Getting old sucks

Hate

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2021 at 2:25 PM, Ojo Rojo said:

Got my first (of probably many) cortisone injection in my right inner elbow.  Doc said it's standard tendinitis.  We did not pinpoint a cause.  Surprisingly he did not think it was mouse usage.  Who knows?  Hopefully cortisone will work its magic.

@Ojo Rojo @Nice Guy Eddie

Did a search on "cortisone elbow". Saw a couple of posts by you gentlemen. How did it work out for you? I've been through the ringer - MRIs, therapy, some "elbow fiix" device I bought online, working with a trainer to cut out stuff that really bothers it...but it keeps creeping back up. Considering cortisone but the last doctor did not seem too high on this solution but feeling like I'm out of options. What are the pros and cons? Thanks in advance. 

1 hour ago, Baboontyme said:

@Ojo Rojo @Nice Guy Eddie

Did a search on "cortisone elbow". Saw a couple of posts by you gentlemen. How did it work out for you? I've been through the ringer - MRIs, therapy, some "elbow fiix" device I bought online, working with a trainer to cut out stuff that really bothers it...but it keeps creeping back up. Considering cortisone but the last doctor did not seem too high on this solution but feeling like I'm out of options. What are the pros and cons? Thanks in advance. 

The shots definitely helped in the short term. The inflammation and pain was gone quickly. I found that if I tried to jump back into working out, I invariably had pain again. Required another shot. Finally I just let it heal over 6+ months and stayed away from activity that stressed my elbow.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 10:02 PM, dcbc said:

CT Calcium scan for all of you guys in your mid to late 40s.  It will give you an idea of where things stand.

Is this the heart thing? What exactly do they do?

Took my mom to the heart doc a few days ago. In the middle of her stuff, he turned to me, asked me how old I was and then said I need to get a Calcium scan (she was relaying her father/uncle dying of a heart attack). Gave me a flyer for a $99 "Heart Saver CT"

I also asked him what's the most important thing I should be doing right now for my heart. "Run. Exercise. Get the heart rate up. I'm not talking about going for a walk or playing golf." Since then I've hit the rowing machine each day.

Also just went for a blood work up. Never done any of that before. Never see a doctor. Late 30s, no health issues, reasonable weight, reasonable diet. Figured I would start it at 40, but the doctor's attitude toward preventable death kinda kicked me in the butt.

On 7/17/2022 at 1:18 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The shots definitely helped in the short term. The inflammation and pain was gone quickly. I found that if I tried to jump back into working out, I invariably had pain again. Required another shot. Finally I just let it heal over 6+ months and stayed away from activity that stressed my elbow.

This.  I battled tennis elbow for 20 months before it finally healed.  I had three cortisone shots spread over many months and the relief was only temporary.  I did PT, Graston (hurt like hell), message, heat therapy, and electro.  Not sure if any of those really worked or it just healed with time. I almost had surgery but the second opinion surgeon, who is also an acquaintance, talked me out of it.  Tendinitis is self limiting.  It will heal eventually.  

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Is this the heart thing? What exactly do they do?

Took my mom to the heart doc a few days ago. In the middle of her stuff, he turned to me, asked me how old I was and then said I need to get a Calcium scan (she was relaying her father/uncle dying of a heart attack). Gave me a flyer for a $99 "Heart Saver CT"

I also asked him what's the most important thing I should be doing right now for my heart. "Run. Exercise. Get the heart rate up. I'm not talking about going for a walk or playing golf." Since then I've hit the rowing machine each day.

Also just went for a blood work up. Never done any of that before. Never see a doctor. Late 30s, no health issues, reasonable weight, reasonable diet. Figured I would start it at 40, but the doctor's attitude toward preventable death kinda kicked me in the butt.

Yes.  Heart/circulation.  It takes about 5 minutes.  They put you through one of those ring ct scanners and, the result gives you a score based on how much arterial calcium buildup you have---a zero score is ideal.  I got one in 2020 (age 46) after having high cholesterol for years and trying to avoid statins with diet and exercise.  I scored zero which is good, but ended up getting on a low dose, 3x per week statin dose anyway because high cholesterol is largely a genetic issue.

Edited by dcbc

30 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Yes.  Heart/circulation.  It takes about 5 minutes.  They put you through one of those ring ct scanners and, the result gives you a score based on how much arterial calcium buildup you have---a zero score is ideal.  I got one in 2020 (age 46) after having high cholesterol for years and trying to avoid statins with diet and exercise.  I scored zero which is good, but ended up getting on a low dose, 3x per week statin dose anyway because high cholesterol is largely a genetic issue.

Is it done in a CT machine? I can't do MRI's without two days worth of valium but I think I can make a CT. Age wise, I'm within 12 months of when my dad died and it's always on my mind.

Is it done in a CT machine? I can't do MRI's without two days worth of valium but I think I can make a CT. Age wise, I'm within 12 months of when my dad died and it's always on my mind.

Yes. I did mine this year. It’s open and super easy and quick.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Crapinon said:

Yes.  I'm the same with MRIs.  This is a ring, not a tube.  This was a cakewalk.  It's $75, and worth knowing how things are looking.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

I am 67.

Different things hurt all of the time.

If I went to the doctor every time something started to hurt I would be there 2 or 3 times a month. Fuck that. I have found if I just wait a week or so the pain goes away but......moves somewhere else that will also go away in a few weeks.

You will figure it out.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

My Grandmother lived to 94 and her cholesterol was ridiculously high for her whole life.  YMMV

My grandfather lived to 95 and I'd be willing to bet he had no idea what his cholesterol numbers were.

• Hook 'Em 1

My Grandmother lived to 94 and her cholesterol was ridiculously high for her whole life.  YMMV

My dad’s heart surgeon told me cholesterol levels themselves weren’t the issue. The issue was whether you had blockage and that some people with high cholesterol have little blockage and vice versa for some reason.
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, dcbc said:

Yes.  I'm the same with MRIs.  This is a ring, not a tube.  This was a cakewalk.  It's $75, and worth knowing how things are looking.

Where is it $75? Got a flyer for Heart Hospital of Austin for $99.

Got bloodwork back, everything is good, except cholesterol (LDL and non-HDL) is elevated. Reading up, I'd put the culprit at not enough exercise and too many sweets.

I exercise a few times a week, but never did cardio. Don't eat like complete garbage, but I do loves me some dessert. 

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

54 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Where is it $75? Got a flyer for Heart Hospital of Austin for $99.

Got bloodwork back, everything is good, except cholesterol (LDL and non-HDL) is elevated. Reading up, I'd put the culprit at not enough exercise and too many sweets.

I exercise a few times a week, but never did cardio. Don't eat like complete garbage, but I do loves me some dessert. 

I got mine two years ago.  UT Health System or Christus Health System would have been where I had it done.  No insurance involved, and that was the price for me.  Maybe it's $99 in Austin.

45 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

I have my first colonscopy coming up.  Any tips?  This is the first medical procedure that has made me feel "old".

Buy some flushable wipes. Even the softest of toilet paper will leave you raw after 25 times in 12 hours. Enjoy a great nap during the procedure. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

I have my first colonscopy coming up.  Any tips?  This is the first medical procedure that has made me feel "old".

Desitin and a bidet.  Enjoy your post-op burger, and don't trust a fart for 12 hours after the procedure.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

Make sure you get Propofol--the best drug ever.  For most, the actual procedure is a non-event.   

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Always book the early appt, which means you start “the cleanse” earlier, and might actually get a little sleep once the tank empties. Fasting the day before definitely helps emptying things out as well. 

11 hours ago, After irth said:

Always book the early appt, which means you start “the cleanse” earlier, and might actually get a little sleep once the tank empties. Fasting the day before definitely helps emptying things out as well. 

Last time I did one, the doc split the cleanse up into two shifts.  So I had to drink more of the go-lightly early on the morning of.

• Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, After irth said:

monday early am is the prime spot. prep / purge sunday, done by noon monday

This past weekend I met up with a friend at top golf to goof off for a bit.  I have not swung a club in a couple years but I still got it where it counts.  I did a funky swing I guess during the goofing off and now I think I have a cracked rib on my right side.  How the fuck do you crack a rib playing top golf?  #50

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

so my arthritis in my right knee has been bad / flaring up. started on the kirkland turmeric supplement and it's worked good for me. curious if anyone else take a turmeric supplement and what results you're getting.

Same. I was pleasantly surprised. 

• Hook 'Em 1