What's your tip for killing fleas?

We've never had a flea problem in the 13 years we've lived at our home until the in-laws brought their flea bag over and now I can't get rid of them.  Inside we don't have an issue, but my dogs pick them up every time they set foot in the backyard.  I've tried some yard sprays you can get at Home Depot, but those don't work at all.  We've given the dogs some pills, but those only work for a few days and then they're covered again.  My lab must be allergic because she's taking her hair off trying to get to these things.  There's got to be some fertilizer or better spray for the yard and better pills for the dogs.  Looking to see that y'all do before the vet empties my bank account with whatever they recommend. 

You got to treat aggressive and hit them on all fronts at the same time - the yard, the dogs, and inside. They hide in the carpets so also try using flea and tick carpet powder and vacuum it up every other day until they’re gone. Flea baths will kill what’s on the dogs immediately then we put Soresto flea collars on the dogs. Never really had success with yard sprays, but the granules like Triazicide worked.

• 3 years later...
Started to have this issue.  We've got a rental house in Austin with a very small pier and beam space below the house.  Too small to crawl into.  anyone ever used bug bombs or anything else under a house?

I do it at our cabin every couple years. As long as everything except your throwing hole are sealed up relatively well it should work. Then stand by with a shotgun incase you have larger guests that you weren’t aware of.