Getting old sucks

Hate

8 hours ago, Not a cat said:

You know what makes me feel old and exhausted? The mere thought of having kids aged 32, 15 and 13. 

25, 22, and 19. Where did the time go?  Dad’s 87, mostly through Alzheimer’s. I’m closer to his age and condition than I am my 19-yo son’s. 

9 hours ago, bmbmd said:

Here's the worst though.  I'm sixty six, still working, still running ten (or twelve) minute miles as long as I want.  Good health, good shape. Happily married for forty-three years to the nicest, cutest, sweetest woman I know. Four kids, four grandkids.  My wife, though,  has developed some chronic diseases, is in a lot of pain, and is not going to be able to enjoy the retirement we wanted.  No travel, no art (she's a pretty darn good potter and welder.  Her degree was in metal sculpture). She will still be able to stay with grandkids some, which is of course her true passion.  She is retiring this May and that will be hugely helpful.  Our immediate future is retirement to the old homestead, gardening, maybe a little fishing.  That's fine-we'll make the best of it.  There's no place I'd rather be.  I just hate seeing this strong, brilliant, beautiful, passionate woman in pain.  

I just got back from checking on things with my parents. Dad is 87 and mostly through his Alzheimer’s journey. Mom is 80 and taking care of him.

The love they have for each other is pure and powerful, and demonstrated in every kind word and gesture. Over the last week I’ve really been meditating on my mom’s fear of losing him after 60+ years, and my in laws that went through a similar journey 10 years ago, and about my own 29-year marriage to a wonderful woman.

During that time, the Jason Isbell song “If We Were Vampires” has really been haunting me. So sweet. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, nnm said:

I just got back from checking on things with my parents. Dad is 87 and mostly through his Alzheimer’s journey. Mom is 80 and taking care of him.

The love they have for each other is pure and powerful, and demonstrated in every kind word and gesture. Over the last week I’ve really been meditating on my mom’s fear of losing him after 60+ years, and my in laws that went through a similar journey 10 years ago, and about my own 29-year marriage to a wonderful woman.

During that time, the Jason Isbell song “If We Were Vampires” has really been haunting me. So sweet. 

Thanks for the song, it really hits close to home. My folks had 60 years together but Mom didn't know any of us for the last 10. Dad hid her failing mind from us for as long as he could and took care of her at home for 10 years before she had to go to a home. His devotion to her was remarkable and a constant lesson for me and my kids. My situation is a lot like @bmbmd. Rheumatoid arthritis has stolen my wife's ability to use her hands for many things but we will make the most of it. We have 48 years and I hope with all my heart that I'm the one that goes first.

• Like 5

Here's the worst though.  I'm sixty six, still working, still running ten (or twelve) minute miles as long as I want.  Good health, good shape. Happily married for forty-three years to the nicest, cutest, sweetest woman I know. Four kids, four grandkids.  My wife, though,  has developed some chronic diseases, is in a lot of pain, and is not going to be able to enjoy the retirement we wanted.  No travel, no art (she's a pretty darn good potter and welder.  Her degree was in metal sculpture). She will still be able to stay with grandkids some, which is of course her true passion.  She is retiring this May and that will be hugely helpful.  Our immediate future is retirement to the old homestead, gardening, maybe a little fishing.  That's fine-we'll make the best of it.  There's no place I'd rather be.  I just hate seeing this strong, brilliant, beautiful, passionate woman in pain.  

That is a tough story. But good on you man. You’ve had a lot of time with someone awesome, and it sounds like it will continue, just maybe a bit different. Not every one gets that.
  • Like 2

Went for my second colonoscopy this morning.  Five years after the last one because I didn’t achieve a good clean viewing area last time, although they didn’t find anything.  For whatever reason, the prep doesn’t seem to work right for me.  Those of you that have done it know that the prep sucks.  It didn’t work well again, so for my trouble I get to do it again, but this time with the remedial two-day prep.  I’ll see myself to the Shart thread. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, markstanco said:

I think I would rather a sitting in the August sun for 5 hours baseball bat shoved up my ass without lube than a cat scan. Those tubes freak me out.

The first time i had an MRI I could hear the tech asking the doctor if I was going to pull myself out of the tube. The second one was an open MRI but the nurse had to come hold my hand to keep me from coming out. For the last one I took valium for two days before the scan. That's the only way I could do it and my head wasn't even fully in the tube. Screw those. If I ever have to get a brain scan they're going to have to sedate me.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 3/18/2021 at 7:40 PM, CycleTex87 said:

Went for my second colonoscopy this morning.  Five years after the last one because I didn’t achieve a good clean viewing area last time, although they didn’t find anything.  For whatever reason, the prep doesn’t seem to work right for me.  Those of you that have done it know that the prep sucks.  It didn’t work well again, so for my trouble I get to do it again, but this time with the remedial two-day prep.  I’ll see myself to the Shart thread. 

I just had my second one last week. I had to take that shart inducing liquid at 5 & 10 PM. Who in the hell thought it was a good idea sharting till 2 AM? 

I was playing a little basketball the other day with my son.  I wasn't playing hard because the ground was wet and I was wearing flip flops.  We had the rim lowered to 8 feet because he likes to jump and touch the rim.  He asked me if I could still dunk and I was all "of course I can".  That was stupid.  I did dunk, but now both of my heels have been killing me for the last 3 days.  I don't think anything is torn or broken as there is no swelling, but goddamn I am moving like an 80 year old man now.  This sucks.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Crapinon said:

The first time i had an MRI I could hear the tech asking the doctor if I was going to pull myself out of the tube. The second one was an open MRI but the nurse had to come hold my hand to keep me from coming out. For the last one I took valium for two days before the scan. That's the only way I could do it and my head wasn't even fully in the tube. Screw those. If I ever have to get a brain scan they're going to have to sedate me.

Damn, even an open one freaked you out?  I've finally found a bigger claustrophobe than I am, and that's saying something.  I did an open one for a heart calcification scan and that was bearable, but a full on closed MRI would require full sedation. 

I find them very soothing and I always fall asleep during both cat scans and MRIs
Crazy. Hate them. Last may on my shoulder I had to shift at a 45 angle. Jammed in the corner I guess.

I have nightmares maybe once a year of falling in a pipe and slowly drowning with rising water. My arms are at my side and I can't do anything about it.

13 hours ago, Crapinon said:

I just had my second one last week. I had to take that shart inducing liquid at 5 & 10 PM. Who in the hell thought it was a good idea sharting till 2 AM? 

I did the same.  For me, nothing really even happened until about 9:30 or so.  And yep, up til 2:30 am trying to get clear, and never really happened.

On 3/12/2021 at 4:34 PM, Jiggy-Z said:

Both of my youngest sons (13 and 15) rock climb competitively.  Lets just say there is a big difference between a highly trained teenager weighing 100-120 lbs and a 54 year old man weighing 200lbs.

I started climbing again after knee surgery about 6 weeks ago and promptly got climbers elbow (golfers elbow) in both arms, a shoulder impingement and some as of yet diagnosed wrist injury.  Taking a break while I reconsider my life.  Knee is great, though.

Oldest son (32) likes to play music and get drunk (New Orleans).  He is much funner to hang out with and I can keep up with him on the booze.  What can I say, I'm a natural.

You are an old man trying to play young people games. Stop doing that. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Not a cat said:

Damn, even an open one freaked you out?  I've finally found a bigger claustrophobe than I am, and that's saying something.  I did an open one for a heart calcification scan and that was bearable, but a full on closed MRI would require full sedation. 

I was having a shoulder done for a torn rotator cuff so my face was inches away from the machine. I don't know why. I never had that problem before. But yeah I have it pretty bad. Last time I tried to get ready for having one, I just listened to an MRI loop off Youtube. Even the sound creeps me out a little. But yay for valium! After 4 doses of it over two day, I just went to sleep in it.

On 3/12/2021 at 8:07 AM, mininghorn88 said:

Thanks, I will take my chances.  Though it is no guarantee against the potential injury I do stretch a lot.

On 3/12/2021 at 6:39 AM, Lat22 said:

You're going to pop your Achilles.  It's not if, it's when.

Lat22, you put a hex/jinx on me.  I have not torn my Achilles but it is feeling a little wonky the last week or so.  So, thanks!!!! lol  Will continue to stretch and take a couple of days off to give it a break.

Sorry about that.  We used to go to the old Concord Athletic Club in San Antonio and watch the pickup basketball games.  You could always count on a former Spur or two playing.  You could also count on an older white guy popping his Achilles.

• Like 2

Sorry about that.  We used to go to the old Concord Athletic Club in San Antonio and watch the pickup basketball games.  You could always count on a former Spur or two playing.  You could also count on an older white guy popping his Achilles.

I played there all the time when I was in high school. I played with Johnny Moore, Mike Mitchell, RC Buford (Spurs GM) and then Spurs coach Bob Weiss. It was a blast.

On 3/17/2021 at 5:57 AM, nnm said:

That one and Glen Campbell's "I'm Not Gonna Miss You" are real string tuggers.  

• Like 1

On 3/19/2021 at 8:41 PM, Crapinon said:

Lol.  I had an MRI on my knee a few years ago.  I was so worried about the metal in both knees being yanked out by the magnets that I completely forgot about my wedding ring.  As soon as the machine started, my ring finger started vibrating.  I yelled like a 3 year-old little girl for them to turn the machine off.  Turns out the ring was ok.  It just vibrated every once in awhile.

• Haha 2

At some point in the last six months, I could no longer take any kind of OTC drugs, vitamins, supplements, or prescription medications on an empty stomach. Up until then, I never got the slightest bit of stomach upset or irritation from taking stuff on an empty stomach, and now I get noticeably queasy if I take anything without food.

I've seen a few things like this, where conventional wisdom didn't apply to me until all of the sudden it did.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

At some point in the last six months, I could no longer take any kind of OTC drugs, vitamins, supplements, or prescription medications on an empty stomach. Up until then, I never got the slightest bit of stomach upset or irritation from taking stuff on an empty stomach, and now I get noticeably queasy if I take anything without food.

I've seen a few things like this, where conventional wisdom didn't apply to me until all of the sudden it did.

That sucks. I went from drinking vinegar in the middle of the night to my current state which requires me to take an antacid before I eat anything remotely spicy.

23 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Y’all with stomach acid issues need to get that shit under control. Look up Barrett’s Esophagus. Not pretty. Took my dad way too early.

Same.  My dad passed at 60 from esophageal cancer which likely started with undiagnosed Barrett's Esophagus.  He ate Rolaids like candy to deal with heartburn. 

22 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Oh, and perhaps not age related, but I'm home with an infected leg.  Slide tackle in last Sunday's game took skin off from my knee to halfway down my shin.  It looked cool, but I've been paying for it ever since.

I've heard of some nasty staph infections picked up on sports fields - usually turf.  Get it checked by a doctor if it isn't healing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I've heard of some nasty staph infections picked up on sports fields - usually turf.  Get it checked by a doctor if it isn't healing.

I did.  I'm on two antibiotics and some anti-inflammatories.  The worst part, at this time, is when I stand up.  All the blood rushes to the wound and throbs pretty badly.

On 3/24/2021 at 7:13 AM, Hate said:

I played there all the time when I was in high school. I played with Johnny Moore, Mike Mitchell, RC Buford (Spurs GM) and then Spurs coach Bob Weiss. It was a blast.

Dang referring to it as the "old Concord Athletic Club" made me feel ancient.  I did the foundation piers for that and it seems like yesterday.

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I did.  I'm on two antibiotics and some anti-inflammatories.  The worst part, at this time, is when I stand up.  All the blood rushes to the wound and throbs pretty badly.

Question for you infection types.  Might be silly but here goes.  Do you think some people are more prone to staph infections than others.  In high school we had one guy on the football team that fought staph infections at least once a year all four years of high school.  I can't remember any other of my teammates ever having it.

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Question for you infection types.  Might be silly but here goes.  Do you think some people are more prone to staph infections than others.  In high school we had one guy on the football team that fought staph infections at least once a year all four years of high school.  I can't remember any other of my teammates ever having it.

This is the first time I've had an infection related to sports - and I've had multitudes of scrapes and injuries.  I may be less prone because I practically grew up in the dirt.  Let's just say my home enviro wasn't exactly DHS compliant.