Getting old sucks

Hate

It would have been nice if getting old would have been a slow build up instead of one year you’re mostly great and the next year everything falls apart. Hope this year is an improvement over partially torn ligaments in my knee from something simple, ongoing back issues from trying to power though a slow pull on a wake skate, hand/elbow surgery from years of water sports, foot/ankle issues that are now there because of not getting the knee fixed, etc. That doesn’t even count the fact I can’t see anything up close at this point.

I can’t wait to see what my 44th birthday and 2022 has in store.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

Yeah, for me, tramadol is a sugar pill. 

Tramadol did nothing for me.

Yeah basically this.

I know opioids are bad news for many, many people, but the way they are regulating it hurts a lot of people. In order to get a refill, my first in more than a year, I have to physically go see the doctor. Then she will likely write a script for 45 pills, but insurance will refuse to pay for them because they are opioids. So I will have to pay out of pocket. I guess those are first world problems or some such shit. I wish partaking in cannabis wouldn’t put me at risk of losing my job. I just want to sleep through the night and not wake up with a sciatica flare up.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Yeah basically this.

I know opioids are bad news for many, many people, but the way they are regulating it hurts a lot of people. In order to get a refill, my first in more than a year, I have to physically go see the doctor. Then she will likely write a script for 45 pills, but insurance will refuse to pay for them because they are opioids. So I will have to pay out of pocket. I guess those are first world problems or some such shit. I wish partaking in cannabis wouldn’t put me at risk of losing my job. I just want to sleep through the night and not wake up with a sciatica flare up.

Sorry, dude. I know the feeling. I don’t need the opiates very often, but when I do, I do, and a prescription for 10 of them is not going to do the trick. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I had fentanyl once, as I was given it for a migraines year's ago. That's the only and last time I've ever taken it. I was 6'3" 240lbs at the time and I swear I woke up asking why am I laying on the floor with a pillow in the living room. I don't remember shit. Never again, I knew then that this was way too much and could see how it hooked folks.

When I had rotator cuff surgery I tool Tylenol 4 and Tramadol, eventually relying on Tramadol when the Tylenol ran out. I can't handle opioids. They screw with my sleep pattern and I'll wake up seeing imaginary stuff dancing around the room. I understand Tramadol works more like a anti-depressant. It worked for me but I learned never quit cold turkey. I did and it was hell. Look up Tramadol Brain Zaps. I'm guessing it's my bodies way of telling me I need to return to the painkillers of my youth. Pot and whiskey   

On 1/8/2022 at 2:11 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Yeah basically this.

You need a new insurance company.... and a new doctor.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/8/2022 at 1:34 PM, Brew said:

It would have been nice if getting old would have been a slow build up instead of one year you’re mostly great and the next year everything falls apart. Hope this year is an improvement over partially torn ligaments in my knee from something simple, ongoing back issues from trying to power though a slow pull on a wake skate, hand/elbow surgery from years of water sports, foot/ankle issues that are now there because of not getting the knee fixed, etc. That doesn’t even count the fact I can’t see anything up close at this point.

I can’t wait to see what my 44th birthday and 2022 has in store.

Damn that must be a rough 44. Sorry dude.. hope 2022 works out better for you

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Am going to have to limit my participation on Surly, as it appears the macular degeneration is advancing to a level where I find it very difficult to read anything even with my 3x readers and a magnifying glass. Plus driving the car is getting problematic.

it has been quite an entertainment over the years though. 
Thank you Surly owners, moderators, and fellow assholes.

this shit won't stand. i say we take up a collection and hire you a sugar baby to read surly to you several times a week 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Two things...

1) One of the things I hate about getting older is just getting something started.  When I was younger, my ass couldn't sit still.  The "I'll get up in a bit" routine is very much ingrained in my line of thinking.  I think part of it is just the amount of mental and physical energy I expend as a teacher.  Ten years ago, that wouldn't have been an excuse.

2) I also coincidentally found out I needed glasses on my birthday two weeks ago.  I had no idea my eyesight was bad.  I was having problems reading the back of a vitamin bottle, put on a pair of readers, and was absolutely shocked at how bad my eyes had gotten.  

I've had a crick in my neck for about a week.  There's a knot about the size of my thumb where my neck joins my shoulder.  I can rub it and get the swelling down, which eases the pain, but it's back after about 30 minutes hurting like hell again.  Acetaminophen helps, but I am not going to take much.  I like my innards in good shape, thank you.

I've had a crick in my neck for about a week.  There's a knot about the size of my thumb where my neck joins my shoulder.  I can rub it and get the swelling down, which eases the pain, but it's back after about 30 minutes hurting like hell again.  Acetaminophen helps, but I am not going to take much.  I like my innards in good shape, thank you.

d234affc59a646c091c5e8bd62705231.gif
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Need to find a good massage therapist. I go every two weeks, and she's a goddess with hands that work magic. Last week she was working on a knot, and I came as close as I've ever come to telling her to stop. She brought tears to my eyes, but felt great after. 

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Need to find a good massage therapist. I go every two weeks, and she's a goddess with hands that work magic. Last week she was working on a knot, and I came as close as I've ever come to telling her to stop. She brought tears to my eyes, but felt great after. 

I've considered that, but it isn't helping right now.  I did feel something shift in my neck and shoulder, and it feels the best it has all day.  I may look for someone Monday.

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

And....

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

https://www.amazon.com/Body-Back-Trigger-Therapy-Massage/dp/B0006VJ6TO/ref=asc_df_B0006VJ6TO/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198076816763&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17271589549667347462&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027107&hvtargid=pla-378796880293&psc=1#

It works. Really, really well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The Clinic called Saturday with my A1C numbers from last weeks visit. I jumped from 6.1 to 8.7. The Holidays and all of the sweets really fucked me over.  All of it was my doing. The nurse suggested that I schedule an appointment to discuss medication options. I told her that I will try to cut the sweets out of my diet for the next 90 days and see how that works before I start chucking pills or getting shots. Shouldn't be that much of a challenge because I did a good job of it for the previous 15 years.

@Armybrat Sorry to hear about your eye issues. I hope you are able to figure out a way to continue participating. Good luck.

1 hour ago, nnm said:

You've been an awesome part of this community--one of my absolute favorites.  You have a great sense of humor, and take the jabs that are thrown at you in stride.  I have really enjoyed the community with you in it.  I do hope you're able to continue to stay engaged with others, in other ways.

Couldn't have said it better.

• Like 1

My back has been hurting (muscular) for quite awhile.  Chalk that up to the last 20 years in the roofin' bidness, I guess.

Over the last 4 or 5 weeks, I've asked the wife for a rub (no tug) & I get a "well have you done the stretches & taken a hot bath" thing.

Finally 2 days ago I responded with "Y'know, every time YOU ask for a massage, I simply say "yes" & 20 minutes later, you're feeling a bit better.  All you respond with is "what have you done?"

<insert rage emoticon here>

8 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

My back has been hurting (muscular) for quite awhile.  Chalk that up to the last 20 years in the roofin' bidness, I guess.

Over the last 4 or 5 weeks, I've asked the wife for a rub (no tug) & I get a "well have you done the stretches & taken a hot bath" thing.

Finally 2 days ago I responded with "Y'know, every time YOU ask for a massage, I simply say "yes" & 20 minutes later, you're feeling a bit better.  All you respond with is "what have you done?"

<insert rage emoticon here>

Did you really expect any other answer? I used to have the same issue.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 9:37 AM, Armybrat said:

Am going to have to limit my participation on Surly, as it appears the macular degeneration is advancing to a level where I find it very difficult to read anything even with my 3x readers and a magnifying glass. Plus driving the car is getting problematic.

Hit control and plus to zoom that shit to 400%

Sucks when an old guy leaves; it move me one step closer to the front of the line. 😞

• Like 2

Had a total knee replacement about 12 weeks ago.  Physical therapy went fine and I’m basically done and everything has been going well.  I stopped by The University on Saturday to take my senior daughter (no pics) to lunch.  We were walking along a shaded sidewalk where some ice chunks were falling off the roof over us. The ice chunks were melting on the sidewalk (I thought).  I slipped on a patch of ice and my new knee ended up collapsing where used to be I could catch myself and recover.  I fell right flat on my face.  My knee was over bent and stressed and hurts like hell.  I’ve never had the out of control falling experience before and it sucks. 

• Like 2

Broke my nose today playing basketball. Got head-butted under the goal. My nose is all crooked now. Not necessarily an “age” thing but I am getting too old to be dealing with crap like this.

I haven’t been hit that hard in forever. Slightly concussed as well. Got all lightheaded, tingly, and losT my color for a while.

Hey old fucks.  My cbd brand is up and going (3-4 months), shit is good. if anyone wants all natural topical pain relief - minor aches and pains, etc. we have two products, we also a couple of ingestibles that I use to tamp down work and kid stress or to help me stay in the moments I live for.  Both are new technology so less stereotypical delivery - not gummies or tinctures. Shoot me a DM and I’ll get you a coupon code along with a commitment to contribute to the wreath fund. I’ll also happily provide more info. If not interested no problem. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 2/5/2022 at 9:37 AM, Armybrat said:

AB, you may want to check out irisvision.com.  An aunt with macular degeneration is trying it and says that

the latest version (announced less than two weeks ago as available) has a built-in camera ( like in a cell phone)  that creates an image like is done for the Virtual Reality games - thus the wearer sees that.  [Aunt] used one of these gaming headsets recently and could see individual leaves and twigs clearly, so we have very high hopes for the Inspire device.  Her eye doctor has ordered it for her and we expect it in about a week.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, nnm said:

AB, you may want to check out irisvision.com.  An aunt with macular degeneration is trying it and says that

the latest version (announced less than two weeks ago as available) has a built-in camera ( like in a cell phone)  that creates an image like is done for the Virtual Reality games - thus the wearer sees that.  [Aunt] used one of these gaming headsets recently and could see individual leaves and twigs clearly, so we have very high hopes for the Inspire device.  Her eye doctor has ordered it for her and we expect it in about a week.

Thanks, I will certainly look into that device.

2 hours ago, Classic Rock said:

Not sure if this is an "old thing", but I'm mid 50's and I have heard this song 100's of times over the years. I listened to it the other day, and started thinking about all the people in my life, and now I can't hear it with out shedding a few tears.

User name does not check.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

tbone’s story was funnier.

I donated a section of my colon to science this morning. Time to recuperate and gtfo of this hospital bed. 3.7 megabit Internet speeds in a hospital should be illegal.

Get well soon.  Do you have to have a colostomy bag?