Wine

Hollywood

Cabernet Sauvignon is a great aging wine and will improve If you hold it.   The quotes are from two different reviewers.  The second paragraph is Robert Parker.  I would hold it at Least five years.  It’s a travesty to drink great wines too young before they develop. 

The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain is flat-out sensational and literally jumps out of the glass. Blackcurrants, crème de cassis, bay leaf, scorched earth, graphite and kiss of spring flower nuances give way to a powerful, concentrated, yet ethereal 2014 that glides across the palate. It's one of the more structured, tannic wines from Chris and really need 3-4 years or cellaring to shine, but it's going to evolve beautifully.

From the micro-terroir of the W. S. Keyes Vineyard on Howell Mountain, the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain is pushing perfection. Its incredibly opaque color is followed by notes of lead pencil shavings, mulberry, blackberry and dark raspberry fruit, some background oak and minerality, and profound richness in a full-bodied, multi-dimensional style. It is gorgeously ripe, and sexy already, with a lush and voluptuous texture. Drink it over the next 25+ years.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Cabernet Sauvignon is a great aging wine and will improve If you hold it.   The quotes are from two different reviewers.  The second paragraph is Robert Parker.  I would hold it at Least five years.  It’s a travesty to drink great wines too young before they develop. 

The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain is flat-out sensational and literally jumps out of the glass. Blackcurrants, crème de cassis, bay leaf, scorched earth, graphite and kiss of spring flower nuances give way to a powerful, concentrated, yet ethereal 2014 that glides across the palate. It's one of the more structured, tannic wines from Chris and really need 3-4 years or cellaring to shine, but it's going to evolve beautifully.

From the micro-terroir of the W. S. Keyes Vineyard on Howell Mountain, the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain is pushing perfection. Its incredibly opaque color is followed by notes of lead pencil shavings, mulberry, blackberry and dark raspberry fruit, some background oak and minerality, and profound richness in a full-bodied, multi-dimensional style. It is gorgeously ripe, and sexy already, with a lush and voluptuous texture. Drink it over the next 25+ years.

Thanks.  20th anniversary timing right in line with these suggestions.  

On 12/23/2020 at 12:48 PM, BabaYaga said:

I think it will either be an anniversary celebration or one heck of a gift.  Prior to this, the "fanciest" bottle I ever polished off was a 2017 DAOU Soul of a Lion Cab from Paso Robles. 

For the self admitted novice, how long can you keep bottles like this?  It's inside at a constant 70 degrees.  Sometimes a touch cooler in the winter.  

It’ll be fine for several years at those temps. If you want to lay it down for 5+, you should keep it at 55 deg and about 70% humidity. Invest in small wine cooler if you want to do that, but if I’m completely honest with you, I’d drink it at the first opportunity. You’ll enjoy it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Jimbaround said:

Yeah, I used to like it but now it is cloyingly fruity. My wife and step mom like it so that works for me. I’ve still got about six bottles left from a case of 2014.

I decanted the Mascot and Anomaly for 24 hours and they both needed it.

I think that’s the way a lot of people (including me) are about Caymus.  Years ago I would drink it, then moved on.  Everything the Wagner family makes is too sweet, but they sell a ton of it.  I see that one was a Special Selection, which is at least aged, and aged in oak, unlike the base wine.

I have a bottle of the 2013 Mascot left — drank one, gifted one, and letting the other lay down a while.  How was it after the decant?

On 12/24/2020 at 5:37 PM, b_p said:

It’ll be fine for several years at those temps. If you want to lay it down for 5+, you should keep it at 55 deg and about 70% humidity. Invest in small wine cooler if you want to do that, but if I’m completely honest with you, I’d drink it at the first opportunity. You’ll enjoy it. 

We have one.  Never gave much thought to chilling red wine?  Shows what I know.  

On 11/17/2020 at 11:02 PM, Captain Ron said:

So sell me some wine glasses. The first set we got were ok, nothing fancy. But I have been wanting some new wine glasses and with Christmas coming up ...

On 11/18/2020 at 9:15 AM, milkman said:

Zaltos are really nice but beware they are easily broken!  If you are going on a bender just use some Riedels.

Grassls + Zaltos from CJF Selections - http://www.cjfselections.com
15% off code CJF15 - expires 12/15/2020

On 11/18/2020 at 11:21 AM, AustinMT said:

Zaltos are great, and really enhance a wine.  They are more resilient than they look.  I have broken one, but only because I mishandled it.  

For everyday, I use Gabriel Glas, which run about $30/stem.

We've gone to using universal stems, because it's just easier than having separate red and white.  The bowls in Zalto and Gariel Glas are big enough for cabs.

As suggested above, Riedels are always good.

On 11/18/2020 at 6:55 PM, Errestaurants said:

Schott Zwiesel’s are nice for everyday drinking

On 11/18/2020 at 7:11 PM, Mac8111 said:

Yeti tumbler holds a full bottle of wine....

On 11/18/2020 at 11:29 PM, AustinMT said:

I have a set of these as well.  They are a good choice and very durable — I have tipped them over on granite with no damage.

Just wanted to give a follow up on all of this. Rep has been handed out accordingly.

Gabriel-Glas ended up being the winner. I really REALLY was wanted some Zaltos but they were just a little above budget for everyday. The Gabriel-Glas were just the right size and shape for what I was looking for everyday use. I picked up a half dozen of the "StandArt" and I will fill that out with another half dozen soon. They certainly blow away the Crate & Barrel stems we started with.

For any Zalto users - Bordeaux or Burgundy?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Just wanted to give a follow up on all of this. Rep has been handed out accordingly.

Gabriel-Glas ended up being the winner. I really REALLY was wanted some Zaltos but they were just a little above budget for everyday. The Gabriel-Glas were just the right size and shape for what I was looking for everyday use. I picked up a half dozen of the "StandArt" and I will fill that out with another half dozen soon. They certainly blow away the Crate & Barrel stems we started with.

Universal.  They work great with red, white and champagne.  Also takes less space to store with only needing one stem for all.  I know many who have gone to using teh Zalto Universal stems, including some high end wineries for tastings

• Hook 'Em 1

I have both of those but it seems we always end up using the universal stems.
We typically start with bubbles then move on to whites and from there to reds. You can use the same glass for everything!

Oh and a little tip.....start using universal stems for Champagne.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/26/2020 at 8:00 PM, AustinMT said:

I think that’s the way a lot of people (including me) are about Caymus.  Years ago I would drink it, then moved on.  Everything the Wagner family makes is too sweet, but they sell a ton of it.  I see that one was a Special Selection, which is at least aged, and aged in oak, unlike the base wine.

I have a bottle of the 2013 Mascot left — drank one, gifted one, and letting the other lay down a while.  How was it after the decant?

It was a bit overpowering, almost bitter, at first sip.  Then it mellowed out as my tastebuds got used to it.  It was an excellent complement with a fatty meal though.  I've got two more bottles and I'll probably wait another year to try the next one.

4 hours ago, Balcones said:

really enjoyed Prisoner with Xmas dinner.  Highly recommend and easy to find.

Some background: that wine was created by a guy named David Phinney, who sold the label to the much-hated Constellation Brands.  He sold other labels to the less-hated Gallo (under the Orin Swift company).  Made hundreds of millions in the sales.  He actually later went back to work for Orin Swift, and also has his own line.

If you liked the Prisoner style, I'd suggest trying Papillon (also easy to find), made by Orin Swift.  Haven't had either in a while, but as I recall they are similar blends.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Some background: that wine was created by a guy named David Phinney, who sold the label to the much-hated Constellation Brands.  He sold other labels to the less-hated Gallo (under the Orin Swift company).  Made hundreds of millions in the sales.  He actually later went back to work for Orin Swift, and also has his own line.
If you liked the Prisoner style, I'd suggest trying Papillon (also easy to find), made by Orin Swift.  Haven't had either in a while, but as I recall they are similar blends.

Very well said.

His wines are what started me getting into wine. Easy to drink most of his wines.

Abstract is around $30 and a great wine for the money. Cuttings is an under rated wine as well. Actually opened up a 2012 Papillon last week, drank great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a guess but I’m thinking the Maiden was the star of the show? Although the 89 Jaboulet might also be there. Seriously good lineup. And the Veuve looks amazing with the darkness and still full of effervescence. Also surprised at how youthful the 86 Ridge looks. Thanks for the pictures. 

• 2 weeks later...

What’s your desert island wine? Reasonably affordable, findable, you could drink it forever if you had to?

We go through a truckload of Michael + David Petite Petit. For $15 there’s just nothing I’ve had that I like better. But I’m a very unsophisticated wine drinker.

26 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

What’s your desert island wine? Reasonably affordable, findable, you could drink it forever if you had to?

We go through a truckload of Michael + David Petite Petit. For $15 there’s just nothing I’ve had that I like better. But I’m a very unsophisticated wine drinker.

spacer.png