Getting old sucks

Hate

Been there, done that, especially since taking Plavix .

Usually on my pillow, but sometimes just sitting around I’ll look down and see dried blood streaming down my arm (apparently after bumping unnoticed into a sharp corner earlier. Also have to remember to keep my fingernails trimmed short.

There are still some bloodstains on the door panels & seatbelts of both our cars.

It sucks, but here we are.

53. Had a CT scan Friday on the old ticker to see if there was artery blockage because the old man had a heart attack and bypass surgery at 61.

Score came back a perfect zero.

So I’ll probably get hit by a beer truck tomorrow (knock wood) but those arteries are pure.

50 here, and just had the same done. I wasn’t a zero but the attractive cardio PA says I’m so low as not to worry about it. That plus the recent clean report from the colonoscopy feels like a good place to be at 50.

I still need to lose some weight and not drink so much.
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 8/3/2022 at 11:15 AM, nnm said:

When I went to CVS yesterday to pick up the steroid cream that was prescribed for my weekend brush with poison oak, the nice lady asked if I’d be interested in the shingles shot.

Having known several folks that have bad experiences with shingles, and thinking I was going to be miserable with the poison ivy rash anyway, I said “sure!”  

Although I’m still glad I got the shot, holy hell is this a tough one. Feels like my arm got hit with a sledgehammer. And I really feel crummy too. 

Yes sir. Did the nice lady tell you that it takes two shots?

2 hours ago, smuggs said:

The second one sucks ass. I got shingles in my left ear last summer though - I'd take five 2nd round shingles shots in my dickhole before going through that again.

Yep.  I know a guy who still can’t see well out of one eye after shingles. 

I just had a great laugh. Sitting at work and the guy beside me is talking about his camping trip over the weekend. "Man, they weren't kidding about turning 30. Everything hurts." I laughed my ass off and told him "You have no clue what is coming down the pike." I wish I was 30 again, I would buy every shred of Apple stock I could get my hands on.

• Hook 'Em 2

Next door neighbor passed away over the weekend.  We weren't super close, but we were always friendly with each other.  He was the first person to greet my son and I when we moved in.  He had a pond with some goldfish in it that I would feed for him while he was out of town for work.  He was, at least outwardly, always cheerful if not a bit corny.  I would put him in my age range, about 5-7 years older than me would be my guess.  But he was in seemingly way better shape.  Exercised all the time, big time mountain biker.   Lived by himself and was estranged from his family.  His living room was basically a home gym.  My understanding is that is he was found on the floor near the exercise equipment.

In a blink of an eye, a life gone.  Time for me to look into that coronary calcium screening, I guess.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2022 at 1:13 PM, Armybrat said:

70CEF841-C112-424D-ABE0-9C2ED75492A2.jpeg

15 more years, Lord willing.

20 days until the big 50.

I feel like it's more about the family than it is about me. That's cool, I guess. Not sure I want to celebrate it though. I negotiated a small dinner at home(bbq or fish fry) and fancy cake. I already bought what I wanted.

The wife did offer to take me to Vegas. But what's the point of going to Vegas with your wife? I'm too old to go to jail, and I ain't that freaky. I can go to Lake Charles and do everything I want.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I have an issue with my big toe.  The Dr tells me the cartilage is gone and that my best option is a fusion.  Has anyone had this procedure?  He tells me a month on a knee scooter as I am not to put any weight on that foot while it is healing.  I am 61 and still play tennis 3-4 times a week and the wife and I still like to hike.  He tells me that I will continue to be able to do these things. I would like to hear from someone who has had this done.  TIA

11 hours ago, VonZipper said:

I have an issue with my big toe.  The Dr tells me the cartilage is gone and that my best option is a fusion.  Has anyone had this procedure?  He tells me a month on a knee scooter as I am not to put any weight on that foot while it is healing.  I am 61 and still play tennis 3-4 times a week and the wife and I still like to hike.  He tells me that I will continue to be able to do these things. I would like to hear from someone who has had this done.  TIA

Haven't had a big toe fusion but I hurt my big toe in high school and developed a bone spur on it.  The removal of the bone spur resulted in limited movement of my big toe.  The limited movement affects my balance with certain movements (lunges) and even hurts when I do push ups because of forcing it to bend more than it wants to.  Don't get me started about weather changes.  It hasn't stopped me from playing full-court basketball 3 days a week for the last 30+ years or hiking (which I do a lot of).  I am  very active but it lets me know from time to time that it is not the same.  Getting old sucks.

• Rage+1 1

So...I've been pissing dark brown urine for about 4 days now. The past few days have been some physical excursion like I haven't had in years. I assume this is because of extreme dehydration (worked outside building a fence and shed). So yesterday I pounded water all day and stayed inside and it got better but still has a "brown tint" to it. I feel fine though.

Have to go on a business trip on Sunday for a few weeks. Hoping this clears up but my knees are literally on fire. This getting old is for the birds.

4 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

So...I've been pissing dark brown urine for about 4 days now. The past few days have been some physical excursion like I haven't had in years. I assume this is because of extreme dehydration (worked outside building a fence and shed). So yesterday I pounded water all day and stayed inside and it got better but still has a "brown tint" to it. I feel fine though.

Have to go on a business trip on Sunday for a few weeks. Hoping this clears up but my knees are literally on fire. This getting old is for the birds.

OldOpenDachshund-size_restricted.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

Check with a doctor.  It could be rhabdomyolysis, which can cause kidney damage.  I'm not a doctor, don't play one on TV, and didn't stay at Holiday Inn.  I did have a coworker get rhabdomyolysis and have a bit of a hard time with it.

I got a melanoma removed from the top of my head yesterday.  I caught it early, and the doctor said that it is only in the outer layer of skin, so it was removed in his office.  I expected a relatively small excision and a couple of stitches.  I have a six inch rift going across the top of my head with I don't  know how many stitches and a headache like nobody's business today.  I didn't sleep well last night because of the pain and worrying about pulling the bandage off, so I am a grumpy, sleepy mess right now.

Still better than leaving a melanoma to go wild and kill me.  Wear a hat and long sleeved shirt and use sunscreen, y'all.  You don't want this.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Check with a doctor.  It could be rhabdomyolysis, which can cause kidney damage.  I'm not a doctor, don't play one on TV, and didn't stay at Holiday Inn.  I did have a coworker get rhabdomyolysis and have a bit of a hard time with it.

SM isn’t shitting around (SWIDT?). Likely either rhabdo or some sort of infection.  Get it checked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I got a melanoma removed from the top of my head yesterday.  I caught it early, and the doctor said that it is only in the outer layer of skin, so it was removed in his office.  I expected a relatively small excision and a couple of stitches.  I have a six inch rift going across the top of my head with I don't  know how many stitches and a headache like nobody's business today.  I didn't sleep well last night because of the pain and worrying about pulling the bandage off, so I am a grumpy, sleepy mess right now.

Still better than leaving a melanoma to go wild and kill me.  Wear a hat and long sleeved shirt and use sunscreen, y'all.  You don't want this.

My son-in-law, a 20-something SF veteran and paramedic/firefighter, had a melanoma removed last year. He’ll have lifelong risk of recurrence. His wife, my daughter, did a rotation at MD Anderson melanoma clinic when she was in PA school. Super alarming stories from that. It’s unbelievably scary stuff.

Everybody should get checked out regularly. Full body scan.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hate said:

How did you find it on top of your head?

I cut my own hair, so I check the top and sides with a mirror to make sure it's cut evenly.  I saw it a couple of months ago and asked my wife to help me keep an eye on it.  I then asked my family doctor about it at my next checkup a few weeks later.  He referred me to a dermatologist who took the biopsy, then the dermatologist referred me to an ENT guy who did the cutting.  I really think he did a good job, I just didn't have a frame of reference on what to expect.

My dad has had several basal cell and melanoma tumors cut off of his head and face, so since I get about as much sun as he has, I figured I had better keep an eye out.  I don't fuck with cancer.  That shit (esophageal, not skin) took my mom when she was just 53.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Superhero said:

Went in for this today… gotta wear it for 48 hours because the Doc wants to know why my heart rate can go from 70s to over 100 for no real good reason. 

2FD3FCE1-B37D-4EDA-A9AD-D7749188A94F.jpeg

I had to do this a few years ago. I was diagnosed with SVT. My heart will race 7 or 8 times a year on average. If I stay hydrated that seems to keep it under control for me. Once it does start to race I know how to bring it back under control. I am also on meds to keep it under control too. An ablation is an option but have opted to stick with meds for now.

23 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Wife had one removed a couple years ago. It was the size of a quarter. It took a while to fully heal because it was basically an open wound that couldn’t be closed. We both get checked out by the dermatologist every year now as it will likely be a continual problem.

On the subject of getting old, I used to make fun of my dad when I was younger and he slowed down or couldn’t keep up. Shit, I don’t know that I can keep up with what he was doing in his 50’s at this point at 44. One elbow surgery down, another in a couple of months, potential back surgery in the interim, knees and ankles that take way too long to get functioning, my youthful idiocy has kicked me in the ass the last 2-3 years.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, mininghorn88 said:

I had to do this a few years ago. I was diagnosed with SVT. My heart will race 7 or 8 times a year on average. If I stay hydrated that seems to keep it under control for me. Once it does start to race I know how to bring it back under control. I am also on meds to keep it under control too. An ablation is an option but have opted to stick with meds for now.

Forgot about that bit of fun as it’s become an annual routine at this point. I have to take heart rate medicine to keep it under a set level or it will race to the point of being really bad. After finally seeing a legit cardiologist he figured out I had a defect that cut off blood supply to the widow maker as my heart rate increased which exacerbated the problem. Legit best thing I’ve ever done medically was getting a referral to a cardio rather than just taking what my PCP prescribed. 

18 hours ago, Superhero said:

Went in for this today… gotta wear it for 48 hours because the Doc wants to know why my heart rate can go from 70s to over 100 for no real good reason. 

2FD3FCE1-B37D-4EDA-A9AD-D7749188A94F.jpeg

Spoiler that kind of content! 

Good luck with that. Afib runs in my family. Haven’t had it yet but won’t be surprised when it arrives. 

Well...made my way to an urgent care clinic today (my doc is closed today) and they confirmed blood in my urine. She mentioned that blood tests need to be done to confirm rhabdomyoma but it's probable. So here I am pounding water to flush toxins per their recommendations. If it doesn't get better tomorrow, I'll head to the ER.

Worked called and they are already short-handed and I fly our red eye Sunday am. Always something. 8c9babd03cd0150adbda660e170ac408.jpg

2 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

Well...made my way to an urgent care clinic today (my doc is closed today) and they confirmed blood in my urine. She mentioned that blood tests need to be done to confirm rhabdomyoma but it's probable. So here I am pounding water to flush toxins per their recommendations. If it doesn't get better tomorrow, I'll head to the ER.

Worked called and they are already short-handed and I fly our red eye Sunday am. Always something. 8c9babd03cd0150adbda660e170ac408.jpg

Get well soon, man.