Getting old sucks

Hate

44 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

So….has anyone around here ever had an eye floater? Yesterday I thought something got in my eye doing yard work. Took my contacts out, showered and put in some eye drops even though I couldn’t fell or see anything looking at it in the mirror.

It’s this little speck that literally floats from the outside periphery into the middle then back.

Supposedly not all that uncommon and unless coupled with other symptoms not a sign of anything terrible. Also more prevalent over age 50 so thought I’d ask you old farts about it.

Have had many, and they started long before I got old. They come and go

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Thanks…was wondering if i needed to add this to the list of shit I just need to get used to. Somewhere:

- above getting up to piss twice a night; and

- below making sure I don’t sit on my balls when wearing boxers

Don't forget tinnitus.  

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, MirrOlure said:

So….has anyone around here ever had an eye floater? Yesterday I thought something got in my eye doing yard work. Took my contacts out, showered and put in some eye drops even though I couldn’t fell or see anything looking at it in the mirror.

It’s this little speck that literally floats from the outside periphery into the middle then back.

Supposedly not all that uncommon and unless coupled with other symptoms not a sign of anything terrible. Also more prevalent over age 50 so thought I’d ask you old farts about it.

Yeah, I’ve had a couple floating around in my left eyeball for a couple of years ever since the retina surgery. 
One gets distracting at times - looks like a bug moving out of the corner of my eye. Even makes me flinch a little now & then  when driving.

54 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Thanks…was wondering if i needed to add this to the list of shit I just need to get used to. Somewhere:

Or dipping them in the cold pisswater.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Yes. Still dealing with that. But actually manageable with hearing aids

I didn't know hearings aids could help. I've been searching for legitimate cures (sorry, no vitamins and herbs) and have even contacted universities doing trials/studies to no avail. 

So the theory is that losing the high pitch hearing range causes the brain to “replace” the lost sound.

I’ve got hearing loss in my family and had two bouts with Covid and started noticing intense ringing at the end of 2021.

Went ahead and “invested” in high end hearing aids and have noticed a significant difference if I wear them regularly vs not

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Not necessarily an old thing.  I’ve had them since early childhood.  Eye doc says not to worry about it.  

On 10/23/2022 at 6:29 PM, MirrOlure said:

there is treatment available:

An Airbus 380 is on its way across the Atlantic. It flies consistently at 800 km/h at 30,000 feet, when suddenly a Eurofighter with a Tempo Mach 2 appears.

The pilot of the fighter jet slows down, flies alongside the Airbus and greets the pilot of the passenger plane by radio: "Airbus, boring flight isn’t it? Now have a look here!"
He rolls his jet on its back, accelerates, breaks through the sound barrier, rises rapidly to a dizzying height, and then swoops down almost to sea level in a breathtaking dive. He loops back next to the Airbus and asks: "Well, how was that?"
The Airbus pilot answers: "Very impressive, but watch this!"
The jet pilot watches the Airbus, but nothing happens. It continues to fly straight, at the same speed. After 15 minutes, the Airbus pilot radios, "Well, how was that?
Confused, the jet pilot asks, "What did you do?"
The AirBus pilot laughs and says: "I got up, stretched my legs, walked to the back of the aircraft to use the washroom, then got a cup of coffee and a chocolate fudge pastry."
The moral of the story is: When you’re young, speed and adrenaline seems to be great. But as you get older and wiser, you learn that comfort and peace are more important.
This is called S.O.S.: Slower, Older and Smarter.

Dedicated to all my senior friends ~ it’s time to slow down and enjoy the rest of the trip.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Told my wife last night I needed to come up with some good stories to tell my next wife about the multitude of scars I’ve developed from various surgeries (go in for the 4th and 5th different cuts next week) over the last 12 months. My 43rd year on this planet has been a rough one in stuff catching up with me.

Finish up first 6 weeks of PT on herniated disc issues next week and hopefully avoid surgery on that one. I’ve moved from can’t sit or stand for very long to able to get through the day with just general soreness. It’s going to cost me some hobbies and I think I’m going to have to give up my truck and move to some old person vehicle that rides better, but that sounds better than back surgery. Fun times, but it could be worse.

New milestone. Had my first MRI yesterday. Would have been a lot more enjoyable if I got high first. Those mf'ers are loud and make some interesting noises. No results yet, but apparently the tech saw something because he said "Man, that's really gotta hurt" when he was pulling me out of the tube. I wanted to say, "No shit, why do you think I'm here?", but I just said "yep."

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/2/2022 at 10:43 AM, RPM said:

New milestone. Had my first MRI yesterday. Would have been a lot more enjoyable if I got high first. Those mf'ers are loud and make some interesting noises. No results yet, but apparently the tech saw something because he said "Man, that's really gotta hurt" when he was pulling me out of the tube. I wanted to say, "No shit, why do you think I'm here?", but I just said "yep."

I’ve had 4 of them in the last 5 months (wife goes for 2nd in the last 6 weeks tomorrow), I think my ortho doc is trying to get me to cover his private school tuition for him.

I would like to extend a very warm welcome to Morton’s Neuroma for finding its way into my life. Working on getting another surgery scheduled before year end since I’m well past my deductible at this point. Thought I had a foot sprain that wouldn’t heal, nope just another f-d up nerve issue causing problems.

On 10/20/2022 at 4:15 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

Talk at work the other day turned to super bowl memories. I said I remember in super bowl 13 almost putting my foot through the television when a wide open Jackie Smith dropped a TD pass from Staubach that would have tied the game.

Everybody was like super bowl 13? You remember watching super bowl 13? Damn you old.

Too soon.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Speaking of selective hearing:

Last night I'm watching the ball game in the living room. Wife is upstairs in her office, kiddo is in her bedroom down the hall.

Wife yells down "Has kiddo taken her bath yet?"

I ignore.

Wife yells louder.

I Ignore. Daugther yells back "What?"

Wife yells louder.

Daughter yells back louder.

Eventually wife huffs down the stairs and talks to daughter directly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 4:13 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

Speaking of selective hearing:

Last night I'm watching the ball game in the living room. Wife is upstairs in her office, kiddo is in her bedroom down the hall.

Wife yells down "Has kiddo taken her bath yet?"

I ignore.

Wife yells louder.

I Ignore. Daugther yells back "What?"

Wife yells louder.

Daughter yells back louder.

Eventually wife huffs down the stairs and talks to daughter directly.

We call that male pattern deafness in our house. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/23/2022 at 7:23 PM, MirrOlure said:

If you have a hydrocele,  they can snip it down the middle, scoop out the extra, and sew it all up tighter than it was before - and it will be covered on your regular insurance plan, not as a cosmetic procedure.

I'm old but my dad is even older (91). He fell Monday didn't break any bones but got a nasty skin tear on his arm. Talked to him right after it happened, and he seemed fine. Called him back the next day to check on him and he broke down over the phone telling me he didn't think it would be much longer before he couldn't take care of himself anymore. (never heard or saw in cry in 63 years).....damn it sux getting old.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 6

Need to go to one where they play music while the MRI occurs. Makes it a lot better.

9 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Neither my wife nor I had more than mild soreness. I always thought it had to do with toughness. 

I have missed just 3 days of work over a 34 year period due to illness. The first shingles shot kicked my butt.  My temp shot up to 103 and I had chills and sweats.  I received it on a Friday and was out of commission Friday night and Saturday morning.  Once my fever broke I was fine and dandy.  The second shingles shot had no adverse effect at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

I played golf with a group of college buddies this past weekend.  We played 27 both days, cart path only (humble brag) but besides trying to find lost golf balls, we talked about all of our associated aches and medical procedures.  For those of you who haven't discovered, Metamucil is a wonder drug.  

Last saturday, I was out shopping with the wife. She was trying on coats and I was holding the bags. After shifting these bags around a few times, I pulled a muscle in my ribs, below the shoulder blade. I could only take half breaths, the pain wrapped around my right side, it was pretty bad. We left the store and I said we gotta go home. I was driving and that was a mistake, it was a nightmare. We get home and I laid down and felt better quickly. Sunday, I was much better. Monday, I was getting dressed and as I pulled up my pants, that same muscle/area said "Surprise, bitch!". Thankfully, I was working from home last week.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

Went and saw my PCM yesterday and she recommended I get a colonoscopy. Never had one and not looking forward to it but it is what it is.

Just had one a couple of weeks ago. Read through the colonoscopy thread for great tips. Best piece of advice, start with a completely liquid diet a couple of days before your prep. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 6/1/2022 at 4:38 AM, closetohumping said:

I’m an old on Facebook.  It definitely makes you feel old, seeing thirty year olds complaining about aging, seeing a pic of an older lady and realizing she graduated a year after you did, etc

A guy I hired recently is 26.  Out of curiosity I asked him how old his parents were.  They are 4 years younger than I am.  I am old.

Went and saw my PCM yesterday and she recommended I get a colonoscopy. Never had one and not looking forward to it but it is what it is.

Don't put it off.  Colon cancer is VERY treatable, if it is caught early.  If not, well...

• Like 2

This site prompted me to get my first one just over a month ago.  I have had Colonguard kits sent to me twice but never got around to pooping into a box.  I do not have to go back for 10 years.  I am 56.

Just know, at least for me, once I started to take the tablets the flushing of the body began almost immediately.  Make sure that you are near a toilet once you begin the process and plan not to stray too far off.  Otherwise you will be posting in the Shart 2022 thread.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1