, that’s true for most other brands as well.

How do you like yours?

I would encourage you to do a search or start a thread on wine berserkers forum. Wineberserkers.com

Lots of really knowledgeable people who will offer help.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

What does offsite storage cost?

Assuming you're in Austin, there aren't a lot of options at the moment.  I had to transfer my off-site storage last year and at the time pricing was $229/month for 900 bottle storage at Vault 55; $4200/yr for 80 case storage at Vine Vault, and something in between for a much larger storage space with significantly more restrictions at the old Red Room space downtown, which is where I ended up.  In NY, I have open storage which is $5 per case per month with everything being managed by the cellar service.

14 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

How do you like yours?

Love it.  Had it for about 10 years now and never had an issue.  Will be moving back to London in a few months so will have to sell this one and do something different over there.

• Fuck You 1

13 hours ago, creeper said:

Assuming you're in Austin, there aren't a lot of options at the moment.  I had to transfer my off-site storage last year and at the time pricing was $229/month for 900 bottle storage at Vault 55; $4200/yr for 80 case storage at Vine Vault, and something in between for a much larger storage space with significantly more restrictions at the old Red Room space downtown, which is where I ended up.  In NY, I have open storage which is $5 per case per month with everything being managed by the cellar service.

Texas is incredibly expensive, presumably because of the costs to cool.  I’ve paid between $600-$750 per month at two different locations to store around 1200 bottles.  For my collection in London, its about $15 per case ANNUALLY.

Edited by Doug E. Fresh
  • Fuck You 1

On 7/29/2019 at 7:33 PM, b_p said:

I found it surprisingly fresh and crisp for its age. I expected it to be dominated by minerality and petroleum, but it was still very acidic and had a lot of citrus notes as well. Definitely would recommend it. 

best riesling out there imo.  inject that shit into my veins.