Getting old sucks

Hate

13 hours ago, midtown said:

I've completely stop drinking on the weekdays mostly just due to wanting good sleep

I spent 6 hours yesterday site seeing in panama. Walking. Getting in an out of a van 30 times. Standing in line. I feel like I was in a car accident

Yep. Friday I was cutting firewood from leftover tree tops where we had some of our acreage logged.  Cut about 35-40 pieces and the next day I felt like I'd been through the first two a day practice in high school.  Fuuùuuuck, could barely move.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I just bought $275 of post-op shit I will need once and never again. Wasn't covered by VA, but I have a HSA that's just been sitting around doing squat for 10 years. But hey I'll have a cool ice chest cold pack thingy. That has to have some practical use involving beer later.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Hang in there.  Looks like life is going to suck for the foreseeable future.

Went in for rotator cuff, but he found a lot more garbage. The sucky thing is when they called in my pain script CVS went to lunch when we got there. Used medtranspo to get to the Surg Center and back, I can't drive until tomorrow. Mat say fuck it and drive to Decatur anyway. I know a good lawyer.

16 minutes ago, RPM said:

Went in for rotator cuff, but he found a lot more garbage. The sucky thing is when they called in my pain script CVS went to lunch when we got there. Used medtranspo to get to the Surg Center and back, I can't drive until tomorrow. Mat say fuck it and drive to Decatur anyway. I know a good lawyer.

Man, be careful with those pain meds. Use them wisely. Weaning myself off from them after my shoulder surgery in 2006 was really, really hard. Was a serious wake-up call for me on using opioids. 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, nnm said:

Man, be careful with those pain meds. Use them wisely. Weaning myself off from them after my shoulder surgery in 2006 was really, really hard. Was a serious wake-up call for me on using opioids. 

No problemo. I don't like opioids, they screw with my gut and I have enough problems there. Self medicating with high levels of thc on the other hand...

On 2/22/2023 at 11:14 AM, RPM said:

I just bought $275 of post-op shit I will need once and never again. Wasn't covered by VA, but I have a HSA that's just been sitting around doing squat for 10 years. But hey I'll have a cool ice chest cold pack thingy. That has to have some practical use involving beer later.

Yes I have that same system around here somewhere. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I run an opiod disposal company so let me know if you want to rid yourself of any.

Get better brother.

When I had my rotator cuff surgery about 12 years ago I was sore as fuck for a couple of days. I could take 2 Vicodin every 6 hours and I did. It really helped and they don't really bother me for which I am grateful.

• Hook 'Em 1

Hang in there, man. For the next few days, take the pain meds as prescribed to the minute, even if you are not hurting when it is time to take one. Supplement with whatever they allowed you to take (Tylenol, Advil, etc.).  Keep that ice machine full of ice and pumping. It really does make a difference

4 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

43.  Took one quick step about to start jogging yesterday and felt a big pop and like I got shot in the left calf, then could not put any pressure on my left leg.  I’m fucking crippled. Reading about torn calf it says I could be out for anywhere from 2 to 12 weeks.  Wtf.

Hope it's just a calf strain, and not a full blown achilles.  Google "thompson test achilles" for a very low tech test to see if its still connected or not.  either way, life will suck for a bit.  Go get it checked and get the appropriate walking boot with the heel evevated, and hope that's all you need an not surgery.

On 2/25/2023 at 12:41 PM, SurlyGator said:

Hope it's just a calf strain, and not a full blown achilles.  Google "thompson test achilles" for a very low tech test to see if its still connected or not.  either way, life will suck for a bit.  Go get it checked and get the appropriate walking boot with the heel evevated, and hope that's all you need a not surgery.

Went to urgent care this morning, looks like a grade 2 tear; doc said Achilles and tendons all look/feel good.  Crutches for 2 weeks then doing whatever I can as tolerated.  Still sucks.  Chasing my little daughters around has not been fun this weekend.  Shit like this sure does make waiting to have kids until my late 30s seem like a bad idea.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 8:00 AM, Snake Diggity said:

43.  Took one quick step about to start jogging yesterday and felt a big pop and like I got shot in the left calf, then could not put any pressure on my left leg.  I’m fucking crippled. Reading about torn calf it says I could be out for anywhere from 2 to 12 weeks.  Wtf.

Did that about 7 years ago going up a loading ramp at work. That damned thing turned black, and blue and purple from the top of my foot to just above my knee.

*of course I'm sure being on blood thinners didn't help.

So, the woman who taught me literature in jr. high, and went on to become the school principal, serving the school in total for 44 years, died today.  It was the church school for the church that I was baptized in, a LONG time ago.  She served, literally, generations of kids.  She loved them, she educated them, she sent them out into the world.  Some to fail, but so many to succeed.  She retired only a year or so ago, and then the cancer got her.

She was good, and kind, and the type of person this world needs a lot more of.  And I'm thinking about her at my desk right now, and big fat tears just keep coming.  I hadn't seen her or talked to her in over 30 years (although I had occasionally sent her money to contribute to some school fundraiser, and we'd traded a message or two).  But she was good.  And now she's gone.  And there that is.  Not sure why it has made me so sad today, but it has.

As we get older, the deaths begin to stack up.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 6

On 2/20/2023 at 5:20 PM, Sandman said:

I was in London a couple of months ago, did a lot of walking. After the second day, my left knee felt like it was full of broken glass and both calves screamed when using stairs. I felt much better a couple of days later but to this day, my knee explodes when I straighten it out. 

Well, that’s not as bad as Mrs. Brat’s last trip to London….

B0E17D9F-9159-40D1-ABF6-9687990E2CDA.jpeg

• Like 2

Dammit. In November I sprained my left knee with a torqued up golf swing into a solidly planted left foot. I’d say I’m 95% healed from that.

Today I was in my garage throwing darts. To liven it up, I try different angles, then I backed up to the far wall and started throwing them overhand like a baseball.

Then I kicked and delivered like I was a kid, back on the high school mound, and sprained my right knee. I can’t straighten it, I can’t walk, I had to get my wife to go to my warehouse and find my crutches.

And I’ve got important meetings with clients and business travel the rest of the week.

Fuck this getting old nonsense, I’m only 50.

Spraining a knee throwing darts in my garage is pathetic.

Once this shit heals I’m getting a Pilates reformer and starting a daily regimen.

• Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Dammit. In November I sprained my left knee with a torqued up golf swing into a solidly planted left foot. I’d say I’m 95% healed from that.

Today I was in my garage throwing darts. To liven it up, I try different angles, then I backed up to the far wall and started throwing them overhand like a baseball.

Then I kicked and delivered like I was a kid, back on the high school mound, and sprained my right knee. I can’t straighten it, I can’t walk, I had to get my wife to go to my warehouse and find my crutches.

And I’ve got important meetings with clients and business travel the rest of the week.

Once this shit heals I’m getting a Pilates reformer and starting a daily regimen.

Wait...you have a warehouse by your garage ?

Technically it’s a Lifestorage 10x20 space but warehouse sounds cooler. About 5 minutes from my house. Mainly for holiday decor, extra furniture, and crutches.

I do have a warehouse for boat storage.

I’m now in a Marriott with an elevated and iced knee. Tomorrow’s gonna be an ordeal.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2023 at 9:58 PM, BearSchlong said:

You need to stay away from the hallucinogens and these flashbacks will stop.

Edited by SHOOTER12

On 2/20/2023 at 8:39 PM, tbone_ said:

Just got back from 3 days of walking NYC. Avg 23k steps a day. I love that city.

I walked 30 miles in 3 days in Chicago the other day. I can walk all day it seems but standing in one spot for more than a couple of minutes is torture on my knees.  Went to see Bobby Wier last night with some friends that like to be up front at ACL Live ground area where there is no place to move around.  I barely lasted past the first set before I said fuck it and left as my my knees were locking up.  

59 and have had no major damage to my knees, just minor stuff here and there that is really adding up I guess.

I'll see what the ortho dr has to say next week.

Getting old sucks.

• Like 1

Hang tough. It will get better in a few days. Wear your sling. You will feel like you don't need it but it will keep your arm from extending if you slip. The LAST thing you want to do is catch yourself with your arm if you go down. 

When I had my first repair I went straight to a music festival. Maybe not the best move. One night I was coming back to bed in our rental house, kinda drunk, in the dark and tripped on some jeans on the floor. I bounced off the bed and hit the floor, and it hurt. But I had my sling on and couldn’t reach out to catch myself so no damage done, thankfully.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/9/2023 at 6:52 AM, Dennis Taylor said:

Circle of life

On 3/9/2023 at 7:46 AM, RPM said:

Should have seen me trying to open my pain meds with only my left hand. The struggle was real.

All of this shit.  Started developing arthritis about a year and a half ago. No big deal until about 8-8 months ago. It's developed to the point I'm having trouble opening my meds and supplements, not to even mention freaking jars and the like. Shits starting to spread like wildfire now.

Those rubber grippy mats work great for jar lids and, as it turns out, opening child lock bottles one handed. Set the mat on the counter and the bottle on the mat. Use the it to keep the bottle from spinning while you press and turn with your good hand. Senior hack.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

All of this shit.  Started developing arthritis about a year and a half ago. No big deal until about 8-8 months ago. It's developed to the point I'm having trouble opening my meds and supplements, not to even mention freaking jars and the like. Shits starting to spread like wildfire now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0B3MMH1DF/ref=sspa_mw_detail_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9kZXRhaWwp13NParams

Won’t help with childproof bottles but these cheap little under-cabinet jar openers are awesome. 

• Hook 'Em 1