Lieutenant gov. Dan Patrick

Voldemort86

The angle you take with vouchers is that they only help the liberal city folks who have school options. The real Texans in small towns will have their schools decimated because they have few, if any, alternative school options. Why does the GOP want to help big city liberals?

I mean….the thing is, it’s not about helping ANYONE. It’s about crippling public education and creating generations of gullible morons. You know, future GQP voters.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean….the thing is, it’s not about helping ANYONE. It’s about crippling public education and creating generations of gullible morons. You know, future GQP voters.

Republicanism. Defund the government and then say government can’t fix anything. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

15 hours ago, Lobo said:

Was more of a royal "you."

You know, the editorial…

Dowd is an operative, not a candidate. He’s never run for anything and we have no idea how he’ll handle it. Presumably he can access money and my hope is that someone will beat Patrick, but I’m unconvinced about her personal talent. He seems to  live defining his candidate around what he’s not rather than what he is. Sometimes that’s necessary but it’s rarely enough. 

That being said, Johnson has proven he can win a close race and doesn’t have Dowd’s baggage. Either way, an interesting, contested primary makes whoever wins stronger.

contrarywise- I’m concerned about the possibility of not having a decent Gov candidate and maybe with Dowd in the Gov Lite race, Johnson could run against Abbott.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

I still like the idea of Nathan Johnson.  He and Dowd can appeal to centrists/independents better than any other names I've heard, including Collier.  Has Johnson declared yet though?  Both are smart, you're right Johnson is more of a "Here's who I am" and Dowd is more of a "Here's who I am not."  I have no idea about Johnson's fundraising, I'm too lazy/cheap to pull the real report (not the one the public sees).  But I know well that Dowd can raise money and he's a damn good at working media.  Johnson can obviously policy wonk his way through a primary with no baggage and no real enemies. Dowd can't say that.  As long as the Texas Democrats don't tilt too far left this cycle, this is their best chance at knocking off Dan Patrick who has been quiet lately so obviously he's gonna fuck up something big in a few months.  While he's 53, Johnson still seems "young" so he's got another cycle or two to move up the foodchain if he wants to. 

I guess my tie-breaker is I think Dowd can pull in up to a half million disgruntled Republicans in a general.  And I know Dan Patrick is already worried about that because he already flipped the botswitch on youtube and social media.  And I just like the guy. 

I like Collier.   I've met him via Zoom on several occasions. He is personable and bright.   That said, I really like seeing other good candidates coming forward.  I like what I am seeing.  I read in the Tribune article on Dowd that he'd love to work with Beto.  Collier is  saying the same.   They don't seem to be too worried about him being a two time loser and all the other baggage some are concerned about.   

I look forward to seeing more of Dowd, Johnson and Collier running.  That draws attention to the issues, the party, and shows that we have good people who can think, willing to serve as Texas Dems.   

Collier already has begun working to get more name recognition in the rural areas of the state.  They are under a strong red assault now.  And him announcing early and helping fight this crap will weigh in his favor for the rural vote.  It's just good to see good people standing up and offering alternatives to the fascists we have in Austin presently.  

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Collier already has begun working to get more name recognition in the rural areas of the state.  They are under a strong red assault now.  And him announcing early and helping fight this crap will weigh in his favor for the rural vote.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a waste of time?  Dems will pull a lot more votes spending time locking down the RGV than campaigning in every rural county in the state.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Sorry, forgot for a moment how fucking insignificant we are in the rural areas.    I was not saying the stump in every county.  But at least some presence.  The rural vote matters on statewide races and helps balance the gerrymandering.  This idea that rural doesn't count is partially responsible for what got us here today.  It's been a TDP unwritten mantra for several years now.  Beto woke up a lot of rural vote in 18 with his barnstorming.  But anyway.  

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Am I the only one who thinks this is a waste of time?  Dems will pull a lot more votes spending time locking down the RGV than campaigning in every rural county in the state.  

No, you're not  He's wasting time and resources to get 10 or 15% of their votes.  Until the Dems have a shot at pulling 30% or more in those areas, it's pointless.

Edited by kevwun

The Republicans and Independents that can be swayed against Patrick aren't in rural areas as y'all note.  They are in suburbs and the Valley.  The ones that saw what their neighbors did in 2020, they may emulate in 2022.  Let's help them.  

It's a statewide race where every vote matters and folks are talking about ignoring whole swaths of Texas? That seems fucking stupid. Every vote counts. I could just as easily argue that they should skip big cities because they're already blue. Stupid idea. Especially when the only plan for success is literally to peel off voters from the existing red voter block. But don't go where the red voters are? Come on. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

The Republicans and Independents that can be swayed against Patrick aren't in rural areas as y'all note.  They are in suburbs and the Valley.  The ones that saw what their neighbors did in 2020, they may emulate in 2022.  Let's help them.  

You are right.  We aren't trying to persuade anyone.  We are right now in a battle to keep them voting.   But this attitude that they aren't worth any effort is harmful.  And now in days of Zoom it's not that hard to at least be somewhat of a presence.   

I'm also thrilled to report to Lobo that someone posted his boy's announcement on a page I follow. The chronicle comments were all "Fuck him Bush" and the page where the article posted said Collier barely lost last time to Patrick and has a decent shot, Dowd should not be a pussy and challenge Abbot. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm also thrilled to report to Lobo that someone posted his boy's announcement on a page I follow. The chronicle comments were all "Fuck him Bush" and the page where the article posted said Collier barely lost last time to Patrick and has a decent shot, Dowd should not be a pussy and challenge Abbot. 

Wilco Dems FB page was pretty similar. Lots of "Former republican, I'll stick with Collier". I did point out that Collier was ALSO a former Republican. 

• Haha 2

I think Collier's running a decent campaign so far.  I don't usually follow Gov/Lt. Gov races on the D side because it never ends well.  But I really think somebody has a chance to usurp Dan Patrick.  My question remains though---what are the actual chances Johnson throws in for this race?  Formally?  

6 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Por que no los dos? The 50 state strategy works. 
The whole model for what you’re advocating is the democratic congressional strategy 1993-2004. Competing everywhere under Howard Dean is how the Democrats took 60 senate seats nationally, how Obama beat Clinton, and also how Republicans took Texas.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

Right, why would Democrats campaign in (checks notes) the birthplace of American liberalism?

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Right, why would Democrats campaign in (checks notes) the birthplace of American liberalism?

Where is the birthplace of American liberalism?  Provo?

6 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

Sorry, forgot for a moment how fucking insignificant we are in the rural areas.    I was not saying the stump in every county.  But at least some presence.  The rural vote matters on statewide races and helps balance the gerrymandering.  This idea that rural doesn't count is partially responsible for what got us here today.  It's been a TDP unwritten mantra for several years now.  Beto woke up a lot of rural vote in 18 with his barnstorming.  But anyway.  

Beto spent in inordinate amount of time in rural Texas without being able to penetrate the Republican firewall:

https://www.dispatch.com/news/20181217/why-beto-orourke-brought-out-rural-republicans-who-defeated-his-texas-senate-bid

Wow.  I might as well dissolve into the sea of red around me, since my vote is a waste of time.  I mean seriously why the fuck should even that 10-15% even vote at all?  Fuck my feelings, right?

That is the prevailing spirit in red areas. self fulfilling really. Yall don't vote and are surprised more pols don't travel there to maybe gin up a couple votes

• 3 weeks later...

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick has paid his first voter fraud bounty. It went to an unexpected recipient

UQFFUTYC25D4XAXYVDIVSW2TFY.jpeg

Nearly a year after offering up a hefty bounty for evidence of voter fraud in the wake of Donald Trump’s loss, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick has handed out his first reward.

But instead of going to an informant who smoked out fraud by Democrats, Patrick’s five-figure payout went to a progressive poll worker in Pennsylvania whose tip led to a single conviction of illegal voting by a registered Republican.

The unexpected outcome reveals the political dangers of cash bounties. With few strings attached, and more cases of alleged GOP voting fraud still in Pennsylvania courts, Patrick may be asked to shell out even more cash to his opponents.

This case also undercuts unsubstantiated GOP concerns that widespread voter fraud helped hand the White House to Joe Biden, political experts said. In Pennsylvania, a state that was central in Trump’s attempts to overthrow the election, around five cases of voter fraud from last year’s election have been prosecuted, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer — four involved Republicans.

In an interview with The Dallas Morning News, tipster Eric Frank said he would have turned in anyone he saw voting illegally regardless of party. But as the scion of a family of Democratic operatives, he also acknowledged the irony of the situation.

This week, Frank deposited $25,000 of Patrick’s campaign cash into his bank account.

“It’s my belief that they were trying to get cases of Democrats doing voter fraud. And that just wasn’t the case,” Frank said. “This kind of blew up in their face.”

Patrick’s spokesman Allen Blakemore declined to comment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, RPM said:

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick has paid his first voter fraud bounty. It went to an unexpected recipient

UQFFUTYC25D4XAXYVDIVSW2TFY.jpeg

Nearly a year after offering up a hefty bounty for evidence of voter fraud in the wake of Donald Trump’s loss, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick has handed out his first reward.

But instead of going to an informant who smoked out fraud by Democrats, Patrick’s five-figure payout went to a progressive poll worker in Pennsylvania whose tip led to a single conviction of illegal voting by a registered Republican.

The unexpected outcome reveals the political dangers of cash bounties. With few strings attached, and more cases of alleged GOP voting fraud still in Pennsylvania courts, Patrick may be asked to shell out even more cash to his opponents.

This case also undercuts unsubstantiated GOP concerns that widespread voter fraud helped hand the White House to Joe Biden, political experts said. In Pennsylvania, a state that was central in Trump’s attempts to overthrow the election, around five cases of voter fraud from last year’s election have been prosecuted, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer — four involved Republicans.

In an interview with The Dallas Morning News, tipster Eric Frank said he would have turned in anyone he saw voting illegally regardless of party. But as the scion of a family of Democratic operatives, he also acknowledged the irony of the situation.

This week, Frank deposited $25,000 of Patrick’s campaign cash into his bank account.

“It’s my belief that they were trying to get cases of Democrats doing voter fraud. And that just wasn’t the case,” Frank said. “This kind of blew up in their face.”

Patrick’s spokesman Allen Blakemore declined to comment.

Fuck you, Lt. Dan

giphy.gif

On 9/30/2021 at 9:28 AM, Beau Vine said:

Actually, doing the rural rural areas gets Collier more name recognition amongst liberals and moderates in urban areas, as long as his travels among the rubes are publicized.

I didn't think Beto was going to get anywhere with the hayseeds, but his travels gave him some hardtack appeal -- to people who were predisposed.

Edited by tantric superman

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2021 at 8:55 AM, StassneyHorn said:

Matthew Dowd joining the Lt. Gov. race as a Democrat

On 9/29/2021 at 2:14 PM, Lobo said:

Well, he actually went through with it.  I thought he'd hang on the sidelines but Matthew Dowd has entered the race.  As a Democrat this time.  GOP is already worried and scrambling to defame him as a former conservative who sold out to the liberals.  Which is weird, because that doesn't really help you in a general.  Matt was a Republican operator in Texas years before Dan Patrick got fitted for his first pants suit and moved to Texas. 

And this board is gonna help Matt Dowd or you can wring your hands on the sidelines in defeat.  But you want in, you lemme know.  Just please don't fuck this up.  This is our state's best shot. Please.  You can play fantasyland next cycle.

On 9/29/2021 at 3:09 PM, Lobo said:

You know damn well your party will find a way to fuck this up.  I'm not saying he's got a great chance, but he has the best chance of anyone else out there.  Particularly since he can bring in moderate/sensible R's and independents.  Crack wise all you want about "there's no sensible Republicans in Texas anymore, they're all fascists in a race to the bottom" or whatever.  But nobody is winning without clearing 1/2-1mm Republicans as a Democrat.  And nobody is doing that except Dowd.  Only thing that'll fuck him is some unusual mid-term hardcore-MAGA turnout or a bunch of Democrats just skipping over his toxic name to move on to their Congressional and Mayoral races of choice in the urban/suburban areas.  

Yeah, about Dowd.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas-politics/democrat-matthew-dowd-ends-campaign-for-texas-lieutenant-governor/

Matthew Dowd, a former George W. Bush political strategist who had launched a bid to be the Democratic nominee for lieutenant governor in 2022, ended his campaign Tuesday, six days before the candidate filing deadline.

In a statement, Dowd, who is white, said he was dropping out of the race to make way for a more diverse field of candidates.

“When I first announced, the only other candidate was a white male Christian,” Dowd said, referring to fellow Democratic candidate Mike Collier. “A diverse field is now emerging in the Democratic primary for this office. I do not want to be the one who stands in the way of the greater diversity we need in politics.”

Dowd, who had been campaigning across the state, had started his campaign as a top primary challenger to Collier, who came within 5 percentage points of unseating Republican incumbent Dan Patrick in 2018. His plan was to win over the Democratic base and convince them and the rest of Texas voters he could pull in enough Republican and independent voters to beat Patrick.

But Collier had beaten Dowd in early fundraising and had also recently rolled out a slew of Democratic endorsements to try to secure his position as the leading Democratic candidate. Dowd had initially beat Collier in fundraising, raising $373,000 in his first few weeks. But Collier, who’s been in the race much longer, had collected nearly $1.3 million total as of mid-November.

• 4 weeks later...