Getting old sucks

Hate

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Doc said a couple of months ago he didn’t think I should be. But I’m on one now, until I get the ablation in late January.

Dammit Brisket, take every precaution available.   I've been on blood thinners since '07 for A-Fib due to heart failure because of pneumonia.  Monitoring INR levels are a pain in the ass, but without the blood thinners there's no doubt in my mind I'd have passed away a long time ago.  

Love and prayers for you brother. 

• Hook 'Em 1

And the BEST part was.....my most recent fun trip and stay at the hospital was on....my wife's birthday.  I wasn't going to make a BIG deal of her b-day; we had a nice dinner reservation, I was going to get her a card (yeah....I didn't get it way in advance, and cards really matter to her), and I got us a trip to  New Mexico in January that we'd been talking about taking.

So, she got to spend most of her birthday CANCELLING her all-day spa session that she was treating herself to, hanging out at the hospital with me (waiting an extra 3 hours to get discharged), driving me home, where I promptly took a long nap, and then at least took her out to dinner.  But, yeah, in her unvarnished words, it was her worst birthday ever, and the fact that I hadn't even bothered to get a card in advance really capped it off.

Sigh.

Then, I didn't sleep for shit last night as the lingering cold I had been dealing with (which she gave me, by the way) made me cough, and my back itched like hell from where the paddles burned me (yeah, they burn).  But back at a full day of work.  And will be picking up flowers on the way home to try to begin digging myself out of the doghouse.  And have started on a new medication regimen to continue until I get the ablation.

Yay.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

And the BEST part was.....my most recent fun trip and stay at the hospital was on....my wife's birthday.  I wasn't going to make a BIG deal of her b-day; we had a nice dinner reservation, I was going to get her a card (yeah....I didn't get it way in advance, and cards really matter to her), and I got us a trip to  New Mexico in January that we'd been talking about taking.

So, she got to spend most of her birthday CANCELLING her all-day spa session that she was treating herself to, hanging out at the hospital with me (waiting an extra 3 hours to get discharged), driving me home, where I promptly took a long nap, and then at least took her out to dinner.  But, yeah, in her unvarnished words, it was her worst birthday ever, and the fact that I hadn't even bothered to get a card in advance really capped it off.

Sigh.

Then, I didn't sleep for shit last night as the lingering cold I had been dealing with (which she gave me, by the way) made me cough, and my back itched like hell from where the paddles burned me (yeah, they burn).  But back at a full day of work.  And will be picking up flowers on the way home to try to begin digging myself out of the doghouse.  And have started on a new medication regimen to continue until I get the ablation.

Yay.

Damn, hope it gets better...

Got my cologuard test results back with a negative result. Yay. But pooping in a box and sending it on an airplane was surreal. The UPS store didn’t ask me what was in the box when I dropped it off, I desperately wanted them to ask so I could say “that’s my poop in that box” I’m still laughing over the oddity of shipping my crap in a box across country. 

but in all seriousness, if you’re 40-50 and low risk it’s soooo easy. Peace of mind is fantastic. 

next up I need to get a derm appointment and a boob squeeze & shoot appointment for those cancer screenings. 

cleared my heart last year with the vaccine reaction, so on my way to starting middle age with nothing but my nagging tennis injuries.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 5

Quick question for the group. 57 here. Relatively good shape and no major issues. Do take a high bp and cholesterol statin.

My gp is kinda lazy and really doesn’t do much for me at my annual physical except look at ear nose throat, listens to heart with a stethoscope and taps my knee for reflex testing. Does do a basic blood test that has always come back normal in whatever it tests .

I’m reading this thread and seems like I need to ask for a couple of things

1) ct scan
2) more detailed bloodwork —what exactly should I have looked at beyond the basic bloodwork.

What else am I missing?

I just want to make sure I’m getting the right things checked in the right level of detail for my age. Feels like my doc is just checking a box .

I have a high deductible plan, but do want to get as much looked at , preventively, at my next exam.

Appreciate any insight.

So when I struggled through my last marathon (at age 52) I self scheduled a stress test with a cardiologist friend of mine.

The staff got bored waiting on me to register “stress” and told me to quit.

So schedule a stress test, knock it out of the park and go on enjoying life! Oh, and insist on colonoscopies every 5 years instead of every 10.

Motherfuck, woke up yesterday with tendinitis flaring up in my Achilles and it went downhill fast. By last night I could barely take steps and it was worse this morning. Called and got a prescription for anti inflammatory medicine that the pharmacy will not have until tomorrow which is fun.

It pops up every year or so from old damage, but this time has been about the worst pain I ever remember experiencing. It just completely locks up mid step and feels like someone took a sawzall to my ankle. I was sitting in the floor doing the butt slide to the bathroom at 5 am this morning contemplating the bottles of Tramadol and Hydro’s I have from recent surgeries that I never took.

This last 12 months age wise has really been a swift kick in the nuts. If the downhill slope of age gets much steeper, I may have to start drinking more.

Edited by Brew

On 12/12/2022 at 7:05 AM, Cheeseweasel said:

Sir, this is not the getting old is awesome thread.

facts

<<----- 38  haven't been to the doctor in 10 years.

and i got bunch of issues, im scared to get looked at

my ankles, knees wrist shoulders always hurt.

i belly bloat like a mofo at night. and got gas like never before.

got blood clots bumps?? in my arm and ass

i gotta shit first thing in the morning every morning - 

when i was drinkin beer, i had to pee every five mins. hangovers lasted 3 days. 

i get bloody noses under hot showers.

and this is all within the last 5 years.....

Web MD says im dying.. 

getting old sucks

edit::

adding.. 

late last year, i got pink eye ( got it from my girl who got it from her neice) 

i actually did go to urgent care, so i could get some drops and shyt.. same time i had a UTI... ( i was all sorts of fucked up)

they did all those diagnostics- heart, temp and shyt.....lol bruh, they said i had high blood pressure and had me take a pill ( no idea what the pill was) and wait 30 mins.. i guess they couldn't let me leave until 30 mins after i took the pill.

Web MD might be right...

extra Edit:: i actually do have a doctors appt set with the VA - Jan 3rd... 

Edited by kingkoopa6
adding extra story

Go sooner rather than later, everything gets worse and recovery is a bitch every year older. I didn’t go to the doctor until my late 30’s and then it was because of BP issues. Started seeing a cardio three times a year with that. Ignored everything else until last year and have now had 5 surgeries in 13 months to fix old issues with my knee still to schedule, this Achilles issue to figure out, and 2 ruptured discs that PT has manageable for now. I’m really wishing I would have put up the wakeboard and snow skis a few years earlier.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

they did all those diagnostics- heart, temp and shyt.....lol bruh, they said i had high blood pressure and had me take a pill ( no idea what the pill was) and wait 30 mins.. i guess they couldn't let me leave until 30 mins after i took the pill.

That is why I ended up at a cardiologist. Went in to urgent care for a sinus shot and my BP was showing 200+\100+, they freaked out and gave me something to lower it which didn’t work, they wanted to send me in an ambulance to the ER, and I said F that I’m going home and signed a release to get out of there. I started checking my BP and it was higher than normal but it would shoot up every time I got stressed or something was going on. Called a doctor friend of mine and he referred me to a cardiologist. They did a full battery of tests and found I had a heart defect that cut off blood supply when my heart rate went up. He put me on a heart rate medicine and I’ve been fine since although I still do a full battery of testing annually to check for changes. If I would not have gone to the cardio, the GP would have likely put me on a ton of pills not knowing the root cause of the issue.

Go see someone and if it is a BP issue get a referral to a cardiologist.

Got a CT Cardiac scan. 3 arteries totally clear. LAD artery got a score of 55, which is in the mild range for potential issues. LAD is largest artery but also carries the most blood to the heart. Blockage there causes the widowmaker. Doc says not that big of a worry and we're already doing the right things to prevent further issues. Gonna remind myself of this when I wanna bail on the elliptical for the day. Fucking genetics suck.

I’m liking this idea of hiring a bunch of hoes to show up at my funeral.  Maybe various ages and some with kids in tow.  No explanation, they just cry my name and leave.  

Only one if my wife dies first. Otherwise she’s nipping this in the bud before these people get through the funeral home doors!

Had my first kidney stone episode on Christmas Day.   Knew it was there from a previous scan, but didn't think too much about it.  Woke up with a ridiculous pain on right side and could only dribble out a little pee.  Started chugging water, lemon juice, lime juice, pineapple juice and generally laying on the floor in pain.  Wife is not so pleased to be interrupted on Christmas morning and starts getting ready to make an ER run.  I could feel the pain move from the back to front, then down towards the exit.  Kept chugging acidic juices and it passed thru.  I felt great after it passed.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, deadshank said:

My funeral attendance is spiking.  

Not just grandma or gramps or old uncle Larry but more and more often guys I went to college with.   Guys younger than me.  

Time marches on, Ray.  

I play pipes at a lot of funerals. It's a little upsetting that I'm beginning to go to a lot of them that are for people my age and younger.

• Hook 'Em 2

I've gotten to where it's very difficult to go to funerals.  I've conducted several services for family members, some older and some very much younger.  Doing that for family was very difficult and left some emotional scars. Now that I'm getting older, there are so many friends,  family members and acquaintances that are so much younger, it just tears my heart out. I should be ashamed for my lack of courage, but in that area it just seems the well has run dry.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Soooooo.... I have had 64 revolutions around the sun. BUT ... mentally I am about 35 years old. Emotionally, I am about 12 years old.
Never broken a bone.
No surgeries.
One night in the hospital about 12 years ago for diverticulitis.
No prescription drugs of any kind in over 10 years.
I have had Life Line Screening done on 2 occasions. No blockage to speak of and circulation is great.
Am I lucky? Am I blessed?
I don't feel like it.
The emotional aspect of grief is always lurking beneath the surface and sometimes, it breaks through for all to see.
In the meantime, I still have too much to do.
I can't imagine living with physical pain that a number of you go through every day.
Keep fighting the fight! 
Your loved ones need you.

Great post. Good for you and appreciate it while you can.

As my old man used to say, don’t get cocky son because the world rolls over on some poor son of a bitch every day. I don’t say this as a lecture, but just as something that comes to mind that I try to remember. Good lesson from the old man.

When/if it does for you, you’ll suck it up and power through just like the rest of us. It’s the way of things.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Hate said:

The nap and post procedure meal are the best. 

I had a strange new respect for Michael Jackson after my nap during my first procedure 5 years ago.

I get to do it again next week.  Pro tip -- start fasting earlier than they tell you, maybe a day earlier.  Way easier to clean things out if there isn't so much stuff in there to begin with.  Also remember -- vodka is a clear liquid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lidig8r said:

Soooooo.... I have had 64 revolutions around the sun. BUT ... mentally I am about 35 years old. Emotionally, I am about 12 years old.

Never broken a bone.

No surgeries.

One night in the hospital about 12 years ago for diverticulitis.

No prescription drugs of any kind in over 10 years.

I have had Life Line Screening done on 2 occasions. No blockage to speak of and circulation is great.

Am I lucky? Am I blessed?

I don't feel like it.

The emotional aspect of grief is always lurking beneath the surface and sometimes, it breaks through for all to see.

In the meantime, I still have too much to do.

I can't imagine living with physical pain that a number of you go through every day.

Keep fighting the fight! 

Your loved ones need you.

Thought this was going to lead to an ending like  " then suddenly, I woke up with an excruciating..." or " One false step and..."

So congrats to you. I believe in jinxes too much to ever post something like that but you go on brother! 

Anyone round here dealing with gout? What doc administered treatments have worked for your you? Is asking for a rheumatologist the way to go? For the love of god please don’t come in and say cherries, apple cider vinegar gummies, blah blah if you yourself haven’t used it. Or “my grandpa/uncle/dad did xyz”. I don’t drink. My diet isn’t terrible although I definitely am on the fatter side. I’ve seen a doc four times since Christmas with the same flare up. Finally today able to put on a boot and walk.

13 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

Anyone round here dealing with gout? What doc administered treatments have worked for your you? Is asking for a rheumatologist the way to go? For the love of god please don’t come in and say cherries, apple cider vinegar gummies, blah blah if you yourself haven’t used it. Or “my grandpa/uncle/dad did xyz”. I don’t drink. My diet isn’t terrible although I definitely am on the fatter side. I’ve seen a doc four times since Christmas with the same flare up. Finally today able to put on a boot and walk.

Close friend in mid-60s (with history of kidney stones) has had a recent flare-up.  His Doc just told him to drink a shit-ton of water every day.  So far, so good.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

If I feel a gout attack coming on in my foot, I just take a couple of OTC Naproxen pills in the evening. Two more in the morning if the “feeling” doesn’t go away. 
Haven’t had a full blown attack in 10 years after suffering them a couple of times each year for 20 years.

And yeah, the hydrating helps too.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 2

I really need hearing aids. I’m to the point where I’m catching every third word in any type of restaurant or situation with background noise. My wife and kid are getting really tired of me saying “what” and making them repeat themselves. Really good ones are hella expensive, although I understand that hearing aids are or will soon be available over the counter, but who knows how or if that will work with insurance.

On 1/12/2023 at 4:03 PM, Fudbelty said:

Disease of kings.  You are eating too well.  

Allopurinol. Cheap. No side effects that I can tell. I hate taking a pill every day, but more than that I hate when my toe blows up to the size of a softball. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I have dealt with gout for over 31 years with only 2 major attacks.  Primary doctor prescribed Indomethacin to help get rid the attacks. After a few days when the attack subsides, start using allopurinol to keep the Uric acid in check.   300mg pill and I split it in half then take half a pill every other day.  Also, make sure to drink a lot of water each day as it helps to piss out the uric acid.   If you are going to drink alcohol, mix in water as well. 

Good luck

• Like 1