How do you control mosquitos?

On 5/7/2019 at 9:05 AM, Beau Vine said:

Shit's out of hand here.  

I don't control them. Just splash on some DEET shit.

If you want to get up close and personal with the devastation that mosquitoes can cause when you take a leak, read "Travels in Siberia" by Ian Frazier.

It's a good read, imo. 

But Russia has two things in abundance: trash and mosquitoes.

2 hours ago, benson32 said:

I sprayed Bifen XTS with a hose sprayer Monday. I haven't seen a mosquito since and we back up to woods. It's insect napalm. Where do I send my $9.95?

I bought this sprayer (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UER1S2I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and set it to 2 teaspoons per gallon of water.

that's the sprayer i have, i set it to 2T/gallon also. 

2 hours ago, kmac30 said:

So I got the Bifen and was in a rush last night to spray. I think I miscalculated and used way too much. What setting do I put my hose end sprayer on? 1 oz per gallon? I think that’s wrong. Bifen says mix in the sprayer 1 oz per gallon and that should cover 1k sq ft. Is that the same coverage I should get with my hose end sprayer going at 1oz per gallon? I have a big yard but feel like I used way too much product.

yes 1 oz/gallon is correct.  it's the same as setting it to 2 t/gallon on your hose end sprayer if you have the same one as benson does.  

if i fill up my hose end sprayer bottle and set the dial to 2 t/gallon i usually use somewhere between 1/4 or 1/2 of the plastic bottle for 1,000 yards.  depends how fast i'm moving.  

On 5/19/2019 at 8:58 AM, Parliament said:

Skeeters are weak fliers.  I think they can only travel 100 yards?  Whatever that distance is, do not worry about killing them out there.

Bullshit

https://www.mosquito.org/page/FAQ

How far can mosquitoes fly?
Mosquito species preferring to breed around the house, like the Asian Tiger Mosquito, have limited flight ranges of about 300 feet. Most species have flight ranges of 1-3 miles. Certain large pool breeders in the Midwest are often found up to 7 miles from known breeding spots. The undisputed champions, though, are the saltmarsh breeders - having been known to migrate up to 100 miles in exceptional circumstances, although 20 to 40 miles are much more common when hosts are scarce. When caught up in updrafts that direct them into winds high above the ground, mosquitoes can be carried great distances. 

I tried that DynaTrap "1 acre" thing.  Their indoor light-and-flypaper thing works great for catching flies and gnats and whatnot.  So I gave the mosquito thing a shot down at the bay.

It's this big thing with a UV light, a fan and a cage trap at the bottom.  Idea is that the mosquitoes are attracted to the fan/UV combo, then they get sucked into the trap and can't get out. 

Anyway, it seemed to catch a ton of bugs while the mosquitoes flew by on their way to bite us.   About as useless as those propane-powered CO2-generating mosquito magnets from a few years back (but a lot cheaper FWIW).

The yard sprays and the propane-powered fogger are still the only things I've seen that really worked.  I can't figure out how to not breathe the fog when spraying, so I'm going to spray around the house with the Bifen XTS per above.

How far many yards out from my house should I spray the Bifen XTS?  No fences down there but the neighbors' houses are about 15 yards away on left and right.  Front is about 25 yards  in front of all the houses to the waterline - it runs for hundreds of yards left and right.

7 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I tried that DynaTrap "1 acre" thing.  Their indoor light-and-flypaper thing works great for catching flies and gnats and whatnot.  So I gave the mosquito thing a shot down at the bay.

It's this big thing with a UV light, a fan and a cage trap at the bottom.  Idea is that the mosquitoes are attracted to the fan/UV combo, then they get sucked into the trap and can't get out. 

Anyway, it seemed to catch a ton of bugs while the mosquitoes flew by on their way to bite us.   About as useless as those propane-powered CO2-generating mosquito magnets from a few years back (but a lot cheaper FWIW).

The yard sprays and the propane-powered fogger are still the only things I've seen that really worked.  I can't figure out how to not breathe the fog when spraying, so I'm going to spray around the house with the Bifen XTS per above.

How far many yards out from my house should I spray the Bifen XTS?  No fences down there but the neighbors' houses are about 15 yards away on left and right.  Front is about 25 yards  in front of all the houses to the waterline - it runs for hundreds of yards left and right.

Dynatraps have worked great for me, but I had to leave it running for 6 weeks before it really started working. 

15 hours ago, benson32 said:

I sprayed Bifen XTS with a hose sprayer Monday. I haven't seen a mosquito since and we back up to woods. It's insect napalm. Where do I send my $9.95?

I bought this sprayer (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UER1S2I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and set it to 2 teaspoons per gallon of water.

the transparent bottle is an excellent idea; wish all of these types of products had that as a default, how else does one knwo when the spray is depleted? I have something like that but I add coloring such as a bit of grapejuice to see how much of the poison remains. Wish the actual liquid was dark colored, precious few manufacturers have that wisdom.  BTw, great link. 

2 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Ran it from March to last weekend non-stop.  Completely ineffective.  Makes a decent black light, though. 

don't mosquitoes need a C02 attractant such as Octenol? I believe mosquitoes don't attract to light, other bugs do, but not skeeters who are blind to it. So something smelly is needed right? 

Flowtron gets high praise from many - but needs Octenol 

06c6ab96-bb28-4e6f-9b77-4352649a6fe6_1.7

Edited by NowThis

18 hours ago, Hate said:

I’ve got 3 Cutter cintronella candles burning on my porch, I sprayed with the cutter dry, I’m in the Houston area and I haven’t had a single bite all night.

The cutter spray works, but not the citronella.  

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/02/want-repel-mosquitoes-don-t-use-citronella-candles

16 hours ago, NowThis said:

don't mosquitoes need a C02 attractant such as Octenol? I believe mosquitoes don't attract to light, other bugs do, but not skeeters who are blind to it. So something smelly is needed right? 

Flowtron gets high praise from many - but needs Octenol 

06c6ab96-bb28-4e6f-9b77-4352649a6fe6_1.7

“Octenol” is marketing nonsense.  It’s why those $600 mosquito magnets didn’t work either.

“Compared to the powerful attraction carbon dioxide has for mosquitoes, octenol is a minor chemical insect attractant and will not improve the overall performance or effectiveness of the device.”

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1997/07/970730060806.htm

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Reviving this. Got spartan in late Feb. I have 4 on a little over half an acre. I can’t figure they’re doing much. Should I see skeeters in the water? Should I place them in more visible paths? I’m spraying Bifen tonight (depending on future rain forecast) and ripping down my gutters.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...