Alaska

On 4/21/2021 at 4:09 PM, Chewbacca said:

That looks awesome.  I'm heading to this place with my son in August.  It's been a couple years since I was there and we're out of fish.  Can't wait.  The nice part is that Sitka has a runway that can handle 737s, so from Denver it's just one connection through Seattle and you land 5 minutes from the lodge.  But there is only one road on the island (I think it's less than 20 miles long).

https://www.kainsfishingadventures.com/

This looks pretty awesome, how did it go and would you recommend them?

Just now, hornbri said:

This looks pretty awesome, how did it go and would you recommend them?

I've been to them 3 times, including this August.  It's always amazing.  They put you on a ton of fish and by the end of 3 days of fishing, you've got ~100# of fish per person to bring home.  Sometimes more, sometimes less, but it's always been right around there for me.  Salmon, halibut and rockfish.  Sometimes you'll get a lingcod or black cod, but that's pretty rare.

Just gotta make sure you fly Alaska Air because they're the only ones that fly 737s up there and the smaller planes can have weight issues with all the fish coming home.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Feeling a weird excitement about going. Can't explain it. I've traveled alot but to be going to Alaska has me feeling a certain way. I would have never dreamed this as a kid

I was born and raised there and we are headed up for two weeks at Christmas.  Dudes (it’s never ladies) have been known to fall in love with the place and never return down south. Hope you have a great time up there, but Anchorage still sucks.  It’s the Houston of Alaska. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

Didn't do shit but chill with her family but it was cool and the scenery is nuts. Saw a big fucking moose in the backyard.

20211119_140927.jpg

20211119_140922.jpg

20211119_130900.jpg

The Aurora forecast is moderate tonight.  Maybe you'll see them in Anchorage.

I live about 5 hours North in the Denali Borough.  The Lights have been incredible so far this year.  The best time to see them is when it is dark and cold.  We'll hit 30 below tonight easy.  it's already 25 below and the sky is clear.

If you get a wild hair and want to drive up, let me know.  Hotels are available in Healy.  It's the Winter, so no worries about getting a room.  There is no one here.  The only restaurant open in Healy is the Totem.  Very mediocre.  About 30 miles North is the Clear Sky Lodge, also very mediocre.

My wife and I live old school...log cabin, no electricity, no indoor plumbing.  If shit like that interests you, we can show you how to survive the inevitable zombie apocalypse.

Enjoy your stay.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Moose's tooth 11/10 would recommend again. Had a fun time there and the bartender grew up in East Dallas and to Mesquite High so we had a random connection and got pretty hammered while eating badass pizza. Hit up Raspberry Roots dispensary for some goodies and I'm high as hell right now. My gf's dad gave me a coat he used to wear on the slope with wolf around the hoo (is that PC to say?) it's pretty badass and works amazing because it feels like -2 right now and I was warm as hell outside. Tomorrow's menu is jalapeno caribou sausage, halibut, moose and bear. No idea how bad I might tear up some bathrooms. 

20211120_141738.jpg

20211120_183157.jpg

20211120_231225.jpg

Screenshot_20211120-234334_Instagram.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Last few days my gf had to work so we didn't do much. We went upper Rabbit Creek area last night smoking and chilling because I wanted to see the houses up there and I thought I saw 2 big ass dogs or coyotes and today her dad got an email from some neighboring HOA about wolves that killed a few dogs roaming around. I'm easily impressed and thought it was badass. Had some halibut ceviche today and it was very good. 49th state brewing is a cool spot and has a great view of Mt. McKinley.

Post Thanksgiving plans are to hit firewood for some tubing and visit the Alaska wildlife conservation center.

20211121_154645.jpg

20211121_162159.jpg

20211121_162426.jpg

20211123_131601.jpg

Edited by Zepol87
  • Like 1

In the starting stages of planning a 10 day trip with extended family in june/july. 10 people - from 3 yo to 73 yo. 

thinking will rv this up (2 rvs) - never done that so should be a challenge.

That or  12/15-passenger van + airbnb(s). 

going to stick to kenai peninsula for most part. Might go to denali for 2 days. Not sure if worth it. 

alaska is damn expensive. The tourism industry needs to extract all tourist money in 3-4 months only. 

On 11/23/2021 at 6:31 PM, Zepol87 said:

Last few days my gf had to work so we didn't do much. We went upper Rabbit Creek area last night smoking and chilling because I wanted to see the houses up there and I thought I saw 2 big ass dogs or coyotes and today her dad got an email from some neighboring HOA about wolves that killed a few dogs roaming around. I'm easily impressed and thought it was badass. Had some halibut ceviche today and it was very good. 49th state brewing is a cool spot and has a great view of Mt. McKinley.

Post Thanksgiving plans are to hit firewood for some tubing and visit the Alaska wildlife conservation center.

49th state brewing was awesome when I went. Cold as fuck outside, huge fire pit inside, and the most perfect soft pretzel with beer.

• Hook 'Em 1

Last few days got some snow..shoveling the driveway sucked ass. I'm over this cold shit. Today we went to midnight sun brewing but they had a rule of only 36 oz per customer. Evidently it is a state law but not many enforce it or some shit. Dispensaries are awesome and sledding is fun. Doing girdwood tomorrow 

20211127_190630.jpg

20211127_191025.jpg

On 11/25/2021 at 10:06 PM, remoh said:

In the starting stages of planning a 10 day trip with extended family in june/july. 10 people - from 3 yo to 73 yo. 

thinking will rv this up (2 rvs) - never done that so should be a challenge.

That or  12/15-passenger van + airbnb(s). 

going to stick to kenai peninsula for most part. Might go to denali for 2 days. Not sure if worth it. 

alaska is damn expensive. The tourism industry needs to extract all tourist money in 3-4 months only. 

Are you talking about renting an RV or van once you get there or driving some somewhere in the lower 48?   Because it's a fucking beating to drive.   Absolutely beautiful scenery once you get into Canada and then Alaska but it's a beating.   From Houston/Dallas/Austin, you're looking at 60+ hours of driving.   Even if you pull off 12 or even 14 hours days, you're still going to spend 5 days on the road each way.   You won't be blazing through northern British Columbia, the Yukon then Alaska at 65 or 70 miles an hour either.   More like 45 or 50 for long stretches and that is if there isn't a lot of road construction and in July there most likely will.   And that doesn't account for getting into Canada and back into the US in Alaska.  

So I hope you're planning on flying.

6 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Are you talking about renting an RV or van once you get there or driving some somewhere in the lower 48?   Because it's a fucking beating to drive.   Absolutely beautiful scenery once you get into Canada and then Alaska but it's a beating.   From Houston/Dallas/Austin, you're looking at 60+ hours of driving.   Even if you pull off 12 or even 14 hours days, you're still going to spend 5 days on the road each way.   You won't be blazing through northern British Columbia, the Yukon then Alaska at 65 or 70 miles an hour either.   More like 45 or 50 for long stretches and that is if there isn't a lot of road construction and in July there most likely will.   And that doesn't account for getting into Canada and back into the US in Alaska.  

So I hope you're planning on flying.

Haha. Yeah. Sorry. Renting RV there. 

Though that plan has already been vetoed.  Wouldn't be comfortable for some in the traveling party. Lol. 

So now we flying in. Renting a ford transit 12p van and driving around and spread over 3 airbnbs. 

1st 2 nights - talkeetna

next 3 - coopers landing

last 3 - homer

We just booked tickets and got airbnbs. 

now hoping this omicron strain doesnt escalate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I asked the locals and they said your trip sounds like a badass idea. Update the thread when you do it. 

It has been snowing like a bitch for 2 days. Went sledding at the bluff, it was a blast but fuck that walk back up the hill. Hitting Arctic valley on Saturday. Xalos at 100th at C st is solid ass burritos and tortas if you want that. 907 Alehouse food isn't great but a good spot to watch football, midnight sun brewery is the only place I have been that enforces the 36oz cut off for alcohol. Had no idea that was a law.

20211130_220351.jpg

20211201_145919.jpg

20211201_152128.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2021 at 7:38 AM, Macanudo said:

Is the 36 oz a brewery/brew pub law or something recent?   Because I definitely had way more than 3 beers at Moose's Tooth on more than one occasion back in the day.

So evidently it's been a thing but only the small places have it  because they pay a cheaper liquor license. That's what I was told at least 

Flying ho home tomorrow. Been a fun ass 3 weeks but the weather fucked up the girdwood trips. Webt to arctic valley last weekend that was pretty badass. Last meal is at Humpy's. I'll be back in the summer and the an is to do a fuck ton of fishing with her dad's upper slope connects. I'm fucking snowed out though. 

20211210_205022.jpg

Screenshot_20211210-210757_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20211210-210851_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20211210-211011_Photos.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

We flew into Juneau yesterday to stay at our new place for the first time. It’s a crazy snowy white Christmas with a high of 25* and about 18” on the ground. The house is amazing and will be on the VRBO market shortly if anybody’s looking for a place to stay that doesn’t suck.  

AB308006-F342-4149-8CD9-F09CD716E81F.jpeg

Edited by USCATX

• 5 months later...
We flew into Juneau yesterday to stay at our new place for the first time. It’s a crazy snowy white Christmas with a high of 25* and about 18” on the ground. The house is amazing and will be on the VRBO market shortly if anybody’s looking for a place to stay that doesn’t suck.  
AB308006-F342-4149-8CD9-F09CD716E81F.thumb.jpeg.625e3256912a2a7336651cc049a94f65.jpeg
Do i get to use the boat? I want to use the boat.

On 6/13/2022 at 11:45 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 12/22/2021 at 1:28 PM, USCATX said:
AB308006-F342-4149-8CD9-F09CD716E81F.thumb.jpeg.625e3256912a2a7336651cc049a94f65.jpeg

Do i get to use the boat? I want to use the boat.

I’ll leave it gassed up and ready at any dock in southeast, $105k.  Maybe that will inspire me to get a new one on order. 

D56C2552-2CC5-4268-BC83-8FAC5DF4AD33.jpeg

• Like 1