Voter Suppression

Pancho

10 minutes ago, FartingDreamer said:

Do you know if we are allowed to bring our phones into the polling place or will I have to stealthily sneak it in? 

5 minutes ago, FartingDreamer said:

I brought mine in without issue.  Granted, I wasn't waiving it around, but no one asked and there were no signs or anything that I was aware of.

Yeah, you can have it on you.  I discretely set my own on the machine and then got out my notes for local races.  The laws had to be written because nobody would give a shit if you put your election choices on your phone to-do list and referenced it.  It's that not much to stop you from there from snapping photos, even in airplane mode.  

I bet 10% of all alleged voter fraud from individual voters is somebody who just got confused, forgot their notes at work/home, and couldn't look at their phone.  And then go and put their ballot in for scanning and see something that ain't right, there's 3 D's on there or whatever.  When in fact, by the time you're voting for 3rd Place Justice of the Peace, your mind just wanders unless you have those obscure names written out on your person.  46 items on my ballot (granted many were unopposed Democrat judges) and I had the thing clocked, but I still had to take a long second-look at some down ballot shit make sure I got it right and I'm only half senile.  I realize most people vote straight ticket where I am, but you still gotta take your time and read through referendums and bond elections.  People with short attention spans like myself can't just wing it once we get there, we need copious notes with specific names.  I suppose it's because I voted for multiple members of three different parties, I gotta meticulously check my shit before hitting submit.  I guess one day when they compress voting down just 8 hours at one polling location on Election Day, I'll be so self-conscious about holding up the line, I'll vote straight ticket and "NO" and then just run away as fast as I can in my old age.  

I see Texas is just one of a handful of states with polls closing at 7:00p local time on Election Day.  Nearly every other state in the Republic offers expanded hours on Election Day proper, given people a chance to vote after work.  I don't mind 7-7 during early voting days plus weekends,  But Election Day proper should go until 8 or 9.  

A federal judge had to step in to change how poll workers were behaving in Beaumont. Texas off a strong start. Apparently white voters and black voters were receiving different treatment.

If you're already mistreating some voters, I seriously doubt a lecture from a federal judge stops you. Maybe you're not so blatant but you're not changing.

A federal judge barred poll workers at an election site in Beaumont, Texas, from engaging in certain conduct that Black voters said was intimidating.

US District Judge Michael J. Truncale, of the Eastern District of Texas, issued the temporary restraining order Monday in a case brought by Beaumont’s chapter of the NAACP, which alleged that White poll workers spoke aggressively to Black voters, hovered too close behind Black voters while the voters operated voting machines, and declined to help Black voters cast their ballots.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/midterm-election-results-livestream-voting-11-08-2022/h_f8b4d5887430f3bf7b0f22328cffa342

• Rage+1 3

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

A federal judge had to step in to change how poll workers were behaving in Beaumont. Texas off a strong start. Apparently white voters and black voters were receiving different treatment.

If you're already mistreating some voters, I seriously doubt a lecture from a federal judge stops you. Maybe you're not so blatant but you're not changing.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/midterm-election-results-livestream-voting-11-08-2022/h_f8b4d5887430f3bf7b0f22328cffa342

This is tame as shit compared to what is coming in 2024.

• Like 1

Just got back from voting at the Ben Hur Temple. No observable voter suppression, unless you count Kirk Watson running around the parking lot gladhanding. Other than that nobody said shit to me.

Had to laugh at the old that was using the voting station before me. They make it pretty simple with instructions: 1. make your choices, 2.  confirm your choices 3. print your ballot, and feed it into the scanner at the exit. This dude hauled ass after stage 1, not confirming his choices or printing the ballot. Just hauled ass. I had to call a poll worker over, who just cancelled his vote and extracted his blank ballot. Some people are just too stupid for modern voting technology. 

• Like 1

Just voted at the fire station, and it was very disconcerting. There were 4 or 5 guys sitting around in chairs near the entrance. They were all wearing blue pants, blue t-shirts, and heavy black boots. I think it must be some kind of cult or something! Who do I report this to?!?

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Just got back from voting at the Ben Hur Temple. No observable voter suppression, unless you count Kirk Watson running around the parking lot gladhanding. Other than that nobody said shit to me.

Had to laugh at the old that was using the voting station before me. They make it pretty simple with instructions: 1. make your choices, 2.  confirm your choices 3. print your ballot, and feed it into the scanner at the exit. This dude hauled ass after stage 1, not confirming his choices or printing the ballot. Just hauled ass. I had to call a poll worker over, who just cancelled his vote and extracted his blank ballot. Some people are just too stupid for modern voting technology. 

VOTER FRAUD!!!  YOU HAD HIS BALLOT CANCELLED!!!

36 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I know others disagree but we’re going backwards with voting tech. Previously we had paperless voting that many of us trusted. Now voting machines are printers that then have to be count again in a scanner. It’s the stupidest process.

it’s effectively that if I want to send someone an email, I draft the email, print it, scan it and send it. We’ve changed voting from 2 steps to 4 and more than doubled the voting time. Only because one party has pushed fraud conspiracies for at least 22 years with zero evidence. 

• Rage+1 1

Could the jelly bean jar be far behind?
https://www.texastribune.org/2022/11/07/voting-discrimination-lawsuit-beaumont/

Claims of misconduct during early voting were raised in a federal lawsuit filed Monday by the Beaumont chapter of the NAACP, accusing election workers of scrutinizing Black voters’ identities and shadowing them while at voting stations..

…White poll workers throughout early voting repeatedly asked in aggressive tones only Black voters and not White voters to recite, out loud within the earshot of other voters, poll workers, and poll watchers, their addresses, even when the voter was already checked in by a poll worker," the suit claims…

…White poll workers and White poll watchers followed Black voters and in some cases their Black voter assistants around the polling place, including standing two feet behind a Black voter and the assistant, while the voter was at the machine casting a ballot,” the suit continued. "White poll workers helped White voters scan their voted ballots into voting machines but did not similarly help Black voters scan their ballots.”

• Rage+1 2

47 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I know others disagree but we’re going backwards with voting tech. Previously we had paperless voting that many of us trusted. Now voting machines are printers that then have to be count again in a scanner. It’s the stupidest process.

it’s effectively that if I want to send someone an email, I draft the email, print it, scan it and send it. We’ve changed voting from 2 steps to 4 and more than doubled the voting time. Only because one party has pushed fraud conspiracies for at least 22 years with zero evidence. 

No remotely knowledgeable person had any good reason to trust those shitty machines. The new ones suck too, but they're slightly more trustworthy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah I do like the idea of having a printed record of the votes that can be fed through a different counting machine or hand counted, should the data be questioned.  There’s integrity issues that it doesn’t solve, like is the voter the correct person or a legal voter I guess, but it’s a good system for verifying votes cast.  Both in totality and for an individual to see their choices on paper before having them recorded. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

Could the jelly bean jar be far behind?
https://www.texastribune.org/2022/11/07/voting-discrimination-lawsuit-beaumont/

Claims of misconduct during early voting were raised in a federal lawsuit filed Monday by the Beaumont chapter of the NAACP, accusing election workers of scrutinizing Black voters’ identities and shadowing them while at voting stations..

…White poll workers throughout early voting repeatedly asked in aggressive tones only Black voters and not White voters to recite, out loud within the earshot of other voters, poll workers, and poll watchers, their addresses, even when the voter was already checked in by a poll worker," the suit claims…

…White poll workers and White poll watchers followed Black voters and in some cases their Black voter assistants around the polling place, including standing two feet behind a Black voter and the assistant, while the voter was at the machine casting a ballot,” the suit continued. "White poll workers helped White voters scan their voted ballots into voting machines but did not similarly help Black voters scan their ballots.”

Stop the press !!!!

Breaking News : old white people in Beaumont…..better sit down……..don’t like black people !

Sesame Street Fainting GIF

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Stop it. You can’t really think the new system is any more safe. Don’t be naive.

I don't think they're actually safer from hacking. I don't know the differences in terms of tech, though my understanding is that we should probably not be using any machines at all. But the old machines didn't even give you a printout to confirm who you'd voted for.  It didn't help that they were pretty similar to the Ohio Diebold machines that had a bunch of suspicious glitches in 2004. The new ones are a hassle and I don't actually trust that they're secure, but there's no reason so far to think there's been serious problems with them, while there was good reason to think there had been with the old machines.

23 hours ago, FartingDreamer said:

Minnesota not Texas, but I realized halfway through my ballot that I forgot who I was going to vote for on a local election.  Went back and asked one of the officials if I could quickly look at my phone and she said "oh fur sure (Minnesota), take it back with ya. Just keep it between the dividers!"

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Machine indicated a vote that I did not intend in one race. Did not issue a vote in that particular race but it showed as checked for someone. Probably just fat fingered it, but skipped a few of the races all in a cluster. Caught it on the review screen. 

Reported. This thread is for voter suppression not voter superpression.

• Haha 2

"We demand results later tonight, not in TWO WEEKS after fraudulent efforts to suppress election-denier candidates are concluded!" 

-Says election-denier supporters who constantly tell me "Our evidence the 2020 election was stolen will come out in TWO WEEKS!"

You'd think after all this time, your hollow threats that sound like a disgruntled parent talking to a toddler would wain.....you'd change your tone...but nope...it's either accept my complete and utter bullshit right now or WAIT TWO WEEKS for adult evidence!  In two years, you guys couldn't formulate a lawsuit filing, let alone overtake a national election.  It's not because you're wrong, it's because the people you put in charge of it are fucking stupid.  You get it?  You're not special.  You're not right.  You're not uneducated.  You're just fucking stupid.  Nothing wrong with that, I just don't you in charge of my country.  Stupid's fine.  Stupid is what a lot of your mom's were in order to get talked into fucking in order to birth you in the first place.  It's okay.  Some of the stupidest people I know have advanced degrees in challenging fields.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Democrats had a surprisingly good election night on Tuesday. They held on to a number of critical Senate seats, won key gubernatorial races, and, shockingly still, had a slight avenue to hold on to control of the House of Representatives, despite historic headwinds and virtually no margin for error. Still, Republicans are currently forecast to win control of the House by a small margin, carrying the chamber by one to 10 seats. If that projection holds, it will be no overstatement to say that the conservative majority of the U.S. Supreme Court took control of the House of Representatives for Republicans.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/11/supreme-court-republican-control-house-alito-mccarthy-gift.html

The reason is simple: In February, by a 5–4 vote, SCOTUS suspended the Voting Rights Act’s ban on racial gerrymandering. For decades, the VRA prohibited states from drawing congressional maps that dilute the votes of racial minorities by depriving them of a fair opportunity to elect their preferred representatives. Sensing an ally in the judiciary, red states brazenly violated this principle during the latest round of redistricting. In states like Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, South Carolina, and Texas, Republican lawmakers packed racial minorities into as few districts as possible. These lawmakers then carved up remaining minority communities, distributing them throughout majority-white districts.

• Rage+1 1

• 3 weeks later...