2019 PGA Championship @ Bethpage Black

Wally Fairway

He's won back to back US Opens, back to back PGA championships... going for a 3peat with the US Open. I can see him winning the other two majors, a green jacket coming before the Claret Jug.

But then again, more times than not, these guys with amazing starts usually settle down after a bit.

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

He's won back to back US Opens, back to back PGA championships... going for a 3peat with the US Open. I can see him winning the other two majors, a green jacket coming before the Claret Jug.

But then again, more times than not, these guys with amazing starts usually settle down after a bit.

Yep. Everyone was saying the same things about Rory, who is more talented than Koepka, and look where Rory is.

15 hours ago, Dewey said:

Just needs to make sure he doesn't do anything stupid like get engaged.

7 hours ago, EastTexan said:

CBS loves the Yankee cocksuckers. Bethpage Black has another major in '24, I believe.

Pretty sure it's the 2024 Ryder Cup scheduled for Bethpage.

Also, can somebody riddle me why Koepka has won only one regular PGA Tour event yet now has four majors to his credit?

We know Koepka can destroy the U.S. Open/PGA Championship course setup.  Narrow fairways, thick rough, fast greens.

Great.  Show us something else.  Win something else.  Anything else.  A regular tour stop.  WGC event.  Something.

Right now, Koepka is kinda like the golf version of Rafa Nadal.  A legit bad ass but pigeon-holed.  Nadal dominates clay.  Koepka dominates the U.S. Open setup.  But even Nadal won on grass and hard-court.  Brooks needs to win on different styles of courses before people start making the Tiger comparisons.

It's just bizarre that Brooks doesn't win more often.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

We know Koepka can destroy the U.S. Open/PGA Championship course setup.  Narrow fairways, thick rough, fast greens.

Great.  Show us something else.  Win something else.  Anything else.  A regular tour stop.  WGC event.  Something.

Right now, Koepka is kinda like the golf version of Rafa Nadal.  A legit bad ass but pigeon-holed.  Nadal dominates clay.  Koepka dominates the U.S. Open setup.  But even Nadal won on grass and hard-court.  Brooks needs to win on different styles of courses before people start making the Tiger comparisons.

It's just bizarre that Brooks doesn't win more often.

He did win on two completely different US Open tracks, though. I thought the first was a fluke since Erin Hills was really just a bomb-and-go-chase track that probably wasn't ready for a US Open or any kind of major championship. Erin Hills broke the record for players under-par at a US Open and Koepka was -16. I was much more impressed with him winning the '18 Open at Shinnecock with a much more Open-like +1.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 7:50 PM, Dewey said:

Golf runs in roughly 18-month hot streaks. Rory. Spieth. DJ. Justin Thomas was the hotter than the sun at the start of the last PGA tour season, and now he can't stay healthy. I've had a ton of respect for Brooks - he's on a heater to beat most heaters, up there with Tiger or Jack's best stretches in the majors. But he'll cycle back to earth, like they all do. If he doesn't, well then he's the next Tiger, and that will be fun to watch too.

The media need something to write about, so 18 is gonna come up. As fans, we don't have to crown him now for going 4-for-8, and we also don't have to run him down for not winning more on the PGA tour. He's fucking fun as hell to watch, and he puts a little bit of personality into golf by being a stubborn titty baby, which is fun to watch too. I'm enjoying the ride.

Side note - I really hope that this week jumpstarts Golden Boy.

Edited by capnamerca

2 hours ago, capnamerca said:

Side note - I really hope that this week jumpstarts Golden Boy.

Led the field in strokes gain putting - averaged 2.6 strokes gained per round, north of 10 for the tournament, three strokes better than 2nd place. That's damn impressive and given he funnels everything through the putter, a good sign I hope.

3 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Led the field in strokes gain putting - averaged 2.6 strokes gained per round, north of 10 for the tournament, three strokes better than 2nd place. That's damn impressive and given he funnels everything through the putter, a good sign I hope.

Can you imagine if he'd struck the ball even average?

Oh and he's now up to #11 in strokes gained putting on the season.

1 minute ago, capnamerca said:

Can you imagine if he'd struck the ball even average?

He only found the native area a handful of times which is 72 less times than Spieth three months ago would have done... So there's that. Hes only slightly less erratic than Phil now.

4 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Oh and he's now up to #11 in strokes gained putting on the season.

He only found the native area a handful of times which is 72 less times than Spieth three months ago would have done... So there's that. Hes only slightly less erratic than Phil now.

Lord how far the mightly have fallen when "slightly better than Phil with the driver" is a measure of progress.