Getting old sucks

Hate

2 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I wish my wife understood this.  That and the fact that she doesn't need to be speaking every second that she's not reading.  I just want some quiet.  How hard is that?

My wife absolutely understands and respects this. It's great. Kid and my mom? Absolutely not.

After my 2nd trip to the ER this summer (mountain biking/soccer), I realize that getting old is not when you worry that you're too old to do something w/o getting hurt.  It's when you begin to hesitate doing something because of how much it will cost in medical bills.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

After my 2nd trip to the ER this summer (mountain biking/soccer), I realize that getting old is not when you worry that you're too old to do something w/o getting hurt.  It's when you begin to hesitate doing something because of how much it will cost in medical bills.

This right here.  I find myself doing a lot more FLRA's (Field Level Risk Assessments) now before I start to do even the most basic of things.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

clint-eastwood-magnum-force.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Last January I had my regular 6 months visit to my doctor to have my A1c checked and whatnot. I had not been diligent in my sugar avoidance over the Holidays and my number had jumped to almost 9. It had been 6.5 prior to that. Doctor wanted me to switch away from metformin to something else. I said ,no, I want to get back to my regular  sugar-free ways, do more walking and see if we could get it back down. I went back yesterday for my visit and my A1c was at 6.9 and I am 11 pounds lighter. She was impressed.

I do have a stress fracture in my right foot, probably from the walking and hiking. That sucks.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/21/2022 at 11:13 AM, Cheeseweasel said:

Same way you pull a hammy getting out of bed. Getting Old Sucks.

Lol I've been laughing at and ridiculing all you pussies pulling hamstrings getting out of bed....and then yesterday morning happened...guess I'm a pussy too now.  FML

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Man colonoscopy prep is so much worse than the actual procedure. I’m not sure which I like less: not eating all day or shitting my brains out.

They say clear liquids only the day before. I found myself pondering whether or not whiskey counts.

Vodka has been my go-to in prep.

When I went to CVS yesterday to pick up the steroid cream that was prescribed for my weekend brush with poison oak, the nice lady asked if I’d be interested in the shingles shot.

Having known several folks that have bad experiences with shingles, and thinking I was going to be miserable with the poison ivy rash anyway, I said “sure!”  

Although I’m still glad I got the shot, holy hell is this a tough one. Feels like my arm got hit with a sledgehammer. And I really feel crummy too. 

54 minutes ago, nnm said:

When I went to CVS yesterday to pick up the steroid cream that was prescribed for my weekend brush with poison oak, the nice lady asked if I’d be interested in the shingles shot.

Having known several folks that have bad experiences with shingles, and thinking I was going to be miserable with the poison ivy rash anyway, I said “sure!”  

Although I’m still glad I got the shot, holy hell is this a tough one. Feels like my arm got hit with a sledgehammer. And I really feel crummy too. 

The worst vaccination side effects I've ever had. FYI, the 2nd one isn't any better. 

• Like 1

Same here with the Shingrix shots.  But they are worth it.  Shingles can be devastating.  I know a guy who still can see out of one eye after getting shingles.  I got shingles about a year before the Shingrix shots were approved and it sucked.  For me, worse than covid.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Is it still a 2-shot regimen? It's an ass kicker. Both times.

Yup.  Have to go back in 2-6 months for the 2nd.  Yay.

Still glad I got it though.  I've known enough people that have had their tails kicked by shingles that I don't want any part of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, nnm said:

Yup.  Have to go back in 2-6 months for the 2nd.  Yay.

Still glad I got it though.  I've known enough people that have had their tails kicked by shingles that I don't want any part of it.

Truth. My FIL is the toughest motherfucker to ever walk the earth and Shingles kicked his ass. As soon as I turned fiddy, I got both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Same question here

You can (and likely will) get shingles again.  You just don’t know when.  And it usually comes back in the same area of your body.  I had shingles in my mid 50’s and then when the Shingrix shots were approved it was highly recommended that I get the shots.  So I did.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/3/2022 at 10:12 AM, Brisketexan said:

Hey, another a-fib episode with a cardioversion scheduled in a few minutes. That’s a fun little Friday.
I was actually at the electrocardio doc on Tuesday for an annual follow up. All good, no new episodes. THREE FUCKING DAYS LATER, Here I am. Stupid internal electric signals.

Good friend of mine went to get an outpatient procedure to treat a-fib. He started bleeding out and at one point died. Between chest compressions and defibrillator shocks, they brought him back to life. He stayed in the ICU for 3 days for observation.

Dude was 185 lb when I met him. He dropped 50 lbs in 1.5 years with disciplined diet and exercise. 42 YO old and in peak shape and almost died leaving behind a wife and 2 young kids.

Be careful out there. 

Good friend of mine went to get an outpatient procedure to treat a-fib. He started bleeding out and at one point died. Between chest compressions and defibrillator shocks, they brought him back to life. He stayed in the ICU for 3 days for observation.
Dude was 185 lb when I met him. He dropped 50 lbs in 1.5 years with disciplined diet and exercise. 42 YO old and in peak shape and almost died leaving behind a wife and 2 young kids.
Be careful out there. 

So, thanks for THAT story.
  • Haha 1

One of my friends from church had a heart attack in June. He was playing basketball with some of the guys and complained about feeling light headed. They drove him home and he told his wife he was having some chest pains. He was in the ICU for observation for a few days. The only exercise he’s allowed to do now is short walks. He’s not allowed to do anything strenuous until next year.

My friend’s dad died of a heart attack when he was only 53. My friend has always been good about staying fit. His wife is a fitness instructor and makes sure he eats well and gets exercise. Shit just happened out of the blue. His kids are about the same age as mine. Scary that 2 of my healthiest friends nearly died this year. 

My knees were popping like crazy earlier this year, and things have gotten worse since then.

My right knee cap doesn’t seem to want to stay in place, and I can feel it slide around when I move my leg.

But it’s the left knee that hurts more. It’s not a shooting pain, but it hurts when I’m climbing stairs, which sucks because I live in a 2-story house. I was in the park with my kids yesterday throwing a frisbee around. I “ran” a little to catch the occasional errant throw and my knee hurts to even push away from my desk. The pain is coming from behind the knee cap. I emailed my primary care doc today asking for a referral to an orthopedic doctor.

I’m almost 48 and still relatively healthy, but my joints are deteriorating a lot faster than the rest of my body.

53. Had a CT scan Friday on the old ticker to see if there was artery blockage because the old man had a heart attack and bypass surgery at 61.

Score came back a perfect zero.

So I’ll probably get hit by a beer truck tomorrow (knock wood) but those arteries are pure.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Superhero said:

My knees were popping like crazy earlier this year, and things have gotten worse since then.

My right knee cap doesn’t seem to want to stay in place, and I can feel it slide around when I move my leg.

But it’s the left knee that hurts more. It’s not a shooting pain, but it hurts when I’m climbing stairs, which sucks because I live in a 2-story house. I was in the park with my kids yesterday throwing a frisbee around. I “ran” a little to catch the occasional errant throw and my knee hurts to even push away from my desk. The pain is coming from behind the knee cap. I emailed my primary care doc today asking for a referral to an orthopedic doctor.

I’m almost 48 and still relatively healthy, but my joints are deteriorating a lot faster than the rest of my body.

Try an anti-inflammatory diet. Eliminate a lot of sugars, etc.  That pain behind the kneecap sounds a lot like tendinitis, which shouldn’t be manifesting with such light activity unless your body is freaking out with inflammation. 

10 hours ago, Superhero said:

Be careful out there. 

How tall is this guy? Cause 135 is pretty freaking small 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Superhero said:

I had both of my knees replaced at 53 so you are right on schedule. Like @nnm said, there are dietary things that can help and dropping a few pounds won't hurt either.

• Like 1