Lieutenant gov. Dan Patrick

Voldemort86

12 hours ago, workswithseed said:

What's normal GOP and Christianity? 

Hmm, maybe you're just too young to remember what it was like before?

Let's start with today's GOP and Christianity being abnormal. Think opposite. Channel your inner Costanza.

And I understand the political bullshit, it comes in waves and this is a particularly bad wave, imo.

What I cannot countenance is the supposed religious imprimatur that Christianity (specifically evangelicals) offers to Trump and GOP policies. Look at Franklin Graham to see the blatant hypocrisy. 

And I learned the commandment as "Thou shalt not kill". Not "Thou shalt not commit murder."

• Like 2

6 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Tell the men that goes out and defend a village from ISIS that they're murders.

I was halfway through composing a lengthy reply to this post when it struck me that this guy is barely literate and I was probably wasting my time. 

• Like 1

Goeb's shoulders are more narrow than his waist and I find that troublesome as a Texan.  I don't want to disparage any men out there who also have geriatric old lady bodies, but I think it's inappropriate for him to do campaign commercials with leather working gloves.  That's just deceptive.  It would be more transparent if he'd do an honest portrayal of himself and go ahead and hold a tube of Mentholatum salve while wearing white nursing shoes that provide relief for his failed arches and a black carpel tunnel wrist brace.  The people need transparency.  It would be courageous of him to just own and celebrate the Alice-from-Brady Bunch physique that the good Lord granted him.       

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

The commercial with him standing next to a 50s pickup was right in the Texas GOP voters wheelhouse. Yearning for yesteryear with a good ole boy who “gets it”. Just got done clearing some brush when the camera rolled up. Put an R next to his name and it’s game over. 

I wish MJ would run against him instead of Cornyn. Bad ass military vet vs a giant puss.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Asithappens said:

Hmm, maybe you're just too young to remember what it was like before?

Let's start with today's GOP and Christianity being abnormal. Think opposite. Channel your inner Costanza.

And I understand the political bullshit, it comes in waves and this is a particularly bad wave, imo.

What I cannot countenance is the supposed religious imprimatur that Christianity (specifically evangelicals) offers to Trump and GOP policies. Look at Franklin Graham to see the blatant hypocrisy. 

And I learned the commandment as "Thou shalt not kill". Not "Thou shalt not commit murder."

I never heard of Franklin Grahm, but im guessing he's racist and hates gays.

A lot us younger Christians are very libertarian on social issues other than abortion.

It is, but we also have to live in a secular state, and words have meaning. I have no problem David saying that Christians are killing other people in general, cause he's not wrong, but it wouldn't be murder.

23 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

A lot us younger Christians are very libertarian on social issues other than abortion.

It is, but we also have to live in a secular state, and words have meaning. I have no problem David saying that Christians are killing other people in general, cause he's not wrong, but it wouldn't be murder.

You realize that the ONLY reason it isn't murder is because it's legitimized by the state, right? 

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

You realize that the ONLY reason it isn't murder is because it's legitimized by the state, right? 

Are you still talking about the innocent people who get killed, or the people who shoot at our soldiers?

Edited by workswithseed

3 hours ago, workswithseed said:

1. Franklin is Billy's son. Franklin is no Billy, that's for sure.

2. I guess a Christian can be anything they want, but to me, a Christian sure as hell isn't going to be libertarian. Unless their religion has completely removed the teachings of this dude called Jesus. Jesus called on us to help others, not to go on some kind of Ayn Rand blitzkrieg. But I could be wrong.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

2. I guess a Christian can be anything they want, but to me, a Christian sure as hell isn't going to be libertarian. Unless their religion has completely removed the teachings of this dude called Jesus. Jesus called on us to help others, not to go on some kind of Ayn Rand blitzkrieg. But I could be wrong.

Some folks feel that while they personally are called to help others as Christians, that does not mean they should force others who believe differently to do so through the government. Taking something from another person is still theft even if you intend to give it to the poor. Doing so by means of governmental threat is no different in their eyes. It's basically another form of legislating morality, which plenty of people rightfully bag on some christians for.

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn

5 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Some folks feel that while they personally are called to help others as Christians, that does not mean they should force others who believe differently to do so through the government. Taking something from another person is still theft even if you intend to give it to the poor. Doing so by means of governmental threat is no different in their eyes. It's basically another form of legislating morality, which plenty of people rightfully bag on some christians for.

What a load of horseshit.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

I mean in terms like gay marriage, trans rights, and gambling. I'm not saying money wise. It would be cool though to see an Ayn Rand blitzkrieg.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asithappens said:

You are wrong in that you conflate Ayn Rand's objectivism with libertarianism. They are not the same.

I would agree that Ayn Rand's Objectivism is antithetical to Christianity.

1. Objectivism requires atheism. You can't really be a Christian when you are married to a philosophy that mandates atheism.

2. Selfishness is not a virtue to be celebrated by Christians. This is in direct opposition to the teachings of Christ.

3. Leveyan Satanism was a mishmash of Objectivism from when Levey was a student of Rand. That should be a sign that it's not compatible with Christianity

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

No self-defense is not murder. 

When was the last time the United States was involved in a defensive war?

Would you consider Korea a defense for someone else?

I would like to get out of the middle east as well. 

Edited by workswithseed

I agree.
I mean, being a Christian still requires some kind of adherence to the teachings of Christ.

Well then preach it brother... tell me about the hate in Jesus’ eyes for the queer, gays and trans. I’m all ears.
  • Like 1

I can't tell which Texans are the more closeted cock-lovers, Dan Patrick's staff or his voters.  

Guys seriously...take it down a notch.  We get your agenda.  But your ball-gargling passion is coming across a little too thick...

On 4/29/2019 at 5:55 AM, Asithappens said:

The commandments are probably the most misunderstood passage in Judeo-Christian mythology, yet here we are witnessing someone in 2019 trying to use that one as what appears to be a blanket justification for war.

9 hours ago, F250 said:

e53d7f8067067a51029cde8260094ff5867b10ab

He happens to be correct in that assessment. If Ayn Rand had anything meaningful to contribute, we would have read about it already.

Edited by hpslugga

14 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

He happens to be correct in that assessment. If Ayn Rand had anything meaningful to contribute, we would have read about it already.

John Galt had some good things to say. The problem is that finding a conservative fan of Ayn Rand who actually follows the teachings of Galt is harder than finding a conservative Christian who actually follows the teachings of Jesus. 

• Like 1