Getting old sucks

Hate

How long was your recovery? IOW, how will it affect my Senior MMA fight schedule. 
6 months of PT and you're back to living a normal life. A year and you're like nothing ever happened. My doc told me to be careful with backloading the joint, such as bench press exercises. That's the biggest issue he has seen w/folks. I'm a big dude 6'4", 275 and my days of throwing weights around are over.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

6 months of PT and you're back to living a normal life. A year and you're like nothing ever happened. My doc told me to be careful with backloading the joint, such as beach press exercises. That's the biggest issue he has seen w/folks. I'm a big dude 6'4", 275 and my days of throwing weights around are over.

When I had rotator cuff surgery my doctor said never do any compound movements where your elbows bend more than 90 degrees. It puts too much pressure on them. He also said I had arthritis in my shoulders so I'm thinking that replacement surgery is in my future. Good to know that it's something you can recover from.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crapinon said:

When I had rotator cuff surgery my doctor said never do any compound movements where your elbows bend more than 90 degrees. It puts too much pressure on them. He also said I had arthritis in my shoulders so I'm thinking that replacement surgery is in my future. Good to know that it's something you can recover from.   

Could he do anything for the arthritis while doing the rotator cuff surgery? I realize it would be temporary if he did 

22 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Could he do anything for the arthritis while doing the rotator cuff surgery? I realize it would be temporary if he did 

He said he cleaned it up, whatever than entailed. But I only had one shoulder done so the other one is still not good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but the way they both hurt most of the time, I'm thinking surgery is eventually going to be necessary. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

I have SVT. Have always been able to mostly control it with meds. The doctor said that the older I get the ability to control it with meds decreases. I am going to have an ablation done in mid-March. I know that it is a “regular routine” procedure but I am still not looking forward to it.

It isn't that bad. They get you in the room, give you some happy juice and it's all over with before you know it. The worst part was getting my groin shaved beforehand with an electric razor because I'm so ungodly ticklish in my nether regions. It's absolutely worth not having to deal with the episodes of SVT that I was dealing with. You'll be happy with getting it done. 

5 hours ago, Crapinon said:

Too much pressure on your elbows or your surgically repaired rotator cuffs?

59 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Too much pressure on your elbows or your surgically repaired rotator cuffs?

On the repaired rotator cuff. I tore it doing weighted dips. I don't know the mechanics of it all but he said I would eventually tear the left one and possibly re-injure the right one if I continue to do anything that went past 90 degrees on my elbows.  

12 hours ago, Crapinon said:

On the repaired rotator cuff. I tore it doing weighted dips. I don't know the mechanics of it all but he said I would eventually tear the left one and possibly re-injure the right one if I continue to do anything that went past 90 degrees on my elbows.  

Did 1000s of dips in my youth for off-season etc and did weighted dips following that. I use the Hammer Strength apparatus for dips from time to time  but haven't done traditional dips in years . Decided to hop on the dip bar a couple weeks ago for grins and shoulders/ biceps insertion area immediately screamed NO FUCKING WAY! 

• Hook 'Em 2

Yesterday the cardiologist began the process of referring me to the surgeon for the aorta valve replacement procedure. 
 That initial appointment will be in about six weeks. It is not an emergency, but they want to do it sooner rather than later - otherwise with the way it is “progressing “ she said I would probably assume room temperature in three years.
Sharpen your scalpels Doc!

We dined out yesterday afternoon for Valentine’s Day…. No crowds.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 7

Had an MRI today on my right shoulder. Been having pain for 8-9 months. Tried to rest it. Got one cortisone injection and it only helped for a couple of days. The MRI fucking SUCKED. I'm a little claustrophobic, I guess, but the enclosed space plus the noise was enough to almost freak me out. I was in that MF for like 45 minutes. Anyway, torn labrum. Surgery with 6 month recovery time or live with the pain. Good times.

• Rage+1 2

6 hours ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Had an MRI today on my right shoulder. Been having pain for 8-9 months. Tried to rest it. Got one cortisone injection and it only helped for a couple of days. The MRI fucking SUCKED. I'm a little claustrophobic, I guess, but the enclosed space plus the noise was enough to almost freak me out. I was in that MF for like 45 minutes. Anyway, torn labrum. Surgery with 6 month recovery time or live with the pain. Good times.

The first time I had an mri, I heard the doctor ask the technician “is he going to make it or do you think he’s going to pull himself out of the machine?” I made it through my shoulder mri in an open machine only because the tech came out and held my hand to make sure I didn’t come out of it. I finally found a doctor that would prescribe me Valium. One the night before, one the morning of and one an hour before the mri. Next time tell your doctor you need something to make it through.  It’s the only way I can make it through one. 

29 minutes ago, Crapinon said:

The first time I had an mri, I heard the doctor ask the technician “is he going to make it or do you think he’s going to pull himself out of the machine?” I made it through my shoulder mri in an open machine only because the tech came out and held my hand to make sure I didn’t come out of it. I finally found a doctor that would prescribe me Valium. One the night before, one the morning of and one an hour before the mri. Next time tell your doctor you need something to make it through.  It’s the only way I can make it through one. 

I catnapped through half of my last MRI in spite of all the racket.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

You know, there's definitely advantages to getting old.

Like knowing about shit. How to cook amazing food. How to fix my own car. How to coach someone without preaching.

Not all the decisions I've made in life were bad, and today I'm reaping some of that harvest in my career. I'm well paid in a job I enjoy that doesn't demand I sacrifice family time. Can't be beat.

I've gotten over a LOT of my hangups with people. Used to be a preachy dickhead. Now I'm all "you do you."

And physical pain is a sign I'm still alive. I'm fucking winning. Every minute I'm ahead of the Reaper is a good minute.

No, I'm not going to be the first one to hit 10k burpees. I'm well off pace to even make it. But I'm going to keep on until December 31st, and won't give up until that day. I already see big benefits from the effort, even if my body can't do it so well and takes longer to recover.

Yeah. I can't say being old is the best time of my life or anything, but it's got its advantages...

when harry met sally ill have what shes having GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

I was talking to my coworker, we've both been working here for almost 15 years. We were discussing this guy that used to come in all the time and how he had died some years ago. I remember rolling my eyes at the old women that used to work here when they'd blab about some person from 1987. But it dawned on me that we were now the old people in the office, standing around talking about shit that happened a decade ago, but no other employees have been here long enough to remember this one guy. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

I get up every morning a little before 6. I am ready to go as soon as I get up. I am thankful for that because I see people who are cranky and their body just is a wreck at times. I work in the morning and early afternoon so most of my co-workers are my age or older. Interacting with the younger folks is fairly easy to do when they are around, but the mentality is completely different. 

I'm just about the oldest one at my work. I constantly realize that there's so much drama and useless stuff that get people all worked up about, and I just don't give a shit anymore. I used to react the same way, and get all upset and stressed. Now, I've adapted the "life is too fucking short" approach to get worked up about useless crap. That phrase pretty much dictates my entire life. A colleague will come to me and ask if something somebody said or did upset me. Nope. It's not worth my energy. One of the perks about getting old, I guess. Life is too fucking short so concentrate on what makes you happy and let the rest go. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I was talking about a deal I worked on a while back to one of our younger guys. Turns out he was in 7th fucking grade when I did that deal. Fuck.

Did you tell him about how fax paper used to curl up? After you explained what a fax machine was, I mean 

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 2/16/2023 at 10:41 AM, Rimbo said:

You know, there's definitely advantages to getting old.

Like knowing about shit. How to cook amazing food. How to fix my own car. How to coach someone without preaching.

Not all the decisions I've made in life were bad, and today I'm reaping some of that harvest in my career. I'm well paid in a job I enjoy that doesn't demand I sacrifice family time. Can't be beat.

I've gotten over a LOT of my hangups with people. Used to be a preachy dickhead. Now I'm all "you do you."

And physical pain is a sign I'm still alive. I'm fucking winning. Every minute I'm ahead of the Reaper is a good minute.

No, I'm not going to be the first one to hit 10k burpees. I'm well off pace to even make it. But I'm going to keep on until December 31st, and won't give up until that day. I already see big benefits from the effort, even if my body can't do it so well and takes longer to recover.

Yeah. I can't say being old is the best time of my life or anything, but it's got its advantages...

Don't you just hate mother fuckers like this? lol

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/15/2023 at 6:43 PM, Armybrat said:

I catnapped through half of my last MRI in spite of all the racket.

Yeah, I don't know what it is about them. It's totally irrational. I tried to prepare myself for one once by crawling under my jeep (to simulate  close quarters) while I listened to MRI noises. I made it about 2 minutes. Closing my eyes doesn't help, but lots of valium does. 

19 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I was writing Lotus spreadsheets before he was born.

Yeah, I deal a lot with the renewables industry and 80% of the guys are young. I'll start talking about something from the 80's or early 90's and they say " That was 10 years before I was born". It really hits home when I remember I've been full time, real job, employed for 40 years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Sandman said:

I was talking to my coworker, we've both been working here for almost 15 years. We were discussing this guy that used to come in all the time and how he had died some years ago. I remember rolling my eyes at the old women that used to work here when they'd blab about some person from 1987. But it dawned on me that we were now the old people in the office, standing around talking about shit that happened a decade ago, but no other employees have been here long enough to remember this one guy. 

I still like to tell any new (to me) healthcare person (doctor, nurse, tech) who is poking around on my carcass that the first doctor I remember giving me a shot in the late 1940s had graduated medical school prior to the 1898 War with Spain.

Also, I have some fillings in my teeth put there by an old fellow who was a US Army dentist during that same war.

Both old gents were in my grandparents rural Missouri hometown.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yeah, I deal a lot with the renewables industry and 80% of the guys are young. I'll start talking about something from the 80's or early 90's and they say " That was 10 years before I was born". It really hits home when I remember I've been full time, real job, employed for 40 years. 

30 here.

Same young guy I was talking about just today got busted by IT downloading pretty much every deal file we have off the network onto a thumb drive. He’s gonna have some ‘splainin to do Lucy 1st thing Tuesday morning.

Dumbass.
  • Rage+1 1

On 2/20/2023 at 3:04 AM, GoPokes83 said:

In the last 8 months or so every time I drink any alcohol in the evening I wake up around 2 am and can’t go back to sleep. Wide awake! Stopped me from drinking? Nope! But it’s becoming a factor in my decision to have a couple or not.

Yes, I’ve reached the point in the the last couple of years that any alcohol at all completely wrecks my sleep. Even a glass of wine at dinner ruins it. The days of enjoying one of my many very nice whiskys once or twice a week are long gone. I’ll still have one with a cigar with my son and sons-in-law, but that will ruin me for a week. 

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 2/18/2023 at 7:17 AM, tbone_ said:

Never had a party line. Nor did I have to climb to the top of the telephone pole like Green Acres.

We had a party line until they did away with them. For years our phone line was just laying in the barditch for a half mile. Every time the state mowed the grass we went without a phone for a week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We had a party line for a long time.   I was a transfer student and the school district was on a different exchange.  My parents would not let me call any girls at my school because of the cost.  So, I had to cruise the Dairy Queen/sonic in another small town that was closer to the farm and on the same exchange.  

8 hours ago, midtown said:

I spent 6 hours yesterday site seeing in panama. Walking. Getting in an out of a van 30 times. Standing in line. I feel like I was in a car accident

I was in London a couple of months ago, did a lot of walking. After the second day, my left knee felt like it was full of broken glass and both calves screamed when using stairs. I felt much better a couple of days later but to this day, my knee explodes when I straighten it out. 

• Rage+1 1

18 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

In the last 8 months or so every time I drink any alcohol in the evening I wake up around 2 am and can’t go back to sleep. Wide awake! Stopped me from drinking? Nope! But it’s becoming a factor in my decision to have a couple or not.

I have the same problem.  I used to drink an average of two glasses of wine a night and that shit started happening.  Now I'm 2 or maybe 3 vodka/tonics on Friday night and that's about it.

3 hours ago, Sandman said:

I was in London a couple of months ago, did a lot of walking. After the second day, my left knee felt like it was full of broken glass and both calves screamed when using stairs. I felt much better a couple of days later but to this day, my knee explodes when I straighten it out. 

I went to Europe for the first time in '96 and let's just say I planned for some serious sightseeing.  By the time I got to Rome I could barely walk.