Santa Barbara, CA - Living

tucker

37 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

If I’m in my 30’s, Goleta is fine.  You’re not gonna live in Hope Ranch.

Fuck that shit. I'd rather live in a cardboard box on State St. than the newly christened 'City of Goleta'

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

I know this board has strong feelings about Caymus, but the Conundrum sparkling rose is one of my favorites.  And it's only $25-30 a bottle.

You are paying way to much!!  If your HEB does not have it, have them bring it in.  It's in their system, just ask for it.  I pay $17 for single bottles.  Buy six and its a little over $15 with the discount.

33 minutes ago, PorscheGuy said:

You are paying way to much!!  If your HEB does not have it, have them bring it in.  It's in their system, just ask for it.  I pay $17 for single bottles.  Buy six and its a little over $15 with the discount.

I get it directly from the winery.  I think it's $25 a bottle with a 10-20% discount if you buy by the case.  Haven't bought any in a while.  $17 is a great price, but I'm not in Texas.  No HEB for me...

4 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I feel you need much less of a house than you do in Texas.  The weather is so damn good you can spend so much time outdoors.

I would make it just fine in SB with a 2-1 small bungalow.  as long as I had a yard and a decent back porch.  don't even need a view.

• Like 1

Yep. I could do that. Would leave after 4-5 years though. This SB thread has me thinking about summers there. A month, $12,000 or so for housing, split a few ways, then come back to lake Travis for the start of school and football and the Fall.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2019 at 11:09 PM, troph said:

If you need executive comp representation let me know. Especially on the equity piece if you feel lost.

Rest of it I agree with SBB you can probably do just fine renting, just know you’ll need to leave unless you kill it on the IPO. I love SB would enjoy a summer there. It’s a tad bit warmer than I like but NoCal is more my climate. When I was a straight dude my ex and I spent some time there and had a blast. The farmers market is unreal. Can’t go wrong living there.

PM sent

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 2:44 PM, tucker said:

A company reached out that is based in Santa Barbara and wants me to meet the executive team. How much money will I need to consider moving from Texas?

How is it to live for someone with no kids? Am I going to be bored AF living there?

I am late 30s not married but not single. 

id do it in a heartbeat.  I'd eat at buchon every night, and relish the weather.  I've offered to rent my wife a house there for the summer and travel out there on weekends.  

It's the weather, man,. Truly.

at some point it doesn't enter your conscious, you never think about the weather anymore because it is always just right.

That cool Pacific breeze is magical, just evens everything out.

I would rarely be indoors. Having to work indoors would be torture to be honest.

People who like seasons kind of get bummed out about it, but it is literally the same temperature there year round.

• Like 2
  • Drool 1

just because i am a dork, looked at some weather stats.

Average high in January - Santa Barbara 64F | Austin 51F

Average high in August - Santa Barbara 76F | Austin 97F

# of rainy days a year ; Santa Barbara 37 | Austin 88

SB averages 0.9 days of rain in June, 0.4 days of rain in July, and 0.5 days of rain in August. Essentially it doesn't rain all summer, with a high averaging around 75 every day. Jesus.

8 hours ago, yoladu said:

just because i am a dork, looked at some weather stats.

Average high in January - Santa Barbara 64F | Austin 51F

Average high in August - Santa Barbara 76F | Austin 97F

# of rainy days a year ; Santa Barbara 37 | Austin 88

SB averages 0.9 days of rain in June, 0.4 days of rain in July, and 0.5 days of rain in August. Essentially it doesn't rain all summer, with a high averaging around 75 every day. Jesus.

Most years, it rains some over about a 4 to 5 week period from early January to mid February, and then it doesn't rain more than a few days the rest of the year in Southern California.

People plan beach weddings months in advance, because they know that it isn't going to rain. The thought of having an umbrella in your car doesn't exist. But sadly, people already know this and that's why money from all over the world pours into SoCal to buy real estate, because it's one of the most perfect spots on earth, if you can afford it.

On 5/17/2019 at 1:13 AM, Napoleon said:

Most years, it rains some over about a 4 to 5 week period from early January to mid February, and then it doesn't rain more than a few days the rest of the year in Southern California.

People plan beach weddings months in advance, because they know that it isn't going to rain. The thought of having an umbrella in your car doesn't exist. But sadly, people already know this and that's why money from all over the world pours into SoCal to buy real estate, because it's one of the most perfect spots on earth, if you can afford it.

And therein lies the rub.  It's gotten to the point where in many areas $1 mill is almost starter home pricing.  A 2bd apt in a decent area is $2,500-$4,000/mo, with nicer ones going for much more.  The affordability crisis is in full effect, but the cost to build is so astronomical solving it with more supply will be hard to do.

24 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

And therein lies the rub.  It's gotten to the point where in many areas $1 mill is almost starter home pricing.  A 2bd apt in a decent area is $2,500-$4,000/mo, with nicer ones going for much more.  The affordability crisis is in full effect, but the cost to build is so astronomical solving it with more supply will be hard to do.

This isn't the thread for this discussion, but shit's about to get real.  Builders are sitting on a ton of unsold inventory. 

2 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

This isn't the thread for this discussion, but shit's about to get real.  Builders are sitting on a ton of unsold inventory. 

Well, the disconnect between housing and wages has to materialize, and it looks like it is.  Spending 50-60% of your income on housing is not sustainable.  We just sold a major entitled multi-family development opportunity.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Santa Barbara, stayed at the Biltmore for 4 nights. Hit up a few restaurants and walked around State St. a bunch. 

I was super impressed by everything, even discounting the fancy hotel situation.  Loved the small town feel with tons of dining/shopping/outdoor options. Damn. 

• Like 2

No, we drove by it.  We went to Jeannine's and San Ysidro Pharmacy and enjoyed both breakfasts there. La Super-Rica Taqueria was damn good for lunch. 

Lucky's for dinner was solid but I'm tired of steakhouses. We had to cancel reservations at The Stonehouse which was a bummer. 

On 4/25/2019 at 12:51 PM, Mach 1 said:

^^^

I'll add Brophy Brothers bar on the pier as a reason to live in SB.

BROPHYS_127.JPG?format=1500w

I love taking my bat there, getting a slip on the right in the picture, and then grabbing cocktails and oysters at Brophy’s.

• 4 weeks later...

We're staying in Montecito right now. Beautiful weather and beach. So far I'd rate La Jolla just slightly higher but it doesn't matter as I'm probably never moving from Austin.

The drive up the 101 and 405 is complete ass though. Way worse than the Katy Freeway in Houston.

On 5/21/2019 at 1:02 PM, Gil Bang said:

Let me know when these poor developers are ready to eat their hat and take 25¢ on the dollar. 

• 4 months later...

Was re-reading through this thread as we are renting a beach house in the northernmost part of Malibu for a portion of spring break in March and plan on going up to and hanging around SB one of the days (and looking through this thread for additional ideas of nearby places to go...thanks for the Carpinteria mention above). Curious how the decision went/is going for the OP.

Company is HQ'd in SB. Get to go out once a quarter and stay at The Bacara (Ritz) for a week. Always enjoy it quite a bit. Decent party town and they have four universities/colleges. Population can be quite young. Great bar scene, great weather, basically everything everyone else has said. All the kids that live have to do 3-4 to a house. I'm sure if you lived in SB proper you would have lots of attention. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...