Getting old sucks

Hate

1 hour ago, Scheiss Meister said:

How the hell does my right hip still ache two days after picking dewberries?  There was a lot of bending and reaching, so it aching yesterday made sense.  Still aching today?  Fuck this shit.

We used to visit my grandparents in Southern Virginia when I was little and spent time at some lake property they owned. We'd pick dewberries and she'd make cobbler. So good.  I'm guessing many here don't even know what dewberries are. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I do yoga on a regular basis. Something for which Dime would have ridiculed me mercilessly. He probably had his own interesting ways of staying limber.

I know dudes laugh but I dgaf. I’m convinced it’s the best way to avoid lots of things I want to avoid if possible.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I do yoga on a regular basis. Something for which Dime would have ridiculed me mercilessly. He probably had his own interesting ways of staying limber.

I know dudes laugh but I dgaf. I’m convinced it’s the best way to avoid lots of things I want to avoid if possible.

I should give it a try. Haven’t stretched much since the last time I itemized my 1040A.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Because you don’t stretch regularly

I stretch for 10 to 15 minutes every morning, and a couple of stretches two or three times per day at my desk.  I'm pretty limber.  It's more likely the joint that I have tweeked a couple of times in my younger days.  It doesn't usually ache like this, but it has since the picking.  I'll be out picking again this afternoon, so maybe that will reverse it.  Who knows?  It could happen. 

3 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

We used to visit my grandparents in Southern Virginia when I was little and spent time at some lake property they owned. We'd pick dewberries and she'd make cobbler. So good.  I'm guessing many here don't even know what dewberries are. 

Dewberries are closely related to blackberries and make excellent cobbler and jam.  When I was a kid we picked them all the time at the ranch and mom made cobbler and jam.

1 hour ago, Crapinon said:

As long as your not like my BIL who will drone on and on about it for hours, going into the intricacies and superiority of the game, I think your safe.

most of shit I've seen on Youtube for PB is the most basic shit ever.  I can't believe people get anything from them.  If you've ever played tennis or racquetball you know all thi shit

6 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Dewberries are closely related to blackberries and make excellent cobbler and jam.  When I was a kid we picked them all the time at the ranch and mom made cobbler and jam.

We've got tons of dewberries on our property.  Yum

• Hook 'Em 1

Go ahead and bite the bullet and get progressives.  Don't let pride get in your way.

Wish it were that simple. I apparently have something called corneal ectasia and keratoconus likely caused by lasik back in the day. Basically it’s irregular astigmatism that can’t be corrected by glasses. Contacts only, and even they aren’t great.

• 2 weeks later...

Dammit, was carrying a 10' HD fiberglass A frame ladder back to the garage when I had a sudden pain like I had been stabbed in the left hip.  Immediately afterwards I could not bear any weight on that side for about 5 minutes. I can now, but it's still pretty tender. After doing some Googling it appears to be towards the top of the Iliotibial band(?) Anyone else experience like this?

Dammit, was carrying a 10' HD fiberglass A frame ladder back to the garage when I had a sudden pain like I had been stabbed in the left hip.  Immediately afterwards I could not bear any weight on that side for about 5 minutes. I can now, but it's still pretty tender. After doing some Googling it appears to be towards the top of the Iliotibial band(?) Anyone else experience like this?

IT band. Gotta bust it up with a foam roller.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Sounds a lot like the sciatica that I dealt with a couple of months ago. I agree with @tbone_, you should roll the heck out of your IT band, but if it turns into something that makes it agony to sit down or stand up, then go see your chiro. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/23/2022 at 2:24 PM, Not that Bob said:

While sitting to empty my bowels I generally empty my bladder as well. With the age related ball sag I often piss on my balls. It's both disconcerting and infuriating. 

Wait until you start sitting on your balls…

• Hook 'Em 2

My MIL had a wreck today. Head laceration, broken wrist, broken sternum, 3 broken ribs, unknown knee status, and broken ankle. She’s in ICU right now and will likely have surgery tomorrow. Yet another reason getting old sucks…taking care of parents. She claims some one rear ended her, but the fireman that was on the scene said there were no other vehicles involved. It’s likely she stepped on the gas pedal when she meant to hit the brakes. It looks like she’s going to be done with driving.

• Like 3

On 5/20/2022 at 9:04 PM, Hate said:

My MIL had a wreck today. Head laceration, broken wrist, broken sternum, 3 broken ribs, unknown knee status, and broken ankle. She’s in ICU right now and will likely have surgery tomorrow. Yet another reason getting old sucks…taking care of parents. She claims some one rear ended her, but the fireman that was on the scene said there were no other vehicles involved. It’s likely she stepped on the gas pedal when she meant to hit the brakes. It looks like she’s going to be done with driving.

So...if no other vehicles were involved, what the heck did she hit?

43 minutes ago, Hate said:

No idea. I hope to get the police report tomorrow so we can figure out what happened. I think she inadvertently stepped on the gas and lost control.

Just wondering,  that's a hell of a lot of injuries. T's & P's for a fast recovery. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Top Gun Maverick today for second time with family (all of us obviously loved it).  I'm about Cruise's age, and have been looking forward to this nostalgic event as a reminder of the simpler times of the '80s, and being young, strong and healthy.

There's a scene early in the movie where Cruise surreptitiously observes the young, hotshot pilots interacting at a bar.  The juxtaposition of Cruise today vs. the young Cruise of memory and these young pilots hit me square in the face that our time is past, and we really are the down slope of life.  Hit me pretty damn hard.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Wade said:

Saw Top Gun Maverick today for second time with family (all of us obviously loved it).  I'm about Cruise's age, and have been looking forward to this nostalgic event as a reminder of the simpler times of the '80s, and being young, strong and healthy.

There's a scene early in the movie where Cruise surreptitiously observes the young, hotshot pilots interacting at a bar.  The juxtaposition of Cruise today vs. the young Cruise of memory and these young pilots hit me square in the face that our time is past, and we really are the down slope of life.  Hit me pretty damn hard.

Yep.  Time stops for noone.  

6 hours ago, Wade said:

I recently commented to my wife that it's funny while out at a restaurant it's almost like we are invisible now. Watching the 20-somethings interact in a dimension where we don't even exist. Granted, it seems like most 20-somethings aren't aware of anything that isn't directly in front of them or on their phone.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Wade said:

Son?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Wade said:

I was out at a beach this weekend and these 4 college dudes pull up in their boat.  They look around and I overheard one of them say, "I thought there were supposed to be a bunch of girls here. This is just families and shit." That would have been me 25 years ago.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I was out at a beach this weekend and these 4 college dudes pull up in their boat.  They look around and I overheard one of them say, "I thought there were supposed to be a bunch of girls here. This is just families and shit." That would have been me 25 years ago.

And me 60 years ago.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Sigh.  San Marcos in my 30s, see what I am sure is a Texas State coed in a tshirt that says, "Will Fuck For Beer".  Hey sugar, want a beer?  No thank you, sir.  FML

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Neck started hurting a month ago. Got an x-ray, showed possible arthritis. Got an MRI, confirmed nerve and arthritis issues. Taking Gabapentin now. Had 3 chiro adjustments, still In pain, 42 years old.

Got 3 young kids. My body won’t hold up at this rate.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

Neck started hurting a month ago. Got an x-ray, showed possible arthritis. Got an MRI, confirmed nerve and arthritis issues. Taking Gabapentin now. Had 3 chiro adjustments, still In pain, 42 years old.

Got 3 young kids. My body won’t hold up at this rate.

I started having similar pain, haven gotten the MRI looked at yet (they suspect arthritis) but they did prednisolone packs for me. Helped. Also started me on physical therapy. Only had 4 sessions, but they do a combination of what I would call chiropractor adjustments, then stretches, then exercises. Already feel much better. Might try it

Eta - it is amazing how much flexibility I’ve lost and didn’t know it. One of the working stretches involves standing back flat against the wall, holding your arms out, 90 degree at elbow so your hands are pointing up, and the just bringing your hands together over your head. Young dude just hopped up against the wall and demonstrated, then hand me try it.  “No, sir, elbows against the wall.  Arms flat against the wall.”  Sorry, this is all I got.  “Really?” as he pushed my elbows toward the wall.  “wow.  we’re going to have to work on that. “

Edited by UT_OB1

40 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

In 2 months I’ll be 3 years older than my dad was when he passed.  I figure I’m already past my sell by date.

I'm already more than twice as old as my father when he died. 

I started having similar pain, haven gotten the MRI looked at yet (they suspect arthritis) but they did prednisolone packs for me. Helped. Also started me on physical therapy. Only had 4 sessions, but they do a combination of what I would call chiropractor adjustments, then stretches, then exercises. Already feel much better. Might try it

Eta - it is amazing how much flexibility I’ve lost and didn’t know it. One of the working stretches involves standing back flat against the wall, holding your arms out, 90 degree at elbow so your hands are pointing up, and the just bringing your hands together over your head. Young dude just hopped up against the wall and demonstrated, then hand me try it.  “No, sir, elbows against the wall.  Arms flat against the wall.”  Sorry, this is all I got.  “Really?” as he pushed my elbows toward the wall.  “wow.  we’re going to have to work on that. “

Yoga

20 hours ago, Wade said:

A couple of weeks ago a lifelong buddy of mine mother passed away.  She was in her early 80's.  I went to her funeral along with a few other childhood buddies that I grew up playing baseball with.  I had not seen many of them in years.  I do not do Facebook so I do not keep up with pics of others.  We took a group photo.  That was the first time that we were all together since the mid-to-late 80's.

Later one of the guys posted the photo on Facebook.  A friend of mine showed me the post and all of the comments.  Looking at the photo and the comments made me tear up.  It was hard for me to believe that the guys that I was looking at were once pretty good athletes (we all had the opportunity to play baseball in college at various levels).

We later got together again to go to lunch.  A couple of the guys brought their dads with them.  The same men that coached me in little league, etc. and that I have known my whole life.  Again, the tears flowed as it was difficult to see these men walking with canes and/or being careful getting around and watching their now grown sons taking care of them.  Gone are the days of them throwing BP or taking infield with us.

It is one thing to see people every day and not recognize the aging process but to be separated from folks for a while and then seeing them, well, reality really sets in.  I knew that I was "old" (almost 56) but the picture really drove the point home in a very visible way.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

A couple of weeks ago a lifelong buddy of mine mother passed away.  She was in her early 80's.  I went to her funeral along with a few other childhood buddies that I grew up playing baseball with.  I had not seen many of them in years.  I do not do Facebook so I do not keep up with pics of others.  We took a group photo.  That was the first time that we were all together since the mid-to-late 80's.

Later one of the guys posted the photo on Facebook.  A friend of mine showed me the post and all of the comments.  Looking at the photo and the comments made me tear up.  It was hard for me to believe that the guys that I was looking at were once pretty good athletes (we all had the opportunity to play baseball in college at various levels).

We later got together again to go to lunch.  A couple of the guys brought their dads with them.  The same men that coached me in little league, etc. and that I have known my whole life.  Again, the tears flowed as it was difficult to see these men walking with canes and/or being careful getting around and watching their now grown sons taking care of them.  Gone are the days of them throwing BP or taking infield with us.

It is one thing to see people every day and not recognize the aging process but to be separated from folks for a while and then seeing them, well, reality really sets in.  I knew that I was "old" (almost 56) but the picture really drove the point home in a very visible way.

I’m an old on Facebook.  It definitely makes you feel old, seeing thirty year olds complaining about aging, seeing a pic of an older lady and realizing she graduated a year after you did, etc

• Like 2