Family car bigger than sedan but good gas mileage

So we’re trying to figure out what kind of car to get next. This will probably be my daily driver. We already have a newer explorer so we’re not really needing an suv. We have a 15 month old and plan on having another in a few months.

I drive quite a bit so I care about gas mileage. I end up in courts all around the Houston area. Wife doesn’t want another accord ( or sedan for that matter) which is what we are going to be replacing. She’s thinking we need something that sits up a little higher as we’re probably about to have two under 3.

We’re still in the early stages but wondering if y’all have any experiences with similar situations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toyota Highlander. It’s not as high up as a 4-runner and uses a sedan chassis.

In a very quick search I’ve found the hybrid version of this. Was unsure because it has the third row but it seemed too small to be useful.

That sounds like the worst car search ever.  Gas mileage is your primary driver?

No not necessarily.

We basically don’t have a lean at all.

The explorer is maxed out so the wife is happy. I don’t really care what I drive.

She wants something bigger than a sedan but not as big as another full size suv I guess. I sorta care about the gas mileage thing but it’s not a deal breaker. I like the idea that the highlander has the hybrid option.

In a very quick search I’ve found the hybrid version of this. Was unsure because it has the third row but it seemed too small to be useful.

How many kids do you have? Your wife may want to consider a mini-van...or a 1981 wood-grained station wagon.

On 3/31/2018 at 8:17 AM, SMUlawUTgrad said:

Do not want a van.

I did not consider the Volvo angle. I like that. A lot.

Will investigate and report back.

Your wife is driving the car search for your vehicle, take control or give in that you're getting a van.

On 3/30/2018 at 8:53 AM, texhorn said:

Subaru outback?

I love my Outback, but I got the 6 cylinder to charge up the hill at high elevations.  I get 22-23 around town.  The 4s get better.

Handles like a car.  Full-time AWD (handles like a champ on snowy roads FWIW).  Stellar safety.  Better ground clearance than a Grand Cherokee.  Get in-touch with your inner lesbian.

2 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

I love my Outback, but I got the 6 cylinder to charge up the hill at high elevations.  I get 22-23 around town.  The 4s get better.

Handles like a car.  Full-time AWD (handles like a champ on snowy roads FWIW).  Stellar safety.  Better ground clearance than a Grand Cherokee.  Get in-touch with your inner lesbian.

I hear there’s lots of room in the backseat for scissoring 

• Like 2

On 3/31/2018 at 8:17 AM, SMUlawUTgrad said:

Do not want a van.

I did not consider the Volvo angle. I like that. A lot.

Will investigate and report back.

You say you don't want a min van.  Then you will rent one on vacation and understand the greatness that sliding doors and enough walking space to buckle up kids is and wonder, "why didn't I consider a mini van?"

9 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

Got a 4 cyl Outback Touring a few months ago & love it. Very dog friendly (key for us; no kids), versatile, safe, smooth handling & fantastic to live with as a daily driver. The extra ground clearance will be handy when we got out to the in-laws ranch. 

13 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

And Subaru.

If cost is no concern, the new volvo wagons are awesome.

I just recently bought a 4-cyl outback touring, which was more in my price range. Really happy with it so far. You can't go wrong with either. 

On 3/30/2018 at 10:58 AM, SMUlawUTgrad said:

We have a current-generation Highlander. With two kids, we leave the 3rd row folded flat 95% of the time. In this class of vehicles, the 3rd row is really only useful for kids, or adults on short trips. You'd never go on a long roadtrip or something with an adult in the back, but I've sat back there a few times just going around town and it's fine.

To answer your question, though, you've said you want:

• something bigger than a sedan
  • smaller than a "full-size SUV"
  • sits up high
  • decent gas mileage
  • not a minivan

IMO, everything about that list says compact (i.e. two row, 5 passenger) SUV to me. Examples would be Toyota RAV-4, Subaru Forester, Ford Escape, Nissan Rogue, etc. I hate Honda with a burning passion so please don't buy a Honda but the CRV is in that class, too. I'm sure BMW, Audi, etc all have their versions if you want luxury.

Edited by tokamak
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2018 at 11:13 AM, SMUlawUTgrad said:

No not necessarily.

We basically don’t have a lean at all.

The explorer is maxed out so the wife is happy. I don’t really care what I drive.

She wants something bigger than a sedan but not as big as another full size suv I guess. I sorta care about the gas mileage thing but it’s not a deal breaker. I like the idea that the highlander has the hybrid option.

the explorer and the highlander are the same size. 

if you want something that rides higher up than a car but isn't a full size C/SUV, you can either look at butch wagons like the buick regal tour-x, or a butch hatchback  (the car companies are trying to call them sub-compact crossovers or some bullshit, but the toyota C-HR is within an inch of the old matrix in every direction).

of course, you already  have a family car so i'm not sure why your wife is insisting that you also get another one. 

turn off your tapatalk sig.

Do not want a van.

We already have a newer explorer

too late!

IMO, everything about that list says compact (i.e. two row, 5 passenger) SUV to me. Examples would be Toyota RAV-4, Subaru Forester, Ford Escape, Nissan Rogue, etc. I hate Honda with a burning passion so please don't buy a Honda but the CRV is in that class, too. I'm sure BMW, Audi, etc all have their versions if you want luxury.

well, he said he's not really needing another SUV, so i was leaving those off the list as they're marketed as SUVs by the car companies.  but if he meant something not the size of the explorer, then those should be on the shopping list.  i'm partial to the mazda cx-5 myself. 

Edited by elfenix

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

well, he said he's not really needing another SUV, so i was leaving those off the list as they're marketed as SUVs by the car companies.  but if he meant something not the size of the explorer, then those should be on the shopping list.  i'm partial to the mazda cx-5 myself. 

Yeah, not a sedan, not an SUV, not a minivan doesn't leave a lot. Maybe a four door Tacoma, or even an Ecoboost F-150?

If you are in the market for a pre-owned vehicle, the Nissan Murano Crosscabriolet convertible is a fine look at...

It's like a station wagon with a little bit of a sports/ cruiser vibe that can get the job done, if you don't really need a 3rd row of seats...

giphy.gif