Getting old sucks

Hate

1 hour ago, bborange said:

I have dealt with gout for over 31 years with only 2 major attacks.  Primary doctor prescribed Indomethacin to help get rid the attacks. After a few days when the attack subsides, start using allopurinol to keep the Uric acid in check.   300mg pill and I split it in half then take half a pill every other day.  Also, make sure to drink a lot of water each day as it helps to piss out the uric acid.   If you are going to drink alcohol, mix in water as well. 

Good luck

Never had gout(thank God I've had enough to deal with) but after having several friends that have had it....screw that shit, my heart goes out to anyone suffering from that crap.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, had a cardiac ablation done to tackle my recurring a-fib. I’ve got a great doc, he thinks it went really well and I should have a good result.
But they access the heart through catheters inserted in your groin. So, I’ve got massive bruises there, and it’s tender as hell. And all I can think about is this classic scene:

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

On 1/13/2023 at 7:32 PM, GoPokes83 said:

I really need hearing aids. I’m to the point where I’m catching every third word in any type of restaurant or situation with background noise. My wife and kid are getting really tired of me saying “what” and making them repeat themselves. Really good ones are hella expensive, although I understand that hearing aids are or will soon be available over the counter, but who knows how or if that will work with insurance.

FYI I have several family members that work in insurance. A lot of the hearing aid suppliers pad the bill/scam people into overpaying for them. A lot of hearing aids are covered but fees related to them might not. They tell me of $2400 "fitting fees" which are basically "we'll help you pick one" fees that are not covered by insurance and you're stuck paying it. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Since we seem to lay it all out here..........Anyone have problems with Testosterone? In my 60's and have a lot of the symptoms of low T. But I had it tested and I was way on the upper end of my age group, close to 800. But LH & FSH were high and free T was at the very bottom of the chart. I'm waiting for a consultation with my doc. Looking on Google just brings up a lot of dubious site and sales ads. I did try Google Scholar, which limits your searches to medical research papers. Tons of legitimate information from doctors and research facilities but most of it's in the form of medical files and doesn't translate to us non medical types very well.

34 minutes ago, Crapinon said:

Since we seem to lay it all out here..........Anyone have problems with Testosterone? In my 60's and have a lot of the symptoms of low T. But I had it tested and I was way on the upper end of my age group, close to 800. But LH & FSH were high and free T was at the very bottom of the chart. I'm waiting for a consultation with my doc. Looking on Google just brings up a lot of dubious site and sales ads. I did try Google Scholar, which limits your searches to medical research papers. Tons of legitimate information from doctors and research facilities but most of it's in the form of medical files and doesn't translate to us non medical types very well.

If you have confidence in your doctor go with his recommendations.  I had serious injuries to the jewels whe I was younger(sledge hammer, and a chain breaking). My doctor at the time told me I was very likely to have low T when I got older. 7 or 8 years ago I was having all the symptoms, low energy,fatigue, low libido etc etc. Got tested and like you, total T was in the upper range,  and free testosterone was way low.  On 2 successive visits I tested at 7 and 17. Started doing the injections immediately with good results. My doctor(long time good friend) joked that if it had gotten any worse my wife and I would qualify as a lesbian couple.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

If you have confidence in your doctor go with his recommendations.  I had serious injuries to the jewels whe I was younger(sledge hammer, and a chain breaking). My doctor at the time told me I was very likely to have low T when I got older. 7 or 8 years ago I was having all the symptoms, low energy,fatigue, low libido etc etc. Got tested and like you, total T was in the upper range,  and free testosterone was way low.  On 2 successive visits I tested at 7 and 17. Started doing the injections immediately with good results. My doctor(long time good friend) joked that if it had gotten any worse my wife and I would qualify as a lesbian couple.

Lol! Free T is at 6.6. I suspected that might be it. My Dr is pretty conservative and I just want to have the right conversation with him. Thanks

• Hook 'Em 1

Add this to the list.

Micro injuries which never fucking heal.

I've had tennis elbow for 6 months. Nothing too bad but it's always in pain (2 to 3 out of 10). Took off from playing golf and working out for 3 months. Shit never got better. Said fuck it and started working out and playing golf again. Pain is now 3-5 depending on how hard I worked out the day before. Fuck it, I'll just live with it.

Foot arch pain comes and goes for over 2 years. 

Right knee has gone to shit. I used to run all the time. Can't run anymore. But I can walk on a treadmill on 15 incline on speed 3.0 for an hour. But as soon as I hike downhill, I need hiking poles to take the stress off the knee or it swells up and I can't hike on it for a week. Fucking stupid.

My wife cleaned the walls with a magic eraser 1 year ago. Her thumb became numb and never fucking healed. She's been getting shots in the thumb every few months just to be able to use it. Still can't pick up anything heavy. 

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 1

I got tested. T was low. Started weekly shots a couple months ago. Life changing.
  • Hook 'Em 2

The other day I was in a meeting at work discussing the action that someone took at a mine and I compared it to Slim Pickens riding the nuclear bomb down out of the plane. A couple of the guys laughed out loud at the reference. Two others asked why the laughter?

Me: Have you not seen the movie Dr. Strangelove?

Them: Nope. Who is in it?

Me: Peter Sellers

Them: Who is that?

Me: The Pink Panther!!!

Them: Never heard of him. When was the movie made?

Me: The 60’s.

Them: That explains it.

Me: You guys ruined an awesome reference. Go watch the movie.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mininghorn88 said:

The other day I was in a meeting at work discussing the action that someone took at a mine and I compared it to Slim Pickens riding the nuclear bomb down out of the plane. A couple of the guys laughed out loud at the reference. Two others asked why the laughter?

no-im-not-trump-weird-horse.gif

On 1/12/2023 at 4:03 PM, Fudbelty said:

Anyone round here dealing with gout? What doc administered treatments have worked for your you? Is asking for a rheumatologist the way to go? For the love of god please don’t come in and say cherries, apple cider vinegar gummies, blah blah if you yourself haven’t used it. Or “my grandpa/uncle/dad did xyz”. I don’t drink. My diet isn’t terrible although I definitely am on the fatter side. I’ve seen a doc four times since Christmas with the same flare up. Finally today able to put on a boot and walk.

On 1/31/2023 at 12:08 PM, mininghorn88 said:

I had an intern ask who the Beatles were once.  Dammit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I had an intern ask who the Beatles were once.  Dammit.

In 1988, a buddy and I were out with a couple of flight attendants, at a club. An older pilot they knew was there, and tried to horn in. I said, “Dude,…what were the Beatles like?” He glared and wandered off. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, statsman said:

In 1988, a buddy and I were out with a couple of flight attendants, at a club. An older pilot they knew was there, and tried to horn in. I said, “Dude,…what were the Beatles like?” He glared and wandered off. 

I'd have shot back, "Better than hair metal or techno."  But there was a lot I liked in '88, too.

On 1/27/2023 at 10:46 AM, crash_davis said:

Add this to the list.

Micro injuries which never fucking heal.

I've had tennis elbow for 6 months. Nothing too bad but it's always in pain (2 to 3 out of 10). Took off from playing golf and working out for 3 months. Shit never got better. Said fuck it and started working out and playing golf again. Pain is now 3-5 depending on how hard I worked out the day before. Fuck it, I'll just live with it.

Foot arch pain comes and goes for over 2 years. 

Right knee has gone to shit. I used to run all the time. Can't run anymore. But I can walk on a treadmill on 15 incline on speed 3.0 for an hour. But as soon as I hike downhill, I need hiking poles to take the stress off the knee or it swells up and I can't hike on it for a week. Fucking stupid.

My wife cleaned the walls with a magic eraser 1 year ago. Her thumb became numb and never fucking healed. She's been getting shots in the thumb every few months just to be able to use it. Still can't pick up anything heavy. 

Tennis elbow can take a couple years to heal.  It will eventually.  I had it in my mid 50’s and it took about 22 months or so before I could hit a tennis ball.  My pain was in the 6-7/10 range.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

Tennis elbow can take a couple years to heal.  It will eventually.  I had it in my mid 50’s and it took about 22 months or so before I could hit a tennis ball.  My pain was in the 6-7/10 range.  

I had it from golf.  When I first had the injury, I was playing 4-5 times per week (I took three months off after retiring from the Navy).   I did several 2-3 month stints without swinging and it seemed to get better, but I would always reinjure it after a few rounds.  When it was bad, I had trouble getting into a comfortable sleeping position at night.  I bit the bullet and didn't swing a club for over two years.  Been playing a few times per month for the last year and a half and haven't had another flare up yet.  I doubt the days of playing multiple rounds per week will ever return, which sucks as I get a few years from true retirement.

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

I had it from golf.  When I first had the injury, I was playing 4-5 times per week (I took three months off after retiring from the Navy).   I did several 2-3 month stints without swinging and it seemed to get better, but I would always reinjure it after a few rounds.  When it was bad, I had trouble getting into a comfortable sleeping position at night.  I bit the bullet and didn't swing a club for over two years.  Been playing a few times per month for the last year and a half and haven't had another flare up yet.  I doubt the days of playing multiple rounds per week will ever return, which sucks as I get a few years from true retirement.

That does suck.  In my case I could (and did) play golf during my rehab.  Doctor said it wasn’t hurting it further but I was basically picking the scab.  But tennis was a no go.  Just a few hits—especially a back hand (one handed, of course) and the pain was pretty much unbearable.  I also did months of PT, cortisone shots, shock therapy, and the Graston treatment (basically deep tissue/bone/tendon massage with a dull knife—hurt like hell).  Also did hot water soaks every day and I believe it helped.  I tried icing it and never saw an improvement.  

This sucks major league…..

CV TRANSTHORACIC ECHO LIMITED - Details

About this test

Details

Interpretation Summary

• The study is technically difficult, ultrasound enhancing agent is used for LV assessment.

• Left ventricle is normal in size with concentric hypertrophy. Normal left ventricular systolic function with EF of 66 % by 2D bi-plane method.

• Right ventricle is normal in size with normal systolic function.

• There is moderate to severe aortic stenosis. Calculated AVA may be overestimated due to large LVOT diameter. Peak velocity 3.9 m/s, mean gradient 41 mmHg with a calculated valve area of 1.2 cm2 - utilizing an LVOT diameter of 2.5 cm. The dimensionless index VTI is 0.24, LVOT stroke volume index is 54.7 ml/m2.

• There is mild mitral annular calcification .

• As compared to prior TTE study performed on 7/18/2022, changes noted are Aortic valve gradient has increased. The aortic valve is difficult to see on short axis view.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

This sucks major league…..

CV TRANSTHORACIC ECHO LIMITED - Details

About this test

Details

Interpretation Summary

• The study is technically difficult, ultrasound enhancing agent is used for LV assessment.

• Left ventricle is normal in size with concentric hypertrophy. Normal left ventricular systolic function with EF of 66 % by 2D bi-plane method.

• Right ventricle is normal in size with normal systolic function.

• There is moderate to severe aortic stenosis. Calculated AVA may be overestimated due to large LVOT diameter. Peak velocity 3.9 m/s, mean gradient 41 mmHg with a calculated valve area of 1.2 cm2 - utilizing an LVOT diameter of 2.5 cm. The dimensionless index VTI is 0.24, LVOT stroke volume index is 54.7 ml/m2.

• There is mild mitral annular calcification .

• As compared to prior TTE study performed on 7/18/2022, changes noted are Aortic valve gradient has increased. The aortic valve is difficult to see on short axis view.

I'm no cardiologist, but my takeaway is -- you ain't dead yet!  Carry on.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

The office sounded like a geriatric rehab ward today with everyone limping around with stooped backs and hands that could barely operate a mouse after a weekend of clearing tree limbs courtesy of the ice storm. 

space-jam-remark.gif
(typed while prone on my couch with a heating pad on my back)

• Hook 'Em 2

Of my aches and pains, my shoulders are the worst. A few winters ago, I overworked them busting up ice with an extra heavy digging bar. I should’ve traded it in for a lighter bar by the time I reached my late 50s, but I was in denial (a common theme).

My shoulders have never recovered, and the only way I can keep them from feeling like they will pop out of their sockets is weight lifting. Now that is getting more painful, especially if I take more than a few days off. My right shoulder is worse because of a torn rotator cuff that I never had repaired.

I keep avoiding seeing an orthopedic surgeon because I’m afraid of what he’ll say (back to the denial theme). 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

34 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Of my aches and pains, my shoulders are the worst. A few winters ago, I overworked them busting up ice with an extra heavy digging bar. I should’ve traded it in for a lighter bar by the time I reached my late 50s, but I was in denial (a common theme).

My shoulders have never recovered, and the only way I can keep them from feeling they will pop out of their sockets is weight lifting. Now that is getting more painful, especially if I take more than a few days off. My right shoulder is the worse because of a torn rotator cuff that I never had repaired.

I keep avoiding seeing an orthopedic surgeon because I’m afraid of what he’ll say (back to the denial theme). 

You will regret the avoidance...believe me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

11 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

My shoulders have never recovered, and the only way I can keep them from feeling like they will pop out of their sockets is weight lifting. Now that is getting more painful, especially if I take more than a few days off. My right shoulder is worse because of a torn rotator cuff that I never had repaired.

he is going to tell you that you need should replacement surgery.....when the pain gets bad enough, you will agree to get them fixed.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Checking in.
Last Saturday squatted. Which I seldom do anymore because of my back. Felt a little stiffness in my left knee on Sunday. Not unusual since I've had surgery on that knee.
Monday rode my mtn bike. Overnight Monday my knee looked like it had a grapefruit in it. Figured it was just overuse. So I stared ice and anti-inflammatories. Not much help and the pain was excruciating.
My ortho buddy was in surgery that day so he got me into their walk in ortho.
PA took out 100cc. But wouldn't do an injection because the fluid didn't look right. And I was running a low grade fever. So infection was unlikely but they don't want to inject it if for some reason it actually is an infection. 800mg ibu and tramadol. Helped a little but it swelled right back up so any movement at all was so freaking painful. Little to no sleep these last 5 days. I kind of understand getting addicted to narcotics because I would have shot heroin for some pain relief.

Labs back last night. No infection but confirmed psuedogout.
Went back into walkin. Dr on duty drained another 100cc and steroid shot.

I feel like a new man this morning. Getting old sucks.

Edited by midtown

I've posted on here before about my dual shoulder replacement (both in 12 months). The pain made life extremely tough, and while that sucked, getting them replaced was a decision I do not regret. Life is just different w/o pain now. Do not wait bud, PT sucks, and surgery sucks but you only get one life. Live it as much as you can.

The scars are pretty cool, especially if you can incorporate them within a tattoo. d49036fd359dfd3eb6f80034332f00c5.jpgd102671b791a2b7f59ecf7e293ca9a98.jpg

46282950a551252170c81bc356af09fc.jpg
  • Like 2