What do you do if you win the lottery for realz?

Sbbruin

6 hours ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

I would open my non-profit camp for veterans to be able to have a place to get the fuck away from the bullshit of their lives and go find a place that is as close of a recreation to the place we wish we could go back to. It would be built like a fob in the middle of no where surrounded by mountains and have tents and CHUs. They would be able to take their families. Whenever I roll open this camp, whether I win the lottery or not, I want to run simulations with paintball guns for OPFOR and QRF to do infiltration and reaction as well as figure out something to simulate explosions for indirect fire for spouses and adult children so they understand why their service members have such a hard time readjusting and be more understanding with us. The families likely wouldn't be either opfor or qrf, although that may be something that could be incorporated depending on how it would work. You know waivers of liability and shit. There are so many things that can happen on a deployment so I'm sure I would add more lanes for the families to experience to help them begin to build a bridge with their service member. The bottom line is I ultimately want to help cut down on the number of divorces for service members because I think that will help cut down on the number of suicides for veterans and service members.

We got guys talking about buying high school volleyball teams and here you come with this very thoughtful, considerate, heartworming gesture. What the hell is wrong with you?

1a)

- I would buy the largest amount of (connected) land that I could.

- Fence it all in.

- Built a modest house (for the winnings) for the kids and their mother.

- Build tiny cabins throughout the property.  These would be where I would stay.

- Kick ass barn with whatever animals my kids and their mother wanted to have.

1b) 

split the winnings with the mother of my children and GTFO.

Edited by ernest_t_bass

13 hours ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

I would open my non-profit camp for veterans to be able to have a place to get the fuck away from the bullshit of their lives and go find a place that is as close of a recreation to the place we wish we could go back to. It would be built like a fob in the middle of no where surrounded by mountains and have tents and CHUs. They would be able to take their families. Whenever I roll open this camp, whether I win the lottery or not, I want to run simulations with paintball guns for OPFOR and QRF to do infiltration and reaction as well as figure out something to simulate explosions for indirect fire for spouses and adult children so they understand why their service members have such a hard time readjusting and be more understanding with us. The families likely wouldn't be either opfor or qrf, although that may be something that could be incorporated depending on how it would work. You know waivers of liability and shit. There are so many things that can happen on a deployment so I'm sure I would add more lanes for the families to experience to help them begin to build a bridge with their service member. The bottom line is I ultimately want to help cut down on the number of divorces for service members because I think that will help cut down on the number of suicides for veterans and service members.

You could call it Camp Flashback. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You could call it Camp Flashback. 

I'm not sure what I will call it. But I know that society expecting us to revert back to the men and women we were before we deployed is horseshit. That person largely no longer exists. So at least the most important people in our lives need to be able and willing to meet us somewhere in the middle to help us with our adjustment. Having a place for my brothers and sisters to go to just get away from the doldrums of whatever life they come home to here in the States that is safe and as close to where we wish we could go back to will help as well. We all leave parts of ourselves on the battlefield and this might be a way to go and find them again while dealing with our trauma.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

I'm not sure what I will call it. But I know that society expecting us to revert back to the men and women we were before we deployed is horseshit. That person largely no longer exists. So at least the most important people in our lives need to be able and willing to meet us somewhere in the middle to help us with our adjustment. Having a place for my brothers and sisters to go to just get away from the doldrums of whatever life they come home to here in the States that is safe and as close to where we wish we could go back to will help as well. We all leave parts of ourselves on the battlefield and this might be a way to go and find them again while dealing with our trauma.

I haven't served so I don't know what it's like. But from your description my first thought was that it could bring back traumatic memories for the vets. I'm definitely sympathetic to the cause. Whatever works. 

But the concept of Camp Flashback made me chuckle so I thought I'd share it. Just to be a smartass.

• Fuck You 1

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

I haven't served so I don't know what it's like. But from your description my first thought was that it could bring back traumatic memories for the vets. I'm definitely sympathetic to the cause. Whatever works. 

But the concept of Camp Flashback made me chuckle so I thought I'd share it. Just to be a smartass.

I see the potential for humor with naming it that and I'm also aware that it could bring back traumatic memories. The problem though is that we always have the traumatic memories and they pervade our thoughts constantly. So having a real life way to play out the scenarios and find closure for them with the people we care about the most will help us and them to grow closer and ultimately save marriages, then by extension lives.

19 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

I see the potential for humor with naming it that and I'm also aware that it could bring back traumatic memories. The problem though is that we always have the traumatic memories and they pervade our thoughts constantly. So having a real life way to play out the scenarios and find closure for them with the people we care about the most will help us and them to grow closer and ultimately save marriages, then by extension lives.

They talked about the problem with vets and PTSD on PBS News Hour tonight. I've seen various reports on the subject. They've had some success with MDMA (ecstasy) therapy. I think it was on Sunday Morning on CBS this week that they had a report on Homegrown by Heroes and  how some vets are using farming to cope. 

https://www.farmvetco.org/hbh/

I've seen reports on animal therapy having success. I want to say I've seen a report on guys using fly fishing to cope. I don't have any answers but the reports of the number of service members affected is pretty disturbing. I forget the exact figure they reported on PBS but it was either 1-in-4 or 1-in-5 vets who've served in Iraq or Afghanistan suffer the effects of PTSD. I know it's a serious problem. 

• Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They talked about the problem with vets and PTSD on PBS News Hour tonight. I've seen various reports on the subject. They've had some success with MDMA (ecstasy) therapy. I think it was on Sunday Morning on CBS this week that they had a report on Homegrown by Heroes and  how some vets are using farming to cope. 

https://www.farmvetco.org/hbh/

I've seen reports on animal therapy having success. I want to say I've seen a report on guys using fly fishing to cope. I don't have any answers but the reports of the number of service members affected is pretty disturbing. I forget the exact figure they reported on PBS but it was either 1-in-4 or 1-in-5 vets who've served in Iraq or Afghanistan suffer the effects of PTSD. I know it's a serious problem. 

It absolutely is. I dont pretend to think that my idea is the only way for veterans to get a handle on what we've been through.

I also want to have pygmy goats at my camp. I find it's hard to stay in a bad mood around pygmy goats because they always seem to be happy and having a good time. The way they jump and move is somehow therapeutic.

39 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

It absolutely is. I dont pretend to think that my idea is the only way for veterans to get a handle on what we've been through.

I also want to have pygmy goats at my camp. I find it's hard to stay in a bad mood around pygmy goats because they always seem to be happy and having a good time. The way they jump and move is somehow therapeutic.

You could offer goat yoga! That seems to be popular. They are cute. CBS Sunday Morning has done a piece or two on goat rescue, goat therapy, and goat yoga. There have been some vets featured in the reporting. 

• Fuck You 1

Always take the cash option. The annuity payments aren't equal, anyway. I saw a breakdown where the first payment would be around $9m and the final $40m (both after taxes).

This. Cash now is always better than the promise of cash later. Times get tough someone in the gov is going to find a way to take it from you or not pay it at all.

Who buys lotto tickets?

The average American spends about $223 per year on lottery tickets, according to a survey from LENDedu. Massachusetts residents have the biggest taste for playing the odds, spending almost $763 per year on lottery tickets, the study found. North Dakotans are on the opposite end of the spectrum, spending about $44 per year on the lottery, or the lowest average figure among residents of all 50 states.

I would have never guessed the average was $223. I think I might spend $20-$40 a year on lottery tickets if that.

It's big enough now that I could fully fund some ideas that I've had for a while.

The experience of running rescue boats during Harvey last year makes me think that when I win tomorrow, I'm gonna buy a small property (aside from the several ranches I'll buy) that will be a training facility for volunteer rescue folks like "The Cajun Navy" etc.  I'll buy a fleet of vehicles equipped to travel in flooded areas and boats to rescue folks.  Will also buy a commercial kitchen on wheels that will travel with the fleet to feed volunteers and rescued families.  It will travel all over the country and help during disasters of all sorts.  I'm betting we beat FEMA there by a week.

I think this could be started for about $15-20mm and run on a budget of $1mm/yr, tops.  

• Like 3

I’ve decided that when I win, instead of trying to buy and maintain multiple properties,  I’m going to buy several segments from Equity Estates or the like and be able to travel and stay at those properties hassle free instead of hiring someone to maintain several vacation homes.

Between that travel and spending time on the ranch I’ll buy,  that’s plenty for me, other than the assorted random trips I’d take. 

14 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Who buys lotto tickets?

The average American spends about $223 per year on lottery tickets, according to a survey from LENDedu. Massachusetts residents have the biggest taste for playing the odds, spending almost $763 per year on lottery tickets, the study found. North Dakotans are on the opposite end of the spectrum, spending about $44 per year on the lottery, or the lowest average figure among residents of all 50 states.

I would have never guessed the average was $223. I think I might spend $20-$40 a year on lottery tickets if that.

Tax on the poor and uneducated. 

As mentioned before on the old site, would be cool to be like a Guardian Angel type and come across struggling couples, single parents or down on their luck types and drop some cash upon them for bills, new car(insurance covered for # of years), college fund for their kids.  I'd also do something for a lot of the Animal Care places for Rescues/No-Kill facilities.  Don't feel the wife and I would go that crazy on buying/spending much on personal luxuries, would travel quite a lot and help out family members of course. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2018 at 11:12 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Why stop at $1 million, for $292,201,338 you can guarantee win.

Until you split it 3 ways with other winners.

Then you be focked.