Getting old sucks

Hate

My friend's wife was at her boot camp workout place today and one of the guys in her class had a massive heart attack and died, right on the spot. There was a nurse in the class and they immediately went to work on him but he was a goner. He was in his early 50s. My friends and I are all late 40s and we're freaking out a bit. Fuck!

• Rage+1 1

*hear

& Welcome back, @Bevoette

My Orthopedist (I'm sure some of y'all know Frosty) tells me I'm getting "Cowboy shoulders".  I stopped wearing my Resistol when I drive & it's helped me to sit straight in the seat.  I also have some quick stretches that I should do 1st thing in the AM, but I keep forgetting to do them.

23 minutes ago, Bevoette said:

That snap crackle and pop you here in the morning isn't  Rice Krispies it's your old ass getting out of bed.  Aka me 

Me, too.  A couple of days ago I was getting out of bed and my right knee popped so loud that I thought I broke my leg.  No pain, no break, just a loud crack.  Damnedest thing.

23 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Me, too.  A couple of days ago I was getting out of bed and my right knee popped so loud that I thought I broke my leg.  No pain, no break, just a loud crack.  Damnedest thing.

I told my coworker the other day I snap and pop so much i should shine like a freaking glow stick

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2022 at 6:56 PM, Born to Run said:

Yes sir. Before covid I felt great, was surfing, skiing, running, hiking abd banging younger broads.

Shredded my knee so I'm the old crippled dude at the gym for 6 months but can't wait to get back to Yoga class, it's a goal.

Kneeovertoes guy is legit.  Mine started to creak/pop from too much sled work and rucking.  Signed up and every ache I had went away.  

Once you are able to start PT, give him a look.  One of my favorite workouts is the backwards sled pull.  Now I end every workout with a push/pull routine on the sled.

On 6/10/2022 at 3:37 PM, Sandman said:

My friend's wife was at her boot camp workout place today and one of the guys in her class had a massive heart attack and died, right on the spot. There was a nurse in the class and they immediately went to work on him but he was a goner. He was in his early 50s. My friends and I are all late 40s and we're freaking out a bit. Fuck!

Sounds like the widow maker heart attack.  Often no warning and it’s very hard to detect even with scans, stress tests, etc.  I’ve just had my third friend die from one.  

13 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Sounds like the widow maker heart attack.  Often no warning and it’s very hard to detect even with scans, stress tests, etc.  I’ve just had my third friend die from one.  

My dad had the widow maker in 2016. He was at the grocery store but he managed to drive home, get the "cold stuff" put away and then had my nephew take him to the hospital. Why he didn't get an abulance at the store is beyond me. One triple bypass later, he's still hanging around. No clue how he made it. The doc told us at the time that it wasn't looking good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Sandman, glad he made it.  One of my friends died in his sleep and the other two basically died instantly.  One was on a date and dropped dead and the other was driving with his wife and he slumped over and was gone.  Luckily, she wasn’t injured.  They all were otherwise healthy with no known issues and did their routine physicals and generally took care of themselves.  When your number is up, it’s up.  

My sister's ex husband was working out in his home with a trainer and had a massive heart attack.  Trainer tried to revive him to no avail.  He was 51. 

8 hours ago, dcbc said:

My sister's ex husband was working out in his home with a trainer and had a massive heart attack.  Trainer tried to revive him to no avail.  He was 51. 

I am 47 and in reasonable health.   A sudden death is pretty much the best case scenario at this point.

• Hook 'Em 4

9 hours ago, dcbc said:

That's exactly what happened a few years ago to the guy whose fake ID I used in college.  That was one of the first indicators I might be getting old.   

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, HouTex said:

10 hours ago, Sandman said:

My dad had the widow maker in 2016. He was at the grocery store but he managed to drive home, get the "cold stuff" put away and then had my nephew take him to the hospital. Why he didn't get an abulance at the store is beyond me. One triple bypass later, he's still hanging around. No clue how he made it. The doc told us at the time that it wasn't looking good. 

10 hours ago, HouTex said:

Sandman, glad he made it.  One of my friends died in his sleep and the other two basically died instantly.  One was on a date and dropped dead and the other was driving with his wife and he slumped over and was gone.  Luckily, she wasn’t injured.  They all were otherwise healthy with no known issues and did their routine physicals and generally took care of themselves.  When your number is up, it’s up.  

10 hours ago, dcbc said:

55 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

That's exactly what happened a few years ago to the guy whose fake ID I used in college.  That was one of the first indicators I might be getting old.   

Lately this has become way too common of an occurrence and I fucking hate it. I'm just shy of 50 and recently mentioned it to a friend of mine who is a handful of years older than me. The first part of his response was, "Prepare for it to get exponentially worse".  

Good times

On 6/29/2022 at 10:38 AM, Sandman said:

Sounds like my pops. No way he'd let any food go to waste. He also would have made sure the yard was cut first and then called his buddy to say he may not make it to their twice weekly tee time. Would have said an ambulance would be 'too damn expensive '. 

He worked for a very large chemical company and there was an article in the company newsletter about him taking exactly 0 sick days in 40 years. There is no doubt those guys born in the depression and went on to fight ww2 were tough mofos. RiP Dad

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Sounds like my pops. No way he'd let any food go to waste. He also would have made sure the yard was cut first and then called his buddy to say he may not make it to their twice weekly tee time. Would have said an ambulance would be 'too damn expensive '. 

He worked for a very large chemical company and there was an article in the company newsletter about him taking exactly 0 sick days in 40 years. There is no doubt those guys born in the depression and went on to fight ww2 were tough mofos. RiP Dad

I have missed 3 days of work due to illness in 33 years.  Picked up strep throat on a trip to China and was sick upon my return and then got ill after a trip to Mongolia.  Now finding some wood to knock on.

0 days out of 40 is crazy.  But they is how those guys did it.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, dcbc said:

CT Calcium scan for all of you guys in your mid to late 40s.  It will give you an idea of where things stand.

This here. It also gives a clear look at the lungs too.

75 bucks and ~5 minutes to (hopefully) ease your mind. 

Edited by smuggs
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’ve never had any major allergies other than mild seasonal stuff.  Right before I turned 50, I started getting hives all over with no easily identifiable cause.  Now I’ll randomly wake up with my lips or eyelids swollen like Hitch.  Looks like I might have to start monthly shots.    Yay.