Getting old sucks

Hate

On 9/15/2022 at 5:08 AM, mininghorn88 said:

I had to do this a few years ago. I was diagnosed with SVT. My heart will race 7 or 8 times a year on average. If I stay hydrated that seems to keep it under control for me. Once it does start to race I know how to bring it back under control. I am also on meds to keep it under control too. An ablation is an option but have opted to stick with meds for now.

What kind of meds are you on?

My previous GP prescribed 10mg Inderal on an as-needed basis. It's a beta blocker, but also helps with heart rate and arrhythmia.

That dosage is pretty low, but it can help bring my heart rate down about 10-15 BPM.  When I've been REALLY stressed at work, I'll take 2, but that's rare. (work is actually my happy place).

One time I took a second one when I didn't need it, and by heart rate dropped into the 50s. I felt really dizzy and could barely stand up straight. I went to my car and slept it off, but it took a few hours to get back to normal.

8 minutes ago, Superhero said:

What kind of meds are you on?

My previous GP prescribed 10mg Inderal on an as-needed basis. It's a beta blocker, but also helps with heart rate and arrhythmia.

That dosage is pretty low, but it can help bring my heart rate down about 10-15 BPM.  When I've been REALLY stressed at work, I'll take 2, but that's rare. (work is actually my happy place).

One time I took a second one when I didn't need it, and by heart rate dropped into the 50s. I felt really dizzy and could barely stand up straight. I went to my car and slept it off, but it took a few hours to get back to normal.

I take a daily dose of Lisinopril 10mg and Metoprolol 25mg.

I was a little bit under the weather last week, and liked a dumbass, got the flu shot. I had flu like symptoms, then proceeded to get her even more sick because my 7 year old superspreader came back with yet another cold.

My nose is congested and I had an sinus headache all day long. 6 Motrins didn’t help. I’m freaking miserable. 

7 hours ago, Da Fino said:

Don’t fuck around with dizziness. Ignored it for a couple days after having some pressure in my ears. In the ER now waiting for a transfer because apparently I have a small brain bleed. I’m terrified.

Glad you’re getting it addressed. Praying for minimal effects and for peace in the middle of the storm. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Da Fino said:

Don’t fuck around with dizziness. Ignored it for a couple days after having some pressure in my ears. In the ER now waiting for a transfer because apparently I have a small brain bleed. I’m terrified.

Transfer for what?  Your brain?  😃  Glad it sounds like you got things worked out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

18 months ago I realized I need reading glasses.  Gonna fight that until I'm 70.  Wish me luck.

If you wear contacts for distance, they can decrease one of the contacts to match the magnification of the readers.  Your eyes adapt and you can go on without readers.  Just one eye doesn't do distance as well.  YMMV.

I’m about ready to park my ass in an old folks home and ride out my days. Started PT today for herniated discs, shoulder surgery last week for a deltoid issue, elbow/hand surgery later next month for a nerve issue, and the hits keep coming. I told my wife last night I had to come up with some good stories to tell my future young girlfriends for the 5 substantial scars in 11 months after making it through 43 years unscathed.

Anyone have some good hobby recommendations for a 44 year old going on 75 apparently that has had to give up water sports, golf, trail riding, etc?

On 8/16/2022 at 1:34 AM, RPM said:

I just had a great laugh. Sitting at work and the guy beside me is talking about his camping trip over the weekend. "Man, they weren't kidding about turning 30. Everything hurts." I laughed my ass off and told him "You have no clue what is coming down the pike." I wish I was 30 again, I would buy every shred of Apple stock I could get my hands on.

Have a client that bought $5,000 in Apple stock with an IRA contribution in the early 90’s. $18M when he died last year having never sold any.

• Like 4

I’m about ready to park my ass in an old folks home and ride out my days. Started PT today for herniated discs, shoulder surgery last week for a deltoid issue, elbow/hand surgery later next month for a nerve issue, and the hits keep coming. I told my wife last night I had to come up with some good stories to tell my future young girlfriends for the 5 substantial scars in 11 months after making it through 43 years unscathed.
Anyone have some good hobby recommendations for a 44 year old going on 75 apparently that has had to give up water sports, golf, trail riding, etc?

Bingo??
  • Haha 1

Was riding in the car with the wife and kids the other day and my oldest (11) asks my wife to put his playlist on the stereo from her phone.  She obliges.  A song comes on I've never heard before but my wife knows all the words.  I look at the dashboard screen and it says the artist is Post Malone.  I know who Post Malone is, but I wouldn't recognize any of his music or know any of his lyrics by heart, like my wife apparently does.  So I ask her, "How do you know the words to a Post Malone song?"  She said, "This was the most popular song in the radio like three years ago."  Post Malone, the guy who looks like a fat Hasidic Jewish homeless drug addict had a number one song on the radio.  Huh.

• Haha 2

Was riding in the car with the wife and kids the other day and my oldest (11) asks my wife to put his playlist on the stereo from her phone.  She obliges.  A song comes on I've never heard before but my wife knows all the words.  I look at the dashboard screen and it says the artist is Post Malone.  I know who Post Malone is, but I wouldn't recognize any of his music or know any of his lyrics by heart, like my wife apparently does.  So I ask her, "How do you know the words to a Post Malone song?"  She said, "This was the most popular song in the radio like three years ago."  Post Malone, the guy who looks like a fat Hasidic Jewish homeless drug addict had a number one song on the radio.  Huh.

You prolly think that you are better now, better now
You only say that 'cause I'm not around, not around
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

36 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I just “discovered “ Queen a couple of years ago… after I quit listening to pop music when the Beatles broke up and Elvis got fat.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Brew said:

Yeah...get a double room, we can save some money. 

53 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Yeah...get a double room, we can save some money. 

F-ing sucks, back has been okay for the last week or so while I’ve been resting my shoulder from surgery. Started PT yesterday, back flared up seriously today. Think I may buckle and call a buddy that is a chiropractor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Well...made my way to an urgent care clinic today (my doc is closed today) and they confirmed blood in my urine. She mentioned that blood tests need to be done to confirm rhabdomyoma but it's probable. So here I am pounding water to flush toxins per their recommendations. If it doesn't get better tomorrow, I'll head to the ER.

Worked called and they are already short-handed and I fly our red eye Sunday am. Always something. 8c9babd03cd0150adbda660e170ac408.jpg
So finally had my doc appt today for the 8 days of blood in my urine last month. All my labs were normal and doc thinks I was on the cusp of having a heat stroke and my body was shutting down.

She told me to stop being stubborn and listen to my body and drink Gatorade before and after I start/finish any future projects. Note to self, wait until October to build a fence.
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 10/6/2022 at 4:12 PM, Mother mopar said:

So finally had my doc appt today for the 8 days of blood in my urine last month. All my labs were normal and doc thinks I was on the cusp of having a heat stroke and my body was shutting down.

She told me to stop being stubborn and listen to my body and drink Gatorade before and after I start/finish any future projects. Note to self, wait until October to build a fence.

Tom Herman definitely does not approve of that. And what month is it where you live?

I thought I would try riding a bicycle for exercise. (hadn't been one for 30+ years). So I buy a used one off a dude that's older than me, he said "I can't ride it anymore". It is a nice bike, he said it was a hybrid, 24 gears, disk brakes I mean a really nice bike. ( last bike I owned was a Sears 10 speed 1970-71). I take it home check the tire pressure, raise the seat (previous owner was a short guy), grease the chain and check the brakes. I get on the thing in the driveway and all the sudden the fear of God hits me right between the eyes, I'm thinking just make it up the street and back. Off I go up the street and back to the driveway, I make it!!, then around the block I go and I make that! pretty proud of myself. Didn't want to push my luck so I parked it for the day, seat really hurt my ass, so I go buy a padded wider seat and mark a mile off in my truck. The next day I do a mile and have been building up further and further, I have a 5 mile track through my hood now and going 6+ miles at least every other day. I ride at times when I know the traffic will be low and hit the sidewalks not to impede anyone driving....Just one thing that I have noticed, I can't seem to force myself to stand up and pump the peddles hard (something in the back of my head says...if you do that you will bust your ass!)

anybody got any suggestions?

14 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

I thought I would try riding a bicycle for exercise. (hadn't been one for 30+ years). So I buy a used one off a dude that's older than me, he said "I can't ride it anymore". It is a nice bike, he said it was a hybrid, 24 gears, disk brakes I mean a really nice bike. ( last bike I owned was a Sears 10 speed 1970-71). I take it home check the tire pressure, raise the seat (previous owner was a short guy), grease the chain and check the brakes. I get on the thing in the driveway and all the sudden the fear of God hits me right between the eyes, I'm thinking just make it up the street and back. Off I go up the street and back to the driveway, I make it!!, then around the block I go and I make that! pretty proud of myself. Didn't want to push my luck so I parked it for the day, seat really hurt my ass, so I go buy a padded wider seat and mark a mile off in my truck. The next day I do a mile and have been building up further and further, I have a 5 mile track through my hood now and going 6+ miles at least every other day. I ride at times when I know the traffic will be low and hit the sidewalks not to impede anyone driving....Just one thing that I have noticed, I can't seem to force myself to stand up and pump the peddles hard (something in the back of my head says...if you do that you will bust your ass!)

anybody got any suggestions?

Just keep at it.  You will get more and more comfortable.  In my experience, saddle soreness goes away after a few weeks.  Wear a helmet - falling and banging your head on the curb can kill you just as well as being hit by a bus.

• Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, RPM said:

Got to take a blood test at 8am and have to fast for 8 hours. Of course they serve prime rib and risotto for lunch. I'm taking it home and will massacre it post-test.

20221020_035956.jpg

Fuck it, slaughter it pre test. Of course full disclosure,  I hate and distrust doctors right now.

• Hook 'Em 2

Talk at work the other day turned to super bowl memories. I said I remember in super bowl 13 almost putting my foot through the television when a wide open Jackie Smith dropped a TD pass from Staubach that would have tied the game.

Everybody was like super bowl 13? You remember watching super bowl 13? Damn you old.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Talk at work the other day turned to super bowl memories. I said I remember in super bowl 13 almost putting my foot through the television when a wide open Jackie Smith dropped a TD pass from Staubach that would have tied the game.

Everybody was like super bowl 13? You remember watching super bowl 13? Damn you old.

I was 9 years old and we were watching the game with friends of my parents who were Steelers fans.  I remember it and the lessons learned quite vividly after all of these decades.  Young Jerry was talking all kinds of trash after the Cowboys beat the Broncos the year before.  Nine year olds are not very good at eating crow.  To this fine day, my trash talking is reasonably tempered - mostly focused on indisputable things like OU Sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

So how old are you if you remember Jackie played for a long time with the Cardinals before that season? Asking for uhmmm...my dad...?

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I saw Don Meredith and Bart Starr play in the Cotton Bowl. And I remember screaming at the TV when Craig Morton threw an interception to end the game in SB V. I'm going to go take a nap now.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Crapinon said:

I saw Don Meredith and Bart Starr play in the Cotton Bowl. And I remember screaming at the TV when Craig Morton threw an interception to end the game in SB V. I'm going to go take a nap now.

Ok you win....but before the nap you better make sure those damn kids aren't messing up your yard 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Crapinon said:

I remember watching the ice bowl at my Aunt's house.  We watched it there, because they had a new color tv.

On 9/21/2022 at 8:37 AM, Jerry Callo said:

If you wear contacts for distance, they can decrease one of the contacts to match the magnification of the readers.  Your eyes adapt and you can go on without readers.  Just one eye doesn't do distance as well.  YMMV.

This. Life changing. 

On 10/20/2022 at 8:35 PM, Crapinon said:

This guy was playing QB in the first Longhorn game I attended at Memorial Stadium in 1959 (Texas 33 - Cal 0). It was raining, and the crowd numbered 20,000.

Mike Cotten was the other UT QB.

8D11DB43-638B-49CB-95F8-713D3DD40412.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 10/20/2022 at 8:35 PM, Crapinon said:

Never went to a Cowboys game at the Cotton Bowl, but watched a few on TV. Remember watching Super Bowl (There were no numbers then) on CBS and NBC at the same f'n time.

So….has anyone around here ever had an eye floater? Yesterday I thought something got in my eye doing yard work. Took my contacts out, showered and put in some eye drops even though I couldn’t fell or see anything looking at it in the mirror.

It’s this little speck that literally floats from the outside periphery into the middle then back.

Supposedly not all that uncommon and unless coupled with other symptoms not a sign of anything terrible. Also more prevalent over age 50 so thought I’d ask you old farts about it.