Voter Suppression

Pancho

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, immamac said:

https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm-elections-texas-local-e838cfc1593ccb25ae88ee0670c13fed

Super weird how the is backfiring. Poll workers quitting in rural areas that are deep red and poll workers just not quitting in urban populated areas that voted blue. Lmao. 

not sure I'd call this backfiring. They'll use this mess of their own making to illustrate that liberals are suppressing their ability to vote. And they'll find a way to cram in MAGA diehards there so they can have their election. 

• Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

On 8/24/2022 at 11:02 AM, SydneyCarton said:

not sure I'd call this backfiring. They'll use this mess of their own making to illustrate that liberals are suppressing their ability to vote. And they'll find a way to cram in MAGA diehards there so they can have their election. 

Yeah, I’d say it’s going according to plan. 

• 5 weeks later...

NFL Votes enters its third season, adds partner in continuing league-wide voter education, registration and activism

All 32 clubs are activating around the initiative and all 30 NFL stadiums are available to be utilized for election-related activities if needed by local election officials

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-votes-enters-its-third-season-adds-partner-in-continuing-league-wide-voter-e

NBA will not schedule games on Election Day, Nov. 8, to promote voting in the U.S.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-will-not-schedule-games-on-election-day-november-8-to-promote-voting-in-the-u-s/

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Aggies can’t vote on campus any more

Does the aggy/GQP symbiosis get any more perfect than "we only want to make voting accessible in places that are 80-20 GQP, so let's make it impossible to vote at a location that's 70-30 GWP, which is relatively libtarded!"

Aggy/GQP: anti-democratic AND bad at math.  The fucking stupidity is perfection.

• Hook 'Em 2

that's an odd one. heavy R county, heavy R campus. maybe it's a staffing issue or they don't want students deciding the local races 

the same issue is happening at prairie view am, but that's just straight up suppressing the black vote 

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/25/waller-county-texas-voter-suppression/

Edited by tx 3 putt

that's an odd one. heavy R county, heavy R campus. maybe it's a staffing issue or they don't want students deciding the local races 

the same issue is happening at prairie view am, but that's just straight up suppressing the black vote 
https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/25/waller-county-texas-voter-suppression/

Is it heavy R?

20696303329f6b17cd78168024b49547.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, Gengs1 said:

They will be at highly democratic areas and they will just shut the polls down and move on. Will be sad 

my district is 70/30 dem. curious if anyone shows up and 100% why I early vote. no one is shooting up a polling place on a weds afternoon, early voting. election day, that's a different story 

Edited by tx 3 putt

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

my district is 70/30 dem. curious if anyone shows up and 100% why I early vote. no one is shooting up a polling place on a weds afternoon, early voting. election day, that's a different story 

Yea they just need to close a few and not reopened, will be a big problem for Democrats 

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

If you would like to join the forces to fight this at the polls, you can get trained as a poll watcher or work in other voter protection areas using the following link

https://secure.ngpvan.com/bCiC6Qh_9E-HFo7osU7x9w2?emci=6a9574cb-823e-ed11-a27c-281878b83d8a&emdi=6bc0caca-a43e-ed11-a27c-281878b83d8a&ceid=6875074

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Poll challengers should get beat the fuck down. If someone’s in my personal space while I’m voting, I’d tell them to fuck right off.

Yep.  Hell, I don't even like the people who walk up and ask me if I'm voting today and then go into their schpiel.  If they want to try to intimidate me, that's not going to end well either.

I have never voted D in a presidential election.  These folks are pushing me there.  Their motto should just be "Fuck Liberty."

8 minutes ago, slorch said:

Yep.  Hell, I don't even like the people who walk up and ask me if I'm voting today and then go into their schpiel.  If they want to try to intimidate me, that's not going to end well either.

I have never voted D in a presidential election.  These folks are pushing me there.  Their motto should just be "Fuck Liberty."

I scan the area outside the polling center. I park away from the people who are outside, don’t make eye contact with anyone, and just walk fast inside. When leaving, I have the “I voted sticker” somewhere in my hand so people can see I already casted my ballot and don’t bother me. 

I’ve voted probably 8 different times if you include primaries and only been stopped once by the outside poll influencers. Just do whatever you can to get inside as soon as possible because I think they can only bother you outside the building.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Welcome to the party pal.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll find an excuse to keep the steak alive.

Regardless of my choice, and it wasn’t Trump in 2020 nor will it be in ‘24; it should happen unencumbered.

So getting a first-hand look at this. Mom is in the hospital. Health issues for years, thought she might not make it out this time. Thankfully she has rebounded nicely. Still, getting her to a polling place is going to be an ordeal.

Saw an ad for applying for mail-in voting (which I guess it's a good thing there is some advertising for it?). Checked it out as mail-in would be considerably easier. To do so, I have to request an application form to fill out with her and mail it back in with signature. Then I have to hope they get it, and then they mail the actual ballot. Then I have to have her make cast her vote and then mail it back in. And I think it has to be received by voting day, not postmarked. So four different chances for something to get lost in the mail.

Is it impossible? No. But it's highly bureaucratic and has a lot of friction in allowing an old lady to vote.

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So getting a first-hand look at this. Mom is in the hospital. Health issues for years, thought she might not make it out this time. Thankfully she has rebounded nicely. Still, getting her to a polling place is going to be an ordeal.

Saw an ad for applying for mail-in voting (which I guess it's a good thing there is some advertising for it?). Checked it out as mail-in would be considerably easier. To do so, I have to request an application form to fill out with her and mail it back in with signature. Then I have to hope they get it, and then they mail the actual ballot. Then I have to have her make cast her vote and then mail it back in. And I think it has to be received by voting day, not postmarked. So four different chances for something to get lost in the mail.

Is it impossible? No. But it's highly bureaucratic and has a lot of friction in allowing an old lady to vote.

I requested a mail in ballot in 2020 and received it without issue.  I didn't end up using it (had to bring it to the polls and surrender it when I voted in person), but the process seemed relatively smooth.  Go ahead and do it.

• Hook 'Em 1

It seems too easy to me to be a non-shameful poll challenger that could effectively slow down an entire voting location by arguing that any person of color is not the person on their ID. 

Even if you don't stop one person from voting, it can impact voting behavior today and in the future if people have to double their wait time.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It seems too easy to me to be a non-shameful poll challenger that could effectively slow down an entire voting location by arguing that any person of color is not the person on their ID. 

Even if you don't stop one person from voting, it can impact voting behavior today and in the future if people have to double their wait time.

i don't think they're allowed that close to the process 

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

i don't think they're allowed that close to the process 

Here is one of their possible duties from the state of Texas

Q. What illegal activities should a watcher look for?

A. The election judge may be notified of any activity that appears to be prohibited by law.  

If any of the following activities occur, bring it to the election judge’s attention and note the individual(s) involved, including time and place of occurrence: 1. Election workers allowing voters to vote a regular ballot who do not (1) present an acceptable form of photo identification; (2) present a supporting form of ID and execute a Reasonable Impediment Declaration, if a voter does not possess and cannot reasonably obtain an acceptable form of photo identification; or (3) present a Voter Registration Certificate with an “E” notation on it.  [Sec. 63.001]. 

From reading the Texas pollwatcher guide https://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/forms/pollwatchers-guide.pdf I think the watcher has a right to pretty much observe anything other than the voter selecting the candidate.  

The watcher could seemingly slow down the entire precinct if they continually raised an issue with every voter. Eventually someone with authority would put a stop to watching misbehavior but there could already be damage.

6 hours ago, slorch said:

Acknowledges that Rs don’t care about liberty… still not sure how he’s going to vote.

Fail Nick Young GIF

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Acknowledges that Rs don’t care about liberty… still not sure how he’s going to vote.

Fail Nick Young GIF

not what I said, but make it say  what you want, CNN...

1)my comment was specific to the election challengers

2) It isn't a zero sum game, R vs D.

You fucksticks are such a beating.  You take shots even when we agree on something.

Edited by slorch

45 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Here is one of their possible duties from the state of Texas

From reading the Texas pollwatcher guide https://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/forms/pollwatchers-guide.pdf I think the watcher has a right to pretty much observe anything other than the voter selecting the candidate.  

The watcher could seemingly slow down the entire precinct if they continually raised an issue with every voter. Eventually someone with authority would put a stop to watching misbehavior but there could already be damage.

sounds different than watching...

I feel the need to note, for no particular reason, that Section 33.061 of the Texas Elections Code makes it a Class A misdemeanor for someone who "serves in an official capacity at a location at which the presence of watchers is authorized and knowingly prevents a watcher from observing an activity or procedure the person knows the watcher is entitled to observe, including by taking any action to obstruct the view of a watcher or distance the watcher from the activity or procedure to be observed in a manner that would make observation not reasonably effective."

I'm not aware of any statutes that make similar behavior a criminal offense for someone not serving in an official capacity. Also, poll watchers can be removed if they commit a breach of the peace.

17 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

I could see myself getting arrested if I even witness shitheel behavior by a poll thug inside a voting location. Few things make me as ragey, for some reason.

If some shithead gives you crap, just look at them and say "I don't know how much George Soros is paying you to try and prevent a God-fearing Christian like me from doing what President Trump asked, but I can assure you that it's not going to be enough when you go outside and find me waiting for you."

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

the man isn't keeping him down !

I assumed this was a GOP leader making some point that fake IDs could illegally used to vote. I was wrong.

He's a member of a Christian faith that has problems with State IDs. Considered the mark of the beast especially if used in facial recognition software. I guess he was ok  with a govt buddy making up this ID/photo since the image is not captured on a state database. It's nothing more than a photo on a nametag.

7 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I’ve mentioned before that he and his family are from a……VERY Alabama part of Alabama so I’m not at all surprised by their kooky religious beliefs.

But - how do they drive legally if picture IDs are forbidden?

If I had to guess, I’d guess that they’re full of shit and they have drivers licenses. But that’s just a guess.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, slorch said:

1)my comment was specific to the election challengers

Are you under the impression that these dumbass election challengers are isolated and acting on their own accord? That they came to the conclusion that elections were being rigged right under their noses on their own? That they haven't been lied to, manipulated, and egged on by the entirety of the GOP for two years, while red state Congresses push through more and more official legislation that tries to bypass the will of voters?

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I’ve mentioned before that he and his family are from a……VERY Alabama part of Alabama so I’m not at all surprised by their kooky religious beliefs.

But - how do they drive legally if picture IDs are forbidden?

he’s white in an extremely racist state