Wine

Hollywood

1 minute ago, VABuckeye said:

Isn’t that young to be drinking La Tache?

Haven’t had it yet. Bought it take away off the menu at Biga in SA because it was a steal. I’ve found a number of deals on SA menus and they let you walk out with the bottles. I bought 4x 2000 Leoville Las Cases a couple of years ago, drank one and walked out with the other 3. 

Haven’t had it yet. Bought it take away off the menu at Biga in SA because it was a steal. I’ve found a number of deals on SA menus and they let you walk out with the bottles. I bought 4x 2000 Leoville Las Cases a couple of years ago, drank one and walked out with the other 3. 

Do you tip on it if they don’t open it?

Don't have it in me to go back and peruse every post, ban user, delete question:

What's a good red to go with the ribeye roast I'll be cooking Christmas day?  I'll be the only one drinking, and I have typically enjoyed bold Cabs and whatnot.  Call the budget $50 for a bottle, Spec's pricing.

Don't have it in me to go back and peruse every post, ban user, delete question:

What's a good red to go with the ribeye roast I'll be cooking Christmas day?  I'll be the only one drinking, and I have typically enjoyed bold Cabs and whatnot.  Call the budget $50 for a bottle, Spec's pricing.

Look for Bedrock Zinfandel. Well within your budget. Bold red with tons of fruit. A nice change of pace from cab (less tannic). Does really well with grilled meats.

Also Limerick Lane zin or Carlisle (if you can find them).

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

DDD always has good suggestions (and Bedrock makes nice wines) but as a counterpoint I’d say that a cab with firm tannins can cut through the fat from a prime rib.  If you want something in the $50-60 range that is easy to find and would pair, try Stag’s Leap Artemis. Full without being overpowering.  

DDD always has good suggestions (and Bedrock makes nice wines) but as a counterpoint I’d say that a cab with firm tannins can cut through the fat from a prime rib.  If you want something in the $50-60 range that is easy to find and would pair, try Stag’s Leap Artemis. Full without being overpowering.  

That’s why I commented that it’s a change of pace and described the flavor profile. The Zinfandel will definitely enhance the experience of Maillard reaction but I agree that for the fatty portions the tannins in a Cabernet Sauvignon or Bordeaux blend would be helpful.

It really depends on what sort of experience you want from the pairing.

If you are dead set on the more traditional pairing of a tannic red then the Stag’s Leap is a pretty good choice.

Barnett Vineyards cab is pretty consistent and around that price point I think too. Another option would be Shafer cab. They are all pretty high volume wines but generally enjoyable.
  • Like 1

Another Zin worth picking up is frank family.

If you want to stay with cabs, can’t go wrong with Hall at that price. Cuttings is a big bold cab.
Others off the top of my head
Buena vista
Seqoya grove
Austin hope

If you want to go a little north of $50, grab Adaptation ($65). Outstanding wine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent recommendations, thanks.  I think I'll try the Zin -- I was reading about wine pairings with steak and several articles pointed out how well zinfandels do, especially for those who prefer a sweeter wine as opposed to the tannins of a cab.

Zins do really well with grilled meats. The tannins in cabs (and many other reds, like Tempranillo and lots of Italian wines) help with rich sauces more than the meat itself IMO.

If you are feeling adventurous you might also consider trying out some Rhone style wines.

Hermitage (mostly Syrah) sings with beef but even more so lamb. Grenache wines are also great with grilled meats.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Zins do really well with grilled meats. The tannins in cabs (and many other reds, like Tempranillo and lots of Italian wines) help with rich sauces more than the meat itself IMO.

If you are feeling adventurous you might also consider trying out some Rhone style wines.

Hermitage (mostly Syrah) sings with beef but even more so lamb. Grenache wines are also great with grilled meats.

Speaking of good Grenache, I had this a few days back. SQN is always on point. 

B0A777F4-7E16-4B68-AEF5-F4940F6327C0.jpeg

Edited by b_p
  • Like 1

Elyse makes a really nice Zin as well. Not 100% sure is Specs carries their Zin though.

Just now, PorscheGuy said:

Killer wine, great year too.  tough decision to hold it or drink it.  Ah fuck it, its 2020 still, drink it!

I think it will either be an anniversary celebration or one heck of a gift.  Prior to this, the "fanciest" bottle I ever polished off was a 2017 DAOU Soul of a Lion Cab from Paso Robles. 

For the self admitted novice, how long can you keep bottles like this?  It's inside at a constant 70 degrees.  Sometimes a touch cooler in the winter.