Getting old sucks

Hate

16 hours ago, troph said:

Still trying to figure out chest pain but current thinking is it might be a rare Pfizer vaccine side effect - pericarditis - inflammation of the outer lining / sack of the heart. Going to see a cardiologist who is writing a paper on what he’s seeing. He’s seen this a handful of times in the last couple of weeks. It’s a known moderna rare side effect.

Sounds bad, feels awful, huge distraction, hard time focusing, I’m exhausted, but they are telling me to avoid exercise and it will resolve in a week or two. If the cause was a real infection they would be very worried. They want to confirm but that’s the most concrete answer I’ve had.

So I feel like I’m having a heart attack all the time but nothing is wrong.

15 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Get well Troph, is that the same issue that the B1G was worried about with the athletes?

Dittos on the get well part. I think B1G was worried about it from COVID, not the vaccine, but bad side effect.

Or it takes 1-2 hours to wake up. I’ve decided I won’t make any judgments about my life or health until 9am on any given day.  I must wait until 2 cups of coffee and then I can start the doom and gloom. If I don’t wait the walk down the stairs to the coffee pot is one of misery and panic about how fast things are going downhill. I have a similar rule for after 9pm too.  My brain just doesn’t work early or late anymore.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

I'm on a Facebook page for my old high school class. 

Getting so fukkin sick of people posting memes with shit like, "You'll never be as cool as we were." 

145054925_2962070034013141_3253147525309

Mudgrips on a Mustang?

54 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

We had either flattops or duck tails, drove 1940s-1950s heaps, and listened to Elvis & Bill Haley.

But we did bang your moms & grandmas.

Confession: I do think the girls that went to school when I did were mostly better looking than the girls in school today. They fixed their hair and wore nice clothes. Today, not so much. Mini skirts were the reason I nearly flunked a couple of courses. There was a girl named Linda, had the best legs I've ever seen, sat across the aisle from me. Don't get me started on Anna, either. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RPM said:

Mudgrips on a Mustang?

My first vehicle was a 63 Chevy pickup like this, except with 200,000 miles and beat to hell. Had a straight six and a three on the tree. When the engine died, my dad put a 327 from a wrecked Camaro in in. Screaming beast to fifty, cause those old Chevys didn't have a high gear, but damn, off the line...

Supposedly I helped him put the engine in, but he knew everything, I didn't know dick, so I mostly handed him tools or put in bolts after he told me where to put them. 

used-1964-chevrolet-c10-shortbed-8031-19

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

My first vehicle was a 63 Chevy pickup like this, except with 200,000 miles and beat to hell. Had a straight six and a three on the tree. When the engine died, my dad put a 327 from a wrecked Camaro in in. Screaming beast to fifty, cause those old Chevys didn't have a high gear, but damn, off the line...

Supposedly I helped him put the engine in, but he knew everything, I didn't know dick, so I mostly handed him tools or put in bolts after he told me where to put them. 

I had a 63 just like that (except beat all to hell and mismatched door). Paid an old farmer's widow $500 for it. Straight 6, 3 on the tree, 260 a/c. It was green. and brown. and tan.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

My dad had this truck albeit green and white back in the late-70's.  It was the truck that I learned to drive in the hayfield when I was around 11 or 12 hauling hay (square bales).  I would love to have that truck today.

• Hook 'Em 3

My first vehicle was a 63 Chevy pickup like this, except with 200,000 miles and beat to hell. Had a straight six and a three on the tree.

Substitute a white '65 Ford F100 like the one pictured below and my first truck experience was similar. Straight six, three-on-the-tree manual, floor dimmer, pull choke and "Twin I-Beam" front suspension. I hated the thing. Looking back, I don't know wtf was wrong with me.

1965-f100.jpg

1965-f100-interior.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Substitute a white '65 Ford F100 like the one pictured below and my first truck experience was similar. Straight six, three-on-the-tree manual, floor dimmer, pull choke and "Twin I-Beam" front suspension. I hated the thing. Looking back, I don't know wtf was wrong with me.

1965-f100.jpg

1965-f100-interior.jpg

Bunch of sweet rides on this page

• Like 1

tMjKVsByU2zulDB6LV6QT7TchZ-dM6BHqJu5zkA4

This is about as close as I can find to my first truck, which was my Granddad's last truck. 1968 F100, 240ci straight 6, 4 speed (Granny), no radio, no a/c, no nothing with 20 gallons of gasoline sloshing around behind the seat inside the cab. If that wasn't bad enough, Granddad bought one that was Sunburst yellow and had the spare tire mounted on the driver side step so it stuck up in the air. He thought it would be easier to take off that way.

Yeah, I snagged plenty of tail in that ride.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

1965-f100.jpg

1965-f100-interior.jpg

You were a teenage kid, and peer pressure means a lot. Trucks in the 1960/70s were work vehicles. The "cool kids" had Mustangs, Camaros, and Chargers. I think I had the only truck in my school parking lot. 

As to how much perceptions change, in the old Don Knotts movie, the Reluctant Astronaut, to show how much of an oddball he was, he drove a Willy's Jeep. Today, in small town Texas, every hot girl wants a jeep. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RPM said:

tMjKVsByU2zulDB6LV6QT7TchZ-dM6BHqJu5zkA4

This is about as close as I can find to my first truck, which was my Granddad's last truck. 1968 F100, 240ci straight 6, 4 speed (Granny), no radio, no a/c, no nothing with 20 gallons of gasoline sloshing around behind the seat inside the cab. If that wasn't bad enough, Granddad bought one that was Sunburst yellow and had the spare tire mounted on the driver side step so it stuck up in the air. He thought it would be easier to take off that way.

Yeah, I snagged plenty of tail in that ride.

This was my first truck too except mine was a Fleetside and was baby blue with white "wagon wheel" rims.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, mininghorn88 said:

This was my first truck too except mine was a Fleetside and was baby blue with white "wagon wheel" rims.

You had a cool truck. I had the geek farm truck version. On the bright side you couldn't kill that truck if you tried and I did multiple times.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

You were a teenage kid, and peer pressure means a lot. Trucks in the 1960/70s were work vehicles. The "cool kids" had Mustangs, Camaros, and Chargers. I think I had the only truck in my school parking lot.

You are 100 percent right. I definitely wanted something "cooler," but 30 years later, I'd kill to have it back and grin ear to ear just putt-putting around town in it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

You are 100 percent right. I definitely wanted something "cooler," but 30 years later, I'd kill to have it back and grin ear to ear just putt-putting around town in it.

As mentioned above my dad had a 63 Chevy Pickup when I was in middle school and junior high.  When I was in elementary school he had a 56 Ford Pickup.  Both were his everyday drive around trucks.  I certainly did not appreciate them then because they were old and out of style.  Would love to have either one or both of them now.

My 68 Ford is still around.  I ended up giving it to my brother years ago.  He repainted it, dropped a 302 in it and converted it to a floor shift and took it to the drag strip occasionally. My son (26yrs old) now wants the 68 Ford.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

You were a teenage kid, and peer pressure means a lot. Trucks in the 1960/70s were work vehicles. The "cool kids" had Mustangs, Camaros, and Chargers. 

My other son’s new ‘86 Firebird - His grandma bought it for his high school graduation.

(My work car at the time was a 1964 Rambler with a busted out driver side window and a 10” diameter hole in the front passenger floorboard - kids called it Dad’s Flintstone car)

B1FFA917-6382-48F4-8E34-6530E08CEC99.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I learned how to drive in this sweet machine. 68 Dodge stepside, straight 6, 3 on the tree. No A/C, no radio, no nothing. 
tmpZaZkmjGkz2kinX0FZ55nUgMW6mSLjXtSsx3Fm

That’s almost exactly what it looked like, except that the white paint was no longer white. Kind of a paler, washed out white. 
It had a wooden bed. At some point I replaced it. That was a beast. And we overhauled the engine and replaced the tranny with a 4 on the floor (granny). I drove it around the farm and into town for a few years around high school, and kept it for about 10 years after I got out of law school. Finally let it go when we moved to Texas. It’s probably still puttering around northern NM. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

First car I had that I loved. Got it during my mid life crisis. Wife was not amused. 

1985-chevrolet-corvette-coupe

Tell. Me. It. Was. Not. A. 305.

(cause I embarrassed one of those with an '84 Shelby Charger 2.2)

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Username checks out.

To be completely fair, it was my wife that did it. That's how shitty those 305 Vettes were.

It was a badass ride and SCCA race qualified. Balanced and blueprinted, natural aspirated. Unfortunately, I chose to cut down an oak tree with it after work one Friday night.

Reasonable facsimile.

83dodge78678-3.jpg

Spoiler

Saw 170 on a test run and had plenty of pedal left.

Edited by RPM

9 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

My first car (same year, model, color):

spacer.png

No offense,

But we used to buy old VWs, cut the body (and passenger seats) off and go off-roading. Things get real plowing thru the woods in 3rd gear with the gas tank in your face.

1 minute ago, RPM said:

No offense,

But we used to buy old VWs, cut the body (and passenger seats) off and go off-roading. Things get real plowing thru the woods in 3rd gear with the gas tank in your face.

That car was awesome.  Got it handed down (I was the 4th to have it) with 186K miles (on 86K on the odometer as it only went up to 99,999).  I could start that thing no matter what if I had 15 feet of room to get her going.  Mid-80's SoCal, the Beetle was as commonplace as the Civic or Corolla today.

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

That car was awesome.  Got it handed down (I was the 4th to have it) with 186K miles (on 86K on the odometer as it only went up to 99,999).  I could start that thing no matter what if I had 15 feet of room to get her going.  Mid-80's SoCal, the Beetle was as commonplace as the Civic or Corolla today.

Don't underestimate Nazi engineering.

vw-floating-article.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Tell. Me. It. Was. Not. A. 305.

(cause I embarrassed one of those with an '84 Shelby Charger 2.2)

I think it was, but I was past racing by the time I got it. My brother and I got in it one night, took the top off, and cruised about 250 miles through back roads, Texas. Just talking and enjoying the Texas summer night. Getting that car was like getting a date with the high school prom queen twenty years later, and finding out she's still 18. 

11 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

I'm on a Facebook page for my old high school class. 

Getting so fukkin sick of people posting memes with shit like, "You'll never be as cool as we were." 

145054925_2962070034013141_3253147525309

I’ve been on a Guns N’ Roses kick lately. Best music hell uh hell yah know hell, fucking hell I’m getting old.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

My brother bought his first Beetle new in 1959. All the others were used.
By the time his youngest of four kids was old enough to drive, brother’s family was running 5 Beetles and a Karmann Ghia. Over the years he had several other Peoples’ Cars.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

First car I bought myself:

spacer.png

which was great as I was early 20's and drinking heavily/regularly, so I rarely had to drive with a 2 seater.

This is the first car I bought myself. 1983 Mustang. Poop brown, 2.3L 4cyl., 4 speed. That baby cranked out a massive 88 hp. 

That’s right, 88.

Not 188.

Had it all the way through college and law school. 2/60 AC, and remember I went to college in Texas, where real AC was kind of a requirement, even in the 1980s. But I bought it in northern NM, where I didn’t need it. 

0-1.jpg

• Haha 1