Santa Barbara, CA - Living

tucker

Been here for 5 days. Sailing, wine country, biking all over, just a great time. Driving back from the wine country today though we saw the beginning of the Alisal Fire. 😞

FC46EACA-B111-4E01-B2B4-771497F39A9F.jpeg

5F06401A-6DDB-4C8A-A224-70F3BE3C11FF.jpeg

CCB81835-0E1B-45BB-AF90-14A5F47D041C.jpeg

the 101 was shut down just west of Goleta not an hour after we passed by. Winds gusting to 70mph+ just not a great situation. I do think this one will run out of fuel before it gets to massive but it’s at 2000 acres in just a few hours. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Loquito was top notch, enjoyed lucky penny pizza, Santa Barbara shellfish co was fun, live Dungeness crab, janes was dumb, bibi ji was fun Indian joint, caje coffee roasters are legit legit, Santa Barbara wine collective was great too. Topa topa had a good beer selection and solid music scene.

7928FFD4-5274-4537-88E5-0221DE9F070C.jpeg

F715202D-0106-4E06-BC18-CB1A2F236043.jpeg

B9DA778C-E3AD-453F-A477-E988F50883D6.jpeg

585B35DD-453E-4579-ABE7-01DDD806019E.jpeg

B180C989-3C77-4AF0-BF98-F363D1157946.jpeg

CDB2E2D6-65BF-4137-A6A4-59ACE27CFAA2.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

On 5/16/2019 at 3:40 PM, yoladu said:

It's the weather, man,. Truly.

at some point it doesn't enter your conscious, you never think about the weather anymore because it is always just right.

Ha, this is so true.  At a certain point you just forget about the weather.  I didn't travel enough for work to be a seasoned pro, so on the occasional trips I'd make, I'd be packing and realize, "holy shit, I'm going to Philadelphia in January and I don't even have an overcoat".

I'd love to cash out house and move somewhere less California, but the problem always comes down to the weather.

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Maybe at some point enough families and companies will leave California for Texas and we can afford to buy a live in Santa Barbara. I can dream.

With all the CA jabronis paying $750k+ for shitty tear down houses in my Austin neighborhood, I thought this was happening already, but after spending a week in SB this summer and deciding I needed to live there, I did some research. Basically, it seems that one can buy a double-wide trailer on the side of the freeway in Ventura for like $850k. Guess I'm stuck here in ATX until I win the lotto. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/16/2019 at 3:40 PM, yoladu said:

It's the weather, man,. Truly.

at some point it doesn't enter your conscious, you never think about the weather anymore because it is always just right.

That cool Pacific breeze is magical, just evens everything out.

I would rarely be indoors. Having to work indoors would be torture to be honest.

People who like seasons kind of get bummed out about it, but it is literally the same temperature there year round.

So as a guy who lives in SoCal and that has lived in a lot of other places in the US, this resonates.  I had some thought about dumping my house here in OC and taking the equity and just move back to Texas and live like a king.   Back and forth, back and forth I've thought about it.  Yes, property taxes are more in Texas and can escalate, but everything else, California is far more expensive.  

I just spent a week in Texas and the weather, in early to mid-October, is still brutal.  Hot in Texas feels different than hot in coastal California.  So, idk what I will do now.  Yes, weather sucks, but money is money.  

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

So as a guy who lives in SoCal and that has lived in a lot of other places in the US, this resonates.  I had some thought about dumping my house here in OC and taking the equity and just move back to Texas and live like a king.   Back and forth, back and forth I've thought about it.  Yes, property taxes are more in Texas and can escalate, but everything else, California is far more expensive.  

I just spent a week in Texas and the weather, in early to mid-October, is still brutal.  Hot in Texas feels different than hot in coastal California.  So, idk what I will do now.  Yes, weather sucks, but money is money.  

That's lots of other amazing places in the United States that aren't Texas...or California. Like Mountains? Check out Eastern North Carolina. You can get 100 acres and a smoky mountain few there for a million dollars. Like water? Great Lakes offer some pretty affordable options. Georgia is pretty. 

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That's lots of other amazing places in the United States that aren't Texas...or California. Like Mountains? Check out Eastern North Carolina. You can get 100 acres and a smoky mountain few there for a million dollars. Like water? Great Lakes offer some pretty affordable options. Georgia is pretty. 

Depending on where, but Georgia weather is kind of similar to Texas weather.   North Carolina is definitely a place that interests me.   Due to some family dynamics I may have to do NYC for a few years.  

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Like Mountains? Check out Eastern North Carolina. You can get 100 acres and a smoky mountain few there for a million dollars.

I think you meant Western North Carolina, Magellan.  I lived in Eastern North Carolina for half of my childhood, and never caught no glimpse of no mountains.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, closetohumping said:

What part of OC are you in?  I don't remember, if I ever knew. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I’m here with kids. Already hit up the courthouse. What are the other must-sees? Any good casual places to eat near the beach or downtown? Also, up for short road trips and would love to do some hiking.

Thanks in advance.

side note - Secret Bao by the courthouse was fantastic for lunch. Get the sticky rice dessert. My kids were fighting over every morsel while nearby customers inquired as to what we ordered because it looked so good.

16 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

I’m here with kids. Already hit up the courthouse. What are the other must-sees? Any good casual places to eat near the beach or downtown? Also, up for short road trips and would love to do some hiking.

Thanks in advance.

side note - Secret Bao by the courthouse was fantastic for lunch. Get the sticky rice dessert. My kids were fighting over every morsel while nearby customers inquired as to what we ordered because it looked so good.

Head up the 101 about 20-30 minutes to El Capitan State Beach, Refugio SB, and/or Gaviota SB, and let the kids run around on the sand, find some tidepools, etc. 

One thing if you do go to the beaches in and around SB:  Watch out for tar -- it's a naturally occurring thing -- but it can be a PITA to get off skin, esp. the undersides of feet.  Baby oil & baby oil wipes seem to work well.

Wine country is about 45 minutes away.  Might not be a ton of fun for the kids, though.  On the way, you can stop at Nojoqui Falls right off the 101 and do a short hike.  I won't be surprised if there's no water in the falls, though -- or maybe only a trickle.  The drought is real.

How old are the kids?  If they're young enough, they might enjoy the Sea Center on the wharf.  Or the zoo.  (Never been, but I hear it's pretty good for a small city.)

There are whale watching tours that go out of the SB harbor.  Not sure if this is prime whale-watching season, though.  Maybe for humpbacks.  At the very least, you'll be out on the water on a nice day.  Take plenty of Dramamine, ginger pills, etc. if you're a landlubber like me.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

head back into the mountains... Do some hiking at Lizard's Mouth and then go to Cold Spring Tavern.

(Lizard's Mouth is a short 30 minute drive from downtown. Kids will climbing the rocks -  views on a clear day are spectacular)

(Cold Spring Tavern is awesome. Bring a jacket - get chilly even on a warm day)

Lizards Mouth Rock - Santa Barbara, California - Top Brunch Spots

Cold Spring Tavern, a historic Santa Maria barbecue joint on the Central  Coast, is worth the drive

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Head up the 101 about 20-30 minutes to El Capitan State Beach, Refugio SB, and/or Gaviota SB, and let the kids run around on the sand, find some tidepools, etc. 

One thing if you do go to the beaches in and around SB:  Watch out for tar -- it's a naturally occurring thing -- but it can be a PITA to get off skin, esp. the undersides of feet.  Baby oil & baby oil wipes seem to work well.

Wine country is about 45 minutes away.  Might not be a ton of fun for the kids, though.  On the way, you can stop at Nojoqui Falls right off the 101 and do a short hike.  I won't be surprised if there's no water in the falls, though -- or maybe only a trickle.  The drought is real.

How old are the kids?  If they're young enough, they might enjoy the Sea Center on the wharf.  Or the zoo.  (Never been, but I hear it's pretty good for a small city.)

There are whale watching tours that go out of the SB harbor.  Not sure if this is prime whale-watching season, though.  Maybe for humpbacks.  At the very least, you'll be out on the water on a nice day.  Take plenty of Dramamine, ginger pills, etc. if you're a landlubber like me.

They’re 8 and 13. El Capitan Beach seems like a good rec. we’ve been contemplating the whale watching tour, but it’s not the best season. Apparently that’s spring time. 

3 hours ago, yoladu said:

head back into the mountains... Do some hiking at Lizard's Mouth and then go to Cold Spring Tavern.

(Lizard's Mouth is a short 30 minute drive from downtown. Kids will climbing the rocks -  views on a clear day are spectacular)

Cold Spring Tavern, a historic Santa Maria barbecue joint on the Central  Coast, is worth the drive

Cold Spring is a really cool place.  Great rec.  Don't know why I didn't think of it -- total brainfart on my part.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

They’re 8 and 13. El Capitan Beach seems like a good rec. we’ve been contemplating the whale watching tour, but it’s not the best season. Apparently that’s spring time. 

Personally, I think Carpinteria State Beach in Carpinteria is the nicest (and family friendly) beach in the Santa Barbara metro area. Get a burger at the Spot for lunch.

Carpinteria, CA "The Spot" | Karol Franks | Flickr

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 3

We love Santa Barbara. It is a wonderful place to live if you have the coin. It’s been 23 years since we lived in the Bay Area and the bad things have just escalated.

The cost of living differential is more than what you’ll pay for a dwelling whether you rent or buy. Traffic is Cali is geometrically worse. Taxes and government fees are way higher. Gas is stupid expensive even when cheap elsewhere.

Lots of cool but make sure you got the scratch to ride

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Great recs so far. Little man loves finding crabs in the tide pools. The tar struggle is real, though. Had to stop by CVS for some baby oil (great rec again). Going whale watching tomorrow and will hit up Carpinteria on Thursday.0F714D5C-669E-4B60-BD8E-2A71F826EE61.thumb.jpeg.1903c5bd163055aca61fcd245e221931.jpeg

Hit up Little Dom's in Carp. Had dinner there on Sunday night and it was fantastic. 

This may not be the greatest rec for those with kids in tow, but the Funk Zone in SB has a lot of bars, wine tasting rooms, restaurants, etc.  Hit up Topa Topa and Lama Dog for beers -- they're located right next to each other.  Had a great meal a few years back at Lark -- hopefully it's still good.  Grab a cone at McConnell's for dessert.   

On 10/10/2022 at 5:35 PM, yoladu said:

Fuck yeah, I'm road tripping out to SB the week after Xmas and spending New Year's Eve there.  Thanks for the rec.  Any other hikes that are more moderate to difficult you would recommend?

There is a hike north on 101 from Santa Barbara that is a Butterfly Preserve or some such.  We were there early Dec 2018 and the trail started off with a few butterflies but about 1/4 the way in it was actually incredibly cool the number you were surrounded with. 

Just looked it up. Coranado Butterfly Preserve. Looks like Oct-Jan is the peak. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Fuck yeah, I'm road tripping out to SB the week after Xmas and spending New Year's Eve there.  Thanks for the rec.  Any other hikes that are more moderate to difficult you would recommend?

A bunch of good hikes in the foothills. A good jumping off point would be at the end of Tunnel Road where there is a trailhead.

• Seven Falls
  • Inspiration Point
  • La Cumbre Peak

Parking is just on the "shoulder" at the end of Tunnel Road.

• Hook 'Em 1

for non-hikers and you have 20 minutes in your itinerary, i highly recommend a quick drive on Alameda Padre Serra (APS to locals) along the Riviera (north side of Santa Barbara)

Amazing breathtaking views of downtown Santa Barbara as well as the Pacific (and the channel islands on a clear day)

It's a windy road and pretty dense with beautiful homes tucked into the hills.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/25/2021 at 7:37 AM, closetohumping said:

Sometimes I think to myself I’d rather live in Compton 

Hey now.  I was born in Lynwood (mom went to Lynwood High), Dad was from Compton (Dominguez), csb.

Couple summers ago we drove from LA to Carmel/Monterrey (sp?) and back, up through Big Sur.  Spent 1 night in Santa Barbara, stayed at a boutique Marriott (wouldnt rec for kids) and ate at Joes...spent another night in Morro Bay before getting to our final stop.

On 10/11/2022 at 8:31 AM, yoladu said:

Personally, I think Carpinteria State Beach in Carpinteria is the nicest (and family friendly) beach in the Santa Barbara metro area. Get a burger at the Spot for lunch.

Carpinteria, CA "The Spot" | Karol Franks | Flickr

I spend all of January in carp. It's the best little unknown beach town in California. I can't fucking wait until December 31st when I get there. It's perfect. Here's just one pic 20210204_102006.thumb.jpg.816b1330dc34f33c5da3ba0eb302fa14.jpg

On 10/12/2022 at 8:47 PM, Incredulity said:

There is a hike north on 101 from Santa Barbara that is a Butterfly Preserve or some such.  We were there early Dec 2018 and the trail started off with a few butterflies but about 1/4 the way in it was actually incredibly cool the number you were surrounded with. 

Just looked it up. Coranado Butterfly Preserve. Looks like Oct-Jan is the peak. 

That’s a great idea.

43 minutes ago, pops said:

I spend all of January in carp. It's the best little unknown beach town in California. I can't fucking wait until December 31st when I get there. It's perfect. Here's just one pic 20210204_102006.thumb.jpg.816b1330dc34f33c5da3ba0eb302fa14.jpg

We went to carpinteria but the weather sucked, so we grabbed some food at the spot and hit the road back to SB.

Refugio Beach was badass. Saw starfish, sea urchins, surfers, and a dude snorkeling for lobster.